Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2018 - 05:04 PM)

The reason is even worse. :(

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 January 2018 - 04:34 PM)

That moron is a shame to his profession.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2018 - 09:34 AM)

I just think a Judge going on and Jury Tampering, trying to make the Jury think a sex taffiker is innocent is sickening. *won't say why he did that as that goes in P&R*

@  Sabrblade : (20 January 2018 - 09:21 AM)

Heh, the schedules for my work weeks begin with Saturday

@  wonko the sane? : (20 January 2018 - 07:01 AM)

Thing about the US is... you can say that any time you want as much as you want. You're still going to get shot, but it might not be because you said that though.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 January 2018 - 02:20 AM)

You just did.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2018 - 02:18 AM)

Can I just say that right now... I hate the USA?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 January 2018 - 01:34 AM)

There are languages where the days are named for numbers and Sunday is "one". Like Arabic.

@  Pennpenn : (20 January 2018 - 01:31 AM)

Isn't it sort of a religious thing for Sunday to be the start of the week but most people just go with the first day they go to work for the week?

@  unitremover : (20 January 2018 - 01:02 AM)

I feel like I've known plenty of Americans who'd say Monday is the first day of the week.

@  Pennpenn : (20 January 2018 - 12:57 AM)

Personally Monday will always be the first day of the week for me. The notion that Sunday is somehow the first day of the week seems completely nonsensical to me.

@  Pennpenn : (20 January 2018 - 12:57 AM)

I'm fairly sure it is in Australia, but that tends to get blurred because of US influence.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 January 2018 - 12:19 AM)

(It's Sunday here in the U.S.)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 January 2018 - 12:18 AM)

Anyone here live in a country where Monday is considered the first day of the week?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 January 2018 - 08:40 PM)

Maybe?

@  Patchouli Kn... : (19 January 2018 - 08:38 PM)

But do they search barf?

@  BlackMax : (19 January 2018 - 08:38 PM)

Under water, the fish don't stink.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 January 2018 - 07:42 PM)

I read that at first as "Everyone is a fish...."

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 January 2018 - 06:08 PM)

Everyone has a fetish, I guess.

@  BlackMax : (19 January 2018 - 05:56 PM)

I parsed it as "search barf" at first.

@  Nevermore : (19 January 2018 - 05:05 PM)

Robowang nude hiden cam photos

@  Robowang : (19 January 2018 - 02:54 PM)

Oh, hey, that's not the search bar! Whoops.

@  Robowang : (19 January 2018 - 12:48 PM)

reflector camera mode

@  MEDdMI : (19 January 2018 - 12:14 PM)

But did you get a Snowbombcyclopsragnarokdoomstorm like the US NE got last week?

@  Nevermore : (19 January 2018 - 11:40 AM)

Netherlands? We got one hell of a storm here in Germany the other day too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 January 2018 - 01:59 AM)

When that happens in Cocoa Beach there's always someone getting out their surfboard.

@  CORVUS : (19 January 2018 - 12:04 AM)

Damn!

@  Telly : (18 January 2018 - 10:29 PM)

holy hug

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (18 January 2018 - 06:27 PM)

Goddamn look what happened to the Dutch this week.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (18 January 2018 - 06:27 PM)

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/954066379610628097

@  Locoman : (18 January 2018 - 03:43 PM)

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand brick and mortar.

@  siccoyote : (18 January 2018 - 04:31 AM)

Who sings the first part of the GIJoe The Movie theme song? (Cobra) Sounds so familiar.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 10:46 PM)

Also true.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 10:40 PM)

I hate brick and mortar stores around here.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 10:38 PM)

But I like the feel of the brick and mortar search a bit more. And I can see inside packages at brick and mortar. True, Amazon has a good return policy, but I like buying once and settling.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 10:37 PM)

I suppose I could save more if I bought more often from Amazon.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 10:36 PM)

Closest I got to "free" was 30% off warpath, which just about lined him up to the canadian price had he ever shown up around me. The pile of loot saved me a pile, but it was still pricy.

@  Shrug : (17 January 2018 - 09:34 PM)

Yeah, I purposefully waited on them because I knew they'd be perfect "add onto orders to get free shipping" fodder. Already gotten two that way. Technically "free" and I barely had to wait.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 09:21 PM)

That's how I feel about Prime Masters. Getting back into collecting last year taught me to be patient, which grants rewards most of the time.

@  Shrug : (17 January 2018 - 09:18 PM)

I want Starscream so hard after seeing him in person, but since he's the one being left behind by every other collector in my area, I feel like I can wait for a sale.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 09:09 PM)

I mean: I maybe woulda jumped on starscream if I found a sale or something, but it wasn't a priority.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 09:08 PM)

I only wanted the dinobots (cause... volcanicus.) but got saddled with three I didn't want due to the bundling. I'd still be waiting to order if I had waited on individual figures.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 08:27 PM)

Ahh.. I just ordered the whole case cause I wanted too. :)

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 06:49 PM)

Mostly PotP dinobots. Plus some stuff I couldn't opt out of to get those dinobots. And CW warpath... cause he was on sale.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 04:54 PM)

What ya getting?

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 04:38 PM)

Yay! My package from BBTS is in canada! I might even get it this week!

@  Benbot : (17 January 2018 - 02:04 PM)

I need a laptop more than a new desktop

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 01:18 PM)

Buying a pre-built computer you should be okay.. It's just the individual parts that jumped huge in price.

@  Paladin : (17 January 2018 - 01:14 PM)

well all the idiots who invested in "bitcoin" will be selling theirs en masse to make ends meet so you might be able to find something cheap if you watch auctions.

@  Benbot : (17 January 2018 - 12:59 PM)

Is now a good time to buy a computer? Or should I wait?

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Transformers: The Basics

590 replies to this topic

#21 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

A taste of power.

• Staff
  • 43504 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:48 AM

That was wonderful! I really can see this being a totally comprehensible introduction for new folks that covers all the key points without disappearing down any random holes. 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#22 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 8923 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

The only thing I was surprised to not see mentioned (since you did manage to slip in the fact that Car Robots is a JG1 series while RiD 2001 is not) is how TF: Cybertron had a looser connection to Energon and Armada than those two had to each other.

Eh, I thought about it, but decided it wasn't worth it for this overview video. In a later one, if I go deeper into the UT, that's when it'll come up (honestly, RID only actually made it into THIS one as a "main" family because a grid of six LOOKED nicer than five - it's really been absorbed back into G1 in about every meaningful way at this stage).

PS any plans on talking about what a 3rd party toys are? I only ask because they've been around for nearly 10 years and know some newer fans don't understand the difference between 3rd party and official.

Hmn, I hadn't considered it, because it's not really my area, but that's a good point so it might be worth touching on somewhere down the line...

but I mean, but whats this guys credentials? Can this information really be trusted?

Hard to say.  He listed the WFC games in a different continuity than G1, so-

USER HAS BEEN SACKED FOR THIS POST.

You joke but I'm pleased to say I've had mercifully little of this type of response, 'cause I was expecting a lot more about how I'm some kind of Hasbrocuck for "believing the company spin" or some shit.

#23 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12010 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:56 PM

I do enjoy the "who cares its just a commercial hasbro only cares about money anymore" comment whoah now we got ourselves a real rebel here please deep thinker teach us more

M "Hasbro Used To LOVE Making The STORY More Than Anything ELSE Man, Conveniently That Was During My Childhood!" Sipher

The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#24 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 8923 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Geez, I know, it's like, I think you better hop off now, bud, cause the story-focus is only gettin' worse from here.

#25 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 2639 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

I like it!

Any ideas of what future episodes will entail?
"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#26 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 8923 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

I like it!

Any ideas of what future episodes will entail?

Yup! My theme for this month of weekly episodes is "Who, What, Where, and How." Episode #1 is HOW does the world of TF work. Episode #2 is WHO - all about characters, the story behind name re-use and the evolution of "legacy" characters. #3 is WHAT  - what is a Transformer? A biology ep! And #4 is WHERE - where did they come from? Creation stories from atechnogenesis to Quintessons to Primus! 

I think that ticks all the biggest boxes for the debut month, and after that - on what'll likely not be a weekly schedule - it'll get more spotlight-y, with episodes dedicated to particular concepts (like the Matrix, Energon, Spacebridges, the Thirteen, the multiverse/singularities), indvidual continuities (an IDW-focused ep that helps you figure out where to start reading will be one of the first ones), and individual character histories and evolutions.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 05 June 2017 - 05:45 PM.

#27 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 4911 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

What you have here is a nice little video that's interesting and entertaining even for someone who already knows everything you say in it, so well done. I look forward to more. Between this and the Danjalaguydkins podcast it's been really cool to put some voices to names. 

#28 Daniel Adkins

Daniel Adkins
  • Citizen
  • 1376 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

I really enjoyed the video Chris. One minor suggestion: it'd be nice to have some background music.

#29 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 15405 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:19 PM

Good video. I shared to people I know who have a passing interest in this stuff.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#30 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7562 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

Good video. I shared to people I know who have a passing interest in this stuff.

I'd show it to my wife, but if she ever realized that she could get explanations for all this geek crap online, she'd have no reason to keep me around anymore.
3DS Friend Code: 0490-6399-8582

#31 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 2639 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:31 PM

do one about spikes and valves

"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#32 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 8923 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:26 AM

Episode #2 is now live!

Why are there so many different Transformers characters with the same name... and why are they sometimes so different?

#33 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

A taste of power.

• Staff
  • 43504 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

These are going to be a fantastic resource to link people to for Transformers questions. I've given long and rambling explanations of these kinds of things before to people who were genuinely curious to have them explained. These videos do it a hell of a lot better.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#34 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25875 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

Video should be five seconds. "They're all Sideways."

#35 Devcon

Devcon

Notable, apparently

• Retired Staff
  • 11546 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

Very good stuff, Chris. Loving every moment :)
With many thanks to Alex Milne for the new Dragnet Avatar!

#36 Spacewarp

Spacewarp

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 21234 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

That was pretty good!

Edited by Verity Carlo, 10 June 2017 - 09:20 AM.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#37 Foffy

Foffy

All-Purpose Sheep

• Citizen
  • 7329 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

Another superb video, Chris. I think it really says something about your ability to explain things in an interesting way that I can watch these videos and be entertained by them despite knowing most if not all of the things that are being discussed. I'm really glad that these videos are gonna be out there for people who wanna learn about this stuff!

Avatar by the wonderful Cabooceratops and Copper Bezel

#38 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 23708 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

Another great episode.

How many episodes are you planning to make, Chris?

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#39 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 60675 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

That was great. :)

#40 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Staff