Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (24 April 2018 - 02:01 PM)

And only Optimus was angry. Hound and Crosshairs were happy jerks. They loved killing because killing gave them pleasure.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 April 2018 - 11:54 AM)

It was AoE, they were all jerks.

@  Broadside : (24 April 2018 - 11:09 AM)

I like his design. I think I've entirely blotted his personality out of my memory.

@  Shrug : (24 April 2018 - 06:53 AM)

Thats part of why I like the AoE/TLK bot crew so much. They seem like the angry jerks that'd actually survive in an extended war.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 April 2018 - 01:01 AM)

I dislike him despite the trenchcoat. He's a jerk, and not the lovable kind. One note, and that note is douchebag.

@  Cybersnark : (23 April 2018 - 04:47 PM)

Honestly, I like him DESPITE the "trenchcoat." I prefer to keep it folded behind him like some Gundam-style flight-pack.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2018 - 11:04 AM)

People really love movieverse Crosshairs sheerly for the sake of his trenchcoat, don't they?

@  Plokatron : (22 April 2018 - 10:17 PM)

@RichardT1977 @TM2-Megatron I'm not normally one to pull the Ruined Forever card but I care less than zip about anything involving the 2017 Power Rangers movie! They screwed it up worse than Bay past DoTM and a Mastodon has four legs not six! While I'm on this mini rant anyone remember the scans of the Super Sentai Mecha book from a while back? Would it be against the rules to ask if anyone knows where to find the new updated book scanned? I really want the Concept Art for ideas.

@  D Immortalis : (22 April 2018 - 03:39 PM)

hot damn...the new From Ashes To New album isfraggin amazing

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 April 2018 - 08:52 PM)

Just a few more days until my Battletech key goes live on GOG...

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 April 2018 - 08:51 PM)

The first Transformers live action film really IS a lot better than what popular culture has made it out to be.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2018 - 08:27 PM)

I dunno if I'd go that far. I enjoyed the first Bayformers more than the MMPR Movie remake

@  RichardT1977 : (21 April 2018 - 08:22 PM)

For the record, it was better than the (live-action) Transformers movies.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2018 - 08:21 PM)

No, I wasn't at the krispy kreme when I beat them. Wait, what?

@  Paladin : (21 April 2018 - 08:13 PM)

go back to Krispy Kreme

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2018 - 07:08 PM)

I beat five teenagers with attitude before, I can do it again.

@  Pennpenn : (21 April 2018 - 07:02 PM)

Great, after ten thousand years Wonko is free again. Does this mean more Power Rangers are needed? Again?

@  Patchouli Kn... : (21 April 2018 - 06:14 PM)

Ah, the layer of ice that froze it shut finally melted?

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2018 - 09:14 AM)

Oh my god! GUYS! It's actually warm enough I was able to open my window!

@  Sabrblade : (20 April 2018 - 11:14 PM)

Eh, I guess. He did fairly well on his own as an independent in his first appearance and such.

@  Otaku : (20 April 2018 - 10:04 PM)

@Sabrblade Vulture tends to fare poorly as his own boss. Working for a great version of Doc Ock ain't a bad gig... and I did ask if about "bad" as opposed to "not the best". ;)

@  Plokatron : (20 April 2018 - 09:53 PM)

@Egon1982 No my friend Mutator Spiders as in get caught in their web and you are mutated into a even more animalistic creature than you were. Hordika were Half Sentient beings half Wild animal and unlike Spiderman it affected each race slightly differnt with Toa being of a similar mutation to each other. My guess for Spiderman is he would become more spider like but with a inside skeletal structure hmm wonder what Visorak Venom would do to CNA make Dinobot Predacon like monsters or something wild?!

@  Paladin : (20 April 2018 - 04:15 PM)

compared to the "youth-sucking" gimmick from the other series? BIG step up.

@  Sabrblade : (20 April 2018 - 03:57 PM)

@Otaku: What about that show's take on Vulture? He had potential at first but he eventually just settled into being a lackey rather than his own boss.

@  Egon1982 : (20 April 2018 - 02:44 PM)

Did anyone else thought Thunder in Big Trouble in Little China when he was inflating looked like a garbage pail kid before he blew up into salad? I always thought that since seeing the movie in theaters at age 5. 

@  Egon1982 : (20 April 2018 - 02:25 PM)

Mutator spiders as in man-spider?

@  Otaku : (20 April 2018 - 11:06 AM)

Shocker was a pretty good villain in The Spectacular Spider-Man animated series. Wait, does that count since I can't think of a bad take on any character from that series? ;)

@  Arazyr : (20 April 2018 - 09:26 AM)

Ontario/Detroit area? Yeah. Supposedly, you could feel it from where I live, but I didn't notice. I never feel these things. 8(

@  Paladin : (20 April 2018 - 07:08 AM)

so that WAS an earthquake last night...

@  Plokatron : (19 April 2018 - 09:43 PM)

Webhead Vs. Mutater Spiders. Hmmm I can see this ending badly with HordikaMan Hey maybe it'd make Venom catchable with spider sense.

@  Broadside : (19 April 2018 - 09:16 PM)

Can't wait for Spider-Man to fight the Visorak

@  RichardT1977 : (19 April 2018 - 05:32 PM)

Aw, man!

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 April 2018 - 04:47 PM)

SNIPER NO SNIPING

@  Bass X0 : (19 April 2018 - 04:33 PM)

SNIPERER!

@  Paladin : (19 April 2018 - 10:34 AM)

hated that game. damn sniper level's insane.

@  Plokatron : (19 April 2018 - 08:21 AM)

You know what's funny? Both Spiderman and Bionicle have a title in common. Web of Shadows. :p

@  Liege : (19 April 2018 - 08:03 AM)

Don't mocks the Shocker!

@  unluckiness : (19 April 2018 - 04:46 AM)

But he's the second lamest Spider-Man villain

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 April 2018 - 10:56 PM)

You know.. for all intents and purposes, Shocker should have won in Kamen Rider 71.

@  Plokatron : (18 April 2018 - 06:55 PM)

:wtf :D :wtf Can't wait can't wait just a couple more days and I'm at Comiccon Cape! Gonna be a blast! I hope they have that freaking proper Master Sword Replica this year with the black handel (I love the one from the old comic drawn by the guy who did Cyborg 009)!!!

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 April 2018 - 05:55 AM)

Found on Cranialtome.

@  unluckiness : (18 April 2018 - 05:32 AM)

Oh, so MP-scaled Bill Cypher with stupidly fiddly hands.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 April 2018 - 08:47 AM)

through a third party on facebook.

@  RichardT1977 : (16 April 2018 - 11:30 PM)

Did the Vok know Bill Cipher?

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 April 2018 - 08:09 PM)

See my thread ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (16 April 2018 - 01:32 PM)

Do you mean physically without actually wiring them up?

@  wonko the sane? : (16 April 2018 - 01:32 PM)

Uh... how do you not know?

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 April 2018 - 12:46 PM)

I'm wondering if HP stuck in an extra 128SDD + 3TB HDD into the computer I bought for $850

@  Benbot : (16 April 2018 - 11:58 AM)

"OH"

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2018 - 11:06 AM)

"Semper Fi"

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Transformers: The Basics

877 replies to this topic

#21 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Gonna need a bigger clipboard

• Administrator
  • 45165 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:48 AM

That was wonderful! I really can see this being a totally comprehensible introduction for new folks that covers all the key points without disappearing down any random holes. 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#22 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9022 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

The only thing I was surprised to not see mentioned (since you did manage to slip in the fact that Car Robots is a JG1 series while RiD 2001 is not) is how TF: Cybertron had a looser connection to Energon and Armada than those two had to each other.

Eh, I thought about it, but decided it wasn't worth it for this overview video. In a later one, if I go deeper into the UT, that's when it'll come up (honestly, RID only actually made it into THIS one as a "main" family because a grid of six LOOKED nicer than five - it's really been absorbed back into G1 in about every meaningful way at this stage).

PS any plans on talking about what a 3rd party toys are? I only ask because they've been around for nearly 10 years and know some newer fans don't understand the difference between 3rd party and official.

Hmn, I hadn't considered it, because it's not really my area, but that's a good point so it might be worth touching on somewhere down the line...

but I mean, but whats this guys credentials? Can this information really be trusted?

Hard to say.  He listed the WFC games in a different continuity than G1, so-

USER HAS BEEN SACKED FOR THIS POST.

You joke but I'm pleased to say I've had mercifully little of this type of response, 'cause I was expecting a lot more about how I'm some kind of Hasbrocuck for "believing the company spin" or some shit.

#23 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12088 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:56 PM

I do enjoy the "who cares its just a commercial hasbro only cares about money anymore" comment whoah now we got ourselves a real rebel here please deep thinker teach us more

M "Hasbro Used To LOVE Making The STORY More Than Anything ELSE Man, Conveniently That Was During My Childhood!" Sipher

The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#24 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 9022 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Geez, I know, it's like, I think you better hop off now, bud, cause the story-focus is only gettin' worse from here.

#25 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 2928 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

I like it!

Any ideas of what future episodes will entail?
"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#26 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 9022 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

I like it!

Any ideas of what future episodes will entail?

Yup! My theme for this month of weekly episodes is "Who, What, Where, and How." Episode #1 is HOW does the world of TF work. Episode #2 is WHO - all about characters, the story behind name re-use and the evolution of "legacy" characters. #3 is WHAT  - what is a Transformer? A biology ep! And #4 is WHERE - where did they come from? Creation stories from atechnogenesis to Quintessons to Primus! 

I think that ticks all the biggest boxes for the debut month, and after that - on what'll likely not be a weekly schedule - it'll get more spotlight-y, with episodes dedicated to particular concepts (like the Matrix, Energon, Spacebridges, the Thirteen, the multiverse/singularities), indvidual continuities (an IDW-focused ep that helps you figure out where to start reading will be one of the first ones), and individual character histories and evolutions.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 05 June 2017 - 05:45 PM.

#27 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 5377 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

What you have here is a nice little video that's interesting and entertaining even for someone who already knows everything you say in it, so well done. I look forward to more. Between this and the Danjalaguydkins podcast it's been really cool to put some voices to names. 

S2iJ6ZP.jpg

#28 Daniel Adkins

Daniel Adkins
  • Apprentice Staff
  • 1468 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

I really enjoyed the video Chris. One minor suggestion: it'd be nice to have some background music.

#29 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 15806 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:19 PM

Good video. I shared to people I know who have a passing interest in this stuff.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#30 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7606 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

Good video. I shared to people I know who have a passing interest in this stuff.

I'd show it to my wife, but if she ever realized that she could get explanations for all this geek crap online, she'd have no reason to keep me around anymore.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch:

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

#31 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 2928 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:31 PM

do one about spikes and valves

"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#32 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 9022 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:26 AM

Episode #2 is now live!

Why are there so many different Transformers characters with the same name... and why are they sometimes so different?

#33 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Gonna need a bigger clipboard

• Administrator
  • 45165 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

These are going to be a fantastic resource to link people to for Transformers questions. I've given long and rambling explanations of these kinds of things before to people who were genuinely curious to have them explained. These videos do it a hell of a lot better.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#34 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 26343 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

Video should be five seconds. "They're all Sideways."

#35 Devcon

Devcon

Notable, apparently

• Retired Staff
  • 11606 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

Very good stuff, Chris. Loving every moment :)
With many thanks to Alex Milne for the new Dragnet Avatar!

#36 Spacewarp

Spacewarp

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 21547 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

That was pretty good!

Edited by Verity Carlo, 10 June 2017 - 09:20 AM.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#37 Foffy

Foffy

All-Purpose Sheep

• Citizen
  • 7686 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

Another superb video, Chris. I think it really says something about your ability to explain things in an interesting way that I can watch these videos and be entertained by them despite knowing most if not all of the things that are being discussed. I'm really glad that these videos are gonna be out there for people who wanna learn about this stuff!

Avatar by the wonderful Cabooceratops

#38 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 24489 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

Another great episode.

How many episodes are you planning to make, Chris?

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#39 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 61623 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

That was great. :)

#40 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff