Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

@  ▲ndrusi : (20 February 2020 - 03:46 PM)

Ah, ah, ah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Already did. It didn't take long.

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Valentine's day. Bummer.

@  Otaku : (14 February 2020 - 10:41 AM)

So is that an occasion for congratulations or condolences, Telly?  I see it as a good thing, but that is a matter of personal preference; easier for me to keep straight who is who when the names don't change. XP

@  Telly : (14 February 2020 - 12:48 AM)

damn. ive been going by "telly" on here for nearly 14 years...

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 February 2020 - 08:06 PM)

I've seen it. It didn't really deliver on the title

@  Paladin : (11 February 2020 - 05:28 PM)

we don't need to see that. we're living it.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 February 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Anyone seen an old British movie called 'The Earth dies screaming' it's like a Doctor Who serial minus the Doctor.

Photo

Action and Adventure - IDW Hasbro Universe podcast

180 replies to this topic

#121 Daniel Adkins

Daniel Adkins
  • Retired Staff
  • 1646 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

Ohhh, yeah, it is, isn't it? I think ultimately we need to go by in-story titles, or else you end up folding Hot Rod Gets The Matrix into Revenge of the Decepticons, Space Opera into Chaos Theory, etc...

I feel like these are the conversations we can have on the show. Let people send in their lists, THEN we discuss their submissions. The only exception is when one of their submissions misses the guidelines like with Broadside's first list.

#122 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11067 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:12 AM

Y'know, I'm surprised that you two dislike Hearts & Minds so much. It's insubstantial, sure, but it has neat ideas for characters and is the root of stuff like Major Bludd's "just a working man" personality. I think it deserves credit just for achieving what it sets out to do.

New Ranked list: Micronauts #1-6, Action Man #1-4, and Windblade #1-4.

unknown.png

#123 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Citizen
  • 9628 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

I forget if I mentioned this in the show, but I think I'd feel differently about Hearts and Minds if they'd been backup stories in other books. They're decent little character studies, but you breeze through them so fast it barely feels like you've read a full issue...

#124 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11067 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:28 AM

Yeah, I think you mentioned that during your review. I just don't feel like I would've deliberated for so long over whether or not it was better than For All Mankind, a comic that's bad on almost every conceivable level, not just "insubstantial and not particularly memorable".

Maybe I'm just biased because I love what Costa did with Bludd so much.

Edited by Broadside, 17 January 2018 - 08:29 AM.

unknown.png

#125 Daniel Adkins

Daniel Adkins
  • Retired Staff
  • 1646 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:50 AM

Episode 18 - Outside Interference
Description:

Spoiler

Listen to this episode on Libsyn or via direct download.
Find this episode (and more) on LibsyniTunesYouTube, and Google Play.

And, of course, we have our updated Hasbro Universe: RANKED list!

Spoiler

Edited by Daniel Adkins, 20 January 2018 - 05:40 PM.

#126 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7406 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:26 PM

I'm a little behind, just got to the first rankings. You were doing so well at the beginning, and then you went and put Shadowplay above Chuckles?! That's just insanity. Chuckles!

I agree that the fridging is unfortunate, and the gritty spy Cobra stuff is not really my scene genre-wise either (and go away, Krake), but even so... Shadowplay is not better than Chuckles. :)

WsuGTl1.jpg

#127 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11067 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

I can see why they did it, but yeah, that's the ONE ranking so far that I'd really dispute.
(Well, that and I'd put Hearts & Minds above AHM. But.)

unknown.png

#128 Daniel Adkins

Daniel Adkins
  • Retired Staff
  • 1646 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

Honestly, the "re-readbility factor" as I call it is a big thing that affects the rankings. There's also the fact that we're building this list as time goes on, so how we feel about certain stories may change. Maybe at some point we'll do a "reevaluation segment" or something.

#129 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7406 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:46 PM

Yeah, I get that the Cobra stuff is kind of a slog, but it's just so brilliant I had to run in here to snarkily defend it. The Chuckles stuff to me just seems very obviously to be GI Joe's LSOTW, so I feel like they should be adjacent! That's obviously not sustainable indefinitely though, because there's a whole bunch of great stuff in this universe. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#130 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11067 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:56 AM

For "ranked" purposes, would you consider Titans Return to be two stories (MTMTE and exRID) or one? And if two, which would the one-shot go in?

unknown.png

#131 Mat-Man

Mat-Man

Almost Human...

• Citizen
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:13 AM

Just out of curiosity, are there any more episodes coming? It's been a month now, with 6 or 7 books having been released since the last episode. I enjoy the show and I'd hate to see it go, but if you guys feel it's ran its course, so be it.

#132 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Citizen
  • 9628 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:17 AM

Just out of curiosity, are there any more episodes coming? It's been a month now, with 6 or 7 books having been released since the last episode. I enjoy the show and I'd hate to see it go, but if you guys feel it's ran its course, so be it.

Nah, we're still here, just on a little bit of a hiatus whilst Daniel's getting up to some cool real-life stuff! A plan is in place get back on schedule in the near future.

#133 Daniel Adkins

Daniel Adkins
  • Retired Staff
  • 1646 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:28 PM

STATE OF THE UNIVERSE ADDRESS:

Hey everyone!

First off, let me address the elephant in the room - the hiatus. There are numerous factors that have contributed to the delay in new episodes, but I just want to remind everyone that this podcast is a hobby. Neither I nor Callum make any money from this show. It is a labor of love, but as such it always has to take a backseat to more important things. As some of you may know, I'm currently at university studying theatre, and this semester I was given an amazing opportunity by the theatre department; I got the chance to direct an original student-written play. This ended up eating a lot of my time, both in terms of the podcast and in my other studies. As such, even after the show wrapped, my time has needed to focus on my studies. But hey, if you have any interest in seeing what took up so much of my time, you can watch the play right here.

Now, that doesn't mean that Callum and I haven't been doing any work. We actually have Episode 19 and Episode 20 (with special guest Chris McFeely) already recorded... they've simply been delayed in the editing stage. I'm working to get them finished and out ASAP so that we can get the show back on track. However, one thing Callum and I have noticed is that with the Hasbro Universe titles dwindling, we're gonna need some more stuff to talk about, so be sure to continue sending us lists for our RANKED segment.

Also, I have a special announcement. I'll be attending the NC Comicon Oak City as Press, and one of the people I'll have the chance to interview is Sarah Gaydos, IDW editor who has worked on such books as Jem and the Holograms and Transformers vs. Visionaries! As such, I figured I'd give you, our listeners, the chance to submit your own questions you want Sarah to answer. The deadline for questions will be March 17 at 10:00 AM EST. Get them in before then (and keep in mind, I reserve the right to skip any submitted questions).

So thank you everyone for sticking with us. Action and Adventure will return soon!

#134 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11067 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

I presume you've already covered my last list, so: requesting rankings for Our Steps Will Always Rhyme (MTMTE #40), The Transgressors (exRID #44), and... hmm. Let's go with Spotlight Megatron.

unknown.png

#135 Razorprimer

Razorprimer
  • Protoform
  • 25 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:24 AM

I don't have question for Sarah, but I got submission for the list. Escalation, Devastation And first Windblade miniseries.

#136 Daniel Adkins

Daniel Adkins
  • Retired Staff
  • 1646 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:15 AM

Episode 19 - Sad Cyborg Warrior Men

Description:

Spoiler

Edited by Daniel Adkins, 20 March 2018 - 12:18 AM.

#137 Mat-Man

Mat-Man

Almost Human...

• Citizen
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:14 AM

Welcome back!

#138 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11067 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:28 AM

Theory: the Dark Cybertron thing being applied to The Falling is a fakeout, and the "uncreator" is Unicron.

unknown.png

#139 Daniel Adkins

Daniel Adkins
  • Retired Staff
  • 1646 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

Episode 20 - A Bad McFeeling (feat. Chris McFeely)

Description:

Spoiler

#140 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11067 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

Really knocking them out, here.

unknown.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users