Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 08:19 PM)

I'm also only reading the trades. So I'm still missing... two volumes that are currently only available as hardcovers? Three?

@  Trpodeca : (17 January 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Astro City is great. Since I only read the trades, there probably won't be a big change for me.

@  ZakuConvoy : (17 January 2019 - 05:34 PM)

I have. Great series. Hopefully the transition to OGNs will be a smooth one.

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 07:20 AM)

Anyone here reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City?

@  Verity Carlo : (16 January 2019 - 01:12 PM)

https://sites.google...ations---part-1awwwww shit

@  Benbot : (16 January 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Remember the Noid? He steals pizzas!

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:47 AM)

That said, the old "Nester" character from Nintendo Power IS owned by Nintendo, and I could see a homage in there

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:46 AM)

Because technically DiC created the character, Nintendo does not own him.

@  Paladin : (16 January 2019 - 10:28 AM)

sidebar- why is "Captain N" not in Smash yet? that seems like such an easy option.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2019 - 09:18 AM)

The 90's mario cartoons had exactly three character aspects to work with: fat, italian and plumber. He wasn't exactly wrenching pipes in every episode, so they had to do something...

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 January 2019 - 07:31 AM)

It's in another castle.

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:24 AM)

i HOpE sHe mADe LotSA SPAGHETTI

@  Locoman : (16 January 2019 - 06:17 AM)

Mario, wherever you are, HEEEEEEEELP!

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:07 AM)

That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario *wheeze*

@  Pennpenn : (16 January 2019 - 02:24 AM)

It's too hot here.

@  Echowarrior : (15 January 2019 - 11:03 PM)

I liked the Super Mario Brothers Super Show the best myself.

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 10:35 PM)

There's always the three Mario cartoons DiC made back in the 80s.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 09:48 PM)

So they could make a show that everyone would scream was an adventure time knockoff? I get what you're saying, but I can't see it being well received.

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 January 2019 - 08:47 PM)

The fact that Adventure Time was on the air for 8 years and at no point did Nintendo hand the creators a large sack of money and say, "Please make a Mario thing for us" will forever anger me.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was so much awesome put into design and conception of the super mario bros. movie, and it didn't even need the branding: but it wouldn't have made it to the screen without the branding.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:56 PM)

Many aspects of it have stuck in my memory, though. The boots, the devolution ray, the aesthetic of the dinosaur city

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

I had no idea there was another Mario Bros. movie coming out, though. Doubt it'll top the first one, it was just so bizarre

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

They already act a bit like minions; they just aren't stupid

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 05:35 PM)

The trouble is: I honestly can't decide if making them minions would be better or worse than the continuously shrill voices they've used for the last 20 years.

@  Paladin : (15 January 2019 - 05:27 PM)

hope everyone's ready for Toads to look, act & sound like the Minions forever...

@  Lancer : (15 January 2019 - 04:54 PM)

I mean, considering Illumination is making the new Mario movie, Super Mario Bros. 1993 won't be the worst Mario movie anymore

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 04:36 PM)

"Sir, your pizza's here." "Not now!"

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Actually, yeah. I think I need to watch it again. Great movie.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 03:44 PM)

It's a fun movie with amazing sets. As long as you don't try to connect it to anything else Mario, it's fine.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Damn, I haven't thought about the Super Mario Bros. feature film in forever. Need to watch it again, soon; I can only imagine it gets better with time.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Re:Zero is a fantastic series.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 03:10 PM)

Yeah it's not a bad concept, it's just that lately the term is associated with "I, a Loser Everyman, Woke Up In a Generic Fantasy Setting Where I'm Super Special So Now Girls Orbit Me"

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 12:59 PM)

So too is the old Super Mario Bros movie

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 12:28 PM)

I went and looked up the term "isekai"... that's not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 12:19 PM)

I'm not sure, but the cartoon segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show are.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Wait. A. Minute. Is Blaster Master an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (15 January 2019 - 08:49 AM)

*Dragon Slave*

@  Xellos : (15 January 2019 - 06:22 AM)

I used to use a pic like that as my avatar for years, but that... is a secret.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 02:07 AM)

Is Flatland an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (14 January 2019 - 11:16 PM)

@Xellos Every time I see you post, I picture Xellos' infuriating smug grin and finger waggling with the "sore wa hi*mi*tsu*desu <3"

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 09:50 PM)

The Last Starfighter is also one of those

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

Astronaut gets shot through a wornhole and ends up on a living starship full of escaped alien prisoners.

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

I realized a few months ago that Farscape is a sci-fi-based Isekai.

@  Sabrblade : (14 January 2019 - 09:03 PM)

The Thor movies and Enchanted, as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 January 2019 - 08:45 PM)

@xellos We get to many of those in Hollywood movies.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 08:13 PM)

Re:Creators!

@  Xellos : (14 January 2019 - 07:47 PM)

There is also Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, where people regularly get summoned to a fantasy world, then eventually sent back with their accumulated powers (and the main character smuggles the demon lord's daugher by his request, which is a no-no)

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 07:23 PM)

We need more inverse isekais, like The Devil is a Part-Timer

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 04:11 PM)

I feel like Tron is pushing it but I can't actually come up with an argument to that effect

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

To Arazyr- I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Photo
- - - - -

The Orville - Season 2 trailer, page 19

439 replies to this topic

#41 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16556 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

This episode was basically meeting a few characters while dealing with a minor crisis. It set up relationships and a status quo for the ship. Stuff like asking if Mercer will still allow soda on the bridge was hilarious. The only humor that was forced was the cringey moments involving the banana ray (although it was the first time we saw the captain and xo on the same page, so...character stuff ) and some of Mercer's rants about said x wife, but again, character stuff.

I mean if I have to choose between this or overly serious, emotionless star trek then I'll choose this every time.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#42 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38559 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:15 PM

I really enjoyed this.

Parts I didn't like:

I didn't much like that firefight part of the episode, as it seemed, well, bad. I liked the idea of the Orville just avoiding damage by flying around the larger ship, but why not just stay in it's blind spot as the Krill ship didn't seem to be moving that much. Also, the whole stand out in the open and fire at the enemy that is in a covered position bother me. Also, how did the captain take a hit and just shrug it off? 

Not digging the helmsman or any of his scenes really. The only good one, I thought, was in the holodeck with Justin the Ogre. 

The ship interior I am not that big of a fan. The hallways look weird and the bridge doesn't seem like a real bridge to me.

Parts I did like:

Justin the Ogre.

The Orville itself and all the space VX shots looked awesome. 

The Music. By far, the music was awesome in this show. It really felt like a star trek show from that music that reminded me so much of the DS9 and TNG soundtrack. 

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#43 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4295 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:09 PM

Thus far, feels to me like Star Trek...but without the idealistic view of humanity.  Yeah, it's the future, but humans are still as much dicks as they've been since the start of history.

I like what I've seen.  Some stuff is rough...but you look at Star Trek TNG's first season...it was also DAMN rough as well.  We'll see how things go this season.  I'm definitely getting the vibe that much of the set and design work is influenced by Star Trek's minimalism...to mixed results.  The ship interiors are a bit sparse, but I LOVE how the ships (and most exterior shots of them) have all those flat textures and wide angles that really evoke the usage of classic model work.

#44 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33611 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:18 PM

This was so all over the place.

Some of the writing, dialogue, and character motivations were fine.  The reveal of the XO at the end was quite well done.  But the ex-spouses stuff got REALLY old REALLY fast, and they just kept going back to that well.

Honestly, the dog ball-licking was the part I laughed the most at.  Primarily because Seth didn't say a damn thing about it.  I expected him to take a break from the momentum to focus on it (like he did with the alien being off-center).  He didn't.  Then I started wondering if they were even going to mention it.  Then I started wondering if I maybe missed it?  Then?  The helmsmen had such a subtle, perfect, natural line about it.  It was such an obvious setup and they went for none of the obvious ways of getting the laugh.

Those helmsmen are far and away my favorite part of the entire show.  Their chemistry is good, their "humans are just regular plain old dicks in the future just like people now" attitude, the soda thing...I mean, those guys are great and neither is over the top.  But then contrast that with almost everything totally forced with the robot and not-Worf.

The production design is beautiful for exteriors.  They went practical for the ship, which is awesome, and the CGI was pretty great too.  The effects were all good, and as silly as the hug-the-donkey strategy was, it looked like what they meant it to and you knew what was happening.  It was fine.  But the interiors look like a fan film.  They're plain, flat, weirdly proportioned.  It just doesn't fit with what we see out of the windows.

The music, the uniforms, the technobabble, it's all basically skinned TNG so feels like a ripoff.  But then they have all that same stuff, and the plot and story, and it feels like a love letter to TNG.  So I can't tell if I love or hate the line they're walking there.

It's worth a few more episodes at least.  Hopefully it levels out and finds its own voice.  It would have benefitted from being in the Star Trek universe so they wouldn't have to build up a whole Star Trek But Not Really backstory for everything, but at the same time not much of how they act would be believable there.  It's just...yeah.  Very uneven.  Didn't love it, didn't hate it, curious to see what happens, but I doubt it's going to last a long time.  Might be looking at another Terra Nova situation where it's a well-thought out idea with a lot of production design and grand ideas that just won't manage to get its feet under itself in time to survive more than a season.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#45 tec

tec

Come on summer!

• Supporter
  • 29357 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:44 PM

The location shooting was funny as that science building is the same for Starfleet Academy and Demolition Man

But the ship interiors are a tad off a Spiral Starcase that leads to the bridge really?

Guess the future has no need to be wheelchair accessible how is Pike supposed get to the bridge?....wait what do you mean wrong show?

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#46 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 25640 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:54 AM

I feel like this show expresses love for Star Trek too much.  It's pretty much paint-by-numbers, with jokes added.  What's worse, is that it's not a deliberate parody.  It's a knock-off.

I would enjoy it a lot more if it wasn't so slavish to a single other brand.  There's more than one way to do space exploration.  Why not pull the best stuff from different shows, and maybe *gasp* throw in something original?

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#47 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16568 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

Given that I love GOOD classic style Star Trek and there hasn't been that in TV since Next Gen ended I'm fine with the show being "That, but with screw ups and a sense of humor."

-ZacWilliam, there are plenty of other sci fi comedy shows out there. This one being Star Trek is kinda the best part of it imo.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#48 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

Just pretend it's Seth McFarlane on the Holodeck re-enacting his fantasies.

PM me if you're bored!

#49 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16556 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

Like pointing out its a rip off is missing the point. Of course its a rip off. It's a guy making a star trek show after they wouldn't let him make a star trek show, but considering star trek itself barely knows how to be star trek, this love letter is exactly what I want.

How many crime dramas exist on tv? How many space shows with a ship and crew traveling the galaxy exist? It's not like the market is over saturated.

#50 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 8955 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:35 PM

It was okay.  I didn't love it and I didn't hate it.  It's a weird mix of a Star Trek fanfic and a workplace comedy.  It just didn't quite gel.  But it's got enough potential that I'm going to keep watching for a while.

#51 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33611 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

Like pointing out its a rip off is missing the point. Of course its a rip off. It's a guy making a star trek show after they wouldn't let him make a star trek show, but considering star trek itself barely knows how to be star trek, this love letter is exactly what I want.

How many crime dramas exist on tv? How many space shows with a ship and crew traveling the galaxy exist? It's not like the market is over saturated.

Did he try and make a new Star Trek show?  (I'd try and Google "Seth MacFarlane Star Trek" but I imagine right now that would be a very difficult search to find this sort of thing in.)

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#52 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16556 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:38 PM

I don't know personally how far along talks ever went, but talk of him wanting to reboot trek goes back to atleast 2011.

http://www.hollywood...tar-trek-247364

I have always been aware he loves it though, so it makes sense to me that he'd use his clout to do it himself. I trust him. Best thing about doing trek not attached to trek is you can actually create a mythos and not worry about people crying you're messing up their precious universe.

Edited by NICK TYRANNO, 12 September 2017 - 04:39 PM.

#53 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 25640 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

Even within the Law & Order Universe, Chicago P.D. doesn't feel like a ripoff of Law & Order. Stuff like CSI is further distinguished. Ally McNeal isn't just Private Practice with jokes.

The Orville doesn't NEED to have a blue warp drive. They could make it red. Who cares? It doesn't need to have an orchestral scoring that is an obvious ripoff of everything post next-gen. Battlestar's score doesn't feel like a ripoff.

This feels lazy. This is the stuff my friends and I made up in middle school and high school...which is not bad. But at least do that and add something deeper underneath.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#54 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16568 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:28 PM

You are confusing "lazy" with "intentional love letter." The show is doing Star Trek because that's the whole point/intention.

-ZacWilliam, matching the look and feel of an all time classic favorite is often more work that just making new junk up.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 12 September 2017 - 05:29 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#55 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16556 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

The newness this show brings will be the characters it creates and the adventures they go on.

That's all I've ever wanted out of new star trek. I don't want to get totally on board a show I've only seen one episode of because they could screw it up, but right now I'm down.

#56 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18557 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:28 PM

I enjoyed it. It very much felt like one of the "light" TNG episodes, and I'm ok with that. Sure, a couple jokes fell flat - as MacFarlane's tend to - but on the whole I'm game.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#57 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1815 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

It is so telling that the online excitement is higher for this than Discovery...and it beat Discovery to market...and the older ST fans like this A LOT.  This, combined with Discovery, could kill Discovery...

"Expect me when I arrive" - G'kar
Ryougabot

#58 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 40699 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

It is so telling that the online excitement is higher for this than Discovery...and it beat Discovery to market...and the older ST fans like this A LOT.  This, combined with Discovery, could kill Discovery...

Discovery was already on shaky legs due to it's distribution model. It wouldn't take very much to kill discovery.

#59 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22079 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

God damn we really do live in the darkest timeline...

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#60 tec

tec

Come on summer!

• Supporter
  • 29357 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

I wont count Discovery out I have yet to see it and judge it on its own merits

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users