Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2019 - 03:47 PM)

LOL bananas

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:37 AM)

Either way, I'd stick to the definitions of the people who actually work in the field and know what they're talking about over incredibly loose unhelpful ones 

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:34 AM)

Which fossils and genetic sequencing proved were quite different from wolves as we know them. Which is kind of the point, since while domesticated organisms changed genetically, so have their wild counterparts.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:34 AM)

I mean, even more extreme would be to ask if cows would turn back into aurochs. They'd go feral or exitinct, but they wouldn't revert.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:33 AM)

Don't be ridiculous. The domesticated dog wasn't derived from the modern wolf. Both descended from a common ancestor

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:33 AM)

Then they are still Geneticly modified. ;P I mean hell, in a lot of cases, there is very little difference between removing a gene and making it dormant. Anyways. Gotta run, stuff to do right now. Have fun.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:32 AM)

The ones that survived would be more wolf like, but they wouldn't be wolves. And in a lot of cases without human intervention most of the heavily modified animals and plants wouldn't survive a "few generations".

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:31 AM)

Are you saying, given a few years (relativily speaking) of no humans, dogs will return to wolves?

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:30 AM)

Within a few generations without human intervention, the same traits resurface. because again, the genes aren't changed. Only the population.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:28 AM)

The genes for those traits are still present though. You're not manipulating the genotype, rather than the phenotype of the population.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:26 AM)

The fact that it's a more indirect method compared to, say, CRISPR is irrelevant.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Selective breeding is a form of genetic manipulation, since you're restricting or eliminating unfavored genetic patterns from being expressed in the target organisms.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:25 AM)

As it should be... People whine about GMO, but most of it is because they don't understand that biotech is usually just a faster way of doing the exact same thing thousands of years of crossbreading does.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:20 AM)

You can call it whatever you like, but again, that definition is so wide as to be worthless and few people would agree with the definition.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:20 AM)

The commonly accepted definition of "genetic modification" by the scientific community involves biotechnology and direct manipulation of genetic material

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:13 AM)

But.. While slower.. That's -exactly- what crossbreeding is.. Genetic modification.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:02 AM)

Which is patently ridiculous. They didn't modify the genetic makeup of these organisms; just manipulated the odds of traits deemed as favorable being expressed. 

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 07:53 AM)

By that definition, literally everything that humans have domesticated is a GMO.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 07:44 AM)

Why? It's completely geneticly modified to be almost completely distinct from what a real banana is.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:52 AM)

By looser definitions of GMO. So loose as to be worthless pretty much.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 06:35 AM)

So.. All banannas that anyone eats.. organic or not.. is a GMO..

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 06:23 AM)

Aren't they usually called palatains? But yeah, the only reason those cultivars survive at all is because of humans.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:16 AM)

That said, there are still wild banana plants which do reproduce sexually. If you don't mind gigantic seeds in them.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:16 AM)

This makes them highly susceptible to disease due to the stagnant genetic pool and inability to adapt.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:15 AM)

The domesticated kind reproduced asexually, meaning that the ones present today have the genetics of the same banana plants circa whenever bananas were domesticated

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 January 2019 - 04:53 AM)

Why would they be?

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2019 - 04:07 AM)

Shouldn't banana's be extinct now?

@  MEDdMI : (22 January 2019 - 11:38 PM)

:p You leave my male harem alone.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 11:27 PM)

Yeah, but unfortunately, it was Fire Emblem Fates.

@  MEDdMI : (22 January 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Fire Emblem Fates didn't force the gay pairings to have kids, not even for adoption. Granted, there were only 2 canon gay/bi options amoungst a sea of hetero, but still.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 10:27 PM)

It pissed off more people than usual since when the game was getting hyped much was made that you could have your character be gay as the first of May, and also the fact that the achievement for that event in the DLC was called "Growing Up"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 10:19 PM)

Never played the game, but that works as well! Textbook mindless natalism.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 10:15 PM)

Huh, I figured you were talking about that Assassins Creed Oddessy DLC that forces your character to have a kid regardless of your choices, previous behaviour, or current situation.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 09:16 PM)

Some context: I am bemoaning the fact that Modern Family is currently demonstrating why it should have already ended. Because not only it is making its annoying characters even worse, but Haley's storyline is taking her in a direction I hate.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 09:08 PM)

So when a lazy cop-out in the story happens, I'm going to object to the shoehorning.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 09:05 PM)

I think you misunderstand me. History is rife with instances wherein having children turned out not to be the right decision, and people with normal intelligence saw it coming. So people like myself find it infurating when television writers broadly pretend this doesn't happen.

@  Shrug : (22 January 2019 - 09:02 PM)

So it's not weird that it shows up in a lot of fiction. Since it shows up in a lot of nonfiction.

@  Shrug : (22 January 2019 - 09:01 PM)

But you know, like... the majority of people do it.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 08:49 PM)

And no characters call out this course of action for the stupidity it is. Believe it or not, not everyone is cut out to have kids, and having children is not an extraordinary life accomplishment.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 08:48 PM)

Yup. Like writers knocking up a (usually female) character for no good reason, often when said character has not previously expressed the desire for children, or children would heavily set back their life plans, or the other biological parent is not a good relationship partner.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 07:29 PM)

I mean, there's more to it, and varying levels of related concepts and blah blah blah, but I'm not gonna go further in the shoutbox.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 07:27 PM)

It's the "everyone's gotta make babies" school of thought. It varies but in media it manifests as "all characters end up married with kids or dead". For contrast an anti-natalist concept would be China's One Child policy.

@  Locoman : (22 January 2019 - 06:28 PM)

.... pro-natalist?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Pro-natalist clichés in fiction are overrated. But no Hollywood writer can come up with new ideas. Argh.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 10:05 AM)

How does the giant gimmicky Bumblebee toy have such an incredible leg transformation compared to the MPM

@  lastmaximal : (22 January 2019 - 09:27 AM)

I mean it's Vigo. We are like the buzzing of flies to him.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 05:51 AM)

Perfectly. His talent is only surpassed by Tommy Wiseau

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 January 2019 - 04:57 AM)

How well he can play them is another story.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 04:34 AM)

Blasphemy. Nicolas Cage can play anybody.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 03:34 AM)

I'm just glad we're in a timeline where Nicolas Cage was too busy to play Aragorn in Lord of the Rings. As much as I may like Cage, there was no way he could have done that and Viggo was infintely better for the part.

Photo
- - - - -

The Orville - Season 2 trailer, page 19

439 replies to this topic

#1 Gridlock

Gridlock
  • Citizen
  • 329 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:33 AM

Anyone heard about this? Looks like an obvious pastiche of Star Trek (and probably other sci fi classics as we go further in) with Seth MacFarlane as the captain of exploratory starship USS Orville. Not sure how I feel about having him as the main character and producer, as his humor is very hit or miss... But maybe Jon Favreau can help polish some of the weirder stuff.

Trailer:

Edited by Gridlock, 16 May 2017 - 05:35 AM.

#2 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 40722 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:17 AM

Yeah, it was all over my facebook feed this morning. Frankly... I don't know what to think. Macfarlanes track record is pretty good for like the first season, then the writing just keeps slipping further and further... Nice graphics though.

#3 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34136 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:28 AM

Yeah, I don't think we'll get 7 seasons out of it, but I think I'll like it for a while and a while is probably all we'll get.

#4 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 11105 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:43 AM

Looks like a crappy "Galaxy Quest" ripoff.

and now I'm just sad we never got the ACTUAL "Galaxy Quest" proposed sequel series...

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#5 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16570 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:04 AM

Honestly the trailer is funnier than I was expecting from McFarlane (which isn't hard).

It looks like Galaxy Quest yes, but since it's doubtful we'll get any more real Galaxy Quest this seems like it might be a pretty acceptable substitute.

-ZacWilliam, honestly it looks a lot more fun than most Star Trek has been in quite a while.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#6 Devcon

Devcon

*STAB STAB STABBITY STAB*

• Retired Staff
  • 11776 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:12 AM

On fox, huh?

I give it 6 episodes before cancellation. 10 tops if they're lucky.
Stand back, I gotta practice my stabbin'. HA-HAAAA!

#7 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:19 AM

Wow, it looks like Galaxy Quest except not funny and not charming.

PM me if you're bored!

#8 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6058 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:38 AM

Oh no, Mockingbird.

ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#9 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4852 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

I'm annoyed that this thing probably has more staying power than the new Star Trek series.  CBS can't get their shit together but "Galaxy Quest" TV is already off the ground?  The universe isn't fair.

#10 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 5850 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

Loved A Million Ways To Die In The West and multiple seasons of other MacFarlane works so I'm game.

That said, the trailer was weak. Other than centering the baddie in the view-screen I thought most of the jokes and gags were meh.

(PS: Will be disappointed if they don't work a Roger from American Dad cameo into this...)

Edited by Teufel, 16 May 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#11 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16570 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

hug cbs's Star Trek. This is the series we need. Not bogged down by old stories and all new characters. New universes. New species. I'm so on board.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#12 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12169 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:13 PM

Intrigued that the actress who played Kassidy Yates is a part of this....

#13 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 8955 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

http://trekmovie.com...e-to-star-trek/

There are several Star Trek vets working on it.  McFarlane's work is spotty, but I'm intrigued.  I'll watch a few episodes and see how it goes.

#14 Pocket

Pocket
  • Citizen
  • 4065 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

On fox, huh?

I give it 6 episodes before cancellation. 10 tops if they're lucky.

But McFarlane is involved, so it'll probably get over 10 seasons even if the ratings are the lowest in the network's history.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#15 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14495 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:13 PM

It's a comedy one hour. It's dead at FOX. I'll be surprised if it finishes out its initial order.

Yep.

#16 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7609 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

http://trekmovie.com...e-to-star-trek/

There are several Star Trek vets working on it.  McFarlane's work is spotty, but I'm intrigued.  I'll watch a few episodes and see how it goes.

brian george, who played julian bashirs dad on ds9 (and some voyager ep thats forgettable...), is the scientist with the banana ray thingie in he first ep. so thats one more!

It's a comedy one hour. It's dead at FOX. I'll be surprised if it finishes out its initial order.

the best thing would be that if the hour is broken into 2 half hour episodes. i just dont see an hour working

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#17 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6409 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

Loooooong time since I could bear to sit through an episode of Family Guy or American Dad, but in the flesh I've always found MacFarlane kind of likeable, so I'm intrigued. 

Obviously it will be terrible and/or instantly cancelled, but it might be an interesting ride briefly.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#18 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18561 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

I'm interested in it. I feel like his humor is usually better when it's constrained a bit as it forces he and his writers to be a bit cleverer. It will still try too hard, but on the whole it has promise.

But yeah, mid-season cancellation for sure.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#19 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 27805 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

I think it could be good if only because he's long been an open Trek fanboy so knows what to parody, as the framing joke highlights.

It will depend on the writing. Family Guy is a ghost of itself, never watched Cleveland Show and last I watched American Dad was still his best. Give him the right team and he does well. A bad team and he phones it in.

#20 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59740 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:21 PM

I liked what I saw on it. I got some good laughs and even though it has that comedy scope, they could potentially tackle some more serious sci-fi too.

But as Devcon pointed out it probably won't last long. Between Fox not getting stuff and the ridiculous budget it's going to take to produce this thing is probably already shit-canned. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users