Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

Photo

What videogames would you want turned into movies?

53 replies to this topic

#1 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 44248 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:55 AM

For me it would be

The Legend of Zelda

Castlevania

Contra

Marvel vs. Capcom (or X-Men vs. Street Fighter)

Super Mario (fully CGI, no live action)

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#2 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:04 AM

None. Videogames are their own medium, every single attempt at making a film has failed, there's no reason to keep pulling that chain.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#3 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48083 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

They made a Castlevania movie. It was called "Van Helsing".

#4 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 12182 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

Might work better if you explained how said adaptations would work. I don't see how either of the "Capcom thing Vs Marvel thing" would work for an actual movie-movie since it would be not just all over the place, but all over several places, none of which make much sense to a passing observer.

A cgi Super Mario Bros movie for kids you miiiiight be able to do, maybe? But better than even odds it'd end up garbage.

I have to agree with the sentiment that games don't translate to movies very well. If you make a movie that's true to the game you're aiming at a prohibitively narrow audience, and if you make it with more mass appeal you're going to lose what you wanted to convert.

#5 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23856 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:29 AM

Broken Sword. So I can stop caring about Dan Brown movies and pretending that they're comedies.

#6 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 44248 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

Even though its not a videogame, I'd like a movie based on the old Dino Riders cartoon and toyline. 

Since its old and obscure, they have a lot of free range to do with the franchise as they wanted to. But the basics would have to be armored and weaponised dinosaur army fighting another armored and weaponised dinosaur army. So Jurassic Park meets Pacific Rim. It doesn't need to take place in the past or have an alien race of enemies. Just dinosaurs with guns fighting other dinosaurs with guns would be a cool enough idea. 

They made a Castlevania movie. It was called "Van Helsing".

Its more about wanting an actual movie called Castlevania than finding a substitute. I like Punch Out and while I could just watch the Rocky movies for my movie boxing (which I have), I'd rather see an actual Punch Out movie. 

Edited by Bass X0, 03 May 2017 - 09:40 AM.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#7 unluckiness

unluckiness

Kazuma desu

• Citizen
  • 20321 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:41 AM

The all your base belong to us game.

XgxCpmP.png

#8 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 4171 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:11 AM

not a movie, but an april fools trailer of  dig dug with jason statham as the digger.

A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

#9 tec

tec

Shhhh or she will take your yubi's

• Supporter
  • 32727 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:42 AM

The all your base belong to us game.

Zero Wing

My answers

GTA Vice City

Mirrors Edge

Eternal Darkness

Edited by tec, 03 May 2017 - 11:42 AM.

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#10 Jet

Jet

Runaway Raccoon

• Citizen
  • 25000 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

Meh, the only video game movie that worked was Wreck-It Ralph, and even then it just had cameos of real characters and focused on fictional games.

D&D has to report to shareholders. Pathfinder only has to impress its neckbeards.

#11 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23856 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

That Fate/Grand Order movie was pretty good.

Admittedly, it only adapted the game's prologue.

#12 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5520 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

Videogame movies can be done. We've gotten close, but I think the main issue is most people want 'The game as a movie' which will never work, so any liberties ever taken annoy them, even if we get an entertaining movie out of it.

Say what you want, but I think Mortal Kombat is a good movie. (second one is garbage) Prince of Persia was a good movie.

Resident Evil and Resident Evil Apocalypse were good movies. Yes they went downhill after that, but the first two are pretty good action/horror flicks.

I thought both Silent Hill movies were great, but there were too many who hated the second one because it wasn't exactly like the third game. >_>

Then there are some obscure stuff that came out pretty well, it's just most people don't know of the franchise. Like Galerians Rion. Great film, but no one besides me really knows of that game series.

Final Fantasy Advent Children was pretty good. So was Kingsglave.

As for games I don't see a movie to yet, that I'd like to see:

Fatal Frame

Life is Strange

Alan Wake

A CGI Legend of Zelda could be cool.

Not a movie, but an animated series based on Chrono Trigger could be cool.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#13 DeltaSeeker

DeltaSeeker
  • Supporter
  • 4834 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

Mass Effect.  You've got the ingredients for a great sci-fi movie series right there.  Use them as a starting point.  Make the ending of the third movie matter.

Don't pull an Assassin's Creed.

Edited by DeltaSeeker, 03 May 2017 - 01:25 PM.

#14 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6489 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

Eternal Darkness, a anthology horror that ties events at the end.

Perfect Dark, faithful to the original game

14424580661_11292a86a0_n.jpg

#15 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 672 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

The thing about movie adaptations is that usually they add something to the original work.  Acting, visuals, movement, music, more visceral action...but with most video game adaptations they usually end up having to cut a lot of stuff out.  At the very least, they have to cut out the interactive part, but usually they even have to cut out large portions of the story, since they can't go much over 2 hours and most games are more than 10 hours long.  It ends up messing with the pacing and the plot and it just comes across as second rate.

And frankly, video games just might be a superior medium to movies anyway.  There's very little that movies can do that video games can't match or surpass.  A lot of people seem to think that movies are the "ultimate" medium, or at least it's the most "artistically respected" one, but I feel like it's crown has been usurped by video games and television.

ALL that being said, for arguments sake:

Swordquest: Either a adaptation of the Atari games, which have references to stuff like the zodiac, the tree of life, and chakra points...or a story about a bunch of kids trying to win the for-real Swordquest competiton to win a real solid-gold sword could work.

Legend of Zelda:  Because if it's Zelda, I'll be up for it, even that cheesy 80s cartoon.

A Megaman/Megaman X bridge movie: Because we all want to see how the original Megaman series led to X's world.

Smash Bros: Just because I'd like to see what would happen in the ensuing madness.

Half-Life: Because we're more likely to get a movie than Half-Life 2 episode 3.

Megaman Legends 3: Because, again, more likely than a game at this point.

Everquest: Because the MMO is dead, but I assume there's enough lore for a movie to make something out of it.

Monkey Island/Day of the Tentacle/Any of the LucasArts point and click games: Because they have strong enough scripts, they'd just need someone to act them out. Probably be a lot a fun, anyway.

Unreal Tournament: Because the actual game franchise is probably dead, but it could be the first movie done exclusively in the newest version of a video game engine.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 03 May 2017 - 08:54 PM.

#16 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10765 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

I bet the star ocean series could translate pretty well into film/tv format.

#17 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5520 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:06 AM

There was a Star Ocean anime.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#18 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9215 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:45 AM

Castlevania with Gabriel Belmont turning into Dracula... Tho that's like the Luke Evans Dracula Rising movie.

Gargoyle's Quest Demon's Crest would be nice. But they'd be following the adventures of a CGI monster with no human connection.

I'd love to see a Sierra Quest for Glory or Space Quest movie. Er, even Leisure Suit Larry, haha.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#19 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 12182 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:51 AM

Not a movie, but an animated series based on Chrono Trigger could be cool.

I will say it has to keep the Toriyama styling to be anywhere near "cool", though I don't think there are many people who would disagree on that. Don't know how well it would work but I'd hope they would keep Chrono as a mute protagonist.

#20 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10765 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:52 AM

They'd kind of have to do the same for Link in any Zelda movie.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)