Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (25 January 2020 - 11:17 PM)

Twitter's revamp is so dumb. Nowadays, even when I am logged out of my account, right-clicking an image on Google Chrome won't let me access a URL to easily get the image's full size. That functionality was so useful!

@  Steevy Maximus : (25 January 2020 - 10:01 PM)

But when was the last time you saw a major retailer (since TRU) actually allot shelf space for a Transformers Titan? Or the Vintage Collection Poe X-Wing? There's clearly some sort of disparity between "girls" and "boys" toys that give companies justification to create $100+ items in the girls segment in FAR greater frequency than in boys.

@  fourteenwings : (25 January 2020 - 12:56 AM)

"how expensive they were" Tell that to L.O.L. O.M.G. and the $129 Amazing Surprise (I mean I guess when it comes to the toy aisle Power Rangers isn't a juggernaut like L.O.L.)

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 January 2020 - 09:18 PM)

I think the big reason we didn't see the actual combining Zords at retail was because of how expensive they were. It would cost $100 to get enough of them to make a Megazord, $160+ if you want the Ultrazord. Or parents could just get the dang Ultrazord for $40 even if it didn't combine.

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 January 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Because they are "kids toys" not "collector toys"

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 03:27 PM)

1) I don't have Target. 2) can't go into my walmart. I'm surprised Hasbro won't sell the toys on Pulse

@  Bass X0 : (24 January 2020 - 02:43 PM)

I dreamt my phone was ringing and woke up to answer it.

@  Sabrblade : (24 January 2020 - 02:05 PM)

The Lightning Collection figures, the smaller normal-sized Beast Morphers Ranger/enemy/Beast-Bot figures, the role-play morpher and weapon toys, and the simplistic non-combining megazord toys have all been very easy to find at various Targets and Walmarts. It's only been the actual combining Beast Morphers zord toys (which are bizarrely being sold individually this time) that have been hard to find in stores.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Thought I do question Hasbro's almost reluctance to have the toys available anywhere.

@  Paladin : (24 January 2020 - 01:44 PM)

i've been trying to sell mine for weeks...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 01:37 PM)

I hadn't opened mine yet, but from what I've seen, the general agreement is that the Beast Morpher zords are much better than Bandais.

@  ThunderWear : (24 January 2020 - 11:16 AM)

I'm guessing if they're going to do anything on the level of Legacy Zords, it's being discussed behind NDAs at Toy Fair

@  Rodimus Supreme : (24 January 2020 - 10:38 AM)

Lightning Collection is good, and they're taking their sweet time on making Zords that are better than Bandai's Zords.

@  ThunderWear : (24 January 2020 - 10:34 AM)

So, what's the general PR fandom consensus of the Hasbro run of PR so far? I pretty much stepped out of the community after I got the Bandai Legacy zords I wanted.

@  Paladin : (24 January 2020 - 08:46 AM)

that would require someone to BUY Hasbro PR toys...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 07:17 AM)

Well hopefully see some cool PR stuff. Wish BBTS sold Hasbro PR toys.

@  fourteenwings : (24 January 2020 - 07:01 AM)

February 22nd through 25th, I feel like it was earlier last year...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 06:32 AM)

When is NY TF?

@  fourteenwings : (23 January 2020 - 11:43 PM)

I don't know about Hasbro's general policy but I know everybody was on lockdown for Frozen II, which included both LEGO and Hasbro. Plus, I'm guessing everybody is holding off PR for NY Toy Fair? Overall, it's best to remember that Toy Fairs are for buyers, not fans.

@  fourteenwings : (23 January 2020 - 11:41 PM)

LEGO has been doing this for ages, including sending cease and desists when outlets get leaked images.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:42 PM)

And then they ended up selling off the brand, so I guess I wasn't the only one.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:41 PM)

Last time a toy brand I followed tightened down on toy fair and all the invited guests posted glowing reviews of what they saw, I ended up being disappointed as heck.

@  Steevy Maximus : (23 January 2020 - 10:34 PM)

JediNews UK basically said they got a walkthrough of Lego's showcase...but were legally bound to NOT talk about anything, much less take pics.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:24 PM)

I wondered why I had seen basically nothing newsworthy from the event

@  Steevy Maximus : (23 January 2020 - 10:14 PM)

Word is that Hasbro and Lego have their UK Toy Fair stuff on MAJOR lockdown. Full NDAs and everything.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 09:28 PM)

Seeing people say the $0.99 + $20 shipping item is cheaper than the $19.99 + free shipping item and getting tons of likes for it... I just don't know anymore.

@  Telly : (23 January 2020 - 09:11 PM)

if you havent already, y'all check your walmarts clearance aisle. i found siege six shot for $5. course, it could just be my walmart, but never hurts to look

@  Vexwing : (23 January 2020 - 07:20 PM)

Candlejack is going to need more ro

@  Patch : (23 January 2020 - 06:30 PM)

I thought you had to type out Candlejack's full name bef

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2020 - 02:46 PM)

I typed in the wrong tab.

@  Paladin : (23 January 2020 - 02:32 PM)

must've been the works of Candleja

@  Telly : (23 January 2020 - 02:06 PM)

looks like maximus wiped himself out mid-sentence

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2020 - 08:42 AM)

Disregard this.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 January 2020 - 06:58 PM)

Bold of you all to assume we won't wipe ourselves out in 50 years.

@  Benbot : (22 January 2020 - 04:27 PM)

There will be no UBI, people will just live in a ditch while they celebrate owning the libs.

@  Rycochet : (22 January 2020 - 03:24 PM)

In 50 years, retail will be dead because all stores are staffless fully automated operations controlled by Amazon. The UBI will be less than a fifth of what it actually costs to live after two decades of cuts and.a steadfast refusal to match inflation.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 January 2020 - 02:55 PM)

In fifty years retail will be a thing of the past through robots, printers and Universal Basic Income.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (21 January 2020 - 11:16 AM)

Big retailers just don't want money anymore, so let's not give them any,

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:12 PM)

This place is a madhouse, feels like being cloned.

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 January 2020 - 03:38 PM)

I took one step beyond the outer limits to the twilight zone.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 10:19 AM)

All retail is basically the same.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2020 - 10:00 AM)

Walmart just needs to go bankrupt already.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:19 AM)

They didn't put the 35th anniversary stuff back out until after new year. I'm no retail expert, but I feel like having stock on the shelf is better than the back. Especially toys at christmas time.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Yeah, my local walmart took away the 35th anniversary endcap weeks before Christmas and left the Transformer section empty well past Christmas.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Mine only has the 35th Anniversary Voyagers. A whole lot of them.

@  Telly : (19 January 2020 - 11:35 PM)

just be happy your walmart even stocks voyagers. mine doesnt

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 January 2020 - 08:53 PM)

Figures that Walmart finally restocks Studio Voyagers...with Wave ONE

@  ThunderWear : (19 January 2020 - 09:27 AM)

I snagged Rainmakers for half off.  They make me want jolly ranchers.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 04:21 PM)

I was using my account on another comptuer, and oddly it seemed to default to $US rather than converting it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 January 2020 - 02:02 PM)

You should be able to set eBay to display in your local currency, although personally I like to know the actual currency the item is listed in so I know if I need to account for forex fees or not

Photo

When was the last time we saw a "Truly Classic" story come out of the big two?

47 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2497 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:05 PM

Lately I've been racking my brain trying to remember when was the last time we saw a story hat was truly classic come out of Marvel or DC. I realize "truly classic" is a subjective term at best, but I'm talking about something "outstanding" something if the Calibur of "Dark Pheonix", "Crisis on infinite earths", "demon in a bottle", "Killing joke" etc...

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that could fit in that category from the past 17 years. Of late they like to tout their crossover events as larger than Life but does that make them "must reads" for someone coming in 5 years after the fact?

Hose of M: Wasn't bad but was generally a lesser Age of Apocalypse.

Civil War: Was hitting all the right notes but dropped the ball at the last second.

Secret invasion: Great concept but poorly executed.

I guess I'd dosent help that after 2000 things switched to decompressed storytelling, and editorial shakeups every 2 years.

#2 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39247 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

One More Day, but for all the wrong reasons.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#3 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9274 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:06 PM

Tom King's Vision will be a 12-issue evergreen graphic novel, if they've got any damn sense.

#4 000

• Citizen
  • 2803 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

All Star Superman? I reread it at least once a year and still love it. And it only requires the barest prior knowledge of Superman.

#5 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17429 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:09 PM

I think Hickman's Secret Wars pretty much pulled it off perfectly. I'd also put his FF run that built to it at least in contending. I'm sure there are some folks that would do the same for his Avengers that directly built to it.

Annihilation and what followed gave us the modern Guardians of the Galaxy and was really very good.

Ooo! Planet Hulk absolutely qualifies imo.

Fracton's Hawkeye is less of an event but is absolutely a big classic story.

-ZacWilliam, I'm sure there are a few others that were Classic level good, but yes the "Event" comics of modern times have been very bad far more often then they've been good.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#6 Jet

Jet

the truth is out there

• Citizen
  • 24793 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

Gotta agree with Aberration and say All-Star Superman.

#7 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

Annihilation was exceptionally well-written and structured, it's no coincidence that cosmic Marvel took off once again in its wake. Planet Hulk was a lot of fun, as well.

There were more than a few events that I loved as concepts, but found lacking in execution. The idea behind the danger of learning the Watcher's secrets deserved to be awesome on the page, but it really wasn't. I thought Secret Wars was fascinating and I loved the art, but the resolution felt pretty flat.

#8 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2497 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

Brian K Vaughn's run on Runaways, I think that could be considered a classic.

#9 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23015 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

Morrison's Batman run.

#10 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22355 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:09 PM

Pretty much all of Hickman's Marvel work is a hit for me.

Al Ewing's writing something really special in Ultimates 2.

I'd say one of my favorite storylines that I'd rank among the greatest runs is Jason Aaron's Godbomb storyline in Thor. Dear LORD that was good.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#11 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Springer's Mom has got it go'n on!

• Supporter
  • 62550 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:27 PM

I've loved everything Jason Aaron's done with Thor and Slott's run on Silver Surfer has been great 

but mark me down for celebrating all 17 issues of Patsy Walker aka Hellcat!

#12 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 571 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

I'd agree with a lot of the titles already mentioned.  And I'll add a few:

Geoff John's Green Lantern run is probably a classic.  After Blackest Night it gets a little overlong, but the ending is solid.  

His DC Universe Rebirth one-shot might also fit...but that'll probably depend on how the story goes forward.

His Booster Gold run is also one of the better takes on the character.

Remender's X-Force is also probably up for contention.  Rock-solid run, anyway.

Morrison's Seven Soldiers of Victory was pretty good...VERY Morrison though.

Nextwave Agents of HATE is just a lot of fun.

Slott's Spider-Man run is probably there.  At least maybe the Superior parts.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man was a fun book.  Really deserves to be better known.

Slott's She-Hulk is also pretty good.

Supergirl Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade is probably one of the best things to come out of DC's kids line.

Ms. Marvel probably counts, if only for expanding the target audience a little...for a time...

Gail Simone's Secret Six is held in pretty high regard.

Brubaker's Captain America is definitely on the list.

Palmiotti and Gray's Jonah Hex is probably the only contemporary Western that's been well received.  

Doctor Thirteen Architecture and Mortality is a criminally underrated book.

Fraction's Iron Fist is similarly a really good book.

Paul Cornell's Action Comics/Lex Luthor run was pretty good.

Incredible Hercules was a great book...kind of fell apart at the end, but still very good.

Prez was a really good book...it ended too soon.

I hear good things about Peter David's X-Factor.  Haven't gotten around to that myself, though.

52 was the best of the DC weeklies...maybe the best US weekly ever.

Scottie Young's Oz books (if they count) are also really good adaptations of the books.

...And there MUST be something truly great from Deadpool, just going by the number of titles that came out over the years.  No idea what, though.  Most of them are fine but middling to me.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 28 April 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#13 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9274 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

I was trying to think in terms of an isolated story arc based on the OP, but could only think of complete creator runs - but it occurs to me that that's because "runs" these days tend to actually be a one huge story planned out in large part, a real "mission statement" by a creator delivering their mapped-out take on a character. With that in mind I'll loudly echo any of the Hickman suggestions already mentioned, and I have to throw out Keiron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery, too. Superior Spider-Man. Brubaker's Cap, at least up to "Reborn," before it fizzled out after. 

#14 Cattleprod

Cattleprod
  • Citizen
  • 2350 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:23 PM

In this context, I'd definitely think of something like 'Dark Phoenix' and not 'Claremont's entire X-Men run', so I'm not sure I can narrow down something like Brubaker's Cap or Simone's Secret Six to a run of 12 or fewer issues that's especially good.

#15 000

• Citizen
  • 2803 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:37 PM

I enjoy Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern, but I think creatively it peaked at the Sinestro Corps War.

I almost suggested that story here, but considering it takes elements from Emerald Twilight, GL Rebirth, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, Reign of the Supermen, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting, I'm not entirely sure if you can call it a classic that stands on its own.

#16 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

The age you are when you read/learn about this stuff probably impacts what you consider "classics".

An overrated story that you may have first read about in a magazine(or a wiki, if you're younger) may feel like it has a more a place in history than something read and enjoyed as an adult while it was coming out. 

I can tell I'm definitely starting feel this when it comes to Transformers media.

Of course the Big 2 also spend a lot of energy chasing past glory.

Maybe it's because I was still new to actually reading super hero stuff at the time, but I liked Spider-Island quite a bit.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 29 April 2017 - 08:35 AM.

#17 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2497 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

I try to be as objective as possible when trying to judge if something is classic. Remove my personal feelings/biases towards it as much as possible and try to look at it from as many external factors as I can.

-is the story good.
-what did it bring to the table upon publication.
-what do other fans think of it in general.
-is it perpetually in reprints in comic shop.
-can it be easily found in a comics section of a regular book store.
Etc...

For example, I personally never cared for Morrison & Quietly's run on X-Men. However I do respect the hell out of it for what it brought to the table.

#18 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23015 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

I suppose it reaches back into the 90's, but Morrison's JLA run is one of my favorites.

#19 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9258 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:57 AM

Maybe it's because I was still new to actually reading super hero stuff at the time, but I liked Spider-Island quite a bit.

I thought Spider Island was a fun romp in the most part. Not quite what I would consider classic but it did get me to buy both the single issues as well as the Trade later on Comixology.

I will also put my hand in for Planet Hulk. I mean there is going to be two adaptions of it here within half a year with the animated flick and it's influence on Thor:Ragnarok

Also the entire run of Superior Spider-Man was gold. Loved the concept after adjusting to the "It's not Peter" phase. I'm ashamed to say that a good portion of the post OMD Spidey is actually pretty good. I'm still irked beyond belief that OMD even happened, but I wouldn't have Carlie Cooper, and Anna Maria Maraconi most likely otherwise. They aren't MJ but they are great intelligent female characters. I just hope Carlie gets to come back soon. I could see her get drawn into the Scarlet Spider book.

As for DC I tend to greatly favor the Sinestro Corp War. and Identity Crisis. I know the latter gets flak for some character assassination and making the heroes look less heroic but I found it as a more real take on just how far it has to go to remain a superhero with a secret identity.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#20 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3278 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:34 AM

Pleasent Hill had an old school feel to me.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users