Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Steevy Maximus : (25 January 2020 - 10:01 PM)

But when was the last time you saw a major retailer (since TRU) actually allot shelf space for a Transformers Titan? Or the Vintage Collection Poe X-Wing? There's clearly some sort of disparity between "girls" and "boys" toys that give companies justification to create $100+ items in the girls segment in FAR greater frequency than in boys.

@  fourteenwings : (25 January 2020 - 12:56 AM)

"how expensive they were" Tell that to L.O.L. O.M.G. and the $129 Amazing Surprise (I mean I guess when it comes to the toy aisle Power Rangers isn't a juggernaut like L.O.L.)

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 January 2020 - 09:18 PM)

I think the big reason we didn't see the actual combining Zords at retail was because of how expensive they were. It would cost $100 to get enough of them to make a Megazord, $160+ if you want the Ultrazord. Or parents could just get the dang Ultrazord for $40 even if it didn't combine.

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 January 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Because they are "kids toys" not "collector toys"

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 03:27 PM)

1) I don't have Target. 2) can't go into my walmart. I'm surprised Hasbro won't sell the toys on Pulse

@  Bass X0 : (24 January 2020 - 02:43 PM)

I dreamt my phone was ringing and woke up to answer it.

@  Sabrblade : (24 January 2020 - 02:05 PM)

The Lightning Collection figures, the smaller normal-sized Beast Morphers Ranger/enemy/Beast-Bot figures, the role-play morpher and weapon toys, and the simplistic non-combining megazord toys have all been very easy to find at various Targets and Walmarts. It's only been the actual combining Beast Morphers zord toys (which are bizarrely being sold individually this time) that have been hard to find in stores.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Thought I do question Hasbro's almost reluctance to have the toys available anywhere.

@  Paladin : (24 January 2020 - 01:44 PM)

i've been trying to sell mine for weeks...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 01:37 PM)

I hadn't opened mine yet, but from what I've seen, the general agreement is that the Beast Morpher zords are much better than Bandais.

@  ThunderWear : (24 January 2020 - 11:16 AM)

I'm guessing if they're going to do anything on the level of Legacy Zords, it's being discussed behind NDAs at Toy Fair

@  Rodimus Supreme : (24 January 2020 - 10:38 AM)

Lightning Collection is good, and they're taking their sweet time on making Zords that are better than Bandai's Zords.

@  ThunderWear : (24 January 2020 - 10:34 AM)

So, what's the general PR fandom consensus of the Hasbro run of PR so far? I pretty much stepped out of the community after I got the Bandai Legacy zords I wanted.

@  Paladin : (24 January 2020 - 08:46 AM)

that would require someone to BUY Hasbro PR toys...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 07:17 AM)

Well hopefully see some cool PR stuff. Wish BBTS sold Hasbro PR toys.

@  fourteenwings : (24 January 2020 - 07:01 AM)

February 22nd through 25th, I feel like it was earlier last year...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 06:32 AM)

When is NY TF?

@  fourteenwings : (23 January 2020 - 11:43 PM)

I don't know about Hasbro's general policy but I know everybody was on lockdown for Frozen II, which included both LEGO and Hasbro. Plus, I'm guessing everybody is holding off PR for NY Toy Fair? Overall, it's best to remember that Toy Fairs are for buyers, not fans.

@  fourteenwings : (23 January 2020 - 11:41 PM)

LEGO has been doing this for ages, including sending cease and desists when outlets get leaked images.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:42 PM)

And then they ended up selling off the brand, so I guess I wasn't the only one.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:41 PM)

Last time a toy brand I followed tightened down on toy fair and all the invited guests posted glowing reviews of what they saw, I ended up being disappointed as heck.

@  Steevy Maximus : (23 January 2020 - 10:34 PM)

JediNews UK basically said they got a walkthrough of Lego's showcase...but were legally bound to NOT talk about anything, much less take pics.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:24 PM)

I wondered why I had seen basically nothing newsworthy from the event

@  Steevy Maximus : (23 January 2020 - 10:14 PM)

Word is that Hasbro and Lego have their UK Toy Fair stuff on MAJOR lockdown. Full NDAs and everything.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 09:28 PM)

Seeing people say the $0.99 + $20 shipping item is cheaper than the $19.99 + free shipping item and getting tons of likes for it... I just don't know anymore.

@  Telly : (23 January 2020 - 09:11 PM)

if you havent already, y'all check your walmarts clearance aisle. i found siege six shot for $5. course, it could just be my walmart, but never hurts to look

@  Vexwing : (23 January 2020 - 07:20 PM)

Candlejack is going to need more ro

@  Patch : (23 January 2020 - 06:30 PM)

I thought you had to type out Candlejack's full name bef

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2020 - 02:46 PM)

I typed in the wrong tab.

@  Paladin : (23 January 2020 - 02:32 PM)

must've been the works of Candleja

@  Telly : (23 January 2020 - 02:06 PM)

looks like maximus wiped himself out mid-sentence

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2020 - 08:42 AM)

Disregard this.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 January 2020 - 06:58 PM)

Bold of you all to assume we won't wipe ourselves out in 50 years.

@  Benbot : (22 January 2020 - 04:27 PM)

There will be no UBI, people will just live in a ditch while they celebrate owning the libs.

@  Rycochet : (22 January 2020 - 03:24 PM)

In 50 years, retail will be dead because all stores are staffless fully automated operations controlled by Amazon. The UBI will be less than a fifth of what it actually costs to live after two decades of cuts and.a steadfast refusal to match inflation.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 January 2020 - 02:55 PM)

In fifty years retail will be a thing of the past through robots, printers and Universal Basic Income.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (21 January 2020 - 11:16 AM)

Big retailers just don't want money anymore, so let's not give them any,

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:12 PM)

This place is a madhouse, feels like being cloned.

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 January 2020 - 03:38 PM)

I took one step beyond the outer limits to the twilight zone.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 10:19 AM)

All retail is basically the same.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2020 - 10:00 AM)

Walmart just needs to go bankrupt already.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:19 AM)

They didn't put the 35th anniversary stuff back out until after new year. I'm no retail expert, but I feel like having stock on the shelf is better than the back. Especially toys at christmas time.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Yeah, my local walmart took away the 35th anniversary endcap weeks before Christmas and left the Transformer section empty well past Christmas.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Mine only has the 35th Anniversary Voyagers. A whole lot of them.

@  Telly : (19 January 2020 - 11:35 PM)

just be happy your walmart even stocks voyagers. mine doesnt

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 January 2020 - 08:53 PM)

Figures that Walmart finally restocks Studio Voyagers...with Wave ONE

@  ThunderWear : (19 January 2020 - 09:27 AM)

I snagged Rainmakers for half off.  They make me want jolly ranchers.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 04:21 PM)

I was using my account on another comptuer, and oddly it seemed to default to $US rather than converting it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 January 2020 - 02:02 PM)

You should be able to set eBay to display in your local currency, although personally I like to know the actual currency the item is listed in so I know if I need to account for forex fees or not

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:34 AM)

I'd also like to take the opportunity to say I despise Ebay for showing the list prices in US money.

Photo

X-Men Gold's Anti-Semitic Controversy

ResurrXion Syaf X-Men Gold

56 replies to this topic

#21 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7352 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

KlMIBL5.jpg

Considering everything else, I see no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. I find the placement of the characters in the second panel suspicious, especially the way the bat is foreshortened perfectly, and somewhat unnaturally, so it 'strikes' Kitty's face. Surely as an artist your instinct would be to leave the character's faces visible? I believe it's also notable that elements of the panel look like they could be taken out and viewed on their own as a political cartoon completely as is, and they'd fit perfectly. You've got the German hitting the Jew in the face with a baseball bat. 

Even if this wasn't deliberate, it's a stupid decision leading to bad art, so there's little solace here either way. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#22 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:35 PM

Ehh.. Honestly I have no problem with it, even if I don't agree with the ones he's quoting. People enter bible verses and crap like that -ALL- the time. 

But the quotes are encouraging divisiveness and hate against others, particularly Christians and Jews. That's particularly galling for people because this is the X-Men, which is the industry bastion for promoting tolerance and inclusion of people of all kinds, regardless of colour, gender, sexual identity, whatever. If that's not the pinnacle of misguided attempt at inflammation of hate, it's tippy-topped off by the fact that the X-Men were created by two Jewish guys, and X-Men Gold itself is actually being written by a Jewish guy. So promoting barriers and hate on this book is particularly misguided, as by its very nature this book stands for tolerance itself. 

Yeah. 

This is hate material in a book that's supposed to be about diversity written and starring individuals who are a part of the social group the artist was going after. 

Dude may have single-handedly tanked the title. 

#23 c0ldfire

c0ldfire

I am not here.

• Citizen
  • 475 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:56 PM

Being Indonesian and having friends who work in the local creative industry, we've basically blacklisted him. Local social media are determined to bury his career since his actions had shamed us on the international stage and have made life difficult for other Indonesian artists.

His bigotry will not go unpunished.

ADDENDUM - Explanation of QS 5:51 actually meant and how it was abused. http://gwillowwilson...1-actually-says

Edited by c0ldfire, 10 April 2017 - 12:03 AM.

#24 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3275 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

If you weren't told about this would you of even noticed?

Edited by LiamA, 10 April 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#25 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3275 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

This is the baseball bat image I mentioned, one of the few that is still open to debate.

KlMIBL5.jpg

Considering everything else, I see no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. I find the placement of the characters in the second panel suspicious, especially the way the bat is foreshortened perfectly, and somewhat unnaturally, so it 'strikes' Kitty's face. Surely as an artist your instinct would be to leave the character's faces visible? I believe it's also notable that elements of the panel look like they could be taken out and viewed on their own as a political cartoon completely as is, and they'd fit perfectly. You've got the German hitting the Jew in the face with a baseball bat. 

IMO it's every bit the message that this confirmed one is: 

sKvS3Bl.jpg

And where is the guy in the rainbow wig with the 'John 3:16' sign?

#26 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28846 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

If you're a comissioned artist, this is a clear breach of contract. To a degree you have creative input but this isn't that, it's defacing a paid work with your own unsolicited hate speech. If you feel the need to do this then you don't deserve the opportunity to draw for such a high profile client.

#27 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:26 PM

If you weren't told about this would you of even noticed?

Irrelevant. A fundamental part of our society is our reliance on others to at times inform us of things that we otherwise would not have known, or information we would not have been privy to. We call that 'The News'. We call that culture. So yes, the very fabric of our society relies on us taking information supplied to us by others, in cases where our own knowledge is insufficient for the topic at hand. We have the ability to place that information into its proper context. The source becomes irrelevant at a certain point, and it becomes solely about the information itself, and that's where we're at with X-Men Gold.

This book has a truly global audience, with people of all walks of life, and that's what this little exercise has demonstrated. So whether we picked up on the references ourselves or relied on an article on a comic website doesn't change how we should react to messages of bigotry and hate in comics we're paying for. If our reaction would have naturally been outrage, it should still be outrage. If you wouldn't have cared even if you'd known, then finding out via comic site shouldn't change that view. 

As a paying customer of this book I'm horrified to see this kind of material in any book I buy, let alone an X-Men book, the very books that are supposed to be making outcast kids feel good about themselves, not even more ostracised from society. This isn't what I paid for, and I hate that I've given even a cent to Syaf and his reprehensible views.

Edited by Cat, 10 April 2017 - 01:45 PM.

#28 Caldwin

Caldwin

Snikt!

• Supporter
  • 25182 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

Shame is, I've been out of comics totally for several months. If I'd have known that they were doing a "taking X-Men back to basics" thing and seen the team roster (Kitty, Logan, Rachel, Night Crawler, Collosus, Storm)...holy hell, I'd have been all over that. Hell, I'd still like to pick this up.

But until I see this resolved, I can't in good conscience buy something like this. And by resolved, I mean Syaf needs no less than to be fired.
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#29 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22355 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:40 PM

http://www.newsarama...er-is-over.html

Welp, here we go.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#30 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7352 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:52 PM

I suppose we may never know the details, but one assumes this is a result of Marvel giving him the boot rather than Syaf deciding to quit comics off his own bat. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#31 c0ldfire

c0ldfire

I am not here.

• Citizen
  • 475 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

Well, he's definitely unrepentant. Matyrhood achieved in the war against infidels. What a waste of talent.

#32 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:42 AM

Yeah, no, Ardian. We know the 'Justice' you're talking about is getting rid of a Christian governor merely because he's Christian, and it's ironic for you to use the word 'love' as if you're a global peace maker, after inserting Anti-Semitic commentary in your work. He really does think we'll buy his deluded narrative that makes no logical sense, as an explanation for why these symbols were inserted.

He's ultimately self immolated for nothing. It's not like anyone would consider this crap a gateway into his idea system.

#33 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22355 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

Well, it's official. Marvel put out a statement.. Although Syaf's art will still be in X-Men Gold 2 and 3, they do have a buffer as there's a rotating artist pool. 4-6 will be done by R. B. Silva and 7-9 will be done by Ken LAshley. After which, Syaf's replacement will do 10-12.

They better scour the line work for 2 and 3.

https://www.bleeding...ill-still-ship/

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#34 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36545 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

Yeah. I'm not surprised 2 and 3 are gonna ship 'as is'* since otherwise they'd need to delay the title at least by two months to have a new artist draw it, as I doubt there's anyone good and fast enoug to redo them before they ship. 

*I imagine they will be looked over very carefully to try and find anything else objectionable and remove them. 

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#35 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7352 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

Huh. Well, I love Silva and Lashley. I don't think Syaf's art is a great loss. 

It's always sad to see someone's career destroyed because of one silly mistake, but... y'know... don't do stupid things that are obviously likely to have huge and damaging consequences maybe. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#36 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36545 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:51 PM

Huh. Well, I love Silva and Lashley. I don't think Syaf's art is a great loss. 

It's always sad to see someone's career destroyed because of one silly mistake, but... y'know... don't do stupid things that are obviously likely to have huge and damaging consequences maybe. 

I'm not sure one can rightly label intentional anti-semitic 'easter eggs' as a  'silly mistake'. 

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#37 Telly

Telly

Like a tiny sandwich...

• Retired Staff
  • 8311 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

cant even really call it a mistake

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#38 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7352 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Well, sure, but A) see the rest of that sentence and B) where do we draw that line? How do we know when one error in judgement is an event for which a person deserves to entirely forfeit their career and livelihood? Which is not me in any way suggesting that Syaf doesn't deserve that. Even if his motivation here was somehow innocent or justified, it doesn't really matter; impact trumps intent, people are still entitled to feel offended and angry. And Syaf would have to be extremely naive or misguided (or mean, or stupid) to mount an "I didn't think anyone would be offended" defense. And is this even the first time he's inserted something like this, or just the first time people noticed? Is Syaf an irredeemably terrible person or could he be enlightened and rehabilitated? Does it matter? 

I just don't know whether Syaf is a hateful bigot, or a kind of okay person with prejudices he could learn to move past, or a dude who's just been misunderstood or who caused a shitstorm by just being ignorant. Again, though, it doesn't really matter which of those he is, he still did it, it still rightly outraged people, he still has to live with the consequences. 

At least this isn't a Rat Queens scenario, where as co-creator I gather Roc Upchurch profits from the existence of the book even if he's not working on it anymore. We don't have to boycott all X-Men titles indefinitely to avoid supporting Syaf. We maybe need a Kirby/Lee discussion but that's a whole other thing! :)

ETA: also, we don't really know what the consequences for Syaf are at this point. Marvel may have dumped him but for all we know he could be drawing a DC book in six months. So maybe he's hugged up his whole life or maybe he'll get off lightly. 

Edited by Maruten, 11 April 2017 - 08:09 PM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#39 c0ldfire

c0ldfire

I am not here.

• Citizen
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:14 PM

Well... The local Islamic fundamentalists are rallying around Syaf, citing Marvel's actions as "hateful" and "intolerant", and "it's expected because it's full of Jews."

No word from Syaf on the matter at the moment.

#40 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7352 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:26 PM

How dare those hateful and intolerant Jews prevent Syaf from expressing his hateful intolerance?!

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ResurrXion Syaf, X-Men, Gold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users