Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 01:52 PM)

50/60's Twilight Zone, the 80's, millennium and recent ones also, all are in The Twilight Zone.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 October 2020 - 08:03 AM)

Twilight zone. Duh.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 October 2020 - 07:52 AM)

Um.... what did I log in on...

@  Paladin : (28 October 2020 - 06:17 AM)

have they actually gotten worse than the one where Homer gets paralyzed by a spider and has to learn to communicate through his farts?

@  unluckiness : (28 October 2020 - 05:53 AM)

It's only fitting that SImpsons have halloween specials since it's been a shambling corpse of its former self since its teens.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 04:12 AM)

No I caught one of the latest one with parodies of Stranger Things which admittedly is horror series but Heaven Can Wait and The Shape of Water are Fantasy films. Plus implications of the characters being sociopaths or twisted has become a norm these days.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 October 2020 - 02:58 AM)

Which probably adds to the "reasons they should just stop making more of The Simpsons" pile.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 October 2020 - 02:58 AM)

You make it sound like The Simpsons becoming less repetitive is a bad thing.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 02:48 AM)

Remember when Simpsons Halloween specials parodied horror movies and would have the characters make off out of character remarks like "we chucked donuts at a old man for kicks."? they don't and can't do that any more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 October 2020 - 08:00 PM)

Tired of the same old Halloween stuff? Check out Tubi. The depths of the schlock available is astounding.

@  Donocropolis : (27 October 2020 - 11:51 AM)

Not sure if it's news or not, but I'm at Ross right now and they have Masterpiece Movie Ironhide for $24.99

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 October 2020 - 12:45 AM)

Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s Best Buy exclusive deluxe version is available for $10 as one of today’s daily deals

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 October 2020 - 08:50 PM)

We can play the "Is it a real headline or an Onion headline" game.

@  Steevy Maximus : (26 October 2020 - 08:22 PM)

It's weird to see how much of Larry Hama's "satire" from the old GI Joe comic has no longer become satire in the past few years.

@  Maximus Ambus : (26 October 2020 - 11:29 AM)

Funny how 2020 gave me new appreciation for Dawn of the Dead 1978.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 07:43 PM)

@Fenix Twilight Sure. Just not a good one.

@  Fenix Twilight : (25 October 2020 - 04:02 PM)

@Sukoshiko Well his clothes left an impression on you didn't they?

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 October 2020 - 06:09 AM)

I just read "Tesla Cybertruck" like AC/DC's "Thunderstruck", now it won't get out of my head, so I inflict it on all of you as well.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Tesla Cybertruck: amazing or just silly looking? I can't decide.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:24 AM)

Weird question: I had to deal with a guy today... I'm not exactly up on modern fashions... or even archaic fashions... But this guy... Tuxedo Jacket and shirt, studs in all the button holes except the bottom one, blue jeans, and cowboy boots... Take a moment to imagine that get up. And this was to a business meeting, trying to impress someone. What look is that? Who on earth would dress that way? (I mean on purpose)

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:04 PM)

I think the few up here were lost to bad placement, poor weather, and the usual language trap.

@  TM2-Megatron : (24 October 2020 - 04:25 PM)

There are 5 spread around southwestern Ontario, all run by the same company. I've only been to the one in my area, but it seems to do good business even in non-pandemic times. On long weekends, when they do triple features, there's a normally a lineup to get in Friday and Saturday nights

@  Telly : (24 October 2020 - 01:51 PM)

there been one outside of my town for as long as ive been alive at least. its gone through its share of owners and periods of being closed down, but its been open for the past decade at least

@  Otaku : (24 October 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Bias from personal experience, but drive-in theaters are nearly extinct.  I grew up near one but it went out of business in the late 80s, and was torn down and replaced with some other business by the early 90s.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 07:47 AM)

Out here, I mean. Couldn't comment on their popularity in place where they actually exist.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:44 AM)

I wouldn't know. They've only come back into vogue with the social distancing from the plague, and while some places have made an effort to shoestring the places together, it's all largely too distant to be accessible.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:46 PM)

I'd hate to see ours replaced by condos. They're a great way to spend an evening, whether with family or on a date. And they've never been as common in Canada as the US, so we cna't afford to lose as many

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:45 PM)

Largely they were either poorly placed or bought out and torn down to be replaced by something other than over priced short term parking. Mostly condos.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:14 PM)

I guess your winters are worse, so they have a shorter operating season. Drive-ins in the Toronto area can usually operate until early or mid-December; maybe even into early January if there's no real snowfall, and open up again sometime in March.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:13 PM)

THere's really only 1 left in the entire province?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Ha! It's probably faster for me to drive to your drive in than to make my way to the only one left in quebec.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Fortunately we still have a drive-in theatre that's exempt from the closures about a 10 minute drive away

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Theatres around here are closed again for at least another couple weeks (wouldn't be surprised if it's extended by another month or so, either), but that's what they've been doing here as well. Playing the old classics

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 October 2020 - 02:36 PM)

I got Earthrise Megatron, he's better then I thought he'd be though Netflix Megatron is still tops.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:44 AM)

The original Rocky movie is also showing. May go next weekend. That’s how you get people back in the theatres - show the old classics every adult loves.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 10:35 AM)

They did a limited run showing of it up here too, back when the theaters were open... red zones suck.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:13 AM)

The original Back To The Future is showing in the Odeon in the UK now. I think I will go see it tomorrow.

@  Donocropolis : (23 October 2020 - 05:51 AM)

It was either the Bumblebee or Cliffjumper. Can't remember the colors.

@  Kalidor : (22 October 2020 - 06:43 PM)

What did it look like?

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 01:34 PM)

I swear I remember getting the Happymeal G1 minibot as a child, but I live 2.5 hours from St. Louis, which is the only place they apparently came out. It's possible that I got it on a family vacation, though, as we went to Six Flags pretty often.

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 October 2020 - 01:07 PM)

Conversely, I had the Gobot helicopter from Wendy's and I was absolutely convinced it was an actual Transformer.

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 08:13 AM)

I used to rubber-band Hot-Wheels style construction vehicles together and pretend it was Devestator.

@  Bass X0 : (21 October 2020 - 05:26 PM)

When I was about four years old, my parents bought me Bugbite and tried to tell me it was Bumblebee. I was not yet a fan of Transformers, but I knew that wasn't Bumblebee. I didn't even have the real Bumblebee at that time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:39 PM)

It would come with two soundtracks: the eighties classic and one featuring dubstep and the VAs are popular Youtubers.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 12:13 PM)

But yeah, reading it: I came off as a bit of an ass.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:52 AM)

I just couldn't think of worse music than disco...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 11:35 AM)

What were you trying to imply with the mocking sarcasm, though? Nobody suggested that '80s music was any more "of it's time" than '70s music.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:18 AM)

I said that disco wouldn't fare much better with the same context: media is property of it's time; biases, culture and limitations are all inherent in that. Some stuff can be brought forward because of an inherently timeless nature or the simplicity with which it was made but lots of media is a time capsule of the period of when it was made.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 08:46 AM)

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, or what you even think I said.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 08:11 AM)

Yeah, cause disco would make the transition so much better...

Photo

Peter David in serious trouble

19 replies to this topic

#1 Suspsy

Suspsy

This Title Section Needs To Be Longer

• Citizen
  • 4117 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

Hey all!

Yes, it's Suspsy. I'm still around. Still into Transformers, just not into discussing them online as much as I used to.

Anyway, I wanted to bring your attention to Peter David, the legendary writer of comics, novels, and television. He's in a serious financial fix right now and could use all the help he could get. Read all about it here:

http://www.peterdavi...perate-trouble/
If You Even Dream Of Beating Me, You'd Better Wake Up And Apologise.

#2 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26235 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:01 PM

It kind of sounds like he had not intention of paying his back taxes until the IRS "remembered."

Seems a bit shady.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#3 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17420 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

It was more a case of "Oh crap, I hope they don't come after me until I can rebuild that stash my ex-wife stole."  

---Dave, sent what he had in his paypal account ($10.65)

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#4 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6924 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:15 AM

It was more a case of "Oh crap, I hope they don't come after me until I can rebuild that stash my ex-wife stole."  

---Dave, sent what he had in his paypal account ($10.65)

Its been like 20 some years hasn't it?
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#5 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48492 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:46 PM

This seems very shady. For starters, it's been 20+ years. The IRS doesn't just forget about money it's owed and then demand it all in one lump sum (Though if David wasn't paying down on those taxes, the IRS has every right to say "Where's my money?").

But more then that, if his story is true, then what he needs more then money is an appointment with a tax professional, because that situation - especially with documentation - would fall under the Innocent Spouse Relief clause of the US tax code. It's not a perfect fit for it, but one would think if David had simply said "Hey, I had the money for you guys, but my now ex-wife drained half my bank account", the IRS would have taken that into consideration.

Contrary to popular opinion, the IRS are not monsters. There's more to this story then we're being told.

#6 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10875 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:14 PM

I've read a few of his Trek books... he's no David Mack, but he's alright.  He has my sympathy for the situation, but honestly I agree with Rust and D Buster Prime in that it's a bit suspect.  It seems like there should be better ways to deal with this than begging for money from fans online, and better ways to have dealt with it in the 20 years leading up as Rust points out.  Money is tight enough for all of us, and I really don't think it's fair or right for him to try to capitalize on his minor celebrity to get himself out of whatever this situation is.

#7 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26235 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

At least offer something to people who donate.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#8 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17420 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

A lot of people mistakenly think there's a statute of limitations on tax debt.  When the IRS didn't come after him for a few years (during which the divorce left him financially unable to pay), he likely thought he was safe.  But surprise, the IRS can and will come after you years or decades later and blame you for their delay.

I once had to pay back-taxes several years after the fact because I'd failed to notice that the rules for W-4 form exemptions had changed and I wasn't supposed to claim an extra one just because I didn't want them to hold onto my money for a year (i.e. claiming an extra exemption made my refund a few hundred dollars less).  I got penalized for NOT letting them have an interest-free loan, but at least in my case the penalty was only a hundred bucks or so...mostly penalty interest because they didn't get around to telling me about my mistake right away.  Now, PAD knew he wasn't paying taxes, and if they'd insisted in a timely manner he probably would have had to declare bankrupcy or something.  Now they're finally remembering him and penalizing him for decades of their negligence.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#9 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48492 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

Is it really their negligence when he was paying on it, and then stopped?

#10 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10875 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

I don't know how anyone could think that.  Either someone does their own taxes, in which case they need to educate themselves enough so that they should at least know that isn't true, or they hire a professional to do it for them and that person will certainly know enough to inform them of their mistaken belief.

I've been filing my own taxes since I was in University, and I've dealt both with Revenue Canada and (in a couple years where I spent enough time working for my company in the US) the IRS.  Those years I filed with the IRS, you can bet I spent the time to go over the PDFs at their website about what forms and documentation I needed to send, including the application for an ITIN in the first year I had to do it.

I just think that if he made as much money in that one year as he hints on that blog post, there should've been enough to pay the tax bill.  He says his wife took the money he'd placed in the account ready for transfer to the IRS.  Unless the US has a 100% income tax, there must've been quite a bit more left over from his earnings that year.  Diverting some more of that to pay the tax bill should've come first, divorce lawyer second.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 01 April 2017 - 04:15 PM.

#11 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48492 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

There's also the fact the very first thing you do when you are removing money to give to the IRS and discover that money isn't there...is contact the IRS. I mean this was right before the IRS Restructuring that included the Innocent Spouse Clause, and I have a hard time believing the IRS wouldn't have obviously gone to his soon to be ex and been like "You have something that belongs to us."

Also, I wasn't familiar with Space Cases so I looked it up. A Nickelodeon SNICK show that ran two seasons somehow netted David more bank then cowriting the Marvel vs DC mini (That happened on the same year). He's written for Marvel, DC, done Halo adaptations, Ben 10, he wrote Stan Lee's autobiography, for crying out loud. Yet he claims these projects paled in comparison to a shoe string budget kid's show.

Something isn't adding up. The commenters on the page also note the fact that these donations can be counted as Income he'll owe next year, so he's just digging himself in a bigger hole.

#12 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:15 AM

I love Peter David, love his catalogue of work, but man, this is stupid on his part, and even stupider that he wants his fans to pay for it. Just... NO!!! Not this one, Peter. This one's all on you. 

#13 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Candies Please!

• Supporter
  • 63435 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

I'll keep buying Spidey 2099, but that's all the help I'll do 

#14 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22355 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:14 PM

As much as I like PAD's work on Spidey 2099, Redefining Hulk, collaborating with Claudio Sanchez finally bringing the Amory Wars into reality, I really don't want to pay his taxes.

I've got my own taxes to pay, bro.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#15 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19965 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:46 AM

Yeah, it's not at all uncommon for the IRS to "get to" something years down the road. It's a big country, but money is still owed.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#16 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35110 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:45 AM

He has owed $88,000 for 20 years and he didn't pay it because that was what the lawyers for his divorce cost? That's okay somehow? No.

#17 Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

• Supporter
  • 4704 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

I read the thread title and was all like, "Oooh, sexual allegations!"

#18 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

I read the thread title and was all like, "Oooh, sexual allegations!"

It's the IRS, so you could say he's getting fisted...

#19 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52710 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:39 AM

Also, I wasn't familiar with Space Cases so I looked it up. A Nickelodeon SNICK show that ran two seasons somehow netted David more bank then cowriting the Marvel vs DC mini (That happened on the same year). He's written for Marvel, DC, done Halo adaptations, Ben 10, he wrote Stan Lee's autobiography, for crying out loud. Yet he claims these projects paled in comparison to a shoe string budget kid's show.

I GUARANTEE you Nick paid him more money for Space Cases than Marvel did for the Marvel/DC mini. Hell, that might've been more than Marvel had paid him up to this point.

Comic writing (especially with the big two) isn't exactly a lucrative field.

card-strongarm.jpg

#20 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:47 AM

Between this awful outburst and this ridiculous appeal, maybe Peter David should go drown himself in a bag of dicks (NEVER thought I'd say that).

Edited by Cat, 22 April 2017 - 05:48 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users