Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (13 August 2020 - 10:31 PM)

Turns out the President set the whole thing up as a publicity stunt. Very rude.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 August 2020 - 08:11 PM)

The ninjas will go away, it will be fine.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 08:02 PM)

listen; i'm sure there were very fine ninjas on both sides.

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 August 2020 - 07:50 PM)

My thoughts and prayers go out to the ninjas.

@  Cybersnark : (13 August 2020 - 06:36 PM)

Can we just let them have him?

@  Bass X0 : (13 August 2020 - 06:18 PM)

The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:08 PM)

At first, I obviously thought I was correct.  Then I thought perhaps the spelling had changed for some reason.  Copyright/trademark law is weird, ya know?  Now I just accept I goofed. XD

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:07 PM)

See, that one directly applies to me.  Apparently, I'd been misreading and mispronouncing it wrong for over 30 years... and I still slip and do it the wrong way much of the time.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

for the Internet age its the "Berenstain" Effect.

@  Bass X0 : (12 August 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Can you root for what The Rock is cooking!?

@  -LittleAutob... : (12 August 2020 - 10:35 AM)

sOmEoNe NoTiCeD-

@  wonko the sane? : (12 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

I am the only one rooting for the rock these days?

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 August 2020 - 12:37 AM)

Sour grapes for the next decade until Apophis hits.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:26 PM)

Thank yoo for vatching hydroolic pthress chan-nel.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:19 PM)

Hey, do you have any grapes?

@  Otaku : (11 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

I dunno... it sounds kind of quackers to me.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 August 2020 - 05:17 PM)

That would be nice....

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 August 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I wish I could just sit by a pond and watch ducks for a while.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Venting Thread

92 replies to this topic

#81 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13491 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:10 PM

my buddy's father may be dying. i got a text earlier stating he was in the hospital and apparently has a brain bleed.

i've known him and his family since we were kids. Hard to picture losing him. I have no idea how to help my friend get through this.

And we room together too. if he has to move out I can't cover this place on my own and I don't think i can find a new place easily enough under normal circumstances, let alone the world as it is today. Of course I can't actually bring that UP right now because i'll just sound like a selfish asshole. i FEEL like a selfish asshole just for thinking it.

i don't know what to do....

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#82 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14860 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:36 AM

Oh geez, I'm sorry. I hope he pulls through.

Yeah, don't mention the rent concerns right now, give him time to figure out what he needs to do. Ask your friend if there's anything you can do to help, even if it's just playing videogames together to help take his mind off it for awhile. I don't think you're being selfish, just worrying about the future.

#83 electricidad

electricidad
  • Citizen
  • 615 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 29 July 2020 - 10:55 AM

i FEEL like a selfish asshole just for thinking it.

You are not being selfish. Your concerns are real and valid. MEDdMI is right; best thing you can do is be a good friend for now.

It sucks. That's why these boards are here.

#84 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3368 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 July 2020 - 12:27 PM

Oh my god! I wish my boss would stop sticking her nose into everything.

#85 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10839 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:26 PM

So yeah, I've had a string of bad luck with the McDonald's nearest to my workplace.

A couple weeks back, I grabbed some dinner there on my way home. The clerk running the drive thru, for some inane reason, gave me medium drinks with both of my value meals, one of which was a large. I got home, ate my food, registered a complaint online at the corporate level and then called the restaurant to complain. I spoke to the manager on duty, who apologized and explained that the clerk in question was still in training, then offered me a free large drink the next time I visited. Corporate, meanwhile, eventually got back to me and promised to mail me a card that would be good for a free value meal.

So far, so good.

Last night, I went to this same McDonald's again. The same clerk was running the drive thru, and nearly got the order wrong again. However, when I mentioned that I was due some freebies, they failed to input that properly into the order. So I had to explain this to the clerk who took my money. Good news, I got the free value meal. Bad news, they got the free large drink wrong - I asked for a Coke, they got me a Sprite.

This time, I opted to try and call the restaurant directly first. Who answered the phone? The very same clerk running the drive-thru, who utterly failed to understand my complaint. Both times that I called. The third time the call went unanswered, so I sent off another message to corporate complaining about what happened. It took a fourth phone call, several hours later, for me to speak to a different manager and explain what happened. So I get another free drink.

Don't get me wrong, I'm good with free food, but sweet mother, I should not be going through this much crap. If this happens a third time, I'm going to be very put out.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#86 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5522 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:52 PM

Very minor vent here, considering what a few others have recently posted. (I really hope things work out for everyone.)

But apparently one of the more recent buying crazes due to the current situation has been bicycles.

Walmart's and such have been cleaned out of all bikes, and most tires/accessories for a few weeks if not months now.

The bad thing is, my old bike finally went past the point of no return. I'd have to replace both tires and a tube to even get it running again, and even then the thing can't go above gear three, making it rather slow so putting the good 60 plus bucks into it just isn't worth it. Usually when this happens I go to Walmart and buy a cheap bike that usually lasts me a year or two, but as stated, for whatever reason everyone is buying up bikes. Leaving me without transportation to work and back.

(Sadly I can't do the bus, my home isn't really in the best place to catch a bus, to get to a place that does would still require me walking a good distance that biking would still be the better option. Buses also can take an hour or so to arrive at a station, and I can BE at work via bicycle by the time that happens. Also with a bike I can leave when I need, and stop where I need without much hassle. All in all it's the better option.

Still baffles me that some co-workers suggest I uber everyday. That'd cost me like 20 or so bucks a day. If I had that kind of money I'd just get a car.)

I was able to borrow a friend's bike for a week before I managed to get an old bike my brother doesn't use. Except that bike is a speed cruiser (Well I'm pretty sure it is given the design. Regardless. ) so because of that it's simply not designed for hour long bike ride I have to do to get to work everyday. (and the extra hour back home) So it's been a struggle.

Right now though I think my only hope is to wait for my next free/bills check. (which isn't until August 14th) and hope I have enough money saved up to possibly go to a bike shop and buy a really good bike for around 500. Which means another two weeks of this other bike in the heat of summer, which really seems to be sapping my strength. This entire week I've just felt exhausted and again wonder how the hell people manage two or more jobs. For those who do, I respect you because I can't do it.

(Minor side note: To add insult to injury, water got into the headphone jack of my Vita which I was using as an mp3 player. Meaning I can't listen to my music on it without the sound being distorted. Like I can hear the music, but the vocals sound drowned out. I've been using Pandora on my phone, but it's not the same.

Thankfully my vita has Bluetooth, so I just need to get some Bluetooth headphones, but those aren't cheap, and I have a new bike to buy...)

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#87 Corgis Pal

Corgis Pal

I don't need a rationale to sing The Internationale

• Supporter
  • 6216 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:52 AM

That feeling when youre sick to death of room/housemates but the society in which you live makes it damn near impossible to afford to live on your own. STOP FILLING THE BATHROOM GARBAGE CAN WITH CANDY WRAPPERS, STUART. OR EMPTY IT SOME TIME, IM NOT DOING IT ANY MORE.

#88 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14860 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:24 AM

Videomaster, I have an old cheap pair of Bluetooth earbuds I'm not using anymore, and 26" inner tubes for bike tires. Heck, I even have old bikes with flat tires but those might be hard to ship. XD If you're interested, send me a PM. The tubes have been sitting in their boxes for years so I'm not sure if they're still good, but they're still shrink wrapped and look ok.

Otherwise, if you don't want to risk online, I suggest hitting 2nd hand stores/yard sales for cheap parts or maybe a used bike.

#89 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5522 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:21 AM

Videomaster, I have an old cheap pair of Bluetooth earbuds I'm not using anymore,

See this is the really annoying thing about myself when it comes to this.

I can't wear ear buds. If they stick INSIDE your ear, my ears ACHE after only a few minutes. Trying to use them is literally painful, so I'm stuck with the huge over the ear headphones.

I found a pair for just under 40 from Sony on Amazon. Taking a chance with them.

As for a bike, right now I'm feeling my best bet if I don't find anything on Facebook market place, is to wait till my next check and take all I've saved up and try for a really good bike from a bike shop.

2nd hand stores/yard sales probably aren't going to bear any fruit. Not with how things are right now in the world and the simple fact that I couldn't really get to them anyway. Or at the very least I haven't seen many yard sales in my area, and besides the occasional Goodwill don't know many 2nd hand shops. :/

Wish I could afford a car, but that's been a dream I've almost just given up on. I don't make enough at one job to get anywhere close to buying one, worry about if I could pay for a repair if it ever broke down. Have no savings, and came from a very poor family, so no family help and no credit to speak of. Most credit cards reject any application from me. I could have gotten one from my old bank, but they'd take like 300 as collateral, and I kinda need all I have to live.

Literally every time I try to save money, some shit happens that takes my entire new savings. Unless I basically never bought myself any games/movies/etc and never went out to do anything, which I'm not willing to do. And I don't mean I go out and buy a new game every week or something. The most I've done this last couple of years is the occasional Limited run game, being they are LIMITED, and I got myself about 3 or 4 new games I really wanted. (Not at once, just various months) I work hard, I want to reward myself with a game or movie every other month. It's not like I spent everything I get the moment I get it.

Sorry, went off a bit there. Just frustrated right now. I had some co-workers basically preaching to me how I should live and it's annoying. I'm glad people can maybe live without ever spending money, or eating nothing but ramen. I respect those who can work multiple jobs. But I can't do any of that. I need better food then cheap noodles, I'd go nuts if I couldn't buy anything I wanted ever, and last time I tried working two jobs, I began to have suicidal thoughts...

Sometimes I think I hate being me. Maybe I'm just making excuses. Sorry woke up feeling shitty today, gonna shut up now.

Spoiler

#90 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14860 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:37 PM

No worries, this is the venting thread after all. Only mentioned the thrift stores since there's one nearby that has old bikes, and a 2nd hand sports goods store w/ them too. May be different in your area, sounds like.

Yeah, I'd be in a much better place financially if I worked overtime and didn't buy as much random junk, but I need fun things sometimes to keep me happy.

Edited by MEDdMI, 01 August 2020 - 03:37 PM.

#91 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6862 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:38 PM

Videomaster, I have an old cheap pair of Bluetooth earbuds I'm not using anymore,

See this is the really annoying thing about myself when it comes to this.

I can't wear ear buds. If they stick INSIDE your ear, my ears ACHE after only a few minutes. Trying to use them is literally painful, so I'm stuck with the huge over the ear headphones.

I found a pair for just under 40 from Sony on Amazon. Taking a chance with them.

As for a bike, right now I'm feeling my best bet if I don't find anything on Facebook market place, is to wait till my next check and take all I've saved up and try for a really good bike from a bike shop.

2nd hand stores/yard sales probably aren't going to bear any fruit. Not with how things are right now in the world and the simple fact that I couldn't really get to them anyway. Or at the very least I haven't seen many yard sales in my area, and besides the occasional Goodwill don't know many 2nd hand shops. :/

Wish I could afford a car, but that's been a dream I've almost just given up on. I don't make enough at one job to get anywhere close to buying one, worry about if I could pay for a repair if it ever broke down. Have no savings, and came from a very poor family, so no family help and no credit to speak of. Most credit cards reject any application from me. I could have gotten one from my old bank, but they'd take like 300 as collateral, and I kinda need all I have to live.

Literally every time I try to save money, some shit happens that takes my entire new savings. Unless I basically never bought myself any games/movies/etc and never went out to do anything, which I'm not willing to do. And I don't mean I go out and buy a new game every week or something. The most I've done this last couple of years is the occasional Limited run game, being they are LIMITED, and I got myself about 3 or 4 new games I really wanted. (Not at once, just various months) I work hard, I want to reward myself with a game or movie every other month. It's not like I spent everything I get the moment I get it.

Sorry, went off a bit there. Just frustrated right now. I had some co-workers basically preaching to me how I should live and it's annoying. I'm glad people can maybe live without ever spending money, or eating nothing but ramen. I respect those who can work multiple jobs. But I can't do any of that. I need better food then cheap noodles, I'd go nuts if I couldn't buy anything I wanted ever, and last time I tried working two jobs, I began to have suicidal thoughts...

Sometimes I think I hate being me. Maybe I'm just making excuses. Sorry woke up feeling shitty today, gonna shut up now.

I don't remember do you work retail? Are you full time?
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#92 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5522 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:48 AM

Sorry for late reply. Got caught up with other things and didn't feel I had the energy to deal with thinking about this stuff for a bit.

Small update on my headphones. I got them, but they aren't great. Despite that I use a Sony PS Vita as my mp3 player and the headphones are from Sony. The range is atrocious. If I put the Vita in my pocket, and stand up straight... it'll loose connection. I literally put it in a small bag and hung in ON MY CHEST to get better connection, but looked to my right and it lost connection.

I still have to test if it's the headphones or if the Vita just has crappy bluetooth range. I wish the bleeping headphone jack would just work so I could avoid this issue. Guess I'll have to look into maybe just getting some sort of different mp3 player or something.

I work in a deli for a Target. I'm full time when there are enough hours, and given it's just me and one other person who know how to run the deli properly, I get full hours. We're currently trying to train people to take some of the shifts I can't do, but it's a slow process. I swear there are so many people that just don't want to put effort into anything. (That or they get overwhelmed by all you have to keep track of, which after coming from my last nightmare job, I just don't see this one as all that difficult to do, so I can't relate)

For the last two weeks I've worked 11am to 7pm. Except my commute to work is via a bicycle as I've said, and it takes me about an hour to make the trip. A trip which isn't easy thanks to my bike being a speed cruiser, which yeah I'm pretty sure isn't meant for this sort of thing.

I've thought about getting a job closer to home, but the one time I tried that it didn't pan out. I applied for the Kroger my roommate works at. What annoys me is they called me I think Sunday while I was at my current job, while I was busy so I couldn't answer. By the time I could, the timeframe they gave me to call that day had passed. They had told me in a voice mail to call them back as soon as I could. So first thing I can Monday Morning I did, only for them to tell me they weren't going ahead with the hiring process for me.

Like I'm sorry, why did I have to call YOU to get that? Just tell me that in the flipping voice mail. Why the bleep did you waste my damn time having me call you? What kinda messed up shit is that?

Even so I was only planning on leaving my current job as my manager had left the store and I didn't care for who they said they were replacing her with. Except that lasted all of a week or two before the REAL new manager came in, and she's just as understanding as my old one. They respect me, they understand my situation and do what they can to help me out.

So basically while the commute sucks, the people I work with are decent human beings, so I've basically been sticking it out as I know it could be so much worse.

Spoiler

#93 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5522 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:04 AM

Seems it's the vita. It just has really crappy bluetooth. It also drains the battery if you forget to unpair it with the headphones, or simply forget to stop the music player. Even if you turn the headphones off. 

This made me link my phone to them, and surprise surprise, I can leave phone on my desk downstairs in my room, walk upstairs and have no issues with connection.

Meanwhile I can have my vita literally in a bag hanging from my right shoulder, and if I look too far right I lose connection... Guess I'm just going to have to see about transferring my music to my phone. Thankfully SD cards seem to range around 30 bucks for pretty good sizes. I get paid this Friday so I'll try then. Pandora might work in the meantime. I'm just really don't want or need my hour long commute to be that quiet. Gotta have some music.

I know it seems strange that I'm getting worked up over something so small, but that's kinda been the thing for me and life. I'm sadly used to the big things going wrong, so when the small things go wrong it ends up too much.

Spoiler

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users