Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (29 September 2020 - 01:35 AM)

Ever notice Kath SOucie's Janine in the later episodes of Real Ghostbusters sounds like Tara Strong's Sari Sumdac?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 September 2020 - 02:10 PM)

I wish they were more universal like Beast Wars, Animated or Prime and as professionally done,

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 September 2020 - 02:06 PM)

The Netflix shows are done for adults, the Generation toyline is for adults who grew up with G1.

@  Sabrblade : (28 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Who said it ever was?

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Whatever happened to WFC Earthrise being a kids show X'D

@  wonko the sane? : (28 September 2020 - 11:43 AM)

Cool, my last tablet couldn't run it, and I stopped caring by the time I got the new one. So thanks!

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:27 AM)

There are crossover characters, but the amount and distribution... Marvel Vs Capcom this ain't.  If @wonko the sane? my bad!

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:21 AM)

I've been playing for *checks account* 1002 days, 23 hours.  So, by 2021, it will have been three years.  I think it takes place in its own continuity, largely inspired by G1 but borrowing from other places.

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

@wonko the sane? Can only speak for Earth Wars, but so few they're easy to forget.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 September 2020 - 07:39 AM)

Didn't they already do the across universes thing in that tablet game?

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:30 AM)

Also, make the setting an amalgamation of different Transformers series, rather than based on a specific one. Bring in things like 'Sentinel Major' as the primo Autobot jerk, and sleek car mode Vehicons as the Decepticons' basic grunt.

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:27 AM)

KT just needs to incorporate the vehicle modes into the combat system, like Platinum did for Devastation, so they're for more than just wheeling it across the battlefield. =P

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:25 AM)

Transformers: Warriors of Cybertron! =D

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (28 September 2020 - 05:15 AM)

I want a Power Rangers Mosu. I would also take a Transformers Mosu. :D

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 September 2020 - 04:50 AM)

It even ended on a sequel hook.

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 04:40 AM)

Man, I just want another Devastation game... =(

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 September 2020 - 01:53 AM)

Aren't TFs way more varied than Joes, as far as they'd work in gameplay? Like, Omega Supreme is vastly different from Bumblebee.

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 10:16 PM)

Hell, ripoff Super Robot Wars withTFs

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 10:16 PM)

IDK they could make something like FF tactics or Fire Emblem ripoff with Robots and i'd buy it

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 September 2020 - 09:43 PM)

See, I feel GI Joe (with it's varied cast) is a better fit for a strategy game, where as Transformers feels more suited for a shooter.

@  Maruten : (27 September 2020 - 08:28 PM)

I might give them points for making a strategy game if it's actually a good strategy game.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 07:48 PM)

I mean, points for making a strategy game instead of third person shooter, but: urrrrgggg. Cyberverse.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 07:47 PM)

A transformers game for the switch? *checks* Urrrggg... cyberverse...

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 September 2020 - 06:28 PM)

October will be a big month for Hasbro fans: Zoids, GI Joe AND Transformers all have brand new console games. All on the Switch at that!

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 09:04 AM)

At least in animated he was more driven than just "loyal bootlick".

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 08:29 AM)

Oof, That's a huge downgrade

@  Maximus Ambus : (27 September 2020 - 02:35 AM)

After rewatching Animated Sound and Fury, in my head canon Titans Return Soundwave is that Soundwave.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:09 PM)

On an unrelated note: I just got the BBTS email about kingdom pre-orders... and even the stuff I don't want I'm perfectly willing to get if it means I can have the rest of it.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:08 PM)

It's digimon. So first one, then the other.

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

50/50 odds, it's either a helicopter with limbs, or a scantily-clad human with heli blades on their back. If female, 90% odds on the second one.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 September 2020 - 12:39 PM)

I read that as "Helicoptermon" and wondered what kind of Digimon that was.

@  Bass X0 : (26 September 2020 - 12:35 PM)

Helicopter-mom, transform!

@  Maximus Ambus : (25 September 2020 - 11:58 PM)

Aw I scratched the hood of my 35th anniversary Bluestreak. Fortunately he's in robot mode a lot.

@  Sabrblade : (25 September 2020 - 07:24 PM)

No decoration could improve the wall more than Knockout himself

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 September 2020 - 05:04 PM)

The wall could use some decorating, though. Maybe a nice shelf or a portrait.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 04:32 PM)

I'm laughing so hard XDDD

@  ▲ndrusi : (25 September 2020 - 02:31 PM)

He doesn't even mind this time. You know what? It's comfortable here.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 02:23 PM)

AND THEN KNOCKOUT WAS IN THE WALL AGAIN XDDD

@  Bass X0 : (25 September 2020 - 01:11 PM)

is an annoying stage in Super Mario World.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 September 2020 - 02:15 PM)

Gnarly.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Beast Era, a blonde rat called Sunsqueaker.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

And then Knockout was in the wall again.

@  Sabrblade : (24 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Knockout: "Ooh, sorry, Lord Megatron. The correct word was... 'Decepticon'."

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 September 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Knockout: *while doing a crossword puzzle* Lord Megatron, whats a ten letter word for disappointment? | Megatron: ...... Starscream.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

Photo
- - - - -

What movie/TV cliche annoys you the most?

129 replies to this topic

#41 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 43789 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:28 AM

The male and female leads must inevitably fall in love. I mean: I understand it as a writing device, you need something to add drama and tension between characters especially in long running shows and series. But... holy hug, every god damn time.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#42 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3385 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

2. "Greatest Hits" soundtracks: 

Something I see far too often in "period" pieces is the soundtrack consisting of only those songs that are still remembered at the time the film is made, regardless of how popular the song was back in the day or whether the characters would actually listen to that kind of music. 

For example, imagine a hypothetical film about a group of heavy metal fans in the 1980s. 9 for 10, the soundtrack's going to include acts like Quiet Riot, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, and perhaps Twisted Sister... specifically, the two or three songs the general public knows from each band. KISS? Judas Priest? Accept? Loudness? Alice Cooper? Less well known songs from the more mainstream metal bands? No dice. 

What?  How can you do something with heavy metal and not have KISS?  That is unacceptable.

#43 unluckiness

unluckiness

The wonder of amazement

• Citizen
  • 20459 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:36 AM

Anything involving hospitals. Especially defibrillating patients in myocardial infarction.

Strange is lucky he's got that magician gig because being in an operating room not aseptic could cost him his license to practice

XgxCpmP.png

#44 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3385 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:46 AM

#5. Obvious Author Inserts:

One character is very obviously the writer in disguise. They echo the writer's real-life sentiments about a matter, like everything the author likes, and hate everything the author hates. 

...And they won't shut up about it. 

It's one thing if this is done sparingly and appropriately, such as when the writer decides to do a "very special episode" and needs someone to deliver what the author believes to be an important message about a topic. 

It's another thing if it happens every single episode, such that the author insert is constantly trying to preach at the audience or steer the plot along in a fashion that the author wants despite the series not going that direction. 

The former can be forgiven. The latter is when it becomes obvious that the writers aren't as competent as they were selling themselves as. 

Family Guy was guilty of this for the longest time.

#45 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48338 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

The male and female leads must inevitably fall in love. I mean: I understand it as a writing device, you need something to add drama and tension between characters especially in long running shows and series. But... holy hug, every god damn time.

This is the main reason I stopped watching Castle. The show really lost its magic when it forced the two to be a couple.

One character is very obviously the writer in disguise. They echo the writer's real-life sentiments about a matter, like everything the author likes, and hate everything the author hates. 

It's one thing if this is done sparingly and appropriately, such as when the writer decides to do a "very special episode" and needs someone to deliver what the author believes to be an important message about a topic. 

It's another thing if it happens every single episode, such that the author insert is constantly trying to preach at the audience or steer the plot along in a fashion that the author wants despite the series not going that direction. 

The former can be forgiven. The latter is when it becomes obvious that the writers aren't as competent as they were selling themselves as. 

As far as I'm aware, Family Guy is still guilty of it. They just mock the audience by pointing it out now. One of the multitude of reasons I stopped watching.

#46 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11835 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:43 AM

Endemic to superhero shows: rushing through decades worth of comic plot-points in half a season, then ending up having to turn the show into a soap opera because they've run out of material and developed the characters too fast to have any challenge left.

Learn to pace yourselves. Also, stop making "teenage" sidekicks the same age as the rest of the cast. Gotham and Stranger Things should have proved by now that the world wont end if you put actual teens in an adult-aimed show.

#47 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 24024 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:58 AM

Endemic to superhero shows: rushing through decades worth of comic plot-points in half a season, then ending up having to turn the show into a soap opera because they've run out of material and developed the characters too fast to have any challenge left.

Are you sure that's not just because of the people making live-action adaptations? Like, I don't recall Brave and the Bold running into this from what I saw, despite that rushing through a lot of characters and material.

#48 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11835 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:37 PM

True, I was thinking mainly of the live-action ones. Animated shows tend to be better at coming up with new action-based storylines (possibly due to not having to budget for stunts and/or VFX).

#49 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39394 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

Ongoing plot lines which consist of a man simply wearing a woman down until she gives in to his romantic advances, with this being portrayed as positive and the man's behavior is encouraged by the other characters while the woman suffers social consequences/ostracism for rejecting him. Typically you'll see the woman negatively characterized as "cold" or "mean" while the man is "a nice guy", even if episodes involve him trying to trick, manipulate, or even guilt the woman into a date.

I said I was sorry!

=====

"Peace will come when we want it hard enough/humans are secretly awesome". The idea no species in the multiverse could be better than humans and we could have peace by dinner time if we really wanted it. It ignores many realities of human nature and I've never really felt sci fi did a good job arguing it's sustainable.

The "Earth is special/Humans are special" thing is something I truly hate.  It feels limiting, especially in stuff like Star Trek or, hell, Transformers.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#50 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

Back to my old demonic ways

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

A character who is a genius in some respect (art, music, science, math, whatever) and also a raging asshole until they meet that one special person who "gets them" and they magically become nice. So glad House never made Dr. House nice.
QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4613 9837 2957 (It's new! Re-add me! Give me your Friend Codes!)

#51 Jet

Jet

Runaway Raccoon

• Citizen
  • 25009 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

Aliens always being humans with slightly changed facial features or technicolor skin. I can accept shit like that in fantasy, but do you really think that all the species in the universe have evolved to look like blue-skinned people with pointy ears?

Edited by ShadowMan024, 28 February 2017 - 06:49 PM.

D&D has to report to shareholders. Pathfinder only has to impress its neckbeards.

#52 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

Ongoing plot lines which consist of a man simply wearing a woman down until she gives in to his romantic advances, with this being portrayed as positive and the man's behavior is encouraged by the other characters while the woman suffers social consequences/ostracism for rejecting him. Typically you'll see the woman negatively characterized as "cold" or "mean" while the man is "a nice guy", even if episodes involve him trying to trick, manipulate, or even guilt the woman into a date.

I said I was sorry!

=====

"Peace will come when we want it hard enough/humans are secretly awesome". The idea no species in the multiverse could be better than humans and we could have peace by dinner time if we really wanted it. It ignores many realities of human nature and I've never really felt sci fi did a good job arguing it's sustainable.

The "Earth is special/Humans are special" thing is something I truly hate.  It feels limiting, especially in stuff like Star Trek or, hell, Transformers.

Cixin Liu's Three-Body Trilogy is a strong antidote to this. They're getting made into movies now so I guess it counts.

I also like The Expanse for its portrayal of spacefaring humanity; there are multiple sides with their own aims in a state of detente and it makes a point of showing that you don't have to be an enlightened humanity to colonise space - new problems arise.

In fact I find myself preferring sci-fi with a realist view of humanity these days. 

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#53 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 8869 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:26 PM

Aliens always being humans with slightly changed facial features or technicolor skin. I can accept shit like that in fantasy, but do you really think that all the species in the universe have evolved to look like blue-skinned people with pointy ears?

i can kinda let that slide, at least for tv.  unless they go for total cgi aliens they still have to use humans to portray them cause they can only do so much with their budget. and at least tng tried to give it an explanation in one of their episodes (the chase)

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#54 Jet

Jet

Runaway Raccoon

• Citizen
  • 25009 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:29 PM

Part of the reason I like some of the weirder Movieverse TFs (ROTF Demolishor, for example) is because they're actually alien-looking.

D&D has to report to shareholders. Pathfinder only has to impress its neckbeards.

#55 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25546 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:12 PM

Trucks are invariably indestructible battering rams driven by psychotic murderers.

I mean this thing breaks really easily. And frequently. You have no idea how fragile it is.

Edited by Nutjob R/T, 28 February 2017 - 09:20 PM.

Earth is Kill because Santa.

#56 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:36 PM

If it's done well, the pair are obvious complements, and the relationship begins organically, then I'm just fine with this. For example, I've heard numerous Joe fans praise the way the relationship between Flint and Lady Jaye was handled in the Sunbow series.

OTOH, too many instances of this are, indeed, the writers deciding "Hey - we have these two leads, and they're not officially involved with anyone. Let's hook them up!". At best, this is just a stock trope. At worst, forcing a pairing can actually drag things down as the writers have to try and justify it.

2. "Greatest Hits" soundtracks: 

Something I see far too often in "period" pieces is the soundtrack consisting of only those songs that are still remembered at the time the film is made, regardless of how popular the song was back in the day or whether the characters would actually listen to that kind of music. 

For example, imagine a hypothetical film about a group of heavy metal fans in the 1980s. 9 for 10, the soundtrack's going to include acts like Quiet Riot, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, and perhaps Twisted Sister... specifically, the two or three songs the general public knows from each band. KISS? Judas Priest? Accept? Loudness? Alice Cooper? Less well known songs from the more mainstream metal bands? No dice.

What?  How can you do something with heavy metal and not have KISS?  That is unacceptable.

Take a look at the soundtracks for films actually made during a period, and compare them to soundtracks for "period" films.

For example, 1980s-vintage horror film "Trick or Treat" ( https://en.wikipedia...eat_(1986_film)) used music from the group Fastway. Meanwhile, the kid's record and poster collections included material from such groups as Savatage, Anthrax, Raven, Ozzy (who had a cameo in the film), KISS (Gene Simmons also had a cameo), Judas Priest, and a few acts that are largely forgotten about.

In contrast, consider the series "Ashes To Ashes" ( https://en.wikipedia...es)#Soundtracks). Three soundtracks were released for the series, and between them there's only a handful of bands that aren't common players on "Greatest Hits Of The 80s" albums. Most everyone here have probably heard half the songs even *if* they hate 80s music or were born after the period.

There's been a few other shows as well.

I mean, even as a kid I was annoyed at how "Real Adventures of Johnny Quest" kept forcing social commentary into episodes, with individual episodes being nothing but author tracts about things like "how hunting is evil".

I've also heard that a number of people came to hate "The Simpsons" because past a certain point it became like that as well.

Probably the single worst offender I've seen, though, is the anime series "Earth Maiden Arjuna", which gave us such doozies as "Japan wouldn't need nuclear power if everyone could live without their air conditioning during the summer!" and "I'm XXY because my mom was exposed to chemicals, so technically I'm biologically male despite having lived my entire life as a woman! Pollution robbed me of ever having a family!" (same character, next scene: "Yeah, some guy in an environmental group I was with actually proposed to me, but I turned him down.").

#57 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

6. Not Our Department, Not Competent

The hero is a member of some sort of organization. Everyone who isn't a member of that organization is an idiot, fascist, or cowboy.

The hero is a beat cop? The FBI agents they work with are jerks.

The hero is an FBI agent? The local beat cops are yokels.

Et cetra.

While there often is some friction between different departments in real life and there are occasions where groups trip over each other, it's rare to see these organizations depicted as working with each other instead of against each other.

#58 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 10073 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:52 PM

Jack Bauer interrogation. Torture was been scientifically proven to not work time and time again. Also, most humans are weak and will bend to something else easier than torture.

#59 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:59 PM

Jack Bauer interrogation. Torture was been scientifically proven to not work time and time again. Also, most humans are weak and will bend to something else easier than torture.

A few years ago I read a story posted online by a retired police officer.

His favorite preferred interrogation method?

Let the person have all the coffee or water they want to drink.

In most cases, a person trying to outlast him or his fellow officers would consume so much that they'd end up needing to use the bathroom. At that point, it would be in their best interest to go ahead, give the cops what they want, and get their release so that they could hit the can. Apparently, it was quite effective at getting information.

#60 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11276 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:00 PM

i can kinda let that slide, at least for tv.  unless they go for total cgi aliens they still have to use humans to portray them cause they can only do so much with their budget. and at least tng tried to give it an explanation in one of their episodes (the chase)

Power rangers/Sentai/Kamen Rider don't have this problem :D

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users