Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (29 September 2020 - 01:35 AM)

Ever notice Kath SOucie's Janine in the later episodes of Real Ghostbusters sounds like Tara Strong's Sari Sumdac?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 September 2020 - 02:10 PM)

I wish they were more universal like Beast Wars, Animated or Prime and as professionally done,

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 September 2020 - 02:06 PM)

The Netflix shows are done for adults, the Generation toyline is for adults who grew up with G1.

@  Sabrblade : (28 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Who said it ever was?

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Whatever happened to WFC Earthrise being a kids show X'D

@  wonko the sane? : (28 September 2020 - 11:43 AM)

Cool, my last tablet couldn't run it, and I stopped caring by the time I got the new one. So thanks!

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:27 AM)

There are crossover characters, but the amount and distribution... Marvel Vs Capcom this ain't.  If @wonko the sane? my bad!

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:21 AM)

I've been playing for *checks account* 1002 days, 23 hours.  So, by 2021, it will have been three years.  I think it takes place in its own continuity, largely inspired by G1 but borrowing from other places.

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

@wonko the sane? Can only speak for Earth Wars, but so few they're easy to forget.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 September 2020 - 07:39 AM)

Didn't they already do the across universes thing in that tablet game?

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:30 AM)

Also, make the setting an amalgamation of different Transformers series, rather than based on a specific one. Bring in things like 'Sentinel Major' as the primo Autobot jerk, and sleek car mode Vehicons as the Decepticons' basic grunt.

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:27 AM)

KT just needs to incorporate the vehicle modes into the combat system, like Platinum did for Devastation, so they're for more than just wheeling it across the battlefield. =P

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:25 AM)

Transformers: Warriors of Cybertron! =D

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (28 September 2020 - 05:15 AM)

I want a Power Rangers Mosu. I would also take a Transformers Mosu. :D

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 September 2020 - 04:50 AM)

It even ended on a sequel hook.

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 04:40 AM)

Man, I just want another Devastation game... =(

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 September 2020 - 01:53 AM)

Aren't TFs way more varied than Joes, as far as they'd work in gameplay? Like, Omega Supreme is vastly different from Bumblebee.

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 10:16 PM)

Hell, ripoff Super Robot Wars withTFs

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 10:16 PM)

IDK they could make something like FF tactics or Fire Emblem ripoff with Robots and i'd buy it

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 September 2020 - 09:43 PM)

See, I feel GI Joe (with it's varied cast) is a better fit for a strategy game, where as Transformers feels more suited for a shooter.

@  Maruten : (27 September 2020 - 08:28 PM)

I might give them points for making a strategy game if it's actually a good strategy game.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 07:48 PM)

I mean, points for making a strategy game instead of third person shooter, but: urrrrgggg. Cyberverse.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 07:47 PM)

A transformers game for the switch? *checks* Urrrggg... cyberverse...

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 September 2020 - 06:28 PM)

October will be a big month for Hasbro fans: Zoids, GI Joe AND Transformers all have brand new console games. All on the Switch at that!

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 09:04 AM)

At least in animated he was more driven than just "loyal bootlick".

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 08:29 AM)

Oof, That's a huge downgrade

@  Maximus Ambus : (27 September 2020 - 02:35 AM)

After rewatching Animated Sound and Fury, in my head canon Titans Return Soundwave is that Soundwave.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:09 PM)

On an unrelated note: I just got the BBTS email about kingdom pre-orders... and even the stuff I don't want I'm perfectly willing to get if it means I can have the rest of it.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:08 PM)

It's digimon. So first one, then the other.

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

50/50 odds, it's either a helicopter with limbs, or a scantily-clad human with heli blades on their back. If female, 90% odds on the second one.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 September 2020 - 12:39 PM)

I read that as "Helicoptermon" and wondered what kind of Digimon that was.

@  Bass X0 : (26 September 2020 - 12:35 PM)

Helicopter-mom, transform!

@  Maximus Ambus : (25 September 2020 - 11:58 PM)

Aw I scratched the hood of my 35th anniversary Bluestreak. Fortunately he's in robot mode a lot.

@  Sabrblade : (25 September 2020 - 07:24 PM)

No decoration could improve the wall more than Knockout himself

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 September 2020 - 05:04 PM)

The wall could use some decorating, though. Maybe a nice shelf or a portrait.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 04:32 PM)

I'm laughing so hard XDDD

@  ▲ndrusi : (25 September 2020 - 02:31 PM)

He doesn't even mind this time. You know what? It's comfortable here.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 02:23 PM)

AND THEN KNOCKOUT WAS IN THE WALL AGAIN XDDD

@  Bass X0 : (25 September 2020 - 01:11 PM)

is an annoying stage in Super Mario World.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 September 2020 - 02:15 PM)

Gnarly.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Beast Era, a blonde rat called Sunsqueaker.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

And then Knockout was in the wall again.

@  Sabrblade : (24 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Knockout: "Ooh, sorry, Lord Megatron. The correct word was... 'Decepticon'."

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 September 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Knockout: *while doing a crossword puzzle* Lord Megatron, whats a ten letter word for disappointment? | Megatron: ...... Starscream.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

Photo
- - - - -

What movie/TV cliche annoys you the most?

129 replies to this topic

#1 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 10073 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:17 AM

Inspired by some threads I have seen on Reddit, I'm starting this thread so that we can discuss things that are completely overdone in media and/or are maddeningly unrealistic. To start, I will name these three:

1. When misunderstandings spiral out of control because characters unnecessarily jump to conclusions rather than stop for just a minute to clear up what just happened. Case in point: romcom scenes where one person sees their romantic interest in an awkward situation with a third person but rather than assume good faith and just ask what is going on, jump to the wild conclusion that their lover is cheating on them.

2. Foreigners who inexplicably speak English with fluent grammar but in a ridiculous accent.

3. "Ugly" characters who are played by attractive actors.

#2 Caldwin

Caldwin

Boomerang Master

• Supporter
  • 26260 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:31 AM

1. Kinda goes along with your number 1, except instead of a misunderstanding, the protagonist is lying about something and the whole movie you're just waiting for it to all come down around his/her head. Easiest examples would be movies like Tootsie, Mrs. Doubtfire, She's the Man, Just One of the Guys. But it's just as bad in movies like While You Were Sleeping, Best Friends Wedding, The Proposal.

2. Fart jokes.

3. Whenever you go to New Orleans, it's always Mardi Gras. Whenever you go to Mexico, it's always Day of the Dead. There are other days in the year.
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#3 unluckiness

unluckiness

The wonder of amazement

• Citizen
  • 20459 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

Laugh tracks can go to hell. Any show that has to tell its audience when to laugh does not deserve to call itaelf a comedy

Edited by unluckiness, 27 February 2017 - 09:36 AM.

XgxCpmP.png

#4 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

Hollywood hacking and the wilful misunderstanding of technology that goes with it, see: generic crime investigation shows.

"Let's hack into this guy's mainframe!" awghsdfbsfghsdgjURiohzjdgbhkutjhiofjkygufhgyuh "I'm in!"

It instantly takes me out of the story, it's so infuriating. YOU WROTE THIS SCRIPT ON A COMPUTER, YOU KNOW THAT'S NOT HOW THEY WORK!

This is why I have more respect for works like Mr Robot and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. And I love that Elysium actually justified it with a futuristic command line interface. NCIS and CSI can go to hell.

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#5 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:52 AM

When the heroes disable the leader boss thingy and all the drones/mooks just die/shut down.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#6 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5544 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

For me, two readily jump to mind:

1: Gross = Funny.

Because no. No it does not. Too many shows, too many times do I see this gross imagery or situations thrown at me and it's suppose to be humorous. "Hey look! This kid has snot all over his shirt! Hilarious!"  :angry

2: The Rashomon style trope. That stupid thing where you get the same event told to you about three or more times, with EVERY SINGLE ONE being 'different'

it infuriates me, because most times I see it, it's so incredibly obvious they are lying. We all know you are lying and over exaggerating what happened. STOP LYING.

Edited by videomaster21XX, 27 February 2017 - 09:56 AM.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#7 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14542 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

One thing that annoys me is Poor Communication Kills, largely to how cheap it is as a conflict source and how hard it is to not make predictable.

Edited by lastmaximal, 27 February 2017 - 10:26 AM.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#8 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3248 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

Enhance! Zoom in on the reflection of her eye! Rotate 75 degrees around the vertical! Uncrop!

One that really bugs me is when the female/turncoat of some crazy weird alien race/villain gang doesn't at all look like they belong. Like, the rest of the group has bizarrely-jointed tentacles and multiple nested mouths and all sorts of weirdness, but then that one is just a woman with green skin.

#9 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11834 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

Less "in" the movie/show itself, but still evident; writers/producers who are convinced that something can be either realistic/accurate or exciting/interesting/funny, but never both (and even making the attempt will get you kicked off the writing staff).

Do they think that real life is really that boring?

#10 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 10073 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

Women working in heels for no reason. Oh god shoot me a million times over. NO ONE CAN LIVE 24/7 IN HEELS YOU DIMWIT PRODUCERS.

The most egregious example that comes to my mind is that one first or second season The Blacklist episode where that Russian assassin gets chased by FBI agents on the grounds of the Lincoln Memorial. She's wearing heels outdoors to do her job. She bloody runs from armed cops while wearing heels. What the bloody hell.

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 27 February 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#11 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 8869 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

tv:

pretty white rich people with "problems". turns out their biggest problem is finding someone to sleep with and/or screw over

starting an episode with a part that comes in the middle and then going back to see what led to it

everyone in the show being impossibly attractive. the one for this that jumps to mind is arrow (only the first season as i didnt watch any further than that). not a single "normal" looking person there. everyone is flawless

movies:

sex scenes/romance subplots in movies they dont need to be in, mainly action movies. it just slows the movie down. biggest offender is lord of the rings. im sorry, but the aragorn/arwen romance was THE LEAST interesting part of those movies and i frequently skip them all together. and of course the bond films

"forget everything you think you know". this line didnt really bug me until i started watching the youtube channel cinemasins. its more prominent than i thought. at least when they said it in doctor strange it made sense

the villain PLANNING to get captured. i.e. avengers, the dark knight, skyfall and who knows how many more i didnt see. skyfalls was just ridiculous. theres no way silva could coordinated EVERYTHING to go that smoothly (especially that subway he had crash through)

im sure theres more but those are what came to mind

Edited by Telly, 27 February 2017 - 01:26 PM.

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#12 Caldwin

Caldwin

Boomerang Master

• Supporter
  • 26260 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:27 PM

Women working in heels for no reason. Oh god shoot me a million times over. NO ONE CAN LIVE 24/7 IN HEELS YOU DIMWIT PRODUCERS.

The most egregious example that comes to my mind is that one first or second season The Blacklist episode where that Russian assassin gets chased by FBI agents on the grounds of the Lincoln Memorial. She's wearing heels outdoors to do her job. She bloody runs from armed cops while wearing heels. What the bloody hell.

Although I do like it when they avert it. Like at first a woman will be running in high-heels, pause, take them off and throw them away and prefer to continue the chase barefoot. I've seen that a few times. It's like...thank goodness they're at least trying to call out the trope as being ridiculous.

Also, bottomless magazines. Action films have been getting a little better at this recently with characters actually doing occasional reloads. But it's still more often than not after they've already shot far more bullets than would should be in a magazine. 

Also, this is probably something I notice more now because I actually own a gun and have been to the classes...but damn! Hollywood knows nothing about gun-safety. And when they do, it's totally weird. A civilian shows up James Bond on how she knows how to treat a gun right after he was being completely reckless in the latest SPECTRE movie. WTF?

PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#13 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3385 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:27 PM

The whole hero doesn't kill thing.  "I'm better than you, Mr. Who Just Killed a Bunch of People, so I refuse to kill you.  Sure you'll get out and kill more people."

#14 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:22 PM

Enhance! Zoom in on the reflection of her eye! Rotate 75 degrees around the vertical! Uncrop!

One that really bugs me is when the female/turncoat of some crazy weird alien race/villain gang doesn't at all look like they belong. Like, the rest of the group has bizarrely-jointed tentacles and multiple nested mouths and all sorts of weirdness, but then that one is just a woman with green skin.

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#15 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 10073 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:54 PM

The whole hero doesn't kill thing.  "I'm better than you, Mr. Who Just Killed a Bunch of People, so I refuse to kill you.  Sure you'll get out and kill more people."

Similarly though less common, I hate when a medical person cites the Hippocratic Oath in choosing to treat a wounded villain when it's an obvious situation where no secure restraints are available and thus the villain will almost certainly escape to cause more harm right away. "Do no harm" my ass.

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 27 February 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#16 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39394 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

Hack writing.  See: All Big Four network shows.

A good premise getting ruined because a network won't let a series end. 

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#17 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

Oh gosh. I'll likely do multiple small posts spaced out so that I don't clog the thread, but here goes - 

1. Creative talents injecting personal social commentary: 

I think we've all seen this before, at least to some extent. The writer has made the decision that they're going to turn their work into an "author tract", and as such they're going to vent their personal feelings about a topic, no matter how appropriate the situation is or how little research the writer has done on the issue. The heroes all regurgitate whatever the author's social and political beliefs are, and the villains are everyone who say anything but. Nobody can simply disagree on an issue; the opposing party has to be shown in the worst light possible. 

If a character is in favor of gun control, they can't be a mother who lost her child to a gang brawl; they have to be a fascist whose ultimate goal is complete disarmament of the populace so that the government can take over. If a character opposes gun control, they can't be a humble rancher who needs to drop the occasional bear or wolf that's going after his cattle; they have to be a right-wing militia member who expects the government to go Waco on him at any given moment. Et cetra. 

2. "Greatest Hits" soundtracks: 

Something I see far too often in "period" pieces is the soundtrack consisting of only those songs that are still remembered at the time the film is made, regardless of how popular the song was back in the day or whether the characters would actually listen to that kind of music. 

For example, imagine a hypothetical film about a group of heavy metal fans in the 1980s. 9 for 10, the soundtrack's going to include acts like Quiet Riot, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, and perhaps Twisted Sister... specifically, the two or three songs the general public knows from each band. KISS? Judas Priest? Accept? Loudness? Alice Cooper? Less well known songs from the more mainstream metal bands? No dice. 

3. Mandatory "Girl Power" episodes: 

I understand that writers want to show off the fact that the female cast members are competent in their own right, especially in their areas of expertise. Problem is, I've seen far too many situations past and present where the writers decided that the best way to do so was to hand the male characters the "idiot ball" or otherwise go to some absurd lengths to remove any competence or relevance they have. The end result is that instead of depicting the female characters as competent, it depicts the male characters as maroons. 

For example, the classic G. I. Joe episode "Cobra's Candidate" sees the male members of a Joe task force captured by Cobra, leaving the two female members to complete the mission. How are they captured? The Dreadnoks somehow succeeded in getting ATVs up to the roof of an apartment building in the middle of a major city, then jumped those ATVs from rooftop to rooftop until they were able to get to the building the guys were climbing up... in the process landing their ATVs so that the back tires were spinning out on the fire escape ladder the Joes were trying to climb, ultimately causing the ladder to tear free and fall down on them. There aren't enough facepalms to cover how much the writers had to stretch reality to make this happen. Rosie O'Donnell has a better chance of winning the next Miss America competition than these events have of happening in real life. 

4. Gore Horror: 

Perhaps the biggest thing burning me out on horror films is the fact that entirely too many mainstream jobs feel the need to make the content as graphic and bloody as possible. It's almost like it's not a horror film unless someone's getting disemboweled right in front of the camera. Not only do people get desensitized to this kind of nonsense after a while, it can even create a backlash among people who know what that kind of stuff looks like and also trigger people who have legitimate anxiety or PTSD issues. 

I'd love to see some old-school Hitchcock psychological horror come back around, one where they don't telegraph anything but where all of the pieces and clues are still there regardless. 

#18 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4807 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:57 PM

Ongoing plot lines which consist of a man simply wearing a woman down until she gives in to his romantic advances, with this being portrayed as positive and the man's behavior is encouraged by the other characters while the woman suffers social consequences/ostracism for rejecting him. Typically you'll see the woman negatively characterized as "cold" or "mean" while the man is "a nice guy", even if episodes involve him trying to trick, manipulate, or even guilt the woman into a date.

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~Coco Chanel

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#19 Zillatron

Zillatron

Lord of the Energon Harvest

• Citizen
  • 6395 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:07 PM

Everybody being addressed by their last name only. Especially when two characters who are in a close romantic relationship (or even MARRIED) do it to each other.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#20 Automan2000

Automan2000

Liberati tutumet ex infernis

• Supporter
  • 4554 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:23 PM

Men being incapable of caring for children or doing household tasks.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users