Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  siccoyote : (18 January 2018 - 04:31 AM)

Who sings the first part of the GIJoe The Movie theme song? (Cobra) Sounds so familiar.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 10:46 PM)

Also true.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 10:40 PM)

I hate brick and mortar stores around here.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 10:38 PM)

But I like the feel of the brick and mortar search a bit more. And I can see inside packages at brick and mortar. True, Amazon has a good return policy, but I like buying once and settling.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 10:37 PM)

I suppose I could save more if I bought more often from Amazon.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 10:36 PM)

Closest I got to "free" was 30% off warpath, which just about lined him up to the canadian price had he ever shown up around me. The pile of loot saved me a pile, but it was still pricy.

@  Shrug : (17 January 2018 - 09:34 PM)

Yeah, I purposefully waited on them because I knew they'd be perfect "add onto orders to get free shipping" fodder. Already gotten two that way. Technically "free" and I barely had to wait.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 09:21 PM)

That's how I feel about Prime Masters. Getting back into collecting last year taught me to be patient, which grants rewards most of the time.

@  Shrug : (17 January 2018 - 09:18 PM)

I want Starscream so hard after seeing him in person, but since he's the one being left behind by every other collector in my area, I feel like I can wait for a sale.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 09:09 PM)

I mean: I maybe woulda jumped on starscream if I found a sale or something, but it wasn't a priority.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 09:08 PM)

I only wanted the dinobots (cause... volcanicus.) but got saddled with three I didn't want due to the bundling. I'd still be waiting to order if I had waited on individual figures.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 08:27 PM)

Ahh.. I just ordered the whole case cause I wanted too. :)

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 06:49 PM)

Mostly PotP dinobots. Plus some stuff I couldn't opt out of to get those dinobots. And CW warpath... cause he was on sale.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 04:54 PM)

What ya getting?

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 04:38 PM)

Yay! My package from BBTS is in canada! I might even get it this week!

@  Benbot : (17 January 2018 - 02:04 PM)

I need a laptop more than a new desktop

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 01:18 PM)

Buying a pre-built computer you should be okay.. It's just the individual parts that jumped huge in price.

@  Paladin : (17 January 2018 - 01:14 PM)

well all the idiots who invested in "bitcoin" will be selling theirs en masse to make ends meet so you might be able to find something cheap if you watch auctions.

@  Benbot : (17 January 2018 - 12:59 PM)

Is now a good time to buy a computer? Or should I wait?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 12:01 PM)

I pointed out that I'm on disabilty.. I don't have to pretend to be an adult anymore. ;D

@  MEDdMI : (17 January 2018 - 11:25 AM)

Also Bayonetta 3.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 January 2018 - 10:55 AM)

Nintendo also announced Dark Souls for the Switch, so those people should shut up.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 10:51 AM)

Apparently people are freaking out that Nintendo announced something for kids and kids at heart. And people are absolutely freaking out about it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 January 2018 - 10:23 AM)

...what?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 10:16 AM)

Why is something for kids and "kids at heart" so bad? :(

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 January 2018 - 09:05 PM)

I vote kidnap Reggie.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 January 2018 - 07:20 PM)

Just post it on the net.. Or maybe kidnapp Reggie and make them do a Nintendo Direct about it. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2018 - 06:50 PM)

Rent a space and do a webcast?

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 January 2018 - 06:22 PM)

They could just do a panel at RI ComicCon or something.

@  abates : (16 January 2018 - 05:51 PM)

I wonder how they'll do the Hall of Fame this year without a convention to hold the award ceremony at.

@  B-Fox : (16 January 2018 - 01:33 PM)

metalhawk

@  Shrug : (16 January 2018 - 01:21 PM)

I love RotF Mixmaster, if that means anything.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 January 2018 - 12:42 PM)

Ehh.. when they get to complicated.. it gets annoying. PotP Optimus is decent. Rodimus pushes it just a little.

@  Locoman : (16 January 2018 - 12:32 PM)

Part of the appeal of Transformers for me has always been the mechanical puzzle angle, so I really enjoyed the ROTF/TF2010 line when that angle hit its zenith.

@  Locoman : (16 January 2018 - 12:31 PM)

I'm probably one of the few people who really enjoys complicated, fiddly transformations.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2018 - 12:14 PM)

Some were decent, but many suffered from that "collector mentality" where it just LOOKED good in both modes...but the engineering was complex merely for the sake of it.

@  Shrug : (16 January 2018 - 10:30 AM)

Huh. That's dissapointing. I had completely missed the Alternators and had just always assumed they were good based on how they looked in photos.

@  Pennpenn : (16 January 2018 - 03:34 AM)

I liked the Alternator Tracks mold. I think everyone agrees the Grimjack mold was just kinda shit even if you didn't care about it being Grimlock as a car.

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 January 2018 - 09:16 PM)

My local dept. store Shopko always seemed to get a few late run gems, like Blast Attack Optimus Primal and hard to find collection 2 Revenge of the Sith toys.

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 January 2018 - 09:15 PM)

Still wish I had snagged that extra Swerve I saw on clearance at Shopko, though

@  RichardT1977 : (15 January 2018 - 08:50 PM)

Smokescreen was the only Alternator I ever got.

@  Telly : (15 January 2018 - 07:24 PM)

i sold all my alternators last year

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 January 2018 - 05:27 PM)

Hound isn't bad, and, uh........

@  Paladin : (15 January 2018 - 05:23 PM)

there's only like 3 Alternator molds at most that still hold up...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 January 2018 - 01:09 PM)

There were no shelfwarmer Altenators where I lived.. Cause no one ever got them in. x.x;

@  Bass X0 : (15 January 2018 - 12:57 PM)

I have Alternators Nemesis Prime since he was a shelf warmer here.

@  unluckiness : (15 January 2018 - 10:07 AM)

You wouldn't want to anyway

@  Chromedome113 : (15 January 2018 - 07:21 AM)

My first Prime was Alternators Optimus, I still can't transform him

@  Shrug : (14 January 2018 - 06:42 PM)

Ah. I'll try to remember that, but I keep forgetting "Gobots" the Autobot even existed.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2018 - 05:02 PM)

"Gobots" is the G2 Autobot Color Changer.

Photo
- - - - -

Transformers questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
519 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason
  • Banned
  • 208 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:08 PM

What was the longer name for the Autobots that I Optimus Prime said they were in the movie with Shia LaBeuf? Also, do the Decepticons have a longer name? The last Transformer I bought was Windblade. I bought that one because of Supergirl. At first I got the big version of Windblade because I didn't know I would be going to a store that would have a smaller version, and I didn't even know there was a smaller version. For some reason they don't talk about the Transformers on the packages like they used to, but I'm pretty sure this is a female Transformer because of the picture on the package. I always like to play with Transformers when I'm watching TV, and I wanted one that turns into something that flies. I was playing with Spinister for the longest time, but my dad used to use technicalities, and he used to say that helicopters don't fly technically. I noticed Scourge when they reintroduced the Headmasters that are now called Titans, but I never liked the Headmasters enough to get one. I prefer Transformers that have their own heads.
God bless, Jason Irelan

#2 Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

I live to serve

• Administrator
  • 9451 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

Hi Jason.

I relocated your topic to the general Transformers Discussion forum.  It seems to be a more fitting location for this.

Windblade is indeed a female Transformer.  There is some really cool fiction about her both in the comics as well as in shows such as Robots in Disguise on Cartoon Network and the online series Transformer: Combiner Wars.

I too am not fond of my Transformers having other robots forming their heads, but I have to admit that the Titans Return line has been a lot of fun.  The toys are neat and the playsets make it fun to interact with the little heads.

#3 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 13480 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

"We are autonomous robotic organisms from the planet Cybertron."

"But you can call us 'Autobots', for short."

#4 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 4899 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:54 PM

"We are deceptively ignoble constructed organisms from the planet Cybertron."

#5 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

A taste of power.

• Staff
  • 43476 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

Aw, don't confuse the poor kid, he's going to go off thinking that's a real thing....

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#6 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 4899 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:57 PM

You know, I did actually have that thought and meant to come back and edit the post, but forgot. Yes, my bad, not helpful. 

But it all becomes more confusing if I delete the post and it looks like Copper's talking to LV, so here we are. :)

#7 tec

tec

I'm walking here!

• Supporter
  • 26969 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:01 PM

I also like Spinster and my view of Helicopters is if its off the ground unaided under its own power thats flying

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#8 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 15852 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:17 PM

My feelings on helicopters is that TFs have antigrav to let them fly and so the copters and jets are only ever pretending to fly under the same physics and propulsion actual ones do anyway.

-ZacWilliam, my other feeling on helicopters is "ow ow ow! Don't stick you fingers in the spinning blades!"
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#9 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 8921 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

Hi Jason! The Decepticons haven't ever used a longer name to refer to themselves, but there have been a couple of different stories about where their name comes from. In one, Megatron said that the robots in charge of Cybertron called him a liar and a deceiver when he began to fight against them, but because Megatron really believed what he was saying, he decided he was proud to be a "deceiver," and called the robots that followed him "Decepticons" from that. In another story, before he turned evil, Megatron tried to warn the rest of Cybertron that the government was telling them lies by using the slogan "You Are Being Deceived," which led to the Decepticons basing their name on it.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 22 February 2017 - 06:29 PM.

#10 tec

tec

I'm walking here!

• Supporter
  • 26969 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

and Decivedicons is not as cool as Decepticons

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#11 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 4899 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:29 PM

The real world origins of these terms must be interesting. "Decepticons" is a bit out there... they're more about being evil than telling fibs, right? And "Autobots" tells you virtually nothing useful about the group's inclinations. Do we know whether the faction names came from Hasbro or Budiansky?

#12 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 4149 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:44 PM

I was playing with Spinister for the longest time, but my dad used to use technicalities, and he used to say that helicopters don't fly technically.

Flight is one those words that has several definitions, some of which are similar but subtly different:
https://www.merriam-...ctionary/flight

"A passing through the air or through space outside the earth's atmosphere" describes what helicopters do, but "an act or instance of passing through the air by the use of wings" does not.

Of course, that first one also describes what a brick does if you throw it, so...

TFWiki.net - The Transformers Wiki: Making sure people remember the Beast is a thing that happened.
Follow the Transformers Wiki on Twitter!

#13 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 8921 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:44 PM

The real world origins of these terms must be interesting. "Decepticons" is a bit out there... they're more about being evil than telling fibs, right? And "Autobots" tells you virtually nothing useful about the group's inclinations. Do we know whether the faction names came from Hasbro or Budiansky?

I think it's pretty easy to work out the real-world origins for the names - they're really just rooted in the "robots in disguise" concept, rather than the factions' ideologies. The Autobots turn into automobiles, and the Decepticons deceive you with their disguises. Simple as! 

Edited by Chris McFeely, 22 February 2017 - 07:53 PM.

#14 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 4899 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

I would never have gone to "automobile"... that makes sense I guess. Old people, man. 

#15 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 13480 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

A rotor is a wing!

#16 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1390 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:50 PM

"A passing through the air or through space outside the earth's atmosphere" describes what helicopters do, but "an act or instance of passing through the air by the use of wings" does not.

Well, if you REALLY want to get technical...

https://en.m.wikiped...wiki/Rotor_wing

Of course, that first one also describes what a brick does if you throw it, so...

And it would be more than reasonable to write or say "He hurled the brick; it flew through the air and smashed into the window."

-JimS

#17 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 4149 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

Yeah, you can definitely say the brick took flight, it just wasn't under its own power.

G1 Megatron, on the other hand, moves through the air under his own power but does not have wings, rotor or otherwise. Because gravity is for the weak.

TFWiki.net - The Transformers Wiki: Making sure people remember the Beast is a thing that happened.
Follow the Transformers Wiki on Twitter!

#18 Jason

Jason
  • Banned
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:18 PM

Technically, Kryptonians don't have wings. If anyone would have known whether helicopters fly or not, it would have been my dad because he used to be in the Air Force; and he used to teach a course in aerodynamics or something long before I was born. I'm the youngest of seven kids. Would any of the Transformer cartoons have a chance to having Windblade in them? There's Transformers: Rescue Bots, Transformers Prime Beast Hunters, Transformers Prime, Transformers Animated, and Transformers: Robots in Disguise. I watched an episode of Robots in Disguise last night, and I know that one won't. Transformers Prime was the same as Transformers Prime Beast Hunters according to what I was able to bring up with my remote. My dad told me that if you throw a frisbee, it'll fly when I asked him.
God bless, Jason Irelan

#19 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 15828 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

Windblade is in the current Robots In Disguise cartoon:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Windblade_(RID)

#20 Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

I live to serve

• Administrator
  • 9451 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

Yes, she is in Transformers: Robots in Disguise towards the end of season 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users