Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (22 August 2017 - 09:44 AM)

Nah, they could tell by the lack of the very distinctive dialogue delivery. They just didn't want to be mean.

@  Dracula : (22 August 2017 - 08:42 AM)

Moon base is fine. I knew the castle was a total loss so I gave Olrox my best cape and told him he could have the throne room. The damn belmonts couldn't tell the difference

@  Pennpenn : (22 August 2017 - 06:39 AM)

It's probably because that's a direct quote rather than an attempt to self censor

@  NotVeryKnightly : (22 August 2017 - 06:26 AM)

"shit" isn't filtered anymore

@  Donocropolis : (22 August 2017 - 05:51 AM)

Elvis doesn't do sh*t.

@  Pennpenn : (22 August 2017 - 03:38 AM)

Fine, though Elvis has a bit of a headache.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 August 2017 - 03:27 AM)

How's his moon base?

@  Waspinator : (21 August 2017 - 11:02 PM)

Thankfully, Dracula's castle didn't escape the eclipse this time.

@  Nevermore : (21 August 2017 - 09:41 PM)

In retaliation, President Trump threatens to nuke the moon.

@  Nevermore : (21 August 2017 - 09:40 PM)

This just in: ISIS claims responsibility for the eclipse.

@  Diecast : (21 August 2017 - 06:09 PM)

Which left like a hundred disappointed middle schoolers.

@  Diecast : (21 August 2017 - 06:09 PM)

Where I'm located got 95% eclipse. Which lacked a worthwhile climax. I really should have driven into it, but I planned on going to my science teacher wife's school thing that got cancelled last minute.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 August 2017 - 03:44 PM)

I was considering trying to get the day off for it and driving down south to the US far enough that I could see the total eclipse, but after looking into it it seems like there's another total eclipse coming up in 2024 where the totality will be visible just 45 minutes south-west of me, so I figure I'll wait it out

@  Bass X0 : (21 August 2017 - 03:30 PM)

don't worry, social media didn't.

@  MEDdMI : (21 August 2017 - 02:59 PM)

shoot... I forgot all about the eclipse.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 August 2017 - 02:36 PM)

lewd

@  Bass X0 : (21 August 2017 - 01:30 PM)

i wanted a peek at the sun's peak too.

@  Noideaforaname : (21 August 2017 - 01:02 PM)

Just caught a peak of the 'bitten' sun. COOL!!

@  Noideaforaname : (21 August 2017 - 12:46 PM)

I got my cereal box eclipse viewer ready. Hopefully these clouds part...

@  Dracula : (21 August 2017 - 09:44 AM)

well I'm supposed to be permanently sealed in a dimensional rift today so I've gotta stay on guard

@  Diecast : (21 August 2017 - 09:38 AM)

Any of you nerds going outside today?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 August 2017 - 07:52 AM)

"Would have been?" Isn't he still on the Batgirl thing?

@  unluckiness : (21 August 2017 - 07:46 AM)

It probably wouldn't be worse but it sure would have been really samey to everything else he's done.

@  Paladin : (21 August 2017 - 06:42 AM)

i am still not convinced he could do a worse job with Batgirl than Bruce Timm already did.

@  Pennpenn : (21 August 2017 - 03:42 AM)

The thing to remember about Madman is that they are often more enthusiastic than they are reliable.

@  2017 : (21 August 2017 - 12:01 AM)

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised.

@  Maruten : (20 August 2017 - 10:13 PM)

This stuff I think. http://www.vulture.c...-hypocrite.html

@  Confuzor : (20 August 2017 - 10:05 PM)

The what now?

@  2017 : (20 August 2017 - 09:39 PM)

This news about Joss Whedon sure was a thing to wake up to.

@  Sabrblade : (20 August 2017 - 06:59 PM)

To back up to the original question about Scramble City's existence in regards to the English-language cartoon continuity, the pack-in comic that came with the Australian DVD boxed set released by Madman did feature a timeline of events that included a point in history titles "Scramble City", so that comic may at least want us to "pretend" that Scramble City happened in the cartoon continuity. But then again, that same comic also used the Marvel Comics' asteroid crisis as the true reason for the Ark's launch, and included the Beast Wars as being unambiguously part of this timeline, so make of that comic's timeline what you will.

@  NightViper : (20 August 2017 - 09:16 AM)

And unlike Takara's JG1 that has been steadily evolving and passing itself down from writer to writer in more-or-less smooth transition, anyone going back now to Hasbro's G1 does feel a bit more like changing history rather than reviving or continuing it.

@  NightViper : (20 August 2017 - 09:11 AM)

Editors at Fun Pub didn't feel it was right to try to "fix" or otherwise change or alter other writers' works. Which is why everything Fun Pub-written became its own stream (Animated was written by the same creative team as the show, so it's one of the very few stories still set in its original continuity). So rather than write words into the original creative team's mouths, Wings only sought to offer one possible solution to the Constructicons weirdness.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 August 2017 - 08:24 PM)

Too bad there weren't that many Wings stories. On the other hand, JG1 is still continuing with stories!

@  Spacewarp : (19 August 2017 - 06:10 PM)

Wings is obviously not cartoon continuity, but is heavily indebted to it.

@  Spacewarp : (19 August 2017 - 06:09 PM)

Basically what my original point was that continuities based on the original cartoon but not actually a part of it have used what Pennpenn originally said.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 August 2017 - 05:42 PM)

I get what you mean, but the wording is awful. It's not possible for Wings to "alter" or "destroy" something it was never part of, nor really interacted with.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 August 2017 - 05:40 PM)

It didn't "alter the existing continuity". It's an entirely new one that left the cartoon's continuity exactly as it ever was.

@  Bass X0 : (19 August 2017 - 05:24 PM)

didn't it take the original cartoon continuity but change parts of it to make a new continuity? i said i'd have preferred it stayed within the original cartoon continuity instead of altering the existing continuity. thats what i would have done. stories would have been written around the existing stories.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 August 2017 - 04:24 PM)

Wings can't "destroy it even further" when it was never the cartoon continuity in the first place.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 August 2017 - 03:57 PM)

The problem is that it isn't really fixable without redoing it from the ground up. Or going into insane retcons and rewrites, which A) is about the same thing, and B) is kinda Takara's thing.

@  Bass X0 : (19 August 2017 - 03:22 PM)

I find its better to fix a broken continuity than to destroy it even further.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 August 2017 - 03:06 PM)

The cartoon couldn't even stay consistent with the cartoon, so why worry when something else can't, either?

@  Bass X0 : (19 August 2017 - 02:53 PM)

I never connected with the whole "Wings is similar to the cartoon continuity but several things are different" thing they had going on. they should really have done it so that it stayed in continuity with the cartoon but focused on the off-screen events prior, during and after the cartoon stories.

@  unluckiness : (19 August 2017 - 10:42 AM)

Not like it's ever relevant anyway.

@  Pennpenn : (19 August 2017 - 10:00 AM)

I mean, it doesn't make sense otherwise, regardless of how official particular fiction is.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 August 2017 - 09:57 AM)

Wings is officially not really cartoon continuity, though.

@  Spacewarp : (19 August 2017 - 09:55 AM)

@Pennpenn: There is some fiction that does actually use the whole "they were rebuilt on Earth" explanation. The Fun Pub Wings stuff comes to mind.

@  Pennpenn : (19 August 2017 - 08:36 AM)

Oh absolutely

@  unluckiness : (19 August 2017 - 05:00 AM)

point is, the cartoon's continuity was hugged to begin with.

@  Pennpenn : (19 August 2017 - 03:53 AM)

My brain usually parses that as "Constructicons built him on contract or something so weren't evil then, and Megatron meant rebuilt in Heavy Metal War". Yeah it's a stretch, but whatever

Photo
- - - - -

Favorite neo-G1 line?

78 replies to this topic

Poll: Neo-G1

Which is your favorite?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4368 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:31 AM

Hard to say.  I think for me it's probably a tie between Reveal the Shield (Takara version) and Unite Warriors.  Titans return has some great looking figures, but I'm just not a fan of the headmaster gimmick.  

#42 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 35594 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

Classics, since I very much liked the angle that it felt like a continuation of G1 from after Action Masters, what with Bumblebee getting a new aerial backpack, Optimus having a vaguely AM-y deco with the yellow deco hits and blue going up the legs, and Megatron taking color cues from the Neutro Fusion Tank as necessitated by child safety laws, and Grimlock (while being pretty much terrible) was sort of a weird throwback to the Pretender version.  

Everything else felt more like a rehash than a continuation afterwards.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#43 Chip

Chip

The light which smashes lies!

• Citizen
  • 6510 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:01 PM

Animated!

#44 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 58884 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

Henkei! Henkei!  ;)

#45 Magnusblitz

Magnusblitz
  • Citizen
  • 3836 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

The thing about "repaint wars" wasn't so much about individual molds as it was the full team. It was like you couldn't get 2 without doubling up on at least one mold (heck, sometimes you couldn't avoid that with just one gestalt).

That was always going to be basically unavoidable with how the toyline works. ~50% of all mass retail releases are going to be redecoes. That is just a fact of life.

So let's say that we want all four of the '86 combiners to have unique limbs. If we look at the limbs, that's 16 moulds, which is two years worth of new moulds (Generations gets 16 Deluxes per year, with 7-9 brand-new moulds). So right off the bat, Combiner Wars would have to be six months longer than in reality, through to the end of 2016. Would Hasbro run a two-year toyline without a refresh nowadays? Probably not.

We also then have to increase the number of "made-up" redeco combiners relative to reality, because we now need to fill four waves with stuff that isn't the "Big Four".

Combiner Wars was mostly par for course in terms of mould reuse. But because the line encouraged the collector to purchase figures in complete sets, rather than picking and choosing the guys they liked, it meant people were simply more cognisant of the fact that half of everything was redecoes.

So are we just being spoiled with Titans Return, then? (Not being snarky, it's an honest question)

Because looking at the numbers, for CW I count 9 Deluxe molds and 4 Voyagers, which (only looking at the six waves of mass retail) got used for 24 Deluxe and 9 Voyager toys. Some of those molds got used four times. Whereas so far for TR we have (at least) 13 deluxe molds and five Voyager molds, for 18 and 7 toys respectively, with none of the molds being used more than twice so far.

Guess I'd need to look back at earlier lines for real comparison...

Edited by Magnusblitz, 16 February 2017 - 02:00 PM.

#46 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 7668 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:00 PM

So are we just being spoiled with Titans Return, then?

Because looking at the numbers, for CW I count 9 Deluxe molds and 4 Voyagers, which (only looking at the six waves of mass retail) got used for 24 Deluxe and 9 Voyager toys. Some of those molds got used four times. Whereas so far for TR we have (at least) 13 deluxe molds and five Voyager molds, for 18 and 7 toys respectively, with none of the molds being used more than twice so far.

TR stole from CW, effectively.

Things like "number of new moulds" are budgeted for on a per-year basis, rather per-line. Since TR started halfway through 2016, and since the new gimmick meant it couldn't reuse any earlier moulds, that meant it got the lion's share of 2016's new moulds, with the last six months of CW having to make do with very little.

Judging by the alternate Brawl head on the Rook mould, it seems like at some point the designers weren't sure if they'd be able to do any new CW Deluxe moulds in 2016...

EDIT: Here's a table of Generations new moulds by year to demonstrate:

GenMoulds.jpg

(I'm counting Chromedome and Highbrow as new moulds because they basically are.)

Broken down by year, everything stays relatively consistent.

Edited by Jalaguy, 16 February 2017 - 02:16 PM.

DAEH6hLUAAAgb9l.png

#47 sparkasylum

sparkasylum
  • Citizen
  • 999 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:07 PM

The thing about "repaint wars" wasn't so much about individual molds as it was the full team. It was like you couldn't get 2 without doubling up on at least one mold (heck, sometimes you couldn't avoid that with just one gestalt).

That was always going to be basically unavoidable with how the toyline works. ~50% of all mass retail releases are going to be redecoes. That is just a fact of life.

So let's say that we want all four of the '86 combiners to have unique limbs. If we look at the limbs, that's 16 moulds, which is two years worth of new moulds (Generations gets 16 Deluxes per year, with 7-9 brand-new moulds). So right off the bat, Combiner Wars would have to be six months longer than in reality, through to the end of 2016. Would Hasbro run a two-year toyline without a refresh nowadays? Probably not.

We also then have to increase the number of "made-up" redeco combiners relative to reality, because we now need to fill four waves with stuff that isn't the "Big Four".

Combiner Wars was mostly par for course in terms of mould reuse. But because the line encouraged the collector to purchase figures in complete sets, rather than picking and choosing the guys they liked, it meant people were simply more cognisant of the fact that half of everything was redecoes.

So are we just being spoiled with Titans Return, then? (Not being snarky, it's an honest question)

Guess I'd need to look back at earlier lines for real comparison...

Not spoiled by Titans Return, but a distorted view since it's the first half of the line. There will be more new molds at the start than at the end. Wave 4 deluxes have 2 repaints and 3 new molds and wave 5 deluxe is evidently 3 repaints/remolds.

However, I do think CW was a little heavier on repaints/remolds than other lines. (Wasn't part of the designers getting to do a line of combiners was pointing out to Hasbro higher-ups that they'd do more mold re-use?)

#48 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Strike with the hammer of justice!

• Supporter
  • 38191 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

I keep forgetting it's multiple lines and not just one continuous line with new packaging every year or so.

#49 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10547 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:51 PM

It's hard to overstate the excitement I had for Classics when it first came out. Most of those toys hold up exceptionally well, too. There were very few clunkers. 

As a "filler" line, it was also very easy to collect the whole set. At the time, it seemed like this was going to be a one-and-done special event, so the "extra" figures they added through exclusives -- Ultra Magnus vs Skywarp, Devastator, Soundwave re-issue -- all felt really special. And then the Botcon set was an incredible capstone to the line. How naive we were. 

When Universe happened, it turned Classics from a contained, collectible line into the beginning of this huge thing. Now, we're at a point where for many the goal is to get definitive updates to every G1 toy and character, but that wasn't what Classics set out to do. Indeed, the later lines feel less like complete entities and more just opportunities to check off a list of characters we want "Classics" versions of.

I remember being thrilled with Devastator and the Cybertron redecos from Botcon 2007. Nobody displays the original Classics line as a solitary entity anymore, and certainly nobody kept that Devastator around as part of their Classics display. But looking at it in isolation, separate from what came afterwards, it's a great line with a lot to love. 

#50 Exatron

Exatron
  • Citizen
  • 1196 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:11 PM

For me, CW is my favorite, and it's not even remotely close. I've always loved combiners. CW not only gave some great updates to some of my favorite TFs, but it also elevated the combining mechanic itself. Past combiners were always a great idea, but the execution was always a mixed bag. The CW combiner joints changed combiners from something that you fiddle with long enough to get it look decent before putting on display to something you could really have fun with.

Then, throw in new combiners, new members for old combiners, new Legends members, etc. and it just ended up being a really satisfying line that pushed all the right buttons for me. Even now, when I've mostly cleared everything pre-CW off my desk and am starting to pack up the first couple TR waves, I have 15 CW/UW combiners sitting out, have space reserved for two more yet to come, and am tempted to try to make room for the three currently packed away. I'm left wishing they'd gone ahead and released CW versions of the last few '84 Autobots (despite being more of a Decepticon fan and normally skipping a lot of the Autobots), and I really hope PotP really does bring in the rumored Predaking, along with hopefully more beast combiners too.

#51 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 1233 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:15 PM

First off, I feel that the poll really should be a mutli option thing, because I cannot say that I like one line above another.

I can't really compare lines because much of the figures I've collected from the classics/TFU/Generations/CW/TR have been great with a few missteps along the way, good example of this would be TFU Galvatron, that figure is a mess, looks good but clearly idiots at Hasbro said to shink it down from voyager to deluxe and look how well that turned out. The more resent Galvatron figure would been prefect if he didn't have the Headmaster gimmick or Titan master, whichever you prefer, me, its Headmaster. I think the best Deluxe I've seen in terms of engineering has to be War for Cybertron Optimus prime, complex yes but he turns into something pretty awesome. I think the figure I kind of regret getting would be Titan Class Metroplex, simply because he is FAR To large, thus I will not be getting his upcoming rival or the Fortress Maximus figure, thou Scamper that comes with Metroplex is a lot more fun to play with. The current run of the scout sized figures (or legends as they go by today) are some of the best figures I've gotten and I'm pretty pleased with. The thing with Combiner Wars that kind of surprised me was the fact Hasbro didn't use this line as an excuse to rerelease older combiners such as RID Build team and Team bullet train, their pretty good figures.

The seeker deluxe mould, is ok and a poduct of the time of release, seeing the Classics line was meant to be just a one off line to fill in the space between the end of Cybertron and the debut of the first movie line and I expect Hasbro didn't expect that to be as popluar as it was, the classics line was the line where I really started collecting TFs in serious manner and since then I've gotten loads of TFs in various sizes and colours. The resent leader class seekers I've passed on because, first off, their just retools of Jetfire/Skyfire and secondly I rather see the seekers as Voyager figures so that they fit in nicely with other figures in my collection. At the mo, there not really many figures that exicte me anymore, it might because my love of TF is waning but then again I've not watched a single ep of this current RID show, the animation from the trailer simply put me off along with the fact they brand it a sequel to Prime and I expect a sequel to be done in the same kind of animation style as Prime or superior animation not inferior animation, thus the only TF stuff I watch of late is main stop motion from Youtube and there are some great videos out there that put Bay's films to shame (solely my view).

Anyway, going back to the main subject, I really like a lot of the figures from the classics style lines, they have more heart in them than most of the movie figures do, because every figure has a bit of charm about them that make them stand out, thou I think some of the best would be those with light piping, it really gives life to the figures, while the actual movie figures, from what I've gotten, don't really have the same kind of charm about them, sure I have a few in my collection but I have focused more on the Generations/classics/TFU lines than the movie ones, of course I have begun sharing my love of TF figures a bit with my young nephew and I let him play with some of the legends figures but never my third party ones, he working on mastering the transformations of some of those figures but he only 4 so it takes time.

As for the future, I don't really know, I'm thinking of getting Overlord and Skyshadow leader class figures, I hope Skyshadow get retooled into Thunderwing, I hope to see some other combiners from G1 in the future and maybe another Optimus prime who compatable with CW figures, Hasbro I think hit the right mark more or less with CW combining means, its simple yet effective, thou I would like to see maybe a extra panel or something that hides the combining port on the legs of the combined mode, so they don't come out so easily unless you want them to come out. I also would like to see a new seeker mould but as voyager class, its high time Starscream and company took their rightful place in the size scale.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#52 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Citizen
  • 12458 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:55 PM

I have trouble picking an overall winner too, but that's kind of expected when the thread is about picking a favorite, which by definition is "preferred before all others".

I suppose one could note that this is the perfect question to ask whenever fans whine about Hasbro "not listening." They haven't just been listening, but their responses have taken the form of so many awesome iterations of expression that it's nigh-impossible to pick the best one.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#53 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 37231 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

As much as I love Combiner Wars (Titans Returns is closely after that), I have to give it to Classics. Nothing gave me that level of excitement and joy as that line did when it started.

This is pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#54 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 35594 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

I'd love for Generations to pick up the Action Masters ethos of the 60/40 new characters/old characters split.  Not gonna happen, but it'd hit that G1 nostalgia point for me better than just infinite versions of dudes I already have, and give a sense of an outwardly expanding G1 universe that hasn't really been around for quite some time.

#55 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 1661 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:30 AM

I'd love for Generations to pick up the Action Masters ethos of the 60/40 new characters/old characters split.  Not gonna happen, but it'd hit that G1 nostalgia point for me better than just infinite versions of dudes I already have, and give a sense of an outwardly expanding G1 universe that hasn't really been around for quite some time.

In theory, I'd like that, too, but in practice, it needs to be made up of characters I know and enjoy for me to want any of the new faces. This is why Generations does so well, I think. I remember during the post-ROTF days, when original characters like Terradive and Tomahawk were coming out, and people were raving about what great figures they were, and my gut reaction was "I don't know or care about who they are." Meanwhile, slap a Springer head and deco on Tomahawk, and I'm there.

So, I guess if they were going to add more non-G1 releases, they'd have to be drawn from or added to the IDW comics, or some other media, and be well-written to get me interested.

So, basically what Thrilling 30 did.

#56 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 11937 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:35 AM

UNLIKE

#57 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 35594 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:17 PM

Actual bios would go a long way to help that.  As in, like, more than two sentences just telling me what awesome stuff whatever guy does instead of who he is.  I know that's, like, anathema these days, but in a franchise supposedly driven by characters, it's good to have, um, character.

#58 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 1307 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:04 PM

Actual bios would go a long way to help that.  As in, like, more than two sentences just telling me what awesome stuff whatever guy does instead of who he is.  I know that's, like, anathema these days, but in a franchise supposedly driven by characters, it's good to have, um, character.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Including bios on the pack-in comics was one of the best things in the Combiner Wars series. We just needed more of them.

#59 CEEFAX

CEEFAX

Thoughtless Maximus

• Supporter
  • 799 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:32 AM

Well, QT/QTF gave us my favourite seeker mould, my favourite Ironhide/Ratchet mould, one of my favourite Optimus Prime moulds, and pretty much every release makes me smile like a goon; so I'm going to have to side with these tiny bundles of love:

IMG_0238.JPG

#60 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 35594 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

I do love that Ironhide and his angry little face.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users