Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Paladin : (22 May 2017 - 11:43 AM)

where's GALVATRON in MP form dammit?! he didn't even get in for the anniversary year...

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 May 2017 - 11:35 AM)

I'm still waiting on the rest of the Dinobots.

@  Robowang : (22 May 2017 - 11:24 AM)

The Decepticon MP cassettes are probably my favorite MP figures so far. Fantastic little dudes.

@  Bass X0 : (22 May 2017 - 11:23 AM)

I want a Masterpiece Blaster if only because I'm fond of the Masterpiece cassettes and want Takara to make more. They should also do Slugfest and Overkill since they were in the cartoon too, even if it was only very briefly.

@  Robowang : (22 May 2017 - 11:21 AM)

I just want the Chip figure. The only Autobot cars I have or want are G2 Sideswipe and Hot Rod.

@  Paladin : (22 May 2017 - 11:14 AM)

another Autobot car. "yaaaaaay."

@  Benbot : (22 May 2017 - 11:02 AM)

I haven't been this excited about a new MP since the Datsuns! He looks amazing

@  Robowang : (22 May 2017 - 11:01 AM)

I love the little human figures with the MP line. Is it just young Spike, Future Spike, and Daniel so far?

@  Robowang : (22 May 2017 - 11:00 AM)

And it comes with Chip Chase! I will order just for that! Holy crap!

@  Bass X0 : (22 May 2017 - 10:55 AM)

Whoo! Masterpiece Sunstreaker!

@  Anonymous X : (22 May 2017 - 10:40 AM)

Less said about the Sinclair Microdrive, the better...

@  Anonymous X : (22 May 2017 - 10:23 AM)

I had two ZX Spectrum games on cartridge. Played 'em loads as it beat having to wait ten minutes for unreliable tape loading...

@  Rycochet : (22 May 2017 - 09:25 AM)

Super Bootspork!

@  Bass X0 : (22 May 2017 - 08:45 AM)

I remember doing the same for my ZX Spectrum.

@  DeltaSeeker : (22 May 2017 - 08:40 AM)

I remember loading games on my Vic20 from an audio tape.

@  Paladin : (22 May 2017 - 08:37 AM)

anyone remember "Chex Quest?"

@  Robowang : (22 May 2017 - 07:13 AM)

I never played those. I had, like, two-color bootleg files of Donkey Kong and stuff like that with 50 games on a disk.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2017 - 07:11 AM)

not pure text games, but you still had to use text input to do stuff. "PICK UP flask", etc

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2017 - 07:05 AM)

I think those were the old King's Quest/Space Quest ones

@  Robowang : (22 May 2017 - 07:02 AM)

I remember floppy disk games! Never gamed enough to own one that was more than a disk, though.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2017 - 07:01 AM)

I remember booting things from DOS, and games that were like 10 floppy disks big.

@  Robowang : (22 May 2017 - 06:57 AM)

*dies*

@  Robowang : (22 May 2017 - 06:57 AM)

Oh man, the days of Realplayer and AIM and man, I can't believe how long ago that was.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 May 2017 - 01:00 AM)

ugh, RealMedia was pretty awful. RealPlayer was so bloated and buggy, I tried to avoid it

@  siccoyote : (22 May 2017 - 12:17 AM)

I remember downloading Realmedia episodes of Beast Wars Season 3, days after they were shown in Americ, but the quality was terrible and the guy who did it wasted half of a stereo audio track because he recorded it in mono. Took many hours to download

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 May 2017 - 09:55 PM)

Yeah, I remember those days. I had a bunch of Quicktime clips from Beasties/Beast Wars and Reboot, most of which I had to leave the computer on overnight to get, lol

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 May 2017 - 09:49 PM)

I remember when it took 3 hours to download a 240p, 2.5 minute movie trailer

@  MEDdMI : (21 May 2017 - 09:02 PM)

and there weren't any rocks yet, they were all space dust

@  MEDdMI : (21 May 2017 - 09:02 PM)

I remember when there was no internet

@  Telly : (21 May 2017 - 08:55 PM)

dont remember what it was called, but i had an internet answering machine software back in the day. turn it on when i was online and i wouldnt miss a call. would leave it off if i didnt want to be bothered though lol

@  Noideaforaname : (21 May 2017 - 08:46 PM)

Remember when it was either the phone OR internet? Remember when photos had to be developed? And if someone decided to take pictures of their eye you couldn't tell until you got the film back?

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 May 2017 - 06:02 PM)

You're making us old farts feel old!

@  Foffy : (21 May 2017 - 05:20 PM)

Not me! I couldn't have known that in 1991! I wasn't even born yet!

@  Bass X0 : (21 May 2017 - 01:03 PM)

You only just realised? Everybody else has known that since 1991.

@  unluckiness : (21 May 2017 - 10:34 AM)

Holy jeez, Guile's theme does go with anything.

@  Nevermore : (20 May 2017 - 04:34 AM)

The "humans as processors" bit was also used in season 2 of Dollhouse.

@  Pennpenn : (20 May 2017 - 04:27 AM)

I just remembered, I wonder if the scene in Thor 2 with the kids showing the abandoned building with glitchy reality was inspired by the Animatrix short that had the same concept (but could handle it more interestingly)

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 May 2017 - 03:59 AM)

That is nonsense. Also, some men in black suits and sunglasses will be arriving at your doorstep shortly. Please cooperate and it will go much easier for you.

@  Whirl Maximus : (20 May 2017 - 03:42 AM)

It's not bull, the elite are using the 90% through wifi for their Androcide agenda. Learn the undisprovable truth.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 May 2017 - 03:26 AM)

I think there was an early draft where the machines were using humans as processors with the whole "only use 10% of their brains" bull.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 May 2017 - 11:35 PM)

Wasn't there an early draft where they weren't using humans for that?

@  Pennpenn : (19 May 2017 - 10:26 PM)

Yeah, makes the Matrix seem more like a nature reserve than a source of power, and I get the feeling the whole "humans as a source of power" was done pretty much to justify the machines keeping humans around at all without making the machines seem sympathetic.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2017 - 10:23 PM)

But after watching The Second Renaissance, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the machines still felt some lingering moral imperative to allow the human survivors of the war some kind of life rather than committing genocide. They did everything in their power to avoid the war in the first place

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2017 - 10:21 PM)

It seems like reverting to solar power would be infinitely preferable to having to maintain The Matrix and everyone hooked into it, and all the associated hardware

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2017 - 10:18 PM)

Although I think I remember hearing somewhere that the "clouds" darkening the sky are actually swarms of constantly-muliplying nanomachines? No idea if that's canon or not, but if it is it seems like that'd be something the machines themselves could figure out how to undo if they really wanted to

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2017 - 10:16 PM)

I dunno, for all their technical achievements those humans seemed just as shortsighted as in the present. And they were desperate by the time that was done, so it wouldn't surprise me if they just thought "ah, we'll figure out how to undo it later"

@  Pennpenn : (19 May 2017 - 10:00 PM)

Also gotta wonder if the humans had some idea of how they were going to fix the sky, presuming they won out, because otherwise they were basically commiting suicide out of spite and the Matrix would be the only reason humanity is still alive.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2017 - 09:07 PM)

One of the first things I thought myself after my first time through it

@  Pennpenn : (19 May 2017 - 08:58 PM)

Every time I watch "The Second Renaissance" I get the feeling I'd probably end up getting shot for being a machine sympathizer.

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2017 - 10:36 PM)

Yeah, Ghostbusters. Specifically the episode where they check out the live action Hollywood "adaptation."

Photo
- - - - -

Favorite neo-G1 line?

78 replies to this topic

Poll: Neo-G1

Which is your favorite?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Supporter
  • 3196 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:25 AM

Man, I totally forgot about Straxus. K, changing my vote. Thanks, thread!

#22 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 7102 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:00 AM

While the 'all G1, all the time' character selection is tiresome, had to give it to the 'Prime Wars' era for daring to make homage toys with fun, playable gimmicks.

Designed-in interactions between toys are my jam, and in Titans Return, any given pair of figures (other than two Legends) has at least one interactive play feature, and possibly more! Any future Generations lines that don't involve tiny people who can stand on and sit in stuff will automatically be a disappointment.

Edited by Jalaguy, 16 February 2017 - 03:40 AM.

DAEH6hLUAAAgb9l.png

#23 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

WTCHOP?!!!

• Retired Staff
  • 23533 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:52 AM

I object to the poll. War for Cybertron is not listed along with War for Cybertron, which are both separate from all other CHUG figures as part of the aligned continuity.

Meanwhile, the rest of the "Thrilling 30" series of figures is planted squarely in the IDW-verse.

That said, I'm going with Prime Wars Trilogy (a.k.a. Combiner Wars/Titans Return/Power of the Primes).

It gave me my two favorite G1 "gimmicks" (Combiners and Headmasters) while unceremoniously dumping the ones that resonated with me the least (Targetmasters and Powermasters).

VOTE FOR SNAPDRAGON: GETTING KRUNK SINCE 1987!

card-snapdragon.jpg

#24 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 1226 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:05 AM

The question's a tough one.

If it was just "which is the best line?" It would be easy, with the Prime Wars trilogy. But favourite?

I have to go with Classics, if for no other reason than nostalgia. It was the time I started getting back into Transformers. And had designs like voyager Optimus, Jetfire, and Megatron, or deluxe Bee, Ramjet, and Mirage.

All of which are still amazing moulds, even today.

And then there's the packaging. The bright red backgrounds, with the metallic framing. And the "flip for robot mode" section on the front was a great idea.

Oh, and it brought back rubsigns.

#25 Walky

Walky

STRONG GRUDGE

• Citizen
  • 36476 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:38 AM

Universe (2008) had Ratchet, Ravage, Dinobot, AND Hot Shot.

....i'm not sure any of those are on anybody's favorite toys list, though

#26 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 35533 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:54 AM

I object to the poll. War for Cybertron is not listed along with War for Cybertron, which are both separate from all other CHUG figures as part of the aligned continuity.

Meanwhile, the rest of the "Thrilling 30" series of figures is planted squarely in the IDW-verse.

It's about eras, aesthetics, and brands, not "continuity families" or whatever. It becomes kinda obvious even from a fiction-centric perspective when you consider FoC and Armada Starscream; they're both characters who are not IDW Starscream, who got Gens toys in this block that got repurposed into IDW Starscream. Rattrap and Waspinator got a new look in IDW to effectively not match the new toys, effectively leaving them to the Beast Wars characters.

The big difference with the FoC guys was that they weren't redesigned into Earth-based alt modes and stayed quite slavish to their fictional designs ... which is also true of Armada Starscream. I could see the point argued on the beasts, who were subtly redesigned, but much, much more subtly than most of the IDW-originating guys. 

Again ... T30 was the GenerationSest. There's nothing special about the FoC guys except that there were a lot of them and they weren't G1. Until they were, since the non-combiners were all repurposed into IDW anyway.

You could argue that the Gens guys sold under Movie brands were in a similar position, but ... you'd be making a silly argument, because the aesthetic lines were very distinct, there were only two of them to sort out, etc.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 16 February 2017 - 05:58 AM.

lookup.jpg?dl=0

#27 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 6314 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:05 AM

Diaclone Reboot.

In need of Movie Arcee's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

#28 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

Do it, FP

• Citizen
  • 9954 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:10 AM

I personally include the WFC/FoC molds as neo-G1 toys for reasons both intuitive (look at them!) and official (IDW adopting a great number of their designs). Plus, in Generations 2010 they make up a pretty small percentage of the line (whereas neo-G1 toys quickly took over RtS) and pre-T30 FoC toys were the "Classics" of that time period.

#29 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

WTCHOP?!!!

• Retired Staff
  • 23533 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:37 AM

P.S. Where is Titanium?

card-snapdragon.jpg

#30 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

WTCHOP?!!!

• Retired Staff
  • 23533 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:55 AM

Diaclone Reboot.

*slow clap*

card-snapdragon.jpg

#31 sparkasylum

sparkasylum
  • Citizen
  • 989 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:55 AM

I really enjoyed Universe 1.0, but not sure it counts as much as a "Neo-G1" line.

Combiner Wars is my favorite. Even if there were some shortcoming, full combiner teams with articulation and scrambling, plus some bonuses like Legends add-ons... it's what I personally wanted.

I think it's interesting to think of "trimming the fat" from CW and look at what the line would look like if you used some CW & some UW. The excess repaints/remolds and substitute characters could be gone if someone wanted a "G1"-focused CW collection and had just:

-Devastator

-Superion (sans Alpha Bravo, with Slingshot & Powerglide)

-Menasor (sans Off Road, with Wildrider & Blackjack)

-Defensor (sans Rook, with deluxe Groove)

-UW Bruticus (+ CW/Japanese Legends Shockwave)

-UW Computron

-Legends Bombshell

-Leader Ultra Magnus

-Leader Megatron

With that restricted line up(2 Leaders, 11 voyagers, 20 deluxes, 4 Legends) there are:

-An entire unique Titan mold of 6 "voyagers"

-2 unique leader molds

-4 unique legends molds

-No repainted voyager torsos, but 3 unique molds and 2 heavy remolds

-11 unique deluxe molds, 5 heavy remolds, 2 minor remolds(Vortex, Afterburner), and 2 repaints with new heads(Slinsghot & Wildrider), Plus you could still add in Rook, one of the best CW deluxe molds as a 6th heavy remold.

Adding in CW Liokaiser would make another unique voyager torso but also 4 deluxe repaints with new heads.

That is throwing out some of the newer/non-G1 stuff I know some people love, but you could do it around another way too. Just trying to illustrate one does not have to be forced to be completist and then if so, a "cream of the crop" of Combiner Wars could be assembled and it'd minimize some of the complaints of mold re-use and limb similarity but this restricted collection would still be quite a hefty one.

#32 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

• Staff
  • 7102 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:25 AM

The "Repaint Wars" mentality has always annoyed me.

For the entirety of 2015, the proportion of new moulds was entirely average (and then you had the reshells on top, which we never had before). And the last six months were only redeco-heavy because Titans Return unavoidably had to take up most of 2016's allowance for new moulds.

Of course, if you start counting boxsets and stuff, then you've got lots more mould reuse, but those were an extra thing - it's not like we ever got multiple $100 boxsets full of new moulds in the past.

Edited by Jalaguy, 16 February 2017 - 10:15 AM.

DAEH6hLUAAAgb9l.png

#33 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 24385 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

P.S. Where is Titanium?

Top of the column immediately following the end of the lanthanides and actinides.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#34 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Noideaforamembertitleeither

• Citizen
  • 626 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

The thing about "repaint wars" wasn't so much about individual molds as it was the full team. It was like you couldn't get 2 without doubling up on at least one mold (heck, sometimes you couldn't avoid that with just one gestalt). And so many of them were just cars and jets, who got reshelled into MORE cars and jets. Things got real dull real fast.

And the fiction, my god the fiction. EVERYBODY wanted to end their story with "and then they became combiners." Ugh

#35 sparkasylum

sparkasylum
  • Citizen
  • 989 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

The thing about "repaint wars" wasn't so much about individual molds as it was the full team. It was like you couldn't get 2 without doubling up on at least one mold (heck, sometimes you couldn't avoid that with just one gestalt). And so many of them were just cars and jets, who got reshelled into MORE cars and jets. Things got real dull real fast.

But, look at that lineup I proposed. There are some re-uses sure, but when you don't bother with 2 teams of Autobot car limbs, it gets much better. There are actually only 6 cars and 4 jets(and a "space jet") among the 20 deluxe limbs.

#36 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 35533 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

Yeah, the necessities of the gimmick meant that Deluxes tended to end up with one of a few general silhouettes, apart from the actual mold reuse, which managed to make it look a lot worse than it actually was. And necessary or not, ending with a bunch of repaints when they ran out of new molds didn't make things look better. 

But, look at that lineup I proposed. There are some re-uses sure, but when you don't bother with 2 teams of Autobot car limbs, it gets much better. There are actually only 6 cars and 4 jets(and a "space jet") among the 20 deluxe limbs.

I'm just glad you added Rook back in in the footnote. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 16 February 2017 - 09:50 AM.

lookup.jpg?dl=0

#37 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 1562 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

All of these lines were pretty good, but on the balance, I've got to go with Thrilling 30. I feel like it really hit the "sweet spot" in terms of dealing with their reduced budget, they created sculpts that radiated personality, the eclectic character selection was great, the visual tie-ins to IDW at a time when it was (and still is) some of the best TF fiction were also appreciated. Plus, four of my favorite figures ever are from this line (Springer, Arcee, Swerve, Armada Starscream) and they're all my favorites because of their expressive sculpts and solid, playable construction.

FoC isn't really my favorite (So I'm a bit miffed it was lumped in with T30) but it was one of the few times I ever went completist on anything, collecting all of the data discs and their masters. I still consider them to be nifty as a set, better-scaled to my collection than the TR stuff, and I firmly maintain that if for some reason they ever made more of them, I'd grab them. Plus, personally, FoC and T30 together are the first, and so far only time, I was able to grab a complete set of the original three seekers.

#38 Dracula

Dracula

Trade Rat

• Citizen
  • 3166 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:10 AM

My thoughts

Universe - As others have said...not really a Neo-G1 line. The hidden backstory was pretty cool, but I pretty much ignored this line. What was on the shelf at the same time? Armada? Energon? Those were the figures I was collecting.

Alternators - I remember one of the most exciting moments in fandom for me in those days was seeing the first test shots for Masterpiece Prime and Alt Smokescreen. I ended up owning just a few Alternators, but I really enjoyed the storyline that came with the Binaltech line.

Classics - I obsessed constantly over that original lineup of six figures, and it was one of the first waves of TF toys that I bought in its entirety, all at once. This was also the first TF line that I collected 100%, down to the Minicons and clunky stuff like the Ultimate Battle set. Stuff like Jetfire's helmet really blew my mind at the time.

Universe (2008) - Easily the worst. Fail after fail with stuff like Galvatron, Ironhide, Octane...I didn't like having just one of the '86 Combiner guys, and I didn't even really like some of the better-received molds of the line like the Lambo twins or the Datsuns. The Beast Wars homage figures were awful. The only toy I kept from this line was Cyclonus, and even he has a replacement on my shelves.

Generations (2010/RtS) - Maybe the best for sheer choice of characters. Lots of unusual stuff coming out, with a mixture of post-movie guys that could possibly fit into a G1 shelf, some late-G1 dudes like Thunderwing, and others that had never gotten a toy before (Darkmount). RtS ramped it up even more with wins like Wreck-Gar, Jazz, and Tracks. PLUS: this was the first of these lines that had a line-wide play pattern in the c-joint accessories. And that was just a taste.

Generations (FoC/T30) - This was around the time I started reading IDW again, and this was also the time that Hasbro started releasing more and more figures that were tied into the IDW designs, so it felt right. Lots of great stuff from this range, including an update to my boy Skids (and I do love that figure). We got our first Titan. And Springer. And Arcee. And some great Beast Wars homages. My main complaint about this time was the lack of interaction between figures - they all felt sorta randomly selected, and even Metroplex felt like he was made for a different toyline. But...

Combiner Wars - With this I finally felt like I was collecting a toyline. What an awesome time to be a fan. Any complaint that could be said about CW was obliterated by how much fun I was having with the figures. This line hit the perfect sweet spot of detail and complexity. I loved having a few new characters tossed into the old combiners. Absolutely no complaints.

Titans Return - And just when I thought it couldn't get any better. Not only does the play pattern speak soothing words directly into my brain, but most of these characters are perfect updates to G1 toys that I've never had the chance to play with, so it's like getting better versions of childhood grails. Fort Max is a bit of a mixed bag but having a base for the little dudes makes up for it. There's some flaws like QC issues and unpainted Titan Masters, but none has been enough to dampen my enthusiasm. Best line ever. Period.

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#39 Robowang

Robowang

Nard Extractor

• Supporter
  • 3080 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:14 AM

I love Universe 1.0 enough to have a complete set, which is a ridiculous amount of Prowls; but I can't justify counting it in this poll. Nothing about it says Neo-G1 to me, regardless of a few repaints in the line. 

bks_zps1odc4m2q.jpg

NEEDS: Beast Wars II DRILLNUTS (seriously)

My Wants List

Robowang's eBay Store - lots of TFs
My feedback

#40 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

• Staff
  • 7102 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

The thing about "repaint wars" wasn't so much about individual molds as it was the full team. It was like you couldn't get 2 without doubling up on at least one mold (heck, sometimes you couldn't avoid that with just one gestalt).

That was always going to be basically unavoidable with how the toyline works. ~50% of all mass retail releases are going to be redecoes. That is just a fact of life.

So let's say that we want all four of the '86 combiners to have unique moulds. If we look at the limbs, that's 16 moulds, which is two years worth of new moulds (Generations gets 16 Deluxes per year, with 7-9 brand-new moulds). So right off the bat, Combiner Wars would have to be six months longer than in reality, through to the end of 2016. Would Hasbro run a two-year toyline without a refresh nowadays? Probably not.

We also then have to increase the number of "made-up" redeco combiners relative to reality, because we now need to fill four waves with stuff that isn't the "Big Four".

Combiner Wars was mostly par for course in terms of mould reuse. But because the line encouraged the collector to purchase figures in complete sets, rather than picking and choosing the guys they liked, it meant people were simply more cognisant of the fact that half of everything was redecoes.

Edited by Jalaguy, 14 March 2017 - 11:38 AM.

DAEH6hLUAAAgb9l.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users