Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Telly : (27 February 2017 - 01:10 AM)

i didnt. not until '83 anyway :thumbsup

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 01:00 AM)

Yeah, that was a hard one to take. So many nerds from '77 on must've grown up having a crush on her

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:34 AM)

I mean, I knew it was coming, but just hearing Carrie say "May the Force be with you" hurt :(

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:32 AM)

They always save the saddest deaths for last in the "in memoriam" sequence.

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 12:30 AM)

I am glad they made the right choice with Best Animated, even if it was a tough call this year.

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 12:28 AM)

I remember him from the old days on Breaker High airing on YTV

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 12:28 AM)

Also, Ryan Gosling. Ugh, go #### yourself Ryan Gosling, with your perfect bone structure

@  NotVeryKnightly : (27 February 2017 - 12:26 AM)

Since there's way more nominees than winners in every category that's not exactly unusual.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:25 AM)

Even then, I think it lost more nominations than it won.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:24 AM)

I think the reason La La Land won so many awards is because it was basically Hollywood stroking its own ego

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 12:20 AM)

Kinda glad. I like Emma Stone, but for whatever reason I can't stand that movie. I'm surprised it didn't win though, as it was typical Oscar bait

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:19 AM)

This is just goddamn surreal.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:19 AM)

Holy shit. It had the second-most nominations of any movie, and La La Land just lost Best Picture.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:11 AM)

"Look where I've been, I make everything happen! Look at that mean Mini Maui just tikkity tappin'! Ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HEY!"

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:10 AM)

Yeah, same. "You're Welcome" is honestly the best song in the movie.

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 12:06 AM)

I liked the Moana song, though personally I enjoyed You're Welcome a little bit more because of the humor.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:04 AM)

Ah, well. As much as him not getting an Oscar hurts, Lin-Manuel has a shitload of awards already, so missing out on one isn't too bad. The guy managed to hit the jackpot with the Tonys for Hamilton and win a Grammy for it and get an Emmy... Somewhere. Don't know where he got the Emmy.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:02 AM)

@NVK: I realize that, but I still don't like that a terrible Zak Snyder film managed to even get an award.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:00 AM)

Look, I can understand The Force Awakens not getting a single award. Hell, I can even understand why Transformers lost to The Golden Compass.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (27 February 2017 - 12:00 AM)

But Moana and Suicide Squad weren't nominated for the same things.

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 February 2017 - 11:47 PM)

We officially live in a world where a film involving Zak Snyder is apparently more deserving of an award than Lin-Manuel Miranda.

@  TM2-Megatron : (26 February 2017 - 10:58 PM)

I was pretty shocked Star Trek Beyond lost out in Best Makeup to Suicide Squad. Killer Croc looked good, but Trek had a lot of good alien makeup

@  Maruten : (26 February 2017 - 10:36 PM)

I was surprised to see that everyone's so into La La Land. On paper it seems right up my alley, but I thought it was pretty... meh.

@  ▲ndrusi : (26 February 2017 - 09:38 PM)

I read that as EPCOT status

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 February 2017 - 09:26 PM)

I have a sinking feeling La La Land is going to win Best Song and keep Lin-Manuel Miranda from achieving EGOT status.

@  Echowarrior : (26 February 2017 - 07:12 PM)

Our Hydra is better than Marvel's Hydra. Just saying.

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 February 2017 - 07:05 PM)

ALL HAIL THE MAGIC CONCH!

@  TriBlurr : (26 February 2017 - 07:03 PM)

Hail Hydra!

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 February 2017 - 06:22 PM)

Don't we still have Hydra?

@  Verno : (26 February 2017 - 06:10 PM)

There was always the chance we had some Japanese members on the board.

@  Confuzor : (26 February 2017 - 06:01 PM)

I got my MP Primal pretty quickly, but I haven't sent the payment confirmation on my Cheetor yet

@  Paladin : (26 February 2017 - 05:32 PM)

he's been out what, 3 days? Most shipping methods aren't THAT fast...

@  Verno : (26 February 2017 - 04:52 PM)

Does anyone have MP Cheetor in hand yet?

@  Confuzor : (26 February 2017 - 03:11 PM)

Y'all need more Rocko's Modern Life

@  Noideaforaname : (26 February 2017 - 11:04 AM)

I remember watching Doug all the time as a kid, but I watch it now and I don't at all see the appeal. *shrug* On the plus side, it added the word "nematode" to my vocabulary.

@  Paladin : (26 February 2017 - 10:47 AM)

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/835877002192306176 ...game over, man. :(

@  unluckiness : (26 February 2017 - 09:25 AM)

better than the current ones at least

@  Rycochet : (26 February 2017 - 09:08 AM)

90s Nicktoons were awful.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 08:16 AM)

Yeah, I'd get really pumped to watch it and the other Nicktoons.

@  lastmaximal : (26 February 2017 - 08:04 AM)

You digdug?

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 07:40 AM)

Hate watching stuff like that.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 07:40 AM)

Also, I digged Doug. Mostly for the ancillary characters, though. Doug himself is one of those characters who gets into situations that make YOU feel embarrassd. Like Fred Savage on The Wonder Years.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 07:39 AM)

@PlutoniumBoss *Pinwheel fistbump*

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 07:38 AM)

I remember Today's Special. The Toronto part was something of a revelation from my wife and her family when I came here.

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 February 2017 - 02:34 AM)

In hindsight, I'm pretty sure Miss Frizzle was a Time Lord.

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 February 2017 - 02:34 AM)

I got into science because of Magic School Bus.

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 February 2017 - 11:25 PM)

Anyone else remember Puttnam's Prairie Emporium? Not sure if it aired outside Canada

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 February 2017 - 11:21 PM)

Today's Special was a favourite of mine. Some of it was actually filmed at a department store here in Toronto

@  PlutoniumBoss : (25 February 2017 - 10:34 PM)

Eureka! and Start Here were awesome too.

@  The Doctor Who : (25 February 2017 - 09:59 PM)

I remember watching Newton's Apple on PBS. That's where I learned about thermal insulation layers and why things change temperature faster when you blow on them.

Photo
- - - - -

Favorite neo-G1 line?

78 replies to this topic

Poll: Neo-G1

Which is your favorite?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

Do it, FP

• Citizen
  • 9916 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:34 PM

Some of the talk in the TR thread got me thinking about this. I myself really enjoy the current Prime Wars trilogy toys, but I also like that we've now had several different iterations of "G1 but new" toylines.

I've included Alternators, which I don't think will be controversial, but I've also included Universe 1.0 since one of its big angles was Post-G1 Molds Redecoed As G1 Characters in an age without on-screen G1 media.

#2 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 57229 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:37 PM

As much as I love Combiner Wars (Titans Returns is closely after that), I have to give it to Classics. Nothing gave me that level of excitement and joy as that line did when it started.

#3 Maruten

Maruten
  • Supporter
  • 3299 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

Admittedly, half of those lines were before my time (well... between my times) but for my money nothing comes close to the perfect fun of Titans Return.

76.jpg

#4 unitremover

unitremover
  • Citizen
  • 228 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:57 PM

I wasn't around for Reveal the Shield/Thrilling 30/most of Combiner Wars but Classics is definitely my favorite. It had a focus and a novelty that, by definition, the later ones just couldn't have, plus by virtue of being a "filler" line, it was just really short and sweet.  Plus most of the toys actually update the character designs in a cool, modern way instead of just trying to be the G1 toy with maybe a more modern vehicle mode like some of the later ones can be. Plus personally speaking, that was the first line I had the money to buy on my own and that was really exciting.

There's not a straight up bad toy in that entire line. Some are definitely better than others, but there aren't any total clunkers I don't think.

#5 LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce

(((Prime)))

• Apprentice Staff
  • 1113 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

CW/TR, easily.

UkCs6TT.png

What a relief it would be to end this all, how easy to fly the white flag and give up. But would I run today, just to die another day? Give up now, and every fight has been in vain. Stand up and fight!

Basically a Podcast Network

#6 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Function: Wet Blanket

• Supporter
  • 32939 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:08 PM

Gens FoC-T30. Was it a complete and cohesive line worthy of a "best" title? Probably not. Did it include several of the best Transformers figures literally ever made? Yes. Rattrap, Rhinox, and Springer are the toys I'd hang onto if I had to get rid of everything else. I loved the IDW designs for the care that went into reimagining these reimagined G1 guys into G1ish alt modes and making everything work nonetheless, which started (minus IDW influence) in Universe 2.0 but hit its peak in T30. 

I'm not a completionist, I've never* had that kind of funding. I like good individual toys more than I like collections. T30 was a lot of good individual toys.

* Well, I'm character-complete for Animated less Ironhide and Cliffjumper, but.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 15 February 2017 - 07:10 PM.

lookup.jpg

#7 ShadowMan024

ShadowMan024

The Twentiest... Whatever that means.

• Citizen
  • 20391 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

Generations 2010/Reveal the Shield. They still had ROTF's higher budget for plastic, so things could be more intricate, but most of the figures (not all) were more intuitive than Universe 2.0.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

There are days when the wind doesn't feel like wind so much as it's a swarm of invisible wraiths shrieking and tearing and clawing at everything.

#8 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Function: Wet Blanket

• Supporter
  • 32939 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:52 PM

On the one hand, I feel like the next round of Gens was a polished version of what RtS was doing. On the other hand ... that's all it was; FoC / T30 didn't actually introduce anything new into that equation, just refined it. 

lookup.jpg

#9 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 425 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

While I have loved them all, especially at the times each came out (the next iteration would pretty much one-up the previous for me, mostly because I would have something new to look forward to), but TR has really been one of my favorites.  Head/Target/Powermasters were my absolute favorite gimmick, so this whole line of Titan Masters has really been fun to collect and fiddle with. 

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#10 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 24108 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

Energon.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#11 tec

tec

Crossblades

• Supporter
  • 25000 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

Im sorry but my favorite year was 1987 and so CW/TR has pushed all the 87 buttons just right

But the Arcee/Scoop lineup is a close second

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

TRY1SIG1_zpseutucm1m.jpg

#12 Maruten

Maruten
  • Supporter
  • 3299 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

I should also say - combining lumping together CW and TR doesn't really work for me; PWT or not, CW sort of feels like a distant bad dream once TR comes along. It started strong but ran itself into the ground and even at its best it wasn't a patch on Titans Return.

Also Copper said a lot of wise stuff about the T30 era.

76.jpg

#13 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

Do it, FP

• Citizen
  • 9916 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:42 PM

Energon.

You almost made me spit out my Coke!

I do recognize your point, though. Energon is second only to TR in being a TFTM redux.

#14 ShadowMan024

ShadowMan024

The Twentiest... Whatever that means.

• Citizen
  • 20391 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

CW managed to be the first non-Movie line that completely lost my interest.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

There are days when the wind doesn't feel like wind so much as it's a swarm of invisible wraiths shrieking and tearing and clawing at everything.

#15 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Antici--

• Citizen
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:20 PM

Retrospectively, I don't think I really liked any of the toylines! :D Not out of hate, just disinterest. I mean, there are standout "glad I bought these!" figures from each one, but I didn't really follow any like I did with RotF or Kre-O. Dunno how to rank anything when everything that wasn't Lugnut, Cosmos, and Sky Lynx were effectively just background noise.

Thrilling 30 was interesting because it was actual GenerationS for once, but it was also a time where prices went up, quality went down (Blitzwing's shoulders, Cosmos' head paint, Whirl's STENCH!!), and I had to start getting picky with toys...

Edited by Noideaforaname, 15 February 2017 - 09:21 PM.

--pation

#16 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Supporter
  • 3151 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

Someone should mock up catalogues for each line to help me decide.

#17 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Citizen
  • 11712 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

I'm with Randy on this, in that I'll always have a fondness for Classics. That came around at just the right time -- the headiness of the peak of the Unicron Trilogy showing us the new was thriving, the anticipation of a new age with the Movie, and a concentrated taste of revisited originals. Many of them have been superseded since, but only because the established (and, sure, obvious) viability of that line made future iterations possible.

2.0 and T30 are great anniversary lines with a good breadth of product, with the latter being a bit of a better execution that was even symbiotically guided by a fiction tie-in that the former didn't quite get to have.

CW and TR elevated mold-maximization and reuse to an art form, and that's a feat in and of itself. All I could still want from CW is a G2 Defensor -- it managed to cover every vehicle combiner, and give us a great fan-vote one too. Here's hoping a later round gets us the beasts.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#18 Magnusblitz

Magnusblitz
  • Citizen
  • 3725 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:02 PM

Universe 1.0: Nah. A bunch of weird recolors and little odds and ends. I do sorta wish I had picked up a Razorclaw and mammoth Nemesis Prime at the time though.

Alternators: Was also never a fan, I think the only two I ever got were Sideswipe and Swindle. Stuff like licensing and rubber wheels and realistic alt-modes aren't something I really care about, and overall the complexity and thin shells each had turned me off.

Classics: The one that started it all, eh? Certainly some very good toys (Voyager Optimus Prime is still my favorite Prime toy) but also had a fair amount of misses, as well, like Grimlock, the Ultimate Battle Set, etc.

Universe 2.0: Time has not treated this line well. There's still a few standouts (Cyclonus, Sunstreaker, Hound) but also some really big clunkers (Galvatron, Ironhide, Cheetor). My overall impression steers a bit negative because a lot of the toys in the middle have one or two things that I really keep me from liking the toy.

Generations (2010)/Reveal The Shield: RtS has some really great toys - Jazz, Perceptor, Laser Rod Prime, Wreck-Gar. Still mad I never found Lugnut. I could take or leave the WfC toys, but the neo-G1 toys like Scourge, Drift, and Kup are pretty good. The repaints are good too (depending on your view of the rancor the three Seekers caused), and oh yeah, we not only got a Straxus toy, but we got a AWESOME Straxus toy. The worst toy is probably, what, Thunderwing?

Generations (FoC/Thrilling 30): I've never been a fan of the video game aesthetic, and I think the FoC toys are definitely inferior to the WfC ones. The only one I got was Bruticus because hey, Bruticus, something that feels silly in retrospect after Combiner Wars. But Thrilling 30 has a bunch of great toys, enough that even outshines the odd clunker (Blitzwing).

Combiner Wars/Titan Masters: Lots of solid (if not great) toys, and scratches my itch to have all those 86-87 guys we hadn't gotten. But there was too much mold reuse in Combiner Wars, even skipping stuff like the '84-85 character repaints.

---

Looking at my notes, I'm casting my vote for 2010/RtS, but Thrilling 30 is very close (and CW/TR right behind that). Looking back certainly does make me feel spoiled at some of the awesome stuff we're getting now, though... going from stuff like "well I guess a G1-ish repaint of Energon Devastator is good enough" to "FULL LINE OF COMBINERS" for example.

Edited by Magnusblitz, 15 February 2017 - 11:03 PM.

#19 LV!

LV!

Ol' 55

• Citizen
  • 10216 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:39 PM

Universe 1, because it wasn't a Neo-G1 line.

#20 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 1837 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:59 AM

These poll options are awful. Universe 1.0 and Generations (2010) weren't even "Neo G1" lines. There's no option for Generations before FOC. Then toy lines that aren't similar are paired together.

Bad poll. Decent question though.

Alternators:
The only one I think still holds up is the 2nd Ravage (the one with the cat mode). The rest of the line is a neat gimmick that leads to a lot of frustration. This line might be among worst Transformers lines if you ask me.

Classics:
I was talking about this line with friends the other day. Mirage is still amazing. Others are still solid, but a lot of them were just good for the time. They also have that Cybertron charm. Also, I hate the Seeker mold. Mainly because it was subpar even for it's time and could've been tweaked to be great, but they never did. I'd probably rate this line higher if it wasn't so small. Even including the Botcon figures, Mini-Cons, and other repaints from Energon and Cybertron, the line is still well under a hundred toys. And only a 3rd of those (maybe even a 4th) were made for Classics.

Universe 2.0:
Had to bring up a list of this line to remind myself what was in it beyond the 2 BW figures and Cyclonus really is the best thing of the line. The rest kind of have the same issue as Alternators in that the complexity is a detriment. Aside from the 3 toys I mentioned, I don't think I still have anything left of this line in my collection. And the 2 BW toys from this line are not good. This is a pretty weak line in general in my opinion.

Generations Pre-FOC/Reveal the Shield:
While RTS is technically a movie line, it had a lot of toys clearly intended for Generations that would not have been released otherwise. The only real difference here is the rub signs on RTS. These lines are still mainly complex like U2.0, but I feel there's a few more streamlined figures that are good. I still have a lot of these lines on my shelves. Warpath is great. Jazz is great. Kup and Tracks are not perfect, but I sort of love them for that. WfC still fills a few of my character spots as well and WfC Prime is one of the complex ones that enjoy. Plus, we got leftfield stuff like Darkmount.

Fall of Cybetron:
This line is when the shift to more simple TFs was getting started. There's some good stuff here. Until TR, I'd point to this line's Blaster and Soundwave if you wanted a modern tape deck like chest gimmick. There are stand outs like Starscream that's basically an updated triangle seeker, but my favorite of the line is easily Air Raid with his badass combining sword. I still play with Air Raid from time to time. And I mean PLAY play, pew pew sound effects and all. I don't know if there's a way to recommend a toy more highly than that.

Oh...and this line had combiners that a lot of us would like to forget.

Thrilling 30:
This is the line hardest to not cheat with because half of the highlights aren't G1. Those Beast Wars toys are amazing and more important to me than G1 stuff. Armada Starscream and BM Tankor are super fun...and there's some great G1 stuff to. The line is at odds with itself if judged as "Neo G1" because it's great for not being JUST G1. Eitherway, Springer is a masterpiece. Arcee (at least Takara's paint job) is a wonderful Arcee, the Legends class is full of great stuff. Cosmos is [insert positive adjective here]. I think this is the high point for Generations for me, but I'm aware a lot of that is because half of it isn't G1.

Combiner Wars:
I have a huge love/hate relationship with Combiner Wars. I feel that they successfully made a modern combiner...Superion. If the torso is Silverbolt or one of his retools, then it's going to be a great combiner. Every other torso (save for Sky Lynx who comes close, but misses thanks to QC) sucks as a torso. Plus, one bad figure pretty much ruins the whole combiner. There's still a few stand out singles like Rook and really all of the Protectabots when they aren't combined. I wouldn't call this line bad so much as just a disappointment.

Titans Return:
Still ongoing, so this could change. I like it more than CW if only because a dud in this line is pretty self contained to it's own package (or only cost $5). More importantly (for me), beast modes are back again! I know it wasn't that long, but I missed that variety in CW. Other than that, I love the Titanmasters and really everything about them as a concept. The TM class is like Micromasters and MASK had baby. The line realizes that if they're going to have the heads become tiny robots, they need stuff to interact with. To me, TR is the line that doesn't just update old toys, but also updates the gimmick and makes it better.

So yeah, best of these is Thrilling 30, but I'm not sure how much of that greatness really belongs to G1, just that it had a lot of great toys and some were G1. Close 2nd is either TR, Pre-FOC Gen, or RTS. Classics, FOC, CW, and U2.0 round out the middle. Bottom is easily Alternators.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users