Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Waspinator : (21 August 2017 - 11:02 PM)

Thankfully, Dracula's castle didn't escape the eclipse this time.

@  Nevermore : (21 August 2017 - 09:41 PM)

In retaliation, President Trump threatens to nuke the moon.

@  Nevermore : (21 August 2017 - 09:40 PM)

This just in: ISIS claims responsibility for the eclipse.

@  Diecast : (21 August 2017 - 06:09 PM)

Which left like a hundred disappointed middle schoolers.

@  Diecast : (21 August 2017 - 06:09 PM)

Where I'm located got 95% eclipse. Which lacked a worthwhile climax. I really should have driven into it, but I planned on going to my science teacher wife's school thing that got cancelled last minute.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 August 2017 - 03:44 PM)

I was considering trying to get the day off for it and driving down south to the US far enough that I could see the total eclipse, but after looking into it it seems like there's another total eclipse coming up in 2024 where the totality will be visible just 45 minutes south-west of me, so I figure I'll wait it out

@  Bass X0 : (21 August 2017 - 03:30 PM)

don't worry, social media didn't.

@  MEDdMI : (21 August 2017 - 02:59 PM)

shoot... I forgot all about the eclipse.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 August 2017 - 02:36 PM)

lewd

@  Bass X0 : (21 August 2017 - 01:30 PM)

i wanted a peek at the sun's peak too.

@  Noideaforaname : (21 August 2017 - 01:02 PM)

Just caught a peak of the 'bitten' sun. COOL!!

@  Noideaforaname : (21 August 2017 - 12:46 PM)

I got my cereal box eclipse viewer ready. Hopefully these clouds part...

@  Dracula : (21 August 2017 - 09:44 AM)

well I'm supposed to be permanently sealed in a dimensional rift today so I've gotta stay on guard

@  Diecast : (21 August 2017 - 09:38 AM)

Any of you nerds going outside today?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 August 2017 - 07:52 AM)

"Would have been?" Isn't he still on the Batgirl thing?

@  unluckiness : (21 August 2017 - 07:46 AM)

It probably wouldn't be worse but it sure would have been really samey to everything else he's done.

@  Paladin : (21 August 2017 - 06:42 AM)

i am still not convinced he could do a worse job with Batgirl than Bruce Timm already did.

@  Pennpenn : (21 August 2017 - 03:42 AM)

The thing to remember about Madman is that they are often more enthusiastic than they are reliable.

@  2017 : (21 August 2017 - 12:01 AM)

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised.

@  Maruten : (20 August 2017 - 10:13 PM)

This stuff I think. http://www.vulture.c...-hypocrite.html

@  Confuzor : (20 August 2017 - 10:05 PM)

The what now?

@  2017 : (20 August 2017 - 09:39 PM)

This news about Joss Whedon sure was a thing to wake up to.

@  Sabrblade : (20 August 2017 - 06:59 PM)

To back up to the original question about Scramble City's existence in regards to the English-language cartoon continuity, the pack-in comic that came with the Australian DVD boxed set released by Madman did feature a timeline of events that included a point in history titles "Scramble City", so that comic may at least want us to "pretend" that Scramble City happened in the cartoon continuity. But then again, that same comic also used the Marvel Comics' asteroid crisis as the true reason for the Ark's launch, and included the Beast Wars as being unambiguously part of this timeline, so make of that comic's timeline what you will.

@  NightViper : (20 August 2017 - 09:16 AM)

And unlike Takara's JG1 that has been steadily evolving and passing itself down from writer to writer in more-or-less smooth transition, anyone going back now to Hasbro's G1 does feel a bit more like changing history rather than reviving or continuing it.

@  NightViper : (20 August 2017 - 09:11 AM)

Editors at Fun Pub didn't feel it was right to try to "fix" or otherwise change or alter other writers' works. Which is why everything Fun Pub-written became its own stream (Animated was written by the same creative team as the show, so it's one of the very few stories still set in its original continuity). So rather than write words into the original creative team's mouths, Wings only sought to offer one possible solution to the Constructicons weirdness.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 August 2017 - 08:24 PM)

Too bad there weren't that many Wings stories. On the other hand, JG1 is still continuing with stories!

@  Spacewarp : (19 August 2017 - 06:10 PM)

Wings is obviously not cartoon continuity, but is heavily indebted to it.

@  Spacewarp : (19 August 2017 - 06:09 PM)

Basically what my original point was that continuities based on the original cartoon but not actually a part of it have used what Pennpenn originally said.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 August 2017 - 05:42 PM)

I get what you mean, but the wording is awful. It's not possible for Wings to "alter" or "destroy" something it was never part of, nor really interacted with.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 August 2017 - 05:40 PM)

It didn't "alter the existing continuity". It's an entirely new one that left the cartoon's continuity exactly as it ever was.

@  Bass X0 : (19 August 2017 - 05:24 PM)

didn't it take the original cartoon continuity but change parts of it to make a new continuity? i said i'd have preferred it stayed within the original cartoon continuity instead of altering the existing continuity. thats what i would have done. stories would have been written around the existing stories.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 August 2017 - 04:24 PM)

Wings can't "destroy it even further" when it was never the cartoon continuity in the first place.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 August 2017 - 03:57 PM)

The problem is that it isn't really fixable without redoing it from the ground up. Or going into insane retcons and rewrites, which A) is about the same thing, and B) is kinda Takara's thing.

@  Bass X0 : (19 August 2017 - 03:22 PM)

I find its better to fix a broken continuity than to destroy it even further.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 August 2017 - 03:06 PM)

The cartoon couldn't even stay consistent with the cartoon, so why worry when something else can't, either?

@  Bass X0 : (19 August 2017 - 02:53 PM)

I never connected with the whole "Wings is similar to the cartoon continuity but several things are different" thing they had going on. they should really have done it so that it stayed in continuity with the cartoon but focused on the off-screen events prior, during and after the cartoon stories.

@  unluckiness : (19 August 2017 - 10:42 AM)

Not like it's ever relevant anyway.

@  Pennpenn : (19 August 2017 - 10:00 AM)

I mean, it doesn't make sense otherwise, regardless of how official particular fiction is.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 August 2017 - 09:57 AM)

Wings is officially not really cartoon continuity, though.

@  Spacewarp : (19 August 2017 - 09:55 AM)

@Pennpenn: There is some fiction that does actually use the whole "they were rebuilt on Earth" explanation. The Fun Pub Wings stuff comes to mind.

@  Pennpenn : (19 August 2017 - 08:36 AM)

Oh absolutely

@  unluckiness : (19 August 2017 - 05:00 AM)

point is, the cartoon's continuity was hugged to begin with.

@  Pennpenn : (19 August 2017 - 03:53 AM)

My brain usually parses that as "Constructicons built him on contract or something so weren't evil then, and Megatron meant rebuilt in Heavy Metal War". Yeah it's a stretch, but whatever

@  unluckiness : (19 August 2017 - 03:16 AM)

Just like the evil constructicons built Megatron then turned good and then were robosmashed back to evil and then somehow built on Earth.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (18 August 2017 - 06:28 PM)

Though to be fair, Japanese continuity itself did not reconcile how Dinosaurer was destroyed in the 1980s and rebuilt in 2010 until the Unite Warriors manga of 2017.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (18 August 2017 - 05:45 PM)

Also, Scramble City has Trypticon in existence while the English version had Trypticon built in 2005 in season 3.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 August 2017 - 04:15 PM)

English and Japanese dubs of the cartoon are officially different continuities from each other, so...

@  Bass X0 : (18 August 2017 - 04:07 PM)

Is Scramble City canon or in continuity with the U.S. 80s Transformers cartoon despite not being dubbed?

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 August 2017 - 03:10 PM)

Make it a link instead of just pasting the URL.

@  Evac : (18 August 2017 - 02:56 PM)

If I could post youtube links without them becoming videos in the box, I'd link to the "parrot singing 'Let The Bodies Hit The Floor'" video.

Photo
- - - - -

Is Fort Max worth it for Metroplex owners?

58 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Fort Max worth it for Metroplex owners?

Is Fort Max worth it for a Metroplex owner?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 MightyMegs

MightyMegs
  • Citizen
  • 4138 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:07 PM

I've spent plenty of $ on sticker and upgrade kits for Metroplex... and I still like Fort Max better.

#22 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2559 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:15 PM

Fort Max may be one of the first modern Transformers I sell since my great purge about 7 years ago. And I've only had him since Christmas. He makes me want an original, and Bain really hit it on the head about those ramps.

I owned an incomplete original in the early 2000s. Cerebros/Spike is better. Everything else is trumped by a 30 year old toy.

FM is the 2016 version of Titanium Soundwave when compared to the original. Stupid feet...stupid legs. Least he isn't wearing a diaper.

"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#23 Bainreese

Bainreese
  • Retired Staff
  • 15608 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

I can't believe it took that long for someone to call Fort Max lazy.

I'm not a Hasbro sycophant like some and I'm not a constant basher like others.  I understand I have adult expectations on what is otherwise a kids toy line.  But come on.  Ramps would have been a single piece of molded plastic tacked with a pin onto the ends that would have covered very obvious hands and would have been completely inline with the G1 figure.  It would have provided more play value for the toy and would have been more appropriate than the two red mini-ramps that are meant to marry up with completely different figures someone may or may not own.

That is only the ramp issue....glaring and obvious as it is.  That doesn't even touch on the fact that the 30 year old toy it was meant to be an update for had more play features.

The ramps are a pet peeve of mine for sure.  Perhaps even to the point of being Phazer-level annoying with my disdain for what a big miss it was.  But I don't even play with my toys like kids do and it bugs me its missing such a simple, cheap, and obviously needed play feature.

Edited by Bainreese, 14 February 2017 - 01:51 PM.

·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>
·´¯`·.. ><((((º> ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

#24 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 11065 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

I kinda touched on this over in the Trypticon thread.  I think part of what is making Titan Masters such a successful line for so many of us is the fact that Hasbro has given us something that we didn't even get with G1 Headmasters.

#1.  An entire line of Headmasters rather than just a subline

#2.  Play integration and swap-ability between all size classes.

#3.  Smaller transformable vehicles as well as base-modes for almost all larger than deluxe figures.

#4.  Titan Master features in the guns and larger figures specifically designed around the Titan Masters.

#1 is undeniably true, and quite cool.

#2? There was never any size of Headmaster head that didn't work in all other Headmasters made, to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps it was more accidental than intentional, but I'm disinclined to include this as a distinct point in TR's favor....

#3 is a MAJOR plus.

#4 is true... but honestly, I'm not all that enthusiastic about it. Still, it's intentional, and there are folks who like it, so I guess it works.

Yeah, we live in a pretty good time, don't we?

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 14 February 2017 - 02:41 PM.

#25 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 11065 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:43 PM

Quite honestly, I'm surprised at the amount of disdain that TR Fort Max is getting in this thread.

But I'm certainly happy to have my G1 Fort Max affirmed.

#26 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 39262 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:45 PM

I like the toy, so I hold no disdain for it... 

But yeah. All the other options offered in this thread are better. 

#27 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 58877 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

Same here.  He's certainly nice.  Just not as good as Metroplex or the original.

Fortress and Cerebros are great though.

#28 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4368 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

I don't think either one is worth it.  

#29 Bainreese

Bainreese
  • Retired Staff
  • 15608 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

#2? There was never any size of Headmaster head that didn't work in all other Headmasters made, to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps it was more accidental than intentional, but I'm disinclined to include this as a distinct point in TR's favor....

Perhaps a better way to say this is that they have made a gimmick where the headmasters are interchangeable between size classes and made a far greater variety of size classes that interact with the headmaster.  In G1 the headmasters were all of a size with one another with the exception of Scorponok and Fort Max.  Whereas with TR we've not only got a Fort Max, but we have leaders, voyagers, and deluxes that all have interchangeable heads and even some legends that have integrated headmaster compartments.

We do live in a great time and my irritation with Hasbro for being lazy with Fort Max should not overshadow my love for all the other things they are doing in the same way that being critical of my daughter's overuse of the word 'like' 5 times in a sentence doesn't mean I love her less.  ;-)

#30 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 35581 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

Quite honestly, I'm surprised at the amount of disdain that TR Fort Max is getting in this thread.

But I'm certainly happy to have my G1 Fort Max affirmed.

As you should.  G1 Fort Max is way more fun.  And a hell of a lot sturdier... grumblegrumblefallingofframpsandcollapsinglegsgrumblegrumble..

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#31 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 24686 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

I don't even think of Metroplex and Fortress Maximus as serving the same purpose, honestly. Plex is part of the Legends/Cyberverse collection, Max is part of the not-those collection.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#32 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 11065 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:55 PM

Perhaps a better way to say this is that they have made a gimmick where the headmasters are interchangeable between size classes and made a far greater variety of size classes that interact with the headmaster.  In G1 the headmasters were all of a size with one another with the exception of Scorponok and Fort Max.  Whereas with TR we've not only got a Fort Max, but we have leaders, voyagers, and deluxes that all have interchangeable heads and even some legends that have integrated headmaster compartments.

There's certainly greater variety now, but I was thinking of Headmaster Jrs. as being a distinct size-class from the previous years' Headmasters. The heads still worked back-and-forth, though.

#33 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 24771 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:12 PM

I bought the SDCC FM in a sale before Christmas. It's nice enough as a big Transformer but definitely underwhelming. The city mode is only really a glorified hub to attach Leader base modes too and most of the TM pegs only work in this mode. A lot of the ports for weapons (including those designed to seat TMs) feel really badly placed and conflict with each other.

The weird box on his left leg annoys me and really would have benefitted from being some kind of vehicle.

If you want to have a toy where size is the gimmick then it works. But as a transformer and the big ticket item of the fun Titans Return line it's really underwhelming.

#34 DirtyByrd

DirtyByrd
  • Citizen
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:36 PM

I have only had Fort Max since Christmas. I like him but I find myself questioning how to display him due to space constraints. So sadly, he is not displayed. I still want Generations Metroplex but I'm not willing to shell out the exorbitant prices he is going for now. I also never owned any of the G1 cities. All that being said, I'm glad to finally own a city-former.

#35 Sciflyer

Sciflyer

Tomorrow's Harvest

• Citizen
  • 3248 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

I passed on Generations Metroplex back when he was released because he just seemed kind of "meh" to me.  His city mode looked pretty half-assed to my eyes, but I will grant that his rolling battle platform mode was decent.  I did track down a loose Scamper a couple of years ago though, and I really like him.  Because I don't own Metroplex, he has been added in as Fort Max's little buddy.

I do understand the criticism that TR/LG Fort Max is underwhelming in his city mode, what with the lack of ramps to cover those fists (seriously, it's unforgivable).  And yes, G1 Fort Max succeeds in both alt modes where the modern update falls short.  However, I have - and continue to have - a lot of fun with TR/LG Fort Max. Yes, I bought both releases and no, I don't regret them. Cerebros and Fortress are great and I have found a lot of ways to display other Transformers in my collection around him.

So yeah, uh, get whichever one appeals to you or don't.  If you already own Metroplex and are on the fence about Fort Max, I'd say do it.  He ticks different boxes and is aesthetically pleasing in robot mode.  He'll look great in your collection and who knows, you might even have a little fun with him.

#36 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 11936 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:09 PM

I should probably give up on the fantasy that I'm ever going to be willing to pay for an SDCC Metroplex and just buy the little Decoy guys who are the only part of it I really wanted in the first place.

#37 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Staff
  • 23998 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:22 PM

Price is a HUGE factor. If you already own Metroplex, he is absolutely not worth it at full retail, as he's overall an inferior figure (unless you need Cerebros).

Find him at a decent sale price, and he becomes a relatively inexpensive way to add something massive to the collection.

Regarding his base mode, Blaster somehow manages to provide a much better base for Titan Masters at a fraction of the cost.

VOTE FOR SNAPDRAGON: GETTING KRUNK SINCE 1987!

card-snapdragon.jpg

Spoiler

#38 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Staff
  • 50657 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:00 AM

We do live in a great time and my irritation with Hasbro for being lazy with Fort Max should not overshadow my love for all the other things they are doing in the same way that being critical of my daughter's overuse of the word 'like' 5 times in a sentence doesn't mean I love her less.  ;-)
You want "play integration" but when Hasbro gives you some they hear

(it) would have been more appropriate than the two red mini-ramps that are meant to marry up with completely different figures someone may or may not own.

Edited by MrBlud, 15 February 2017 - 01:01 AM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#39 Bainreese

Bainreese
  • Retired Staff
  • 15608 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:58 AM

You want "play integration" but when Hasbro gives you some they hear

(it) would have been more appropriate than the two red mini-ramps that are meant to marry up with completely different figures someone may or may not own.

Yes, I'd rather the figure be a complete toy itself before it starts trying to be compatible with everything else.  Sort of like a hitch on my car is great to be able to tow a trailer.  But don't leave the hood of the car off so that I can have a hitch.

#40 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 17620 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:56 AM

I got Fort Max for Christmas, and Metroplex a couple of Christmases ago, and honestly? I love him. Honestly, I don't feel he's much like Metroplex at all, even despite the shared parts, save for in robot mode, where some of the iffier issues are shared as well (i.e. kind of a wobbly stance).

That said, not having owned a G1 Fort Max, I still want to. He just seems better overall, though TR Fort Max does kind of have his own thing going on. Different from Metroplex, but not as well done as G1. I still want to get a rifle for Cerebros, and a large gun for the robot and ship modes.

Really, the best way to describe Fort Max as being like a compromise between G1 Fort Max and Generations Metroplex. The base mode has grown on me as well.

But if you own Metroplex and want Trypticon? I'd probably say save for Trypticon, though that also depends on your feelings about Fort Max being Fort Max. I've wanted Fort Max for three decades, and I'm probably not getting him any time soon (and for what my wife paid for TR, she might have been able to get the reissue for not much more), so this is good by me.

Then again, part of that probably owes to the longtime fantasy of "being" Spike, being in command of this huge base and this huge starship and joining with this huge robot. Fortress Maximus was the realization of what Spike was supposed to be, that relatable connection between the viewer and the Transformers themselves.

So yeah, your mileage may vary.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users