Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2017 - 02:24 PM)

You'd be a banker.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 August 2017 - 12:20 PM)

What if you paid your job but they don't love you?

@  BlackMax : (16 August 2017 - 08:01 PM)

...crap, never mind, enough searching and I turned it up. I am convinced this would not have happened without asking.

@  BlackMax : (16 August 2017 - 07:43 PM)

Forgive me for being the last one aboard the bus that came and went after the previous bus... but can anyone direct me to the comic based on UW Megatronia?

@  Bass X0 : (16 August 2017 - 04:36 PM)

I'll refer to Simon Furman's work on Dreamwave.

@  OrionPax44 : (16 August 2017 - 04:28 PM)

How bout if you love your job but they don't pay you?

@  Bass X0 : (16 August 2017 - 02:31 PM)

It doesn't feel like work when you love your job!

@  2017 : (16 August 2017 - 08:24 AM)

Why do you want to remove it? Just in the way or something?

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2017 - 03:42 AM)

I wonder if there's any way to remove Destiny 2 from the Battlenet launcher entirely?

@  OrionPax44 : (15 August 2017 - 01:55 PM)

Cause they wanna slice your head off but irritation is all they can pull off.

@  Benbot : (15 August 2017 - 10:59 AM)

why do electric razors do such a poor job with the neck?

@  RichardT1977 : (13 August 2017 - 08:17 PM)

"We Are Number One" but with the cancer in remission.

@  Evac : (13 August 2017 - 04:49 PM)

Actually, today, we are ALL number one

@  Evac : (13 August 2017 - 04:49 PM)

HE REALLY IS NUMBER ONE

@  Evac : (13 August 2017 - 04:48 PM)

YES

@  Foffy : (13 August 2017 - 03:53 PM)

Thanks, Patchy~

@  Patchouli Kn... : (13 August 2017 - 03:29 PM)

In these dark, depressing times, let us have a spot of good news: http://heavy.com/ent...nsson-not-dead/

@  Diecast : (13 August 2017 - 03:11 PM)

My wife has that ability to bring up a bill or something the second story starts. Couldn't have been during the silent loading screen either.

@  Noideaforaname : (13 August 2017 - 11:59 AM)

God yes. Nothing like spending three hours collecting items, then the instant you get back to the story LET'S ALL SHOUT ABOUT OUR NEW SOCKS! THEY'RE BLUE!!

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 August 2017 - 09:12 AM)

I still say ALL games should have a Subtitled option.. Since when I play in the family room it seems people want to talk EVERY SINGLE cut scene.

@  RichardT1977 : (13 August 2017 - 09:08 AM)

You can usually adjust that in the Settings Menu.

@  Cybersnark : (13 August 2017 - 07:58 AM)

It used to (on the TV I had in my room growing up, for one).

@  Bass X0 : (13 August 2017 - 02:42 AM)

When you mute your tv, it should automatically display closed captioning.

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 August 2017 - 07:18 PM)

Hmmm...Right Stuf was asked about the Brave series at Otakon 2017 a little bit ago..."They'll look into it" Dare to hope?

@  wonko the sane? : (12 August 2017 - 06:51 PM)

It's one button, how hard could it be? :D

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 August 2017 - 05:12 PM)

Oh god...iMovie is SO much more complicated than I thought...

@  RichardT1977 : (12 August 2017 - 04:54 PM)

Even TV Tropes admits that.

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 August 2017 - 04:48 PM)

Because TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 August 2017 - 04:29 PM)

TVTropes is a useful resource. Why is it that people on other sites make fun of using TVTropes terminology?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (12 August 2017 - 04:21 PM)

The TVTropes page even specifically mentions that it's a wrestling term.

@  JasperGunner... : (12 August 2017 - 04:09 PM)

I thought it was a wrestling term

@  RichardT1977 : (12 August 2017 - 04:09 PM)

"Heel-face-turn"? Did you just use a TVTropes term?

@  Nevermore : (12 August 2017 - 03:52 PM)

So each of them thinks the other one is still evil, resulting in a fight.

@  Nevermore : (12 August 2017 - 03:51 PM)

A and B know each other from their times as villains, but neither is aware of the other's heel-face-turn.

@  Nevermore : (12 August 2017 - 03:51 PM)

Eventually, a new threat leads both villains A and B into the enemy lair.

@  Nevermore : (12 August 2017 - 03:50 PM)

Elswehere, former villain B has also given up his plans for world domination and decided to become a part-time ally of the good guys.

@  Nevermore : (12 August 2017 - 03:49 PM)

Former villain A has abandoned his evil ways and decided to become an anti-hero of sorts.

@  Nevermore : (12 August 2017 - 03:49 PM)

Where has this plot been done before:

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 August 2017 - 01:52 PM)

Until you get the taxes for it.

@  Evac : (12 August 2017 - 01:02 PM)

But $69,999 cars are fine

@  Bass X0 : (12 August 2017 - 05:39 AM)

Quote of the day: "When you wreck a $70,000 car you don't wanna drive $70,000 cars anymore"

@  Arazyr : (10 August 2017 - 09:31 PM)

Thanks! Glad people seem to like them!

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2017 - 09:25 PM)

Okay, those were pretty awesome. Keep up the good work, man.

@  Arazyr : (10 August 2017 - 07:03 PM)

Thanks for your interest! 8^)

@  Telly : (10 August 2017 - 07:02 PM)

thanks!

@  Arazyr : (10 August 2017 - 06:56 PM)

That was me. http://legionofplastic.com/

@  Telly : (10 August 2017 - 06:12 PM)

who on this forum had the comicstrip of swerve and deadpool figures? i wanted to check it out today but i didnt bookmark it like i thought i did and cant remember who did it

@  Evac : (10 August 2017 - 02:13 PM)

I think they both sound like Mr. Burns

@  Bass X0 : (10 August 2017 - 02:03 PM)

In your opinion, does Starscream sound like Cobra Commander, or does Cobra Commander sound like Starscream? (Yes, I know they're the same voice actor)

@  Diecast : (10 August 2017 - 01:28 PM)

MASK spiritual successor Vor-Tech had that intelligent car, right? Have a Transformer interact with something like that.

Photo
- - - - -

About Shout's Japanese Transformers DVDs...

46 replies to this topic

#21 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 1656 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

They're worth watching once, especially since each set is like, less than 20 dollars. Each one is a trip in its own way, a combination of actual coolness and "what the hell is going on" randomness. I'd definitely call them better than Energon, and probably the Unicron Trilogy as a whole, just due to the manic energy of them all, compared to the UT's stiff sterility.

Honestly, the low quality and dodgy, inconsistent subtitles didn't really bug me, because I figured, at that price for 40-ish episodes a set, you get what you pay for.

A word of warning, though, there's some content missing here and there. The only major thing is a clipshow from Masterforce that happens after the series, that served the purpose of explaining some unresolved backstory threads.

#22 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 7660 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:23 AM

I take issue with the asserton that Headmasters has any "manic energy". Or indeed any energy at all, from what I've managed to force myself through.

Edited by Jalaguy, 08 February 2017 - 10:23 AM.

DAEH6hLUAAAgb9l.png

#23 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 8676 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

The HM subs remain ropey across all versions, but it's only Shout's awkward modifications that are a problem for MF and V; the core subs for those were a good job.

(I mean, y'know, if I do say so myself.)

#24 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 1656 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:44 AM

I take issue with the asserton that Headmasters has any "manic energy". Or indeed any energy at all, from what I've managed to force myself through.

Actual lines:

"It's all thanks to that donkey"

"Absolutely. The donkey showed incredible bravery taking on that Decepticon to save the boy."

"Remarkable, these people of Earth, their animals, and the environment!"

That kinda weird stuff. Admittedly it's been a couple of years, so maybe I'm combining the shows in my head.

#25 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 11915 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

There are a bunch of parts of Headmasters that sound wacky and awesome when you write about them that are a big string of Zs when you actually watch them, though.

#26 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 22337 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

So the subs on these aren't very good, eh? I'll definitely look for a bargain in trying to get them bit by bit, then.

Thanks for the help, all!

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

To be clear, they're only bad in that quite a lot of characters' names are changed in sorta arbitrary ways.

Not just names, but several lines of dialogue were just rewritten for the sake of it, making them say things that completely differed from what was being spoken onscreen. For instance, the title of Episode 1, "Four Warriors Come out of the Sky", was instead changed in the subs to be just "Warriors from Space". And in a later instance, there's an episode where Cyclonus and Scourge grumble about having to take orders from Scorponok during Galvatron's absence, and while the dialogue has Soundblaster basically tell the two to just buck up and deal with it, the subs instead have him claim that Galvatron ordered Soundblaster to tell the two to follow Scorponok, which is not only wrong but makes Soundblaster sound like he made up fake orders from Galvatron to suit his own purposes, which goes against his character since that's something he'd never do.

Plus, a lot of terminology from Western TF media that never existed back in the 1980s (predominately terms from the then-new Aligned media and the IDW comics) were inserted into the subtitle scripts as well. Namely, practically every instance of a character expressing frustration through exclamations and expletives was subbed as "scrap", references to the Allspark were added, Chōkon Power became "Energon Power", Sixshot's rank as the Destron Dinobase Ninja Staff Officer was subbed as "Phase Six Decepticon officer", all of the cassettes were called "Deployers" (this was back when the Exodus novel described Soundwave's minions as Deployers, rather than the current RID toyline using that term to refer to the bigger partner who uses said minions), and the Breastforce was given the infamously completely-made-up renaming of "Chestforce".

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#27 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 22337 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

From what I recall, the subtitle scripts weren't edited by Shout! Factory, but by Hasbro themselves (specifically, the Aaron Archer era version of Hasbro), so I lay the blame upon Hasbro rather than Shout! for the arbitrary changes made to the subs.

A word of warning, though, there's some content missing here and there.

For The Headmasters, it was mainly the pre-episode recaps and the post-episode/pre-end credits next-episode previews. But, for episodes 1 and 25, there was additional episode material that played before the title card where the recaps would normally go, and because these scenes played before the title card, they were missing from those two episodes as well.

However, this is consistent across the UK, Australian, and U.S. DVDs of The Headmasters, since Toei gave incomplete masters to all three companies.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#28 Viola

Viola
  • Supporter
  • 21879 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:04 AM

The Headmasters is honestly like they were trying to mimick the 'feel' of the American series but just failed miserably.

450b1a84e913f442e40a2zjs7h.jpg

#29 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 58861 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

Deployers is one that irks me.  Because it comes off as specifically Aligned bible like, and I don't like it.

#30 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 22337 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

The Wiki's page for The Headmasters includes this little claim about some of the early episodes of the series:

According to the booklet included with the Pioneer DVD release of the series, the earliest episodes of the series were based on aborted scripts written for the unmade fourth season of the American cartoon

#31 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 58861 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

doing a find and replace of all the times "blood" is mentioned and having "Bomburst" actually replace a reference to a human's blood.

HAHAHAHAHAHA SERIOUSLY?? I think the worst the Metrodome subs got in that territory was when the Decepticons plotted to "mindwipe them all out!"

Yeah, I think it's specifically when Cancer hurts Minerva or something, and she is bleeding.  Shuta exclaims Bomburst rather than the blood coming out of Minerva.

#32 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1091 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:05 PM

... and the Breastforce was given the infamously completely-made-up renaming of "Chestforce".

Unlike all the other parts of Transformers which aren't made up.

-JimS

#33 Chip

Chip

The light which smashes lies!

• Citizen
  • 6509 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

Sixshot's rank as the Destron Dinobase Ninja Staff Officer was subbed as "Phase Six Decepticon officer",

I should know this already, but is this the same rank that the dubs consistently translate as "Ninja Consultant"?

#34 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 22337 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

Sixshot's rank as the Destron Dinobase Ninja Staff Officer was subbed as "Phase Six Decepticon officer",

I should know this already, but is this the same rank that the dubs consistently translate as "Ninja Consultant"?

Yes.

#35 sparkasylum

sparkasylum
  • Citizen
  • 996 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:54 PM

doing a find and replace of all the times "blood" is mentioned and having "Bomburst" actually replace a reference to a human's blood.

HAHAHAHAHAHA SERIOUSLY?? I think the worst the Metrodome subs got in that territory was when the Decepticons plotted to "mindwipe them all out!"

Yeah, I think it's specifically when Cancer hurts Minerva or something, and she is bleeding.  Shuta exclaims Bomburst rather than the blood coming out of Minerva.

Yep, that's it, I loved that part.

#36 Telly

Telly

Puckish Rogue

• Retired Staff
  • 5973 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

This reminds me of the liner notes to that "Coming Out Of Their Shells" live TMNT band show thing, in which any word with "-don-" in it ended up replaced by "Donatello", such as:

"Ain't gonna stop until the Foot's undone" being rendered as "Ain't gonna stop until the Foot's unDonatello"

"The word 'gourmet' just don't exist" being rendered as "the word 'gourmet' just Donatello's exist"

i think i need this explained to me more. WHY would this be done? whats wrong with "don"?

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#37 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 11915 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

I have no idea. I also would have thought it predated widespread find-and-replace word processing.

#38 Chip

Chip

The light which smashes lies!

• Citizen
  • 6509 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:03 PM

I assume someone just balked at not using the trademarked term.

#39 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 17620 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:13 PM

Must....suppress...raucous....laughter...

So the subs on these aren't very good, eh? I'll definitely look for a bargain in trying to get them bit by bit, then.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

To be clear, they're only bad in that quite a lot of characters' names are changed in sorta arbitrary ways. It never bothered me because I can hear the names being said and I already know what they're supposed to be. If you're the kinda person who gets irked by characters saying "Rodimus Convoy" but the subs say "Rodimus Prime," and so on, then it will be bothersome to you. Otherwise it's fine

I think I'll manage. Pretty sure I've dealt in other stuff like that.

They're worth watching once, especially since each set is like, less than 20 dollars. Each one is a trip in its own way, a combination of actual coolness and "what the hell is going on" randomness. I'd definitely call them better than Energon, and probably the Unicron Trilogy as a whole, just due to the manic energy of them all, compared to the UT's stiff sterility.

Honestly, the low quality and dodgy, inconsistent subtitles didn't really bug me, because I figured, at that price for 40-ish episodes a set, you get what you pay for.

A word of warning, though, there's some content missing here and there. The only major thing is a clipshow from Masterforce that happens after the series, that served the purpose of explaining some unresolved backstory threads.

$30 a pop on Amazon.ca, unfortunately. Might just buy them off Amazon.com instead of .ca, since they're like $16 each there.

As for that missing part, at least I've got the wiki for that. I don't mind reading up some supplemental, but for an entire series, I'd rather watch as much as I can.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

To be clear, they're only bad in that quite a lot of characters' names are changed in sorta arbitrary ways.

Not just names, but several lines of dialogue were just rewritten for the sake of it, making them say things that completely differed from what was being spoken onscreen. For instance, the title of Episode 1, "Four Warriors Come out of the Sky", was instead changed in the subs to be just "Warriors from Space". And in a later instance, there's an episode where Cyclonus and Scourge grumble about having to take orders from Scorponok during Galvatron's absence, and while the dialogue has Soundblaster basically tell the two to just buck up and deal with it, the subs instead have him claim that Galvatron ordered Soundblaster to tell the two to follow Scorponok, which is not only wrong but makes Soundblaster sound like he made up fake orders from Galvatron to suit his own purposes, which goes against his character since that's something he'd never do.

Plus, a lot of terminology from Western TF media that never existed back in the 1980s (predominately terms from the then-new Aligned media and the IDW comics) were inserted into the subtitle scripts as well. Namely, practically every instance of a character expressing frustration through exclamations and expletives was subbed as "scrap", references to the Allspark were added, Chōkon Power became "Energon Power", Sixshot's rank as the Destron Dinobase Ninja Staff Officer was subbed as "Phase Six Decepticon officer", all of the cassettes were called "Deployers" (this was back when the Exodus novel described Soundwave's minions as Deployers, rather than the current RID toyline using that term to refer to the bigger partner who uses said minions), and the Breastforce was given the infamously completely-made-up renaming of "Chestforce".

So, like pretty much every anime I've ever seen dubbed, then, only it's subbed instead.

Sucks on the story thing, but I don't mind the terminology so much. Even though I know "Cybertrons," "Destrons," and even "Ninja Staff Officer," it's probably easier to keep track of in the longer run for terms and names unfamiliar to me.

The Headmasters is honestly like they were trying to mimick the 'feel' of the American series but just failed miserably.

From the bits I've seen, that's one of the most appealing parts to me.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#40 Cattleprod

Cattleprod
  • Citizen
  • 1576 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:30 PM

I don't think I got past episode four of Victory, and I'm not sure if it's due to quality or because it didn't feature characters I was familiar with. About 95% of characters in Headmasters and Masterforce existed in America or were repainted/remolded from someone that existed in America.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users