Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

Photo

Elder Scrolls

333 replies to this topic

#21 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26048 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:30 AM

Yeah, I tried to go back and play... one of them, I can't remember which, but it was clunky as hell.  Might have been OK back in the day, but today it's a frustrating nonsensical mess.

Oblivion is weird.  It's a halfway step between Morrowind and Skyrim and feels like the awkward, unloved stepchild in retrospect.  At the time, I loved it, though XD

Patrick Stewart. All other arguments are invalid.

But seriously, it would be nice if at some point they could program these games to learn the difference between accidental friendly fire in the midst of battle and actual murder.
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#22 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 43598 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:31 AM

Skyrim still doesn't do it. The best effort I've seen is fallout 4 where the characters just ignore the fact that I shot them cause they crossed my line of fire.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#23 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18717 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

Yeah, the worst feeling during battle is when you suddenly see the number of red dots on the compass suddenly multiply significantly and then everyone is attacking you.

That's usually a call for me to just reset to the last save.  Thankfully it's a Bethesda game so I'm pretty much saving at every turn anyway.

nzo8WYb.png

#24 Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

• Supporter
  • 4590 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

The original games are best viewed through a zoo window...

Those look like I would have loved them in the 90s. 

#25 Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

• Supporter
  • 4590 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

Yeah, I tried to go back and play... one of them, I can't remember which, but it was clunky as hell.  Might have been OK back in the day, but today it's a frustrating nonsensical mess.

Oblivion is weird.  It's a halfway step between Morrowind and Skyrim and feels like the awkward, unloved stepchild in retrospect.  At the time, I loved it, though XD

Patrick Stewart. All other arguments are invalid.

But seriously, it would be nice if at some point they could program these games to learn the difference between accidental friendly fire in the midst of battle and actual murder.

I love when I'm in a town and a dragon swoops in and I start swinging at it and a STUPID GUARD decides to walk right in front of me, so I'm suddenly fighting a dragon and 50 FRIGGIN' GUARDS. 

Yeah.

#26 Fishbug

Fishbug

Coming out of my can and I've been doing just fine

• Citizen
  • 11947 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:12 PM

I need to get back to my Oblivion playthrough.

Beat it years and years ago as a Dunmer.

Now my Argonian assassin Lurks-in-Alleys needs some love.
25aputg.jpg
#WHERESINJECTOR

#27 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48070 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:05 PM

So...the original games. Were they PC only? And what were they like? Anyone play Elder Scrolls 1 or 2?

Arena and Daggerfall are tough as nails.

I never managed to get out of the original dungeon in Arena. Why? Because the original combat system involved you clicking and holding down the mouse button while moving the mouse in the direction you want to attack.

Daggerfall is...ambitious.

This is Daggerfall's overworld map:

bUS6N5m.gif

Each of those little segments can be selected and zoomed into, resulting in a close up map like this:

Dz2PAgX.gif

Each of those dots represent towns, ruins, dungeons, villages, and hamlets. Said towns tend to look like this:

TjK6uGZ.jpg

Oh, and quests are timed. You can literally fail the main quest by not showing up to a specific inn in a specific town in a specific county on a specific day at a specific time.

#28 Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

• Supporter
  • 4590 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:26 PM

So...the original games. Were they PC only? And what were they like? Anyone play Elder Scrolls 1 or 2?

Arena and Daggerfall are tough as nails.

I never managed to get out of the original dungeon in Arena. Why? Because the original combat system involved you clicking and holding down the mouse button while moving the mouse in the direction you want to attack.

Daggerfall is...ambitious.

This is Daggerfall's overworld map:

bUS6N5m.gif

Each of those little segments can be selected and zoomed into, resulting in a close up map like this:

Dz2PAgX.gif

Each of those dots represent towns, ruins, dungeons, villages, and hamlets. Said towns tend to look like this:

TjK6uGZ.jpg

Oh, and quests are timed. You can literally fail the main quest by not showing up to a specific inn in a specific town in a specific county on a specific day at a specific time.

Holy shit. That's intense. Biggest game map ever?

#29 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18717 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

I think the trade off was that a lot of it was cut-and-paste duplicated and there were a lot of dungeons which were just procedurally generated which didn't always work out well.

nzo8WYb.png

#30 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48070 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:44 PM

Yeah, if you have a quest that will take you into a Dungeon...expect to be there for a few days. Real time, not game time. Game time, you'll likely be there for a in-game month or two. And they are procedurally generated - the game's instruction manual even remarks that you should have graph paper handy to create your own map and prevent yourself from getting lost (WHICH CAN HAPPEN).

Here, this is a 3D map of the game's initial dungeon (The only one not procedurally generated) as created by a mod that 3D maps the dungeons for those who don't want to bother with graph paper:

G8YmSVE.png

That's the starting dungeon.

But yes, the trade off for this huge game world is the area between towns/ruins/etc is a barren wasteland and the actual in-game world looks like this:

SUBjBBJ.png

#31 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26048 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

Wait...I just got arrested for *checks menu* murder? What? I didn't murder anyone. What the? I mean, unless I was in battle and there was friendly fire...I didn't murder anyone. *sighs*

Well, I guess the good side of this is I didn't even have to do the arena thing to get that willing victim in order to serve as my initiation into the dark brotherhood. Of course, I'm not quite ready to join them yet. I'm doing the mages and fighters guilds right now and don't want my infamy to get too high until I'm done with them. But at least I got the invitation without much of a fuss.

But the way the guy talked like I was some soul-less remorseless murdering fiend...IT WAS FRIENDLY FIRE! I still don't even remember where it happened unless it was someone I was fighting beside in the siege of Bruma!
PSN = Caldwin

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#32 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48070 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:07 PM

I remember my invitation to the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion happened when I fought the twins in the Arena.

#33 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 43598 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:49 AM

Every invitation I ever got for the dark brotherhood was friendly fire... sometimes it was actual fire even. :D

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#34 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26048 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

My first Oblivion invitation was in the arena. I forget the name, but it was some orc (damn you autocorrect, learn the word 'orc') that if you do a certain quest, he loses the will to live and just stands there and lets you kill him. Since it was an arena fight, it didn't count as murder and your infamy doesn't raise. But the Dark Brotherhood knows what you did.
PSN = Caldwin

#35 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26048 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:03 AM

One more recommendation quest and I'll finally be able to do the actual Mage Guild quests. These Guild quests are taking far more time in Oblivion than they did in Skyrim. Not sure if that's good or bad. But I really just want to get through the Mage and Fighters guilds so I can do theives Guild and Dark Brotherhood without worrying about my infamy.

Oh, and I have decided that I do not like the leveling system and I totally miss lycanthropy. Still having fun though, don't get me wrong. Oblivion is a great game. Just kinda missing Skyrim at the moment.

I did get the soundtrack off iTunes. <3
PSN = Caldwin

#36 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48070 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

. But I really just want to get through...Fighters guild...  without worrying about my infamy.

Just wait.

#37 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26048 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:54 PM

Meh, I just said to heck with the fighters guild and started up with Dark Brotherhood and the thieves guild. This run through, I really don't have any driving urge to finish the game or even go that far. This whole thing was to simply play a game I haven't played in a long time. The moment it starts getting boring, I'm back on Skyrim.

I killed that prisoner that was locked up across from me at the beginning. Last playthrough I couldn't make it past the guards without being discovered. This time I had a bunch of Skyrim sneaking experience helping me out.
PSN = Caldwin

#38 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26048 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

Oh dear! Between Final Fantasy XV, Zelda and the upcoming Mass Effect, I honestly forgot about my Oblivion run. Whelp, I guess that means I'm done with it. Never even got to the Dark Brotherhood Whodunnit quest either. But if I get back around to Elder Scrolls after my current lineup of games to play, I'll probably go back to my Skyrim werewolf. Oblivion is fun. Anyone who likes Skyrim should probably see if they can find Oblivion cheap. But I miss my werewolf khajiit and her family.
PSN = Caldwin

#39 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48070 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

So ESO managed to flip my Lore Rage switch.

Their newest expansion is taking place on Vvardenfell. No biggie. Except here's the thing - ESO takes place in the Second Era, during the Interregnum the 500 year period of chaos between the collapse of the Second Empire and the Founding of the Third Empire.

ESO is revealing the island of Vvardenfell, and their first video is a familiar setting - Seyda Neen. The Imperial Port that you started the Morrowind game on.

A port that, by all reasonable expectations, should not exist yet. Here's the thing - it's literally 900 years between the events of ESO and the events of Morrowind. That's a long time for a town to exist, but not impossible. That's a INCREDIBLY LONG TIME for a town to have experienced absolutely no growth what-so-ever. The same number of buildings in the exact same layout.

I get ESO is banking on nostalgia, but believe it or not this 900 year doppleganger actually really ticks me off.

#40 Jet

Jet

Runaway Raccoon

• Citizen
  • 24985 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

I feel bad for Bethesda. No matter how good the next TES is, it'll probably end up being compared to Breath of the Wild...

D&D has to report to shareholders. Pathfinder only has to impress its neckbeards.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users