Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

Photo

Elder Scrolls

332 replies to this topic

#21 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24888 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:30 AM

Yeah, I tried to go back and play... one of them, I can't remember which, but it was clunky as hell.  Might have been OK back in the day, but today it's a frustrating nonsensical mess.

Oblivion is weird.  It's a halfway step between Morrowind and Skyrim and feels like the awkward, unloved stepchild in retrospect.  At the time, I loved it, though XD

Patrick Stewart. All other arguments are invalid.

But seriously, it would be nice if at some point they could program these games to learn the difference between accidental friendly fire in the midst of battle and actual murder.
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#22 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42314 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:31 AM

Skyrim still doesn't do it. The best effort I've seen is fallout 4 where the characters just ignore the fact that I shot them cause they crossed my line of fire.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#23 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mummy...?

• Supporter
  • 18245 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

Yeah, the worst feeling during battle is when you suddenly see the number of red dots on the compass suddenly multiply significantly and then everyone is attacking you.

That's usually a call for me to just reset to the last save.  Thankfully it's a Bethesda game so I'm pretty much saving at every turn anyway.

nzo8WYb.png

#24 Doin It To Ham

Doin It To Ham

HAMHOLE

• Supporter
  • 4324 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

The original games are best viewed through a zoo window...

Those look like I would have loved them in the 90s. 

#25 Doin It To Ham

Doin It To Ham

HAMHOLE

• Supporter
  • 4324 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

Yeah, I tried to go back and play... one of them, I can't remember which, but it was clunky as hell.  Might have been OK back in the day, but today it's a frustrating nonsensical mess.

Oblivion is weird.  It's a halfway step between Morrowind and Skyrim and feels like the awkward, unloved stepchild in retrospect.  At the time, I loved it, though XD

Patrick Stewart. All other arguments are invalid.

But seriously, it would be nice if at some point they could program these games to learn the difference between accidental friendly fire in the midst of battle and actual murder.

I love when I'm in a town and a dragon swoops in and I start swinging at it and a STUPID GUARD decides to walk right in front of me, so I'm suddenly fighting a dragon and 50 FRIGGIN' GUARDS. 

Yeah.

#26 Fishbug

Fishbug

Coming out of my can and I've been doing just fine

• Citizen
  • 11935 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:12 PM

I need to get back to my Oblivion playthrough.

Beat it years and years ago as a Dunmer.

Now my Argonian assassin Lurks-in-Alleys needs some love.
25aputg.jpg
#WHERESINJECTOR

#27 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46502 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:05 PM

So...the original games. Were they PC only? And what were they like? Anyone play Elder Scrolls 1 or 2?

Arena and Daggerfall are tough as nails.

I never managed to get out of the original dungeon in Arena. Why? Because the original combat system involved you clicking and holding down the mouse button while moving the mouse in the direction you want to attack.

Daggerfall is...ambitious.

This is Daggerfall's overworld map:

bUS6N5m.gif

Each of those little segments can be selected and zoomed into, resulting in a close up map like this:

Dz2PAgX.gif

Each of those dots represent towns, ruins, dungeons, villages, and hamlets. Said towns tend to look like this:

TjK6uGZ.jpg

Oh, and quests are timed. You can literally fail the main quest by not showing up to a specific inn in a specific town in a specific county on a specific day at a specific time.

#28 Doin It To Ham

Doin It To Ham

HAMHOLE

• Supporter
  • 4324 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:26 PM

So...the original games. Were they PC only? And what were they like? Anyone play Elder Scrolls 1 or 2?

Arena and Daggerfall are tough as nails.

I never managed to get out of the original dungeon in Arena. Why? Because the original combat system involved you clicking and holding down the mouse button while moving the mouse in the direction you want to attack.

Daggerfall is...ambitious.

This is Daggerfall's overworld map:

bUS6N5m.gif

Each of those little segments can be selected and zoomed into, resulting in a close up map like this:

Dz2PAgX.gif

Each of those dots represent towns, ruins, dungeons, villages, and hamlets. Said towns tend to look like this:

TjK6uGZ.jpg

Oh, and quests are timed. You can literally fail the main quest by not showing up to a specific inn in a specific town in a specific county on a specific day at a specific time.

Holy shit. That's intense. Biggest game map ever?

#29 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mummy...?

• Supporter
  • 18245 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

I think the trade off was that a lot of it was cut-and-paste duplicated and there were a lot of dungeons which were just procedurally generated which didn't always work out well.

nzo8WYb.png

#30 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46502 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:44 PM

Yeah, if you have a quest that will take you into a Dungeon...expect to be there for a few days. Real time, not game time. Game time, you'll likely be there for a in-game month or two. And they are procedurally generated - the game's instruction manual even remarks that you should have graph paper handy to create your own map and prevent yourself from getting lost (WHICH CAN HAPPEN).

Here, this is a 3D map of the game's initial dungeon (The only one not procedurally generated) as created by a mod that 3D maps the dungeons for those who don't want to bother with graph paper:

G8YmSVE.png

That's the starting dungeon.

But yes, the trade off for this huge game world is the area between towns/ruins/etc is a barren wasteland and the actual in-game world looks like this:

SUBjBBJ.png

#31 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24888 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

Wait...I just got arrested for *checks menu* murder? What? I didn't murder anyone. What the? I mean, unless I was in battle and there was friendly fire...I didn't murder anyone. *sighs*

Well, I guess the good side of this is I didn't even have to do the arena thing to get that willing victim in order to serve as my initiation into the dark brotherhood. Of course, I'm not quite ready to join them yet. I'm doing the mages and fighters guilds right now and don't want my infamy to get too high until I'm done with them. But at least I got the invitation without much of a fuss.

But the way the guy talked like I was some soul-less remorseless murdering fiend...IT WAS FRIENDLY FIRE! I still don't even remember where it happened unless it was someone I was fighting beside in the siege of Bruma!

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#32 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46502 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:07 PM

I remember my invitation to the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion happened when I fought the twins in the Arena.

#33 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42314 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:49 AM

Every invitation I ever got for the dark brotherhood was friendly fire... sometimes it was actual fire even. :D

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#34 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24888 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

My first Oblivion invitation was in the arena. I forget the name, but it was some orc (damn you autocorrect, learn the word 'orc') that if you do a certain quest, he loses the will to live and just stands there and lets you kill him. Since it was an arena fight, it didn't count as murder and your infamy doesn't raise. But the Dark Brotherhood knows what you did.

#35 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24888 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:03 AM

One more recommendation quest and I'll finally be able to do the actual Mage Guild quests. These Guild quests are taking far more time in Oblivion than they did in Skyrim. Not sure if that's good or bad. But I really just want to get through the Mage and Fighters guilds so I can do theives Guild and Dark Brotherhood without worrying about my infamy.

Oh, and I have decided that I do not like the leveling system and I totally miss lycanthropy. Still having fun though, don't get me wrong. Oblivion is a great game. Just kinda missing Skyrim at the moment.

I did get the soundtrack off iTunes. <3

#36 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46502 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

. But I really just want to get through...Fighters guild...  without worrying about my infamy.

Just wait.

#37 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24888 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:54 PM

Meh, I just said to heck with the fighters guild and started up with Dark Brotherhood and the thieves guild. This run through, I really don't have any driving urge to finish the game or even go that far. This whole thing was to simply play a game I haven't played in a long time. The moment it starts getting boring, I'm back on Skyrim.

I killed that prisoner that was locked up across from me at the beginning. Last playthrough I couldn't make it past the guards without being discovered. This time I had a bunch of Skyrim sneaking experience helping me out.

#38 Caldwin

Caldwin

Cool but crude

• Supporter
  • 24888 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

Oh dear! Between Final Fantasy XV, Zelda and the upcoming Mass Effect, I honestly forgot about my Oblivion run. Whelp, I guess that means I'm done with it. Never even got to the Dark Brotherhood Whodunnit quest either. But if I get back around to Elder Scrolls after my current lineup of games to play, I'll probably go back to my Skyrim werewolf. Oblivion is fun. Anyone who likes Skyrim should probably see if they can find Oblivion cheap. But I miss my werewolf khajiit and her family.

#39 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46502 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

So ESO managed to flip my Lore Rage switch.

Their newest expansion is taking place on Vvardenfell. No biggie. Except here's the thing - ESO takes place in the Second Era, during the Interregnum the 500 year period of chaos between the collapse of the Second Empire and the Founding of the Third Empire.

ESO is revealing the island of Vvardenfell, and their first video is a familiar setting - Seyda Neen. The Imperial Port that you started the Morrowind game on.

A port that, by all reasonable expectations, should not exist yet. Here's the thing - it's literally 900 years between the events of ESO and the events of Morrowind. That's a long time for a town to exist, but not impossible. That's a INCREDIBLY LONG TIME for a town to have experienced absolutely no growth what-so-ever. The same number of buildings in the exact same layout.

I get ESO is banking on nostalgia, but believe it or not this 900 year doppleganger actually really ticks me off.

#40 Lancer

Lancer

I don't care

• Citizen
  • 24781 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

I feel bad for Bethesda. No matter how good the next TES is, it'll probably end up being compared to Breath of the Wild...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users