Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (01 March 2017 - 02:38 PM)

I'm genuinely amused/impressed, even if it wasn't intentional.

@  Benbot : (01 March 2017 - 02:38 PM)

That's a lot of shouting

@  MEDdMI : (01 March 2017 - 02:37 PM)

Wow, Bass, your post took up the entire Shoutbox exactly without being over/under a line.

@  ShadowMan024 : (01 March 2017 - 02:36 PM)

The best Marvel issue is, was, and always will be Decepticon Graffiti. The Battlechargers are awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (01 March 2017 - 02:27 PM)

ReGeneration was criticised for being too slow paced and drawn out way too long, yet the Decepticon leaders are introduced and dispatched just to tick the box that they made an appearance. I also preferred the single stand alone stories from the original Marvel comics instead of each issue having like four different plots running through it, which didn't make for satisfying reading IMO. If a writer is writing for a trade, don't release individual issues. I also thought the artwork was poor - before, the Marvel comics tried to have the best artwork they could at the time, whereas now they were intentionally limiting themselves to appear "retro", and it shows. The pacing was the worst though, some characters just stand around doing nothing to progress their part of the story, like Shockwave's segments. In contrast, compare any six consecutive issues from the Marvel comics and a whole lot more happens than in RG1. Furman also fell into his pattern of wasting space world building and pointless scenes when the story had to end at #100.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (01 March 2017 - 02:10 PM)

Even then, Furman's material never really had a huge toy-push aspect to it, other than "here's new character!"

@  LBD "Nyt... : (01 March 2017 - 02:09 PM)

Considering it was a wrap-up for a story whose toyline had ended anyway, I feel like it worked out well enough. I mean, the last major iteration did play an important part in things.

@  Steevy Maximus : (01 March 2017 - 02:04 PM)

New comics didn't need to shill any toys at all...so there wasn't any push to do weird and different things.

@  Steevy Maximus : (01 March 2017 - 02:03 PM)

The big problem is that stuff like the old comics were produced under the idea of shilling toys...which ultimately resulted in a lot of the weirdness people remember

@  Rycochet : (01 March 2017 - 02:01 PM)

He was hired to write an exercise in nostalgia and that's what he produced.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (01 March 2017 - 01:38 PM)

Speaking of Marvel, finally read the rest of ReGeneration One, thanks to a Comixology sale. I... don't understand the hate.

@  lastmaximal : (28 February 2017 - 09:09 PM)

Works for some, not all. http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Trademark

@  Waspinator : (28 February 2017 - 08:57 PM)

Yeah, making it "Autobot X" seems to be their way of getting around many of those issues with overly generic terms

@  Rycochet : (28 February 2017 - 08:41 PM)

Hasbro would just call the toys Marvel's Thunderstrike or Autobot/Decepticon Thunderstrike.

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 February 2017 - 08:19 PM)

D.C. owns Bumblebee and they've made toys of her, so if a Mattel licensee can share names with a TF...

@  Telly : (28 February 2017 - 07:42 PM)

doesnt marvel own that? i know theyve got the comic character, not sure about the name for toys though. there ever been a thunderstrike figure? would it even be in the same area as a tf name?

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 February 2017 - 07:38 PM)

You know, "Thunderstrike" would actually be a pretty kickass TF name! Surprised it's never been used!

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 February 2017 - 07:27 PM)

Thunderstruck.

@  Waspinator : (28 February 2017 - 07:25 PM)

How about Thunderblust? http://gatherer.wiza...iverseid=157411

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 February 2017 - 07:23 PM)

Or Shockburninator, who turns into a satellite and a dragon.

@  Waspinator : (28 February 2017 - 07:22 PM)

Burninationblastatron

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 February 2017 - 07:22 PM)

It's Thunderblast, but she turns into a wingaling dragon instead of "transforming" into a boat.

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 February 2017 - 07:22 PM)

Thunderburninator.

@  Waspinator : (28 February 2017 - 07:20 PM)

You need to get "blast" in there somewhere

@  ShadowMan024 : (28 February 2017 - 11:26 AM)

THATCH-ROOF COTTAGEEEEEEEEES

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 February 2017 - 03:06 AM)

Only if the packaging looks like a thatch-roofed cottage.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 09:27 PM)

They need to make a dragonbot named "Burninatron."

@  BlackMax : (27 February 2017 - 09:15 PM)

I find upcoming Last Knght's Steelbane sexy. A very Skyrim name for a giant robot who is also a dragon? Be still my heart.

@  MEDdMI : (27 February 2017 - 06:24 PM)

I never found most Hollywood heartthrobs sexy, even if they were around my age. I think I knew even back then that the char they play doesn't reflect how the actor really looks/behaves.

@  Rycochet : (27 February 2017 - 06:11 PM)

The only thing I've seen with Megan Fox in is the Jonah Hex movie... She was bad, but everyone and everything was bad.

@  RichardT1977 : (27 February 2017 - 05:53 PM)

Modern western culture, ladies and gentlemen...

@  ▲ndrusi : (27 February 2017 - 04:50 PM)

Ha! You can't fool a true Z-block afficionado like me! That's actually an S-block viewed from behind!

@  The Doctor Who : (27 February 2017 - 04:36 PM)

*unveils a Tetris Z-Block in moody lighting* Not at aaaaall?

@  ▲ndrusi : (27 February 2017 - 04:27 PM)

That would be silly.

@  ▲ndrusi : (27 February 2017 - 04:26 PM)

Because I definitely wasn't. Nope. Not at all.

@  ▲ndrusi : (27 February 2017 - 04:26 PM)

Am I the only straight male Nintendo fan who was never strangely aroused by the Tetris Z-block?

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 01:28 PM)

Her acting makes her come across as a living Pat Lee illustration.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 01:27 PM)

No. No, you're not.

@  Bass X0 : (27 February 2017 - 01:26 PM)

And am I the only straight male Transformers fan who never found Megan Fox attractive?

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 01:21 PM)

Especially since she's the same age as my parents.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 01:19 PM)

It's like I instinctually knew that by the time I watched the movies, it'd be weird since IRL she was way older than me.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 01:18 PM)

Am I, like, the only straight male Star Wars fan who never had a thing for Leia?

@  Bass X0 : (27 February 2017 - 12:44 PM)

Call the police!

@  Paladin : (27 February 2017 - 08:24 AM)

Kubo got robbed. TWICE.

@  Lazy Garou : (27 February 2017 - 08:10 AM)

god! Thrawn is awesome.he's got super detective skills!

@  Telly : (27 February 2017 - 01:10 AM)

i didnt. not until '83 anyway :thumbsup

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 01:00 AM)

Yeah, that was a hard one to take. So many nerds from '77 on must've grown up having a crush on her

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:34 AM)

I mean, I knew it was coming, but just hearing Carrie say "May the Force be with you" hurt :(

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:32 AM)

They always save the saddest deaths for last in the "in memoriam" sequence.

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 12:30 AM)

I am glad they made the right choice with Best Animated, even if it was a tough call this year.

Photo
- - - - -

Fun Pub Postmortem: Best Exclusives

Fun Publications Exclusives Joy Glee Buckets of paint Expensive

199 replies to this topic

#21 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 34278 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

I never could get past the dinky noggin on that one.

Oh, and I really should add Thrustinator, since 1) It's absurd, and 2) It's a mold that's relatively rare and obscure in its own right.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#22 sparkasylum

sparkasylum
  • Citizen
  • 906 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

But for reals, probably Oilmaster. I don't own it but I've been sorely tempted.

While Oilmaster lacks in someways, it probably is one of their best, or at least one of the biggest accomplishments.

Something I didn't see mentioned already that I really like, maybe didn't use much creativity behind it, and had some mold tolerance issues, but I think the "Universe/Energon" Seacon set is superb. Taking Hasbro's unused deco, but actually getting it produced and making a wonderful giftset box with cut-out windows in great re-creation of late G1 Japanese packaging.

#23 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 1495 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

Never having owned any of it, the stuff I was always most envious of in general was the Neo-G2 releases, like Ramjet, Starscream and Rapido.

Also, Shattered Glass Thundercracker for just...being what it was. And the original Punch/Counterpunch.

Edited by Fear or Courage, 02 February 2017 - 03:48 PM.

#24 Ratchet/Megatron

Ratchet/Megatron
  • Citizen
  • 221 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

Ugh, so many choices.

TFSS Krok.  Utterly beautiful and with his AM partner!

Botcon Kickoff: Love him!

The audacity and obscurity of Oilmaster delights me, but I won't have the mold until TFSS 5.0 ships

I'd go with Krok, and give special mention to The Predacus - love the way he turned out, especially in combined mode.  

#25 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 34278 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

While Oilmaster lacks in someways, it probably is one of their best, or at least one of the biggest accomplishments.

Something I didn't see mentioned already that I really like, maybe didn't use much creativity behind it, and had some mold tolerance issues, but I think the "Universe/Energon" Seacon set is superb. Taking Hasbro's unused deco, but actually getting it produced and making a wonderful giftset box with cut-out windows in great re-creation of late G1 Japanese packaging.

Oh yes, mold rot be damned, getting the Universe Seacons out there was pretty great, even if it was kind of limited.

#26 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 38353 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

TCC Scalor is still Archerbot to me.

#27 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 34278 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

In retrospect, I kind of wish they'd done a little more that, like getting the G2 Combat Hero Prime and Megatron out since the molds still existed, etc.  And the Club members are basically exactly the audience that'd care about that, especially early on.

#28 Twilight Noisemaze

Twilight Noisemaze
  • Citizen
  • 64 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

I joined the Club just to get my hands on Runamuck and Runabout...and almost Nightbeat, but thankfully I held off on that.

Krok and Treadshot are pretty good, as several have noted.  Thunder Mayhem as well.

I do like Timelines Rampage in concept, especially the big X on his chest, but the execution was a little lacking.  That tiny head looks really off standing next to Timelines Depthcharge.

While I'm still undecided on who I will nominate for Funpubs best job, I want to agree with you on Rampage, wonderful figure & concept but boy don't I wish it were voyager mold instead...

#29 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Staff
  • 50276 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:19 PM

I'd have to go with Actionmaster Thundercracker, Krok, and Rapido as my top three.

#30 Vexwing

Vexwing

You are being deceived

• Citizen
  • 2373 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

Seeing multiple people mention Rapido warms my heart. Love that guy.

Love that year in general. The new head sculpts were so perfectly on-point; Rapido, Clench, Sky-byte, and Breakdown are still some of what I'd consider their all-time best.

Edited by Vexwing, 02 February 2017 - 04:32 PM.

Ambus_Sig_Vexwing_Under40.jpg
I'm on Twitter for some reason! Hell if I know why.
@vexwing
www.flickr.com/vexwing

#31 General Tekno

General Tekno

BRUNT; F.C.A.!

• Citizen
  • 1938 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

Nobody's bringing up the excellent Botcon 2011 TFA set? Those were fantastic, in no small part due to having the involvement of people who worked on the show.

Depth Charge is a favorite of mine too.

banner_2015.png

BT Toons - updates Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Blog | Youtube | Twitter | DeviantArt | Tumblr

#32 Aberration

Aberration
  • Citizen
  • 2395 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

The '06 Dawn of Futures Past set remains my most-loved Fun Pub set of anything I've gotten ahold of. I keep it on a shelf on its own, in pride of place.

I feel the same way. My only complaint about that set is that they opted to match the weird coloring of BW10th Dinobot's toy.

#33 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 8322 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:48 PM

G2 Redux is probably my favorite set as a whole, followed closely by Dawn of Future's Past.  DoFP could have used a couple more head sculpts.

Twitter:  @The_Waspinator

http://the-waspinator.tumblr.com

#34 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 15301 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

BEST CHARACTER REPRESENTATIONS:
Clench
Krok
TM3 Megatron
Airazor
Sideburn

BEST UNEXPECTED WACKY STUFF:
Double Punch
Sky Byte
Hunter Shokaract

Edited by Thylacine 2000, 02 February 2017 - 04:51 PM.

#35 tec

tec

Crossblades

• Supporter
  • 25025 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

I never owned any and most likely wont

But there are some exclusives I would have liked dont know what set there from or who made them

The G1 Scrop from Energon Scorp

Cromedome from Prime Wheeljack

G2 Rapido

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

TRY1SIG1_zpseutucm1m.jpg

#36 Chip

Chip

The light which smashes lies!

• Citizen
  • 6257 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

Botcon '07 Thundercracker for being the instigator of so much impotent rage. (And even after the mass release figures, I was able to sell that set for enough money to buy a new computer, so suck it, fandumb)

BotCon 07 happened the summer I got laid off, and it was already paid for before then, and Classics was so utterly uninteresting to me that I didn't have any qualms about selling them. So that was a nice set of exclusives.

By that same standard, SG Rodimus got me more than the trade-in on my 12 year old Nissan and paid for most of a week's worth of day care, so that's a favorite of mine.

#37 Dracula

Dracula

Trade Rat

• Citizen
  • 2854 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:14 PM

Yeah, thinking on it, I have not owned a single Fun Pub item since Botcon '07. 

But I greatly admired that G2 set. Rapido might be the only use of that mold that I actually like!

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#38 OrionPax44

OrionPax44

Can ya feel it

• Supporter
  • 7196 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

The 2014 Botcon set is high on my likes followed by Runabout and Runamuck. If I had to pick one favorite individually it'd be Kick Over.

basscannon_zpspnokpwwm.gifed209%20popping%20caps_zpsxheeeb2p.gif

Can ya feel the beat?

#39 zephyrX9

zephyrX9
  • Citizen
  • 1146 posts
  • Location:London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wbbl.

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

Banzai-Tron, Kick-Off, Cannonball, Bluestreak, the Autotroopers, Shockaract, Treadshot, and Depth Charge ALL rank among my favorite toys to just pick up and fiddle with.

Honorable mentions go to Scorponok and Nexus Prime for being friggin' gutsy, and Ginrai for being delicious.

Dishonorable mentions go to Overlord and Windsweeper for bad QC problems, and to 2014 Flamewar because I hate that mold that badly.
Addendum: BOTH SG and TFSS Treadshots.

#40 Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

I live to serve

• Administrator
  • 8408 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:23 PM

If you put your thumb near the hinge for support, or grab the panel lower, closer to the hinge, it should put less stress on the rest of the panel and greatly reduce the chance of cracking your chrome.

I learned that all way too late though :(

Yikes!  I'm afraid to even look at mine, or touch it at this point.  :doh

Luckily I have both Gigatron and RiD Galvatron so I don't have to transform Megatron.  He just looks so damn beautiful!

I'd also like to add my love for Predacus and Thunder Mayhem.  Considering the club had a directive from Hasbro to utilize more up-to-date molds based off the current releases, their use of the molds, head sculpts, and paint apps were executed extremely well.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fun Publications, Exclusives, Joy, Glee, Buckets of paint, Expensive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users