Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (23 October 2017 - 09:46 PM)

Not sure if it helps because I bought it from Amazon Germany.

@  Arazyr : (23 October 2017 - 01:19 PM)

Cool. Could you share the name and/or link? I'm wondering if I could use one...

@  Nevermore : (23 October 2017 - 12:44 PM)

Good news: Watchmaker tool arrived, I've been able to safely remove the pin, rotate the misassembled piece and reinsert the pin.

@  Paladin : (22 October 2017 - 06:22 PM)

i watched his latest Netflix special. hilarious & heartbreaking at teh same time...

@  RichardT1977 : (21 October 2017 - 12:07 PM)

You know that Patton Oswalt knew he'd made it as an entertainer when people stopped asking him whether he was Pat or Oswald and where was the other one.

@  Shrug : (21 October 2017 - 10:20 AM)

He does lots of voice work, but it was young Oswalt in my dream, so I guess it was the King of Queens edition.

@  Bass X0 : (21 October 2017 - 09:56 AM)

I only know about Patton Oswalt from Transformers.

@  Shrug : (21 October 2017 - 09:11 AM)

We won because Ellen kept going up the other teams and telling them to not worry about their hair looking silly in their helmets.

@  Shrug : (21 October 2017 - 09:10 AM)

I had a dream I was in a team kick scooter competition and the 3 people on my team were Ellen DeGeneres, Patton Oswalt, and my third grade bus driver.

@  WorkbenchManiac : (20 October 2017 - 07:26 PM)

If you are looking to recoup some of the costs, I mean

@  WorkbenchManiac : (20 October 2017 - 07:26 PM)

If it works, I might be willing to take it off your hands. I've been meaning to get one for customs and such.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2017 - 12:34 PM)

If that thing works, I can use it for potential future cases like this as well.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2017 - 12:33 PM)

Ordered a watchmaker pin remover from Amazon.

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2017 - 12:33 PM)

No, bought the set at a convention.

@  Robowang : (20 October 2017 - 08:14 AM)

That's never good. Buy it from a place that will replace it?

@  Nevermore : (20 October 2017 - 04:57 AM)

Gaaaah, Hasbro. My Transformers Tribute Optimus Prime (from the two-pack with Orion Pack) has a misassembled part that has another part connected to it via a metal pin...

@  Robowang : (19 October 2017 - 05:22 PM)

I just know they have the same ID number in the computer as deluxes, so the search feature on the website is useless.

@  Robowang : (19 October 2017 - 05:21 PM)

No idea on price.

@  Shrug : (19 October 2017 - 05:14 PM)

Oh thanks. I just assumed it was a special item. Does that mean it'll be the $18ish the normal Deluxes are or can Walgreens price them separately?

@  Robowang : (19 October 2017 - 05:11 PM)

Before you go hunting at Walgreens, know that the Clone two-pack number is identical to the regular deluxe number. An in-stock listing for the clones likely just means they have deluxes in stock.

@  Vexwing : (19 October 2017 - 04:49 PM)

I had met him at BotCon 2014, he was a vendor there. He was part of the group I hung out with at the day at Universal. Really fun guy, it's sad he's gone.

@  Vexwing : (19 October 2017 - 04:46 PM)

I'm not sure if anyone here knew James Conan Gouig, but he passed away. Suicide, sadly.

@  Locoman : (19 October 2017 - 03:49 PM)

TR Triggerhappy's shoulders are terrifying.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 October 2017 - 03:18 PM)

Don't you hate when you join a Facebook group only to find that the moderator is a fool?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 October 2017 - 03:04 PM)

CRAAAAAAAWLING IIIIIN MY BRAAAAAAAAINS

@  Paladin : (19 October 2017 - 08:34 AM)

must've been out of Kandrona.

@  Shrug : (19 October 2017 - 07:09 AM)

Least it wasn't a weird scratchy noise IN YOUR BRAIN.  Or was it.  Maybe you found it after it crawled out?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 October 2017 - 02:47 AM)

Mine starved

@  Waspinator : (19 October 2017 - 02:16 AM)

Watch out for brain slugs

@  Pennpenn : (19 October 2017 - 01:34 AM)

Got replacements, so yeah. Main thing is, if you hear a weird scratchy noise in your headphones it might not be static..

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 October 2017 - 01:28 AM)

Nuke the headphones from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

@  Pennpenn : (18 October 2017 - 09:04 PM)

It's interesting how life gives you a good thing and then a bad thing. Like, just got my tax return and it was quite robust, and then I found an INCH LONG EARWIG IN MY HEADPHONES. AHHHHH-

@  BlackMax : (18 October 2017 - 05:50 PM)

I'm not completely sure what I missed but I think I love it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 October 2017 - 04:20 PM)

The S is for Sucks!

@  Waspinator : (18 October 2017 - 03:49 PM)

And the thatch-roofed cottagggggggggggges!

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 October 2017 - 03:30 PM)

BURN! BURN TO THE GRBURN! BURN TO THBURN! BURN TO THE GROUND!

@  Waspinator : (18 October 2017 - 03:06 PM)

Infinity Big Bang Storm! Burn in the everlasting hellfire of creation! Be utterly annihilated, down to the very last scrap of D N A!

@  Shrug : (18 October 2017 - 02:57 PM)

YES, MY QUEEN!

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 October 2017 - 02:37 PM)

BUUUUURN! FOR THE ROYALTY!

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 October 2017 - 02:25 PM)

BUUUUUUUUUUUURN, BABY BURN! DISCO INFERNO!

@  Agamus : (18 October 2017 - 01:55 PM)

LETS BERNNNN RRRRUBBER!!!!

@  Arazyr : (18 October 2017 - 01:12 PM)

No, thanks. I'll leave that to his wife. :p

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (18 October 2017 - 01:08 PM)

FEEL THE BERNNNNNN!!!!!

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2017 - 11:52 AM)

BERNIEEEEEEEE...

@  Shrug : (18 October 2017 - 10:47 AM)

I'm not saying they're the same. They're clearly not. But members of both parties do receive large sums of money from telecom companies. When it comes to net neutrality, the issue isn't solely bipartisan so much as it's Old Politicians that don't understand technology.  Republicans do seem intent on making it worse intentionally though.

@  Paladin : (18 October 2017 - 10:40 AM)

anyone who still says "they're both the same!" after the past 10 months is WILLFULLY ignorant.

@  unluckiness : (18 October 2017 - 10:22 AM)

I'm not American. Should I do something about it or just ignore it.

@  Shrug : (18 October 2017 - 08:48 AM)

I doubt we'd have a chance with Hillary either. Didn't she get like 100k from Comcast? Both parties are pretty dang corrupt. If only Bernie...

@  2017 : (17 October 2017 - 05:56 PM)

It scared me!

@  Kalidor : (17 October 2017 - 05:42 PM)

Yes - here is more information - https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Photo

So - Marvel?

98 replies to this topic

#1 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 19923 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:39 AM

As inspired by the "Occupy Avengers" thread...

Due to personal financial issues, I've had to keep to a pretty tight budget. As part of it, aside from the haul I picked up when the local Hastings went bust I haven't picked up a brand-new comic book in almost a year.

Because of this, I'm somewhat alarmed by the fact that 90% of the reviews and comments I'm seeing online about Marvel's actual comics are negative to at least some degree. The complaints I'm hearing range from general "they changed it, now it's terrible" to full-on rants about what the commentator sees as author after author trying to inject real-world politics into something that they feel doesn't need it.

So really: has Marvel gotten that bad?
Lexicon: still up and running!

"At my last intern briefing, Craig was clearly tired. His message had changed to, "Stay out of trouble, period." It seemed that, as director of security, Livingstone was growing old fast. If he didn't watch out, he'd become one of us - a 'Mormon' or a 'straight,' which is what Clinton staffers called FBI agents, the Secret Service, and former Bush employees."

Aldrich, Gary. Unlimited Access Washington D.C.: Regency, 1996. Pg 38

Please visit my Half.com store

Deviant Art page

#2 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 15655 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:00 AM

Not really, it depends what you like/buy but I think they've got plenty of great stuff if you look.

Squirrel Girl is always wonderful. Silver Surfer is wonderful when it comes out. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is really good. Hellcat is cool. Liked the first issue of the Unstoppable Wasp. Unworthy Thor is very good. The first two issues of the new Nova book were great (and have Death's Head).

The new Jen Walters Hulk book had a very well done first issue but I think it's too serious/slow burn for me personally.

Pretty much everyone thought the just finished Vision book was amazing. Lot of folks Love the ANAD Wolverine book.

Tried Champions and it was distinctly "Eh" it wants to be a more politically conscious original New Warriors and I want to like it but all the character have their own books so we're missing the real teen drama and relationship changes.

-ZacWilliam, my feeling is that largely the core Avengers titles have been weak since Hickman left, Xmen has been a bit directionless and anything Bendis writes weak, directionless and boring...

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 02 February 2017 - 02:03 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#3 2017

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 41995 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:31 AM

The buyers aren't happy, there's been a lot of news about sales flagging.

PM me if you're bored!

#4 Broadside

Broadside

THE DOG?!?!

• Citizen
  • 8415 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:33 AM

Marvel's got a lot of good "side books", but its big names range from mediocre to bad. The entire range is also suffering from event fatigue, and there've been some pretty poor arcs in a lot of the otherwise good comics (like Ms Marvel, Ghost Rider and Totally Awesome Hulk).

That said, Nova is literally perfect in every way. Power Man and Iron Fist, Foolkiller, USAvengers, and Ultimates2 (if you don't mind the art) are also excellent.
And generally I'd rather have a bunch of terrible comics and a few interesting ones like Marvel's doing than a full range of decent but boring and safe comics like DC is putting out.

Edited by Broadside, 02 February 2017 - 03:34 AM.

card-rewind.jpg

#5 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 4586 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:30 AM

Marvel is publishing plenty of great stuff, though yeah, I'm feeling pretty over a lot of the big ticket books. If I never read another Avengers book I feel like I'll survive.

Gwenpool is amazing and hilarious. PM/IF too. Nova, yes. I was annoyed to see that brat hogging books that should belong to a real Nova but Sam Alexander has been consistently brilliant from day one. Great Lakes Avengers is superb.

Also excellent: Carnage, which I would never had touched (because who gives a shit about Carnage?! Why does he even HAVE a book?!) until I heard they had brought in the Darkhold and Victoria Montesi. Midnight Sons FTW.

I've been reading most of Marvel's output for decades and I don't know whether it's them or me, but I've never found it harder to maintain my interest. I wouldn't have put it down to declining quality, I assumed it was all on me, but we keep having conversations like this so I'm starting to think otherwise!

Outside the Marvel U, their Star Wars line is almost universally spectacular.

I too would sooner read any Marvel book than go back to the wretched, boring, endlessly mangled DCU. But, Young Animal deserves some praise and outside of Wacky Raceland the Hanna-Barbera line is awesome too, particularly the Flintstones. Somehow.

#6 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Staff
  • 11397 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:05 AM

So really: has Marvel gotten that bad?

Quality in writing is down, quality in art is not. Mediocrity lingers and sometimes good titles disappear, but it's never as bad as comic book fans make it seem. They're a vociferous lot, like fans of anything that has been around for a very long time. I guess.

The big names and ongoings don't really grab me any more. Right now, the Nova and Gamora books are better than decent. I dunno how long a lifespan the Gamora book has, but the art in it is absolutely stunning. Same with the Thanos book, but I don't want it to seem like I'm flaunting my cosmic favoritism.

I also like Squirrel Girl.

• SoS likes this

#7 Broadside

Broadside

THE DOG?!?!

• Citizen
  • 8415 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:18 AM

Thinking about it, I think some of the criticism of the "replacement characters" - while much of it is "comic fans are mostly crusty conservative white guys who hate change" - can be put down to, essentially, the writing being just as bad/mediocre as ever, but without the familiar characters and attachments that could mitigate that. In essence, yes, these comics genuinely do kind of suck, but people are more likely to be forgiving of mediocre stories about characters they know and love than mediocre stories about characters they don't.

card-rewind.jpg

#8 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 19923 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

So aside from Squirrel Girl -

If you could pick *one* title to someone who's been out of it for a while, what title would that be?
Lexicon: still up and running!

"At my last intern briefing, Craig was clearly tired. His message had changed to, "Stay out of trouble, period." It seemed that, as director of security, Livingstone was growing old fast. If he didn't watch out, he'd become one of us - a 'Mormon' or a 'straight,' which is what Clinton staffers called FBI agents, the Secret Service, and former Bush employees."

Aldrich, Gary. Unlimited Access Washington D.C.: Regency, 1996. Pg 38

Please visit my Half.com store

Deviant Art page

#9 Broadside

Broadside

THE DOG?!?!

• Citizen
  • 8415 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

If you could pick *one* title to someone who's been out of it for a while, what title would that be?

For someone who's been out of it for a while?

oFwC9tV.jpg

Definitely Nova.

(I mean, I'd recommend Nova to literally anyone, but you in particular might relate well to this.)

card-rewind.jpg

#10 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 4586 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

Marvel and DC (and everyone) are always trying to copy recapture that original Spider-Man magic, that troubled teen superhero formula that just injects itself into people's hearts and gives birth to some new sensation who will be loved for decades to come. It very, very rarely works, but the current Nova is a case where they seem to have succeeded. And bringing Rich back is only going to make it more fun. 

#11 Broadside

Broadside

THE DOG?!?!

• Citizen
  • 8415 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:20 PM

As a lot of people have observed, Sam Alexander is better at being a "new Peter Parker" than Miles Morales is.

(Which is maybe a good idea for Miles since he should be able to stand on his own, but, uh, they didn't replace it with a lot.)

card-rewind.jpg

#12 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 17775 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

I hear Marvel's padding their numbers for Diamond by shipping more than retailers are ordering. The retailers don't have to pay for the extra books, but they do have to pay for the extra shipping, just so Marvel can say they shipped more than DC in a given month.

Really, this whole list is pretty good.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#13 Johnny Here

Johnny Here
  • Citizen
  • 504 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:11 PM

For someone who's been out of it for a while?

oFwC9tV.jpg

Definitely Nova.
(I mean, I'd recommend Nova to literally anyone, but you in particular might relate well to this.)

Lol @ I hate every thing about yhat sentence.

Me too.

#14 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Staff
  • 11397 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

I picked up Nova #3 yesterday and enjoyed the first two so much that I read them again before the new one.

"Is every super hero twelve now?"

Tee hee.

I also enjoy Mighty Thor, though I enjoyed the 2015 Thor book that gave her the hammer significantly moreso.

#15 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

Run.

• Citizen
  • 21385 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

I'd say Nova is a nice entry point into Marvel right now. USAvengers is pretty goddamn fun, too.

I havent liked Marvel's output much since the end of Secret Wars. The only books I liked spinning out from that were Vision (over now), Squadron Supreme (over now) and Ultimates (over now but continuing in Ultimates2).

Then...nothing apart from Hydra Cap.

I still kept up with Thor because I kinda dug Jane as Thor and I wanted to continue Jason Aaron's Thor epic since Godbomb.

Kept up with Spidey kind of due to obligation since Spidey IS my favorite Superhero.

I think Marvel needs to clean the slate again and get better writers. I don't know what happened with Mark Waid...Champions is just terrible. Which is weird because Black Widow is so good.

Marvel also needs to start focusing on stories again instead of STRAIGHT FROM THE HEADLINES storylines because I believe people are so fatigued from that. Comics are an escape from all that for me. Probably why most of the stuff I like (Nova, Ultimates2, Unworthy Thor, Hulk, USAvengers) are far removed from the issue-oriented series.

#16 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 4586 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:44 PM

Ultimates is great, yeah, and a pretty good place to go if you want a Serious Superhero Book (which is not what's generally being recommended in this thread) that works for dipping your toes into the Marvel U but is also reasonably self-contained. 

The Vision book... I really hate to be that person who's too dumb to get the big new thing, I really wanted to like Vision, but I just didn't enjoy it at all. I'm terrible. 

#17 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2221 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

Thunderbolts is a pretty solid and classic-feeling team book, if you can get past the goddamn bloody hideous Liefeld take-off art.

Seriously, it's like whomever decided Jon Malin should draw it just thought "Thunderbolts was a Nineties book, this'll fit" without doing any research into it.  Busiek and Bagley were trying to reclaim EIGHTIES storytelling with that book initially.

#18 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 4586 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:37 PM

Yes. Thunderbolts is another good one (though I'd rather have someone else in charge). 

I sort of like the Liefeldiness of the art, but it's a puzzling choice. Did they go that way on purpose? If so, why?! Did they not notice? If not, how?!

#19 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

Run.

• Citizen
  • 21385 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:22 PM

Yeah, as much as I enjoy T-Bolts...can we just have Bagley back? I know he's back for the anniversary issue, but Malin's art is the sole reason I don't put it on stuff I like about Marvel.

There's a lot of questionable art at Marvel right now, though.

#20 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2221 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

I do get the feeling that T-Bolts might be on the danger bubble with Marvel.  The solicit to issue # 12 sounds vaguely like a final issue.  Hopefully they just relaunch it as "Winter Soldier and T-Bolts" or something if that's the case.  The letters page does seem to print stuff exclusively from Bucky fangirls.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users