Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Jetstream C-18 : (21 January 2018 - 08:56 PM)

No, Onyx is a snake.

@  Arazyr : (21 January 2018 - 01:12 PM)

Something I only just "got" last night: Of course IDW's GB Blackrock is associated with Onyx Prime. Onyx is a black rock.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 January 2018 - 07:37 AM)

Bet a lot of military people won't want to work this monday. ;(

@  Pennpenn : (21 January 2018 - 07:27 AM)

It seems sort of intuitive for a lot of people because it's the first day in the week that you're working.

@  Nevermore : (21 January 2018 - 04:54 AM)

Germany considers Monday the first day of the week.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 January 2018 - 01:34 AM)

The judge obviously had a more material motive than the one he claimed, there need to be some serious investigation of that case.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2018 - 05:04 PM)

The reason is even worse. :(

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 January 2018 - 04:34 PM)

That moron is a shame to his profession.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2018 - 09:34 AM)

I just think a Judge going on and Jury Tampering, trying to make the Jury think a sex taffiker is innocent is sickening. *won't say why he did that as that goes in P&R*

@  Sabrblade : (20 January 2018 - 09:21 AM)

Heh, the schedules for my work weeks begin with Saturday

@  wonko the sane? : (20 January 2018 - 07:01 AM)

Thing about the US is... you can say that any time you want as much as you want. You're still going to get shot, but it might not be because you said that though.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 January 2018 - 02:20 AM)

You just did.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2018 - 02:18 AM)

Can I just say that right now... I hate the USA?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 January 2018 - 01:34 AM)

There are languages where the days are named for numbers and Sunday is "one". Like Arabic.

@  Pennpenn : (20 January 2018 - 01:31 AM)

Isn't it sort of a religious thing for Sunday to be the start of the week but most people just go with the first day they go to work for the week?

@  unitremover : (20 January 2018 - 01:02 AM)

I feel like I've known plenty of Americans who'd say Monday is the first day of the week.

@  Pennpenn : (20 January 2018 - 12:57 AM)

Personally Monday will always be the first day of the week for me. The notion that Sunday is somehow the first day of the week seems completely nonsensical to me.

@  Pennpenn : (20 January 2018 - 12:57 AM)

I'm fairly sure it is in Australia, but that tends to get blurred because of US influence.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 January 2018 - 12:19 AM)

(It's Sunday here in the U.S.)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 January 2018 - 12:18 AM)

Anyone here live in a country where Monday is considered the first day of the week?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 January 2018 - 08:40 PM)

Maybe?

@  Patchouli Kn... : (19 January 2018 - 08:38 PM)

But do they search barf?

@  BlackMax : (19 January 2018 - 08:38 PM)

Under water, the fish don't stink.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 January 2018 - 07:42 PM)

I read that at first as "Everyone is a fish...."

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 January 2018 - 06:08 PM)

Everyone has a fetish, I guess.

@  BlackMax : (19 January 2018 - 05:56 PM)

I parsed it as "search barf" at first.

@  Nevermore : (19 January 2018 - 05:05 PM)

Robowang nude hiden cam photos

@  Robowang : (19 January 2018 - 02:54 PM)

Oh, hey, that's not the search bar! Whoops.

@  Robowang : (19 January 2018 - 12:48 PM)

reflector camera mode

@  MEDdMI : (19 January 2018 - 12:14 PM)

But did you get a Snowbombcyclopsragnarokdoomstorm like the US NE got last week?

@  Nevermore : (19 January 2018 - 11:40 AM)

Netherlands? We got one hell of a storm here in Germany the other day too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 January 2018 - 01:59 AM)

When that happens in Cocoa Beach there's always someone getting out their surfboard.

@  CORVUS : (19 January 2018 - 12:04 AM)

Damn!

@  Telly : (18 January 2018 - 10:29 PM)

holy hug

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (18 January 2018 - 06:27 PM)

Goddamn look what happened to the Dutch this week.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (18 January 2018 - 06:27 PM)

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/954066379610628097

@  Locoman : (18 January 2018 - 03:43 PM)

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand brick and mortar.

@  siccoyote : (18 January 2018 - 04:31 AM)

Who sings the first part of the GIJoe The Movie theme song? (Cobra) Sounds so familiar.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 10:46 PM)

Also true.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 10:40 PM)

I hate brick and mortar stores around here.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 10:38 PM)

But I like the feel of the brick and mortar search a bit more. And I can see inside packages at brick and mortar. True, Amazon has a good return policy, but I like buying once and settling.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 10:37 PM)

I suppose I could save more if I bought more often from Amazon.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 10:36 PM)

Closest I got to "free" was 30% off warpath, which just about lined him up to the canadian price had he ever shown up around me. The pile of loot saved me a pile, but it was still pricy.

@  Shrug : (17 January 2018 - 09:34 PM)

Yeah, I purposefully waited on them because I knew they'd be perfect "add onto orders to get free shipping" fodder. Already gotten two that way. Technically "free" and I barely had to wait.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 January 2018 - 09:21 PM)

That's how I feel about Prime Masters. Getting back into collecting last year taught me to be patient, which grants rewards most of the time.

@  Shrug : (17 January 2018 - 09:18 PM)

I want Starscream so hard after seeing him in person, but since he's the one being left behind by every other collector in my area, I feel like I can wait for a sale.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 09:09 PM)

I mean: I maybe woulda jumped on starscream if I found a sale or something, but it wasn't a priority.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 09:08 PM)

I only wanted the dinobots (cause... volcanicus.) but got saddled with three I didn't want due to the bundling. I'd still be waiting to order if I had waited on individual figures.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 January 2018 - 08:27 PM)

Ahh.. I just ordered the whole case cause I wanted too. :)

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2018 - 06:49 PM)

Mostly PotP dinobots. Plus some stuff I couldn't opt out of to get those dinobots. And CW warpath... cause he was on sale.

Photo

So - Marvel?

98 replies to this topic

#1 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 20138 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:39 AM

As inspired by the "Occupy Avengers" thread...

Due to personal financial issues, I've had to keep to a pretty tight budget. As part of it, aside from the haul I picked up when the local Hastings went bust I haven't picked up a brand-new comic book in almost a year.

Because of this, I'm somewhat alarmed by the fact that 90% of the reviews and comments I'm seeing online about Marvel's actual comics are negative to at least some degree. The complaints I'm hearing range from general "they changed it, now it's terrible" to full-on rants about what the commentator sees as author after author trying to inject real-world politics into something that they feel doesn't need it.

So really: has Marvel gotten that bad?

#2 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 15857 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:00 AM

Not really, it depends what you like/buy but I think they've got plenty of great stuff if you look.

Squirrel Girl is always wonderful. Silver Surfer is wonderful when it comes out. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is really good. Hellcat is cool. Liked the first issue of the Unstoppable Wasp. Unworthy Thor is very good. The first two issues of the new Nova book were great (and have Death's Head).

The new Jen Walters Hulk book had a very well done first issue but I think it's too serious/slow burn for me personally.

Pretty much everyone thought the just finished Vision book was amazing. Lot of folks Love the ANAD Wolverine book.

Tried Champions and it was distinctly "Eh" it wants to be a more politically conscious original New Warriors and I want to like it but all the character have their own books so we're missing the real teen drama and relationship changes.

-ZacWilliam, my feeling is that largely the core Avengers titles have been weak since Hickman left, Xmen has been a bit directionless and anything Bendis writes weak, directionless and boring...

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 02 February 2017 - 02:03 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#3 2018

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42377 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:31 AM

The buyers aren't happy, there's been a lot of news about sales flagging.

PM me if you're bored!

#4 Broadside

Broadside

Black hole sun/Won't you come/And swallow Cybertron

• Citizen
  • 9149 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:33 AM

Marvel's got a lot of good "side books", but its big names range from mediocre to bad. The entire range is also suffering from event fatigue, and there've been some pretty poor arcs in a lot of the otherwise good comics (like Ms Marvel, Ghost Rider and Totally Awesome Hulk).

That said, Nova is literally perfect in every way. Power Man and Iron Fist, Foolkiller, USAvengers, and Ultimates2 (if you don't mind the art) are also excellent.
And generally I'd rather have a bunch of terrible comics and a few interesting ones like Marvel's doing than a full range of decent but boring and safe comics like DC is putting out.

Edited by Broadside, 02 February 2017 - 03:34 AM.

card-rewind.jpg

#5 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 4914 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:30 AM

Marvel is publishing plenty of great stuff, though yeah, I'm feeling pretty over a lot of the big ticket books. If I never read another Avengers book I feel like I'll survive.

Gwenpool is amazing and hilarious. PM/IF too. Nova, yes. I was annoyed to see that brat hogging books that should belong to a real Nova but Sam Alexander has been consistently brilliant from day one. Great Lakes Avengers is superb.

Also excellent: Carnage, which I would never had touched (because who gives a shit about Carnage?! Why does he even HAVE a book?!) until I heard they had brought in the Darkhold and Victoria Montesi. Midnight Sons FTW.

I've been reading most of Marvel's output for decades and I don't know whether it's them or me, but I've never found it harder to maintain my interest. I wouldn't have put it down to declining quality, I assumed it was all on me, but we keep having conversations like this so I'm starting to think otherwise!

Outside the Marvel U, their Star Wars line is almost universally spectacular.

I too would sooner read any Marvel book than go back to the wretched, boring, endlessly mangled DCU. But, Young Animal deserves some praise and outside of Wacky Raceland the Hanna-Barbera line is awesome too, particularly the Flintstones. Somehow.

#6 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Retired Staff
  • 11525 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:05 AM

So really: has Marvel gotten that bad?

Quality in writing is down, quality in art is not. Mediocrity lingers and sometimes good titles disappear, but it's never as bad as comic book fans make it seem. They're a vociferous lot, like fans of anything that has been around for a very long time. I guess.

The big names and ongoings don't really grab me any more. Right now, the Nova and Gamora books are better than decent. I dunno how long a lifespan the Gamora book has, but the art in it is absolutely stunning. Same with the Thanos book, but I don't want it to seem like I'm flaunting my cosmic favoritism.

I also like Squirrel Girl.

• SoS likes this

#7 Broadside

Broadside

• Citizen
  • 9149 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:18 AM

Thinking about it, I think some of the criticism of the "replacement characters" - while much of it is "comic fans are mostly crusty conservative white guys who hate change" - can be put down to, essentially, the writing being just as bad/mediocre as ever, but without the familiar characters and attachments that could mitigate that. In essence, yes, these comics genuinely do kind of suck, but people are more likely to be forgiving of mediocre stories about characters they know and love than mediocre stories about characters they don't.

card-rewind.jpg

#8 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 20138 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

So aside from Squirrel Girl -

If you could pick *one* title to someone who's been out of it for a while, what title would that be?

#9 Broadside

Broadside

• Citizen
  • 9149 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

If you could pick *one* title to someone who's been out of it for a while, what title would that be?

For someone who's been out of it for a while?

oFwC9tV.jpg

Definitely Nova.

(I mean, I'd recommend Nova to literally anyone, but you in particular might relate well to this.)

card-rewind.jpg

#10 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 4914 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

Marvel and DC (and everyone) are always trying to copy recapture that original Spider-Man magic, that troubled teen superhero formula that just injects itself into people's hearts and gives birth to some new sensation who will be loved for decades to come. It very, very rarely works, but the current Nova is a case where they seem to have succeeded. And bringing Rich back is only going to make it more fun. 

#11 Broadside

Broadside

• Citizen
  • 9149 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:20 PM

As a lot of people have observed, Sam Alexander is better at being a "new Peter Parker" than Miles Morales is.

(Which is maybe a good idea for Miles since he should be able to stand on his own, but, uh, they didn't replace it with a lot.)

card-rewind.jpg

#12 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 17928 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

I hear Marvel's padding their numbers for Diamond by shipping more than retailers are ordering. The retailers don't have to pay for the extra books, but they do have to pay for the extra shipping, just so Marvel can say they shipped more than DC in a given month.

Really, this whole list is pretty good.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#13 Johnny Here

Johnny Here
  • Citizen
  • 531 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:11 PM

For someone who's been out of it for a while?

oFwC9tV.jpg

Definitely Nova.
(I mean, I'd recommend Nova to literally anyone, but you in particular might relate well to this.)

Lol @ I hate every thing about yhat sentence.

Me too.

#14 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Retired Staff
  • 11525 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

I picked up Nova #3 yesterday and enjoyed the first two so much that I read them again before the new one.

"Is every super hero twelve now?"

Tee hee.

I also enjoy Mighty Thor, though I enjoyed the 2015 Thor book that gave her the hammer significantly moreso.

#15 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

Run.

• Citizen
  • 21609 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

I'd say Nova is a nice entry point into Marvel right now. USAvengers is pretty goddamn fun, too.

I havent liked Marvel's output much since the end of Secret Wars. The only books I liked spinning out from that were Vision (over now), Squadron Supreme (over now) and Ultimates (over now but continuing in Ultimates2).

Then...nothing apart from Hydra Cap.

I still kept up with Thor because I kinda dug Jane as Thor and I wanted to continue Jason Aaron's Thor epic since Godbomb.

Kept up with Spidey kind of due to obligation since Spidey IS my favorite Superhero.

I think Marvel needs to clean the slate again and get better writers. I don't know what happened with Mark Waid...Champions is just terrible. Which is weird because Black Widow is so good.

Marvel also needs to start focusing on stories again instead of STRAIGHT FROM THE HEADLINES storylines because I believe people are so fatigued from that. Comics are an escape from all that for me. Probably why most of the stuff I like (Nova, Ultimates2, Unworthy Thor, Hulk, USAvengers) are far removed from the issue-oriented series.

#16 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 4914 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:44 PM

Ultimates is great, yeah, and a pretty good place to go if you want a Serious Superhero Book (which is not what's generally being recommended in this thread) that works for dipping your toes into the Marvel U but is also reasonably self-contained. 

The Vision book... I really hate to be that person who's too dumb to get the big new thing, I really wanted to like Vision, but I just didn't enjoy it at all. I'm terrible. 

#17 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2296 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

Thunderbolts is a pretty solid and classic-feeling team book, if you can get past the goddamn bloody hideous Liefeld take-off art.

Seriously, it's like whomever decided Jon Malin should draw it just thought "Thunderbolts was a Nineties book, this'll fit" without doing any research into it.  Busiek and Bagley were trying to reclaim EIGHTIES storytelling with that book initially.

#18 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 4914 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:37 PM

Yes. Thunderbolts is another good one (though I'd rather have someone else in charge). 

I sort of like the Liefeldiness of the art, but it's a puzzling choice. Did they go that way on purpose? If so, why?! Did they not notice? If not, how?!

#19 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

Run.

• Citizen
  • 21609 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:22 PM

Yeah, as much as I enjoy T-Bolts...can we just have Bagley back? I know he's back for the anniversary issue, but Malin's art is the sole reason I don't put it on stuff I like about Marvel.

There's a lot of questionable art at Marvel right now, though.

#20 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2296 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

I do get the feeling that T-Bolts might be on the danger bubble with Marvel.  The solicit to issue # 12 sounds vaguely like a final issue.  Hopefully they just relaunch it as "Winter Soldier and T-Bolts" or something if that's the case.  The letters page does seem to print stuff exclusively from Bucky fangirls.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users