Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (07 April 2020 - 06:25 PM)

grinding wheel on a dremel and a lot of patience.

@  Darkstream : (07 April 2020 - 06:11 PM)

What do you use to sharpen it? I was debating buying one of those kits on Amazon

@  wonko the sane? : (07 April 2020 - 11:49 AM)

Wasn't the first time. I probably did it one of the times the chain jumped the blade, or when I was cleaning it or sharpening it.

@  Darkstream : (07 April 2020 - 11:38 AM)

Sounds like something I'd do. I always install things backwards first.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 April 2020 - 07:32 AM)

Not while I'm outside working with the chainsaw. If it's working fine: then I don't need it. If it's NOT working; I use hand tools cause there is a job that brought me out there. No time to read.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 April 2020 - 03:07 AM)

You can Google manuals these days.

@  wonko the sane? : (06 April 2020 - 06:06 PM)

I can't. One: we don't know where dad hide the damn manual. Not that he read it either. And 2.) I'm congenitally incapable of reading it, being as I'm male.

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 April 2020 - 01:52 PM)

Lesson learned: RTFM.

@  wonko the sane? : (06 April 2020 - 11:45 AM)

It's time for todays lesson! Did you know there's a wrong way to install a chainsaw blade? I didn't. I thought the damn thing was just blunted, but nope. Backwards.

@  CORVUS : (05 April 2020 - 06:41 PM)

CONTAGION is on my current watchlist. I'm kicking it off with OUTBREAK, and I have a whole lineup of pandemic-based films. I treat this stuff as a fear-innoculant.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (05 April 2020 - 03:52 PM)

My point is that of late, Taiwan's government executed lockdown procedures to great success. Vietnam has done similarly.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (05 April 2020 - 03:34 PM)

Didn't SARS just suddenly stop before it got very far?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (05 April 2020 - 03:24 PM)

*raises eyebrows due to familial knowledge of SARS*

@  Steevy Maximus : (05 April 2020 - 01:43 PM)

It was uncomfortably real in 2011, it's downright scary in relation to the current pandemic.

@  Steevy Maximus : (05 April 2020 - 01:42 PM)

It is, almost to an uncomfortable point.The virus portrayed in that film was FAR more aggressive and fatal than Coronavirus, but the sourcing and spread and impact hit REALLY close to home compared to what we're dealing with now

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 April 2020 - 04:50 AM)

Actually on the subject, I've hard a lot of people refer to a 2011 film called Contagion that they think is relevant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 April 2020 - 01:11 AM)

Ah well, I'll stick to the classic British sitcoms: One Foot in the Grave, Til Death Do Us Part and They Think It's All Over.

@  TM2-Megatron : (05 April 2020 - 12:53 AM)

There's always the original, cheesy as it is

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (05 April 2020 - 12:10 AM)

Dunno... Tonight one of the major networks showed a movie with plagues.. including that listening to their leader causes the first born to die. ;P So nah.. I think the Stand could work. :D

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 April 2020 - 09:18 PM)

That's probably the last thing anyone needs to see, at the moment. Maybe when we get to the end of June/beginning of July and we can venture back out, it might be possible to find some enjoyment in The Stand.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 April 2020 - 02:08 PM)

I suppose the CBS adaptation of Stephen Kings The Stand will be delayed.

@  Rycochet : (04 April 2020 - 11:26 AM)

We'll always be together. Together in electric dreams.

@  Rycochet : (04 April 2020 - 11:25 AM)

Please remember that in these times of social distancing, we'll always be together however far it seems.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 12:41 PM)

It arrived! Yay!

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 11:25 AM)

Given how the virus lasts about 3-4 days on metals and plastics, it's about the only way to go about getting stuff right now. I ordered a monitor mount for my desk and the delivery has been pushed back twice already.

@  Maximus Ambus : (03 April 2020 - 11:04 AM)

He ordered it online, says it was to keep those delivery boys in business. I did the same a week ago with some Transformers Studio Series figures off Kapow. Don't know if it's wise or not considering.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 09:12 AM)

You'd be the first. Everyone else has either been frustrated cause the one they wanted was sold out (like during boxing week.) or rushing to replace something broken.

@  RYNO : (03 April 2020 - 08:53 AM)

I actually walked into a store the other day and just randomly decided to buy at 32inch TV. It was just a Vizio, and grabbed a Mounting Bracket for it. No duress. Just a spur of the moment wanted a TV for my master bedroom.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 07:31 AM)

Conversely: I've never met a person who wasn't buying a TV under duress... so... yeah.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 07:20 AM)

I think I've met maybe two people other than myself who count cables before buying a TV.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (03 April 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Seriously.. HDMI splitters and switches are so bloody finicky, but most tvs don't have enough inputs.

@  Maximus Ambus : (03 April 2020 - 05:09 AM)

Just spent a hour trying to get my brothers new Samsung TV to read his Playstation and Blu Ray player only to find he was using a HDMI splitter.

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 April 2020 - 11:07 AM)

I could never master oral bullshittery. But in my day I was quite adept with the written word.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 April 2020 - 11:32 PM)

You have mastered the art of Bulljive. You must use this power only for good, or entertainment.

@  Sabrblade : (01 April 2020 - 08:58 PM)

This morning, for one of my online classes, I had to give a positive oral presentation about a play that I hated having to watch. I went into it completely unprepared and just winged it. My professor LOVED my presentation and thought it was excellent. She believed every word I said and honestly thought that I enjoyed that miserable play. Best April Fools ever!

@  ▲ndrusi : (01 April 2020 - 10:06 AM)

Happy Everyone Thinks They're A Comedian Now Day!

@  Donocropolis : (31 March 2020 - 05:45 AM)

Who, I might add, has never been photographed together with Byteman. Just sayin'.

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 10:27 PM)

Bruce Wayne's cyberpunk cousin?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 09:27 PM)

Laser Wayne

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 09:08 PM)

Luther Unum

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 07:09 PM)

Or Lee Derwon.

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:51 PM)

Not to be confused with Leader I

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was Leader Uno

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was the OTHER Leader 1

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 March 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Or Sideways.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 05:26 PM)

On the other hand, this is Armada we're talking about. It could have actually been Metroplex.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 March 2020 - 11:08 PM)

Oh yeah, that was Fort Max. My bad.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:12 PM)

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Peritus_Maximus

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Christmas Maximus?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 March 2020 - 01:13 PM)

At least the ozone layer is healing. unless this is a 0.0000000001% thing it's sounds like good news.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - SPOILERS INSIDE

1712 replies to this topic

#1661 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28987 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 03:06 AM

All I know is that Disney didn't buy Star Wars to have merch clutter stores, even at heavy discount.

Force Awakens set the tone for how Disney wanted to expand this. Lean heavily on the OT but push new branding. The Rebellion is now the Resistance, the Empire the First Order, Threepio has a red arm, etc.

Disney assumed they could take what Lucas had done making Star Wars a brand and push it even further. But it hasn't worked. No one wants a Star Wars movie every year. No one wants that and competing with a TV show. Battlefront 2 was an absolute insult to gamers. The merch doesn't sell because none of the new aliens or ships are interesting.

Disney bought this because they saw room for growth but they've instead regressed it. Certainly there's a new generation of fans who like the new films but so far the Disney era is mostly noticed for misfires and over saturation.

When Lucas made the PT, there was a 2-3 gap between each. During that time there were tie in works but these were low key. The original Clone Wars was a promotional micro series. The longer one didn't come until the movies were done and whilst addressing criticism of the prequels wasn't essential to them. Disney however are trying to MCU this canon. Movies every year. Characters appearing who aren't explained unless you watch the TV shows. Movies for opening crawls.

#1662 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17043 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:36 AM

Lucasfilm has pretty much failed to admit they made a bad product with Last Jedi and gone out of their way to make excuses and cause turmoil that makes it appear the fans are toxic when the vrius is actually within Lucasfilm its self.

Wow, imagine that. The studio simply refuses to admit that the number one movie of the year, which grossed over a billion dollars in profit, and was beloved by the critics, was a failure. What are they smoking?

First, no. It didn't make a billion in profit. Like, nowhere close, assuming you're not including merch and similar (which... did not do great). You see, studios don't get to take home every dollar over costs. Theaters take part of it, and there's marketing, and miscellaneous unlisted expenses, even before you get to the lying and cheating to pretend that the film didn't earn anything for tax purposes.

It made a lot of money, sure, but it doesn't help to start with bad data. Renders everything after more suspect.

More than that, though, look at how that money came in. Huge opening, bad legs, which indicates, to oversimplify, that people were excited for the sequel to The Force Awakens, but they weren't so hot on the film that actually came out. And then Solo, the next movie, actively lost money
Star Wars went from being able to make a billion for a movie about a bunch of no-names to not being able to make 400 million for a film about one of the most iconic characters in cinematic history.

This is not what winning looks like. Rather the opposite.

You can't transfer problems from Solo to TLJ, that's not what this conversation had been about at all. Solo represented a complete failure of the SW project: nobody liked the movie or the merch or cares about its future. TLJ was a popular and highly successful film with a huge fanbase that some people disagreed with ideologically.

I agree that the yearly movies are a mistake and are undermining the franchise. SW needs to be an event, a spectacle, with at least 3 years between them, and the "spotlight" film conceit is almost always going to fail; I can't think of a single one I'd want to see. They couldn't Marvel-ize DC, it was a mistake to try to Marvel-ize Star Wars.

#1663 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34707 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:09 AM

Lucasfilm has pretty much failed to admit they made a bad product with Last Jedi and gone out of their way to make excuses and cause turmoil that makes it appear the fans are toxic when the vrius is actually within Lucasfilm its self.

Wow, imagine that. The studio simply refuses to admit that the number one movie of the year, which grossed over a billion dollars in profit, and was beloved by the critics, was a failure. What are they smoking?

First, no. It didn't make a billion in profit. Like, nowhere close, assuming you're not including merch and similar (which... did not do great). You see, studios don't get to take home every dollar over costs. Theaters take part of it, and there's marketing, and miscellaneous unlisted expenses, even before you get to the lying and cheating to pretend that the film didn't earn anything for tax purposes.

It made a lot of money, sure, but it doesn't help to start with bad data. Renders everything after more suspect.

More than that, though, look at how that money came in. Huge opening, bad legs, which indicates, to oversimplify, that people were excited for the sequel to The Force Awakens, but they weren't so hot on the film that actually came out. And then Solo, the next movie, actively lost money

Star Wars went from being able to make a billion for a movie about a bunch of no-names to not being able to make 400 million for a film about one of the most iconic characters in cinematic history.

I think almost everything you say here is true except the last sentence.

I agree with you, at least to an extent, about TLJ.  I was disappointed.  It didn't take things the way I would have liked.  Even after seeing it twice and reading the novelization (which is a bit better than the movie).  And I wish that more people had seen Solo because coming out after TLJ, I think it shows that they don't just want bleak, snarky product moving forward.  I don't think we should expect that that is just how Disney sees Star Wars because they made one movie that way.  But the movie wasn't a failure.  I understand why Disney would be pleased with what came out.  At the end of the day, they are in this for the money and they money came in.  

#1664 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28987 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:36 AM

You can't transfer problems from Solo to TLJ, that's not what this conversation had been about at all. Solo represented a complete failure of the SW project: nobody liked the movie or the merch or cares about its future. TLJ was a popular and highly successful film with a huge fanbase that some people disagreed with ideologically.

I agree that the yearly movies are a mistake and are undermining the franchise. SW needs to be an event, a spectacle, with at least 3 years between them, and the "spotlight" film conceit is almost always going to fail; I can't think of a single one I'd want to see. They couldn't Marvel-ize DC, it was a mistake to try to Marvel-ize Star Wars.

What nonsense is this? There was an initial "Oh my gosh guys, Solo is bad" push but generally opinion has held that it was enjoyable if forgettable. The worst I've heard is people saying that and questioning if we really needed an origin movie for Han Solo.

Last Jedi has been more of an all out war between the people who hate it (who started the fight) and the people who loved it. God forbid you fall in the middle on it because then both sides will insist you fall into the other for not hating/loving it enough. Trying to discuss any single plot point in Last Jedi will get either side looking down their nose at you. "You don't love Star Wars if you like Last Jedi!"  "You're not smart enough if you don't adore Last Jedi!"

Jesus Christ.

#1665 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1816 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:47 AM

Admittedly, I was (over?)simplifying. But realize I boiled my argument down to a pithy one sentence, rather than a thesis.

Now, granted, there are marketing costs and theater owners get a cut. You're absolutely right about that. OTOH, with merch, streaming, home video, and broadcast rights, TLJ will certainly get there. That WASN'T my argument, but if you're going to get pedantic. (Here's a good article: http://www.slate.com...mystified.html)

But my point was that it was a large financial success, and I believe it's a point well made. In fact...

It made a lot of money, sure...

Which WAS my argument. And since you've granted it, my argument remains rock solid. The rest is just getting into the weeds. 

More than that, though, look at how that money came in. Huge opening, bad legs, which indicates, to oversimplify, that people were excited for the sequel to The Force Awakens, but they weren't so hot on the film that actually came out. 

Don't be absurd. You think Disney is losing sleep over the MULTIPLIER? Well, geeze, put a pin in the Avengers franchise, it's DONE. Infinity War only earned a 2.6 multiplier, well worse than the 2.8 multiplier of TLJ. 

If you think TLJ is a financial loser, then you have severe reality comprehension issues. 

Edited by Jim S, 25 August 2018 - 03:29 PM.

#1666 Ironbite

Ironbite

REJOICE! THE KING OF TIME HAS ARRIVED!

• Supporter
  • 28565 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 25 August 2018 - 02:16 PM

Guys I'm not a mod but I have a feeling one will be here rather soon.

Ironbite-I don't want to see this topic locked because we couldn't keep the sniping down to Nerf levels.

xC9l3eY.gif

#1667 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 35615 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 03:48 PM

Did someone say "Nerf?"

2E7nUek.jpg

#1668 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:22 PM

To be honest, I'm wondering what would have happened if TLJ was episode 8.5 rather than episode 8. 

To a lot of people, there was this massive, irreconcilable gap between the end of TFA and the beginning of TLJ. Somehow, the Resistance went from being an organized force to a trio of ships between films with no clear explanation why. 

What I think could have been done? 

Episode 8 proper would open with the Resistance licking its wounds, including a service for Han... which the First Order would have known about courtesy of spies. First Order forces would launch strikes on each memorial service, exercising their own brand of brutality on anyone they encountered. This would be why people would start to abandon the Resistance: fear. Between casualties and a lack of reinforcements, the Resistance's numbers dwindle. 

Luke, meanwhile, is still dealing with his own issues. He saw a manifestation of Snoke approach a young Kylo and moved to strike against it, only for Kylo to think Luke was trying to take him down, causing the start of darkness. Luke's so messed up from this that he wants nothing more to do with the Force, hence how he doesn't find out what's going on until Rei shows up. 

Luke is eventually convinced to train Rei, but it took so long that the Resistance is badly splintered. Leia's command force is down to just three ships and is being chased across space. Poe runs his gambit, taking out the dreadnought and giving the ships an actual chance to escape, but an increasingly unstable Leia can't handle the cost required and bawls him out over it. This sows the seeds of dissent among the crew, as there are those who feel that Leia can't lead anymore. 

Furious over the loss of the dreadnought, Snoke orders the all-out retaliatory strike that blows the main bridge on the command frigate. Leia is thrown into space, and Luke feels her plight. He Force-manifests to save her, but the strain is so much Luke ends up unconscious just like Leia. With Luke and Leia on the disabled list, Chewie and the new characters are on their own in their darkest hour. 

#1669 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34707 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:01 PM

To be honest, I'm wondering what would have happened if TLJ was episode 8.5 rather than episode 8. 

To a lot of people, there was this massive, irreconcilable gap between the end of TFA and the beginning of TLJ. Somehow, the Resistance went from being an organized force to a trio of ships between films with no clear explanation why. ......

I'm just gonna stop you there.  The conflict you are having is not between TFA and TLJ.  It is between your imagination and TLJ.  D'Kar was a fighter base.  They had support  and command people and some star fighters.  And as far as we knew in TFA that was the entire Resistance.  The opening of TLJ reveals not a SMALLER Resistance, but a bigger one.  The First Order came STRAIGHT back to kill them after Starkiller Base.  Before Ben could even get out of medbay.  But the Resistance had 3 bigs ships (that we knew nothing of in TFA) with their own personel and equipment, including Rose and her sister and a squadron of bombers (that we knew nothing of in TFA) and they were able to get the most important bits of D'Kar evacuated before the First Order got there and jump away.

#1670 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9379 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:47 PM

So interesting casting news for Episode IX. Matt Smith is in.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#1671 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 66914 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:03 PM

Got your other Sci-Fi properties (Dr. Who, Star Trek) out of muh Star Warz!

ACItEK8.png

#1672 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12871 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:15 PM

Got your other Sci-Fi properties (Dr. Who, Star Trek) out of muh Star Warz!

Pft. At least two other Doctors are already part of Star Wars. And that's not even counting Peter Cushing!

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 28 August 2018 - 03:15 PM.

#1673 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8161 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:04 PM

He looks alien enough!

#1674 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8922 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:01 AM

#1675 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3809 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:06 PM

So interesting casting news for Episode IX. Matt Smith is in.

I expect his talent will be wasted, much like it was in the last Terminator film, where he was just the avatar for Skynet, so do not get your hopes up for great preformance, it could be they add such a famous British actor to try and get people to go and see the film!

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#1676 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 10020 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:20 PM

I have split Episode IX discussion into its own thread.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#1677 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5668 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:00 PM

The Plinkett review once again makes me question how people so bad at storytelling were handed the reins of one of the most valuable franchises of all time.  In my opinion, TFA broke Star Wars but it was still fixable, but TLJ came in and completely shattered it.  

Edited by Benbot, 30 August 2018 - 01:00 PM.

#1678 Ironbite

Ironbite

REJOICE! THE KING OF TIME HAS ARRIVED!

• Supporter
  • 28565 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:08 PM

That's your opinion.  In the opinion of the studio and the majority of movie going public, it was a huge success.

xC9l3eY.gif

#1679 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5668 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:42 PM

That's unfortunate.  However, we won't really know how much of a "success" it was until we see the next film's returns since attendance of sequels depends on how well people liked the previous film.  

• 000 likes this

#1680 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47274 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:02 PM

Move that goalpost!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users