Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 June 2021 - 02:04 PM)

Fedex sucks

@  tigerhawk : (23 June 2021 - 10:09 AM)

"This never happened to the other fellow." -  One of my fave meta jokes in movies from 007: On her Majesty's Secret Service.

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - SPOILERS INSIDE

1712 replies to this topic

#1541 Ironbite

Ironbite

TIME JUDGED ALL!

• Supporter
  • 29938 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:50 PM

I really hope after 9 we kinda just have a no Star Wars for like 5 years.  Just to give us a breather.  No movies of course but TV shows to flesh out the world.

Ironbite-or something.

xC9l3eY.gif

#1542 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 10099 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:17 PM

"I don't know sweetie. A few years."

[Jaw drops, depression ensues.]

And yet people complain that Disney is putting them out too fast, as if the feelings of children and myself don't matter at all.

When I was a child, three years felt like 30.

I really hope after 9 we kinda just have a no Star Wars for like 5 years. Just to give us a breather. No movies of course but TV shows to flesh out the world.

Ironbite-or something.

What if we get a KOTOR trilogy of films in the meantime?

Edited by Pale Rider, 17 July 2018 - 07:19 PM.

#1543 Ironbite

Ironbite

TIME JUDGED ALL!

• Supporter
  • 29938 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:22 PM

....*spears Pale Rider in half*

Ironbite-NO MORE MOVIES FOR AWHILE!

xC9l3eY.gif

#1544 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 10099 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:49 PM

Not even Rose Tico: A Star Wars Story?

#1545 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 8378 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:33 PM

I hated that Rose Tico movie, it answered so many unasked questions. Did we really need a movie that explains how she got her surname, and reminds us that Star Wars fans are toxic babies? 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#1546 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 10099 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, but that twist at the end with Holdo and Jar Jar made it all worthwhile.

Edited by Pale Rider, 17 July 2018 - 09:11 PM.

#1547 Donocropolis

Donocropolis

Broom broom!

• Citizen
  • 3603 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:44 AM

Yeah, but that twist at the end with Holdo and Jar Jar made it all worthwhile.

Mee-sa you's fadder!

#1548 HellCat

HellCat
  • Citizen
  • 29756 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:10 AM

Rose Tico: A So What? Story.

#1549 ThunderWear

ThunderWear

scoot scoot

• Citizen
  • 1281 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:15 PM

I can only shrug here.  Because all you've said is that there is a discrepency and that me laying out everything that we saw doesn't work for you.  What was the disconnect?  What changed?  When did we ever see Vader being anything other than an enforcer with a nebulous connection to the Emperor, operating outside the chain of command with magic powers that make people reluctant to cross him?  Please tell me what you saw that made you think he was something else at some point.

I mean, I'm genuinely not looking for debate. It's clear in 4 that Vader is Tarkin's pet monster. It's clear in 5 (and 6 and then eventually 3) that Vader is only barely Palpatine's monster, and beholden to no one. It's not like I'm losing sleep over it and it's not like it's impossible to retcon, but it doesn't work for me. I'm more than happy that it works for you.

Stepping in at the end of a conversation, but I just watched 6 last night for the first time in a long time.   At least in dialogue, Vader's relationship with Palpatine is a little weirder than I remember.  Palpoutine says "friend" a lot and it makes me appreciate how his fall in 3 went a little bit more, but Papa Palp basically talks like Vader isn't in the room.  It felt odd to me that Luke's dad is standing right there and the conversation keeps barely not saying Vader has to do whatever Palpabalp tells him do because something something darkside.

I was literally just thinking about this last night, so when I step in here and the conversation is kind of along the same lines I just wanted to put in my two cents.

Edited by Shrug, 18 July 2018 - 05:18 PM.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#1550 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49697 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

I know in Empire, the reason the Emperor refers to "the son of Skywalker" is - according to Lucas - because Darth Vader had completely consumed Anakin's personality, and thus that Vader killed Anakin was true (from a certain point of view). It's weird and twisty, but Siths gonna Sith so whatever.

In Jedi, it was the Emperor's cackling lunacy that helped push Vader back to the right side.

Though speaking of that push, something I thought was well done and in the spirit of the films:

Along the same vein:

It really does help you appreciate the acting, especially with Obi-Wan. The facial expressions match the memories, which may be part of what Lucas was trying to accomplish with the Prequels. I'm as guilty as any for ragging on them, but since Lucas quit the franchise for reasons already covered, I've tried to stop ragging on them quite like I used to.

It helps Episodes II and III are actually very watchable - if flawed - films. Episode I is pretty unsalvageable though.

Edited by Rust, 18 July 2018 - 06:04 PM.

#1551 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 37433 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:11 PM

I know in Empire, the reason the Emperor refers to "the son of Skywalker" is - according to Lucas - because Darth Vader had completely consumed Anakin's personality, and thus that Vader killed Anakin was true (from a certain point of view). It's weird and twisty, but Siths gonna Sith so whatever.

That does at least track with why he started using Hayden as Anikin's spirit form rather then the previous guy.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#1552 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1635 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:15 PM

It helps Episodes II and III are actually very watchable - if flawed - films. Episode I is pretty unsalvageable though.

You've confused Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace, I think.
You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

#1553 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11467 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

The real shame is Sir Alec Guiness thought Star Wars was his worst role ever, but was the only one he got remembered for.

#1554 ThunderWear

ThunderWear

scoot scoot

• Citizen
  • 1281 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:43 PM

After rewatching 1 - 6 for the first time in over a decade along with my wife who hadn't seen any of them, I've found that I'm a decently big fan of Ep1.  Felt like I was ten, watching it in theaters again. 

Something about watching them all with someone else's eyes let me appreciate Star Wars for the first time in a long time.  She has no preconceived notions on how to feel about any of them.   I'd let the fandom's hate of the prequels and insistence that the original trilogy is a serious epic about war leave me bitter and unhappy with the franchise as a whole.  They're fun space adventures with laser swords and jokes and cute robots.  

I like Star Wars again because I stopped letting anyone else tell me how I should like it. 

Anyway...

My wife knew from cultural references that Darth was Luke's dad but didn't specifically know that Anakin was Darth.  So we did prequels first.  I was hoping to get to Episode 3 before she figured out Anakin's fall, but she figured it out the first time the flirting got creepy with Padme in Episode 2. 

It roughly went:

Wife: "His smile is creepy.  Bad guy creepy."

Padme:  That is exactly what we do. The trouble is that people don't always agree. In fact, they hardly ever do.  

Anakin:  Then they should be made to.  
Wife: "Oh snap, Skywalker.  He's Luke's creepy dad.  He turns into the bad guy, doesn't he?!"

Edited by Shrug, 18 July 2018 - 08:45 PM.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#1555 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 9558 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:59 PM

can i get a version of the films with those put in? i really like those. they actually make those scenes sadder, especially vaders. its like hes remembering WHY he went to the dark side in the first place and is all "i couldnt save padme, but im damn sure saving my son!"

Edited by Telly, 18 July 2018 - 11:00 PM.

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#1556 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 10099 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:24 PM

The prequels really missed an opportunity to establish Tarkin's status as one of Palpatine's most valued political allies and provide some weight to his death in ANH. His character should have had at least as much development as Bail Organa's.

The recent comics have really expanded on Tarkin's relationship with Vader.  The Emperor even outright tells Vader in no uncertain terms that Tarkin is his boss.  There's also this...

#1557 Dracula

Dracula

Disc 1 Final Boss

• Retired Staff
  • 4849 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:18 PM

After rewatching 1 - 6 for the first time in over a decade along with my wife who hadn't seen any of them, I've found that I'm a decently big fan of Ep1.  Felt like I was ten, watching it in theaters again. 

Something about watching them all with someone else's eyes let me appreciate Star Wars for the first time in a long time.  She has no preconceived notions on how to feel about any of them.   I'd let the fandom's hate of the prequels and insistence that the original trilogy is a serious epic about war leave me bitter and unhappy with the franchise as a whole.  They're fun space adventures with laser swords and jokes and cute robots.  

I like Star Wars again because I stopped letting anyone else tell me how I should like it. 

A good take. Thanks for sharing it. 

I've come around on the prequels after years of disliking them. It's sort of like enjoying early G1 fiction - you take what's good from it and try to make something of the bad. A reading on the prequels (also, Star Wars generally) that I really enjoy comes from this video. Even better, its thesis is more or less supported by TLJ, which came out after this video, so it makes rewatching them all the better. 

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#1558 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 2138 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:14 AM

A good take. Thanks for sharing it. 

I've come around on the prequels after years of disliking them. It's sort of like enjoying early G1 fiction - you take what's good from it and try to make something of the bad. A reading on the prequels (also, Star Wars generally) that I really enjoy comes from this video. Even better, its thesis is more or less supported by TLJ, which came out after this video, so it makes rewatching them all the better. 

When I did the big 1-6 rewatch before TFA, my partner had literally only seen half of the films. She had a deep love for Phantom Menace due to having seen it in theatres at a very young age, even dressing as Queen Amidala for Halloween. Seeing it through her perspective as her original Star Wars made me like it a lot more.

Really, my only beefs with it during that viewing were that it needed an edit to be shorter in general, and that Jar-Jar, rather than being annoying, basically just served no narrative purpose between departing and returning to Naboo. Besides that, I was like, y'know, this is alright.

Edited by Fear or Courage, 01 August 2018 - 08:16 AM.

#1559 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3627 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:54 AM

The ONLY reason Jar Jar annoyed me is because my brother immediately latched onto him, as I knew he would, and if I ever laughed once at his antics I'd never hear the end of it. Being able to kill him in Lego Star Wars was more satisfying than I'd expect most got out of it ("yeah, bro, you can totally have the defenseless Gungan...")

Jar Jar was actually enjoyable in Clone Wars, given I was able to watch that just by myself.

#1560 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 69054 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:42 AM

I find 'lil Annie to be more annoying in The Phantom Menace than Jar Jar.

ACItEK8.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users