Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Echowarrior : (06 May 2021 - 08:56 PM)

Best of luck, Nevermore.

@  wonko the sane? : (06 May 2021 - 10:18 AM)

Best of luck man.

@  electricidad : (05 May 2021 - 03:22 PM)

GOOD LUCK, NEVERMORE!

@  Nevermore : (05 May 2021 - 03:14 PM)

The election committee whose chairman I am has been preparing this election since February. There's no real gain for me either way, so I don't care that much for the outcome, but it's going to be a stressful day for me either way.

@  Nevermore : (05 May 2021 - 03:13 PM)

Wish me luck. Tomorrow is this year's supervisory board election at my workplace, and I'm the guy in charge of organizing the election.

@  tigerhawk : (05 May 2021 - 01:30 PM)

I have two Overlords one was faulty with a melted foot and they never took it back but replaced it, I just checked the guns, both the handles seem to be turning white.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 May 2021 - 07:38 PM)

REVELATION! Towering war machines more durable than nerd!

@  Telly : (04 May 2021 - 07:18 PM)

pansy. my trypticon AND scorponok took a header from 4 feet up and only had parts pop off that were easily reattached. guess 'cons are tougher...

@  tigerhawk : (04 May 2021 - 04:03 PM)

My TR Perceptor fell and the titan master peg in the leg snapped off. Fortunately I have the Legends one.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 May 2021 - 08:50 PM)

It's a fairly well known fact that "it's a wonderful life" only became popular after it dropped into the public domain. So, yeah, they probably did.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (02 May 2021 - 08:29 PM)

I read an interesting observation on Twitter. If it is the natural course of a human to grow into Grandpa Abe yelling at a cloud, but nostalgia also yields rose-tinted glasses for the likes of one's youth, then did Greatest Generation adults bemoan how Baby Boomer children loved box office flops such as The Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful Life?

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 May 2021 - 09:54 AM)

You’re traveling down a rabbit hole I dare not follow

@  Otaku : (02 May 2021 - 09:26 AM)

At the same time, with my almost non-existent knowledge of Japanese and how oddly some things translate, seeing "Gorgeous Giorgios Gorges" made me wonder if that would make it "JoJoJo"... which now has my brain terrified of a weird Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo/Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Crossover. @[email protected]

@  Otaku : (02 May 2021 - 09:24 AM)

It is always weird when things align.  This talk of Gorgeous Giorgios Gorges in the SquawkBox reminded me of King Gorgeous Gorge on the FoxBox.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 May 2021 - 08:52 PM)

Nice

@  Nevermore : (01 May 2021 - 09:03 AM)

I got one even better: After that character by the name of Gorgeous Giorgios dies in a gorge, they name that whole area after him: The Gorgeous Giorgios Gorges.

@  tigerhawk : (30 April 2021 - 01:56 AM)

Paint apps did slide notably during TR, wave one's Titan Masters had detail but wave 2 onwards was absent of them. Wave 5's Ramhorn, Dreadnaut, Scorchfire and Aimless had detail but Murk and Hazard didn't, can't speak for Flameout as I got Legends Twintwist and Slugslinger.

@  kizudarake : (29 April 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Anyone here got any g1 jet fire parts for sale?

@  wonko the sane? : (29 April 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Other than a few overly tight joints, the paints apps are my single complaint about the generations line.

@  tigerhawk : (29 April 2021 - 02:25 PM)

I just saw Legends Leo Prime now I wish Titans Return Alpha Trion had a few more paint apps for ship mode.

@  walruslaw : (28 April 2021 - 09:33 PM)

dagrimbo

@  CORVUS : (27 April 2021 - 08:11 PM)

Indeed.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (27 April 2021 - 04:59 PM)

CORVUS: considering that reply, I'm pretty sure this was just another instance of Bass posting poorly-defined drivel as if it were profound.

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 April 2021 - 04:24 PM)

Given the last year and a half or so, is it any surprise?

@  Bass X0 : (27 April 2021 - 04:12 PM)

People are snapping already it seems.

@  Kaon : (27 April 2021 - 12:15 PM)

I like the Shattered Glass Megatron's alt mode

@  CORVUS : (26 April 2021 - 07:30 PM)

I'd like to know what society he's talking about, and what qualifies as "nothing", TBH.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 April 2021 - 05:09 PM)

I don't see the point in such a poorly defined "everyone is terrible" statement. He's not complaining about any specific people or specific problems.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 April 2021 - 05:06 PM)

I do not see anything about Bass's comment that felt a need for you to attack him.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 April 2021 - 04:35 PM)

Bass: does that "everyone" include yourself or are you just trying to act like you're better than everybody without actually proving anything?

@  wonko the sane? : (26 April 2021 - 04:10 PM)

Mostly it's "oh, don't say that right now" and "better learn when to duck".

@  Bass X0 : (26 April 2021 - 04:05 PM)

There's something to be said about society when everyones just an inch away from snapping over nothing.

@  Steevy Maximus : (26 April 2021 - 02:17 PM)

WalMart is a cruel mistress. Today she runneth over...tommorrow, she'll be barren as a desert.

@  -LittleAutob... : (26 April 2021 - 12:21 PM)

I love Wal-mart now- They have way more Transformers figures than Target- last night I came home with a WFC Authentic Wheeljack even though I was torn between wanting TFP Arcee and TF: The Movie Blurr, two figures I have never ever seen before-

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 April 2021 - 10:29 AM)

Spelling intended lol

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 April 2021 - 10:29 AM)

Curious Geogore

@  NotVeryKnightly : (25 April 2021 - 07:54 AM)

"My name is Giovanni Giorgio, but everybody calls me Giorgio"

@  MEDdMI : (25 April 2021 - 07:52 AM)

New JoJo villain, GoGio

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 April 2021 - 07:52 AM)

Is this a Jojo?

@  Nevermore : (25 April 2021 - 06:49 AM)

Now I suddenly have a character with the name "Gorgeous Georgios" in mind.

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 April 2021 - 04:00 PM)

H A -

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2021 - 01:58 PM)

Saint Georgios Day?

@  Donocropolis : (23 April 2021 - 06:59 AM)

more like Saint GORGEOUS Day.

@  tigerhawk : (23 April 2021 - 04:59 AM)

Saint Georges Day.

@  Sabrblade : (21 April 2021 - 11:55 PM)

Glenn Morshower would agree. He goes to auditions with his shoes full of syrup.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 04:28 PM)

Please, maple syrup can only improve alot of content.

@  Donocropolis : (21 April 2021 - 03:33 PM)

Well, not release it into Canada, no. You'd just get maple syrup all over it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2021 - 03:21 PM)

what bothers me most about Canadian rights is that, oftentimes, the rights holders for certain content don't even seem to have any interest in releasing it

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 April 2021 - 10:46 AM)

It'd be mostly the same even in a world with global copyright law, since even the shortest terms are very long.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 10:39 AM)

You got me, I just want to watch cartoons without having to pirate them for once.

Photo

The Democratic Party Thread: Don't Manchin That Name

3720 replies to this topic

#1 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36654 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

I figured we could use a new catch-all thread for news and information regarding Democrats and their internal party struggles.

First off, Vox has an interview with Keith Ellison.

Here's his thoughts on down-ballot races:

Why have Democrats lost so much down-ballot strength during Obamas presidency?

Ezra Klein

We're talking a night after President Obama gave his farewell address. Last I looked at Obama's polling, which was a day or two ago, he's at 56 percent [popularity]. He's leaving office a very popular president.

Keith Ellison

He sure is.

Ezra Klein

He's more popular than Ronald Reagan was when he left office. At the same time, over the past eight years, Democrats share of seats in the US Senate has fallen from 59 to 48. They've lost 62 House seats, 12 governorships, and, this is the number that I keep getting caught up on, 958 seats in state legislatures. Why do you think that is?

Keith Ellison

I think the reason that we've had those losses is because the DNC is viewed more as a presidential campaign apparatus rather than a program or an agency designed to get Democrats elected up and down the ballot all the time. The DNC really should be the instrument for the rank-and-file Democrat all over the country in Idaho, in Chicago, in Minneapolis, in Florida. But we treat it like it's not the Democratic National Committee; we treat it like it's the Democratic Presidential National Committee. Because of that, we have not really had the outreach and the door knocking and the engagement year-round that we need to have. That's too bad.

The thing is that before 2008, we had the 50-state strategy, and that is in fact still pretty popular among DNC members. As you notice, we did pretty well in 2006; we did pretty well in 2008. I think that's because we still had enough connectivity in place from that 50-state strategy, but as time wore on, the tremendous popularity of Barack Obama, his amazing rhetorical skills, his just unparalleled ability to explain things and to inspire people really is the fuel that we lived on. Because of that, we lost a lot.

At the same time, Republicans made some strategic decisions. ... There are articles before 2010 where Karl Rove is saying, "We've got this new thing called Maptitude, or this new software that's helping us identify places of opportunity. We're going to be going into the small towns. We're going to Erie, Pennsylvania. We're going to Peoria, Illinois. We're going to get competitive at the very local level."

Also there was massive investment by the Koch brothers. As we were focusing on our champion, President Obama, the other side was actually thinking creatively about how they can really dominate on the state level and on the local level. Those two things together gave us some unprecedented losses. I'm going to tell you though, Ezra, we can come back. We absolutely can. We just have to refocus our game plan, but if we do, 2018 and 2020 can be years of great promise.

Ezra Klein

I'd like to hear about that. I'd like to be very specific and operational, mechanical, because I think thats something that gets lost when we talk about the DNC chair race. You're running for DNC chair.

Keith Ellison

Yes, I am.

Ezra Klein

It is being understood and covered as an ideological contest. I think thats fair to say.

Keith Ellison

That's too bad, though.

Ezra Klein

It's an operational position more than an ideological position. That's what I wanted to talk about. What are the levers you have as DNC chair to pull? What are the mechanisms you think would work here? What literal policies would you change from how the DNC works now that would make it less the Democratic Presidential Committee and more the Democratic National Committee?

Keith Ellison

Well, first thing is, if I win, right away we're going to start with an attitudinal change around turnout. Voter turnout has got to be something that is on the mind of every rank-and-file Democrat, every Democratic officeholder. We must, in terms of turnout, think in terms of expanding the electorate beyond the people who are the likely voters in the swing states. Turnout has got to be key.

When I was elected in 2006, my district had the lowest turnout in the state of Minnesota. Now it's the highest, and it's consistently the highest. One of the reasons why is because we focus on turnout 365 days of year.

Ezra Klein

When you say you focus on it, what do you specifically do?

Keith Ellison

We have an apartment program. We found out that you if knock on a door one day and you come back in a year, there's a 50/50 chance that person doesn't even live there anymore. If you don't go there except for election time, there's an even greater chance a 50 percent chance of a 50 percent chance after two years.

There are hundreds of apartment buildings in the Fifth Congressional District. I've got staff that identified all of them that have more than around five or six units. Then we make contact with the managers of all of them. We got captains in them. Then in the off year, we knock them. We have meetings there. Then when some people don't want to be bothered, that's why they live in an apartment, the management will be able to tell them, "The politicians are going to be knocking today, so if you don't want them to knock, put up a sign on your door."

The other thing we do in every year off year is a massive summer knock. We knock all year round, but we have a special, massive summer knock, where we get a whole bunch of college students and pair them with our paid staff. Last summer, in 2015, we had 9,000 conversations. It took us about 30,000 tries to get those 9,000 conversations, but we collected data. We cleaned up our list. We got back in touch with people. We sent them an important signal, which is that we don't just care about you when we want your vote. We care about you and want to have an ongoing, durable relationship with you. That kind of thing people remember.

Then, of course, we would do a lot of things in between, regular pizza parties, coffee klatches. I have the biggest Labor Day picnic in Minnesota. We have a get-out-the-vote concert with our rap community right before the election.

The real idea is not the big events. The real idea is the canvassing, the door knocking, the calling. Then the other thing we do is we continually ask people to help us. We're asking people, "There's a vote coming up. What do you think? There's a vote coming up. What's your opinion? Sign up on this petition. Sign up on that petition." People are constantly feeling like they're partnering with me as the member of Congress from their district.

That's why not only do I win with a high percentage my predecessor won with a high percentage but I don't even care about the percentage. I care about the raw numbers that we are turning out. When I first got into office, I had 150,000 votes. Now if we don't get 250,000 votes, we feel disappointed. Because we got 250,000 this year and we got 262,000 in 2012.

There are no statewide Republicans in Minnesota. Not any, not one. Amy Klobuchar, Al Franken, Democrats. Mark Dayton, our governor, Democrat; Attorney General Lori Swanson, Democrat. We don't have no statewide Republicans. We used to. You remember Tim Pawlenty, who used to be the governor, and you remember Norm Coleman. Why can't a Norm Coleman or a Tim Pawlenty get back into statewide office? Because in the Fifth Congressional District, we spike the vote so high they cannot get in.

I'll give you another example of what I'm talking about here. Steve Simons the secretary of state for the state of Minnesota. When he ran in 2014, he was the only incumbent. The Republicans put a lot of energy into that, because they figured if they can beat him, that would be their chance to win a statewide office. They actually did beat Steve in five of eight congressional districts, but we beat them so bad in the Fifth Congressional District that we still won. That's the kind of thing that we do.

In 2014, voter turnout statewide decreased in the state of Minnesota from 2010, hitting a 70-year low. In my district, we increased turnout by 3 percent in 2014. Even in down years, we're going up. It's the only congressional district in Minnesota, the fifth district, where voter turnout grew between 2010 and 2014. That's what we're doing, and that's why I think I need to be the DNC chair.

Ezra Klein

Those are very impressive numbers, and particularly the point about 2014 turnout increasing in your district. That's an achievement. But you keep saying the word "we." I recognize that you mean your campaign staff, all your volunteers, the college kids. But in your congressional district, what is being organized around is you. In American politics in general, one reason presidential years have so much higher turnout than midterm years, to say nothing of non-election periods, is that people find it easier to connect with the presidential candidate.

Neither political party in the country is actually a popular institution. People don't like Republicans. They don't like Democrats. Right now we have the highest share of independents as a share of the electorate that we've basically ever had. How do you create that connection, then, on behalf of an institution? How do you give people something they connect to when it's not Keith Ellison, this nice guy who maybe knocked on your door a couple of years back, but it's the Democratic Party?

Keith Ellison

We give them the personalities. For example, we're going to be doing regular live streaming straight to Democratic rank-and-file members, which is something we're not doing now. Who are we going to give them? We're going to give them Elizabeth Warren and Cory Booker and all these engaging personalities. We're going to give them Cedric Richmond. We're going to give them Barbara Lee. We're going to give them those people that they watch on the TV shows and love and want to hear about. We're going to give them the union president in Indiana who stood up to Donald Trump.

Here we live in the age of Trump. This guy, the most misogynistic candidate, beats the first woman candidate. This is devastating to women in this country, and men too, but we're going to feature women in these live casts and talk about equal pay, access to reproductive care. Talk about how the economic fortunes of a family are directly connected to reproductive access and the Hyde Amendment.

We have to face the facts that the Republicans have out-organized us. They simply have. I know it's true because I got a good friend of mine who was a Republican, now a Democrat. She's a city council member in Northfield, Minnesota. She will say, "Man, when I was Republican and I was a city council member, they connected me. I was part of this. I was part of that. I was on calls. I got data. I got talking points. Now that I'm a Democrat city council member, I feel better about my soul because this is what I believe in, but you guys don't stay that closely in touch with us."

My thought is that's the challenge. We've got to match them organizationally, and then we put some of these dynamic personalities in front of people. People will begin to think, when they think Democrat, they're thinking Franklin Roosevelt. They're thinking Hubert H. Humphrey. They're thinking Barack Obama, who has 57 percent approval rating. That's the thing. I don't think we feature our people well enough.

Edited by Patch, 27 March 2021 - 08:46 AM.

#2 Ironbite

Ironbite

TIME JUDGED ALL!

• Supporter
  • 29873 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

OH man that's a lot of good shit right there.  But he's been critical of Israel so we need to drop him like a hot tamale.

Ironbite-cause you know....reasons.

xC9l3eY.gif

#3 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1776 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

I don't have a pony in the DNC fight, other than my vote is behind whoever the hell has a working plan to make Democrats not total non entities in off years / stare elections. That's job #1, and I don't give a fig if you're a Sanders democrat or a Clinton democrat. Job #1. Get it tattooed to your eye lids so that it's the last thing you see before drifting off to sleep. State Houses. State govts. We do not build a bench without those things.

Otherwise, I'm at the point where I want the damned Primary to stop. Clinton lost where it mattered. Sanders would have lost as well. Figuring out a way to bring the DFHs and Center-lefties together is job #2. You don't fight Republicans when you are too busy fighting yourselves.

Job 3 is the big one: Fight. Win.

~Marduk

#4 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11442 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

The alt-write in me is disappointed that the thread title didn't make clever use of a semicolon.

Edited by Glenn, 19 January 2017 - 06:40 PM.

#5 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*angry horse noises*

• Administrator
  • 42227 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

Cory Booker

*buries face in hands and moans*

B5ofTKU.jpg

#6 Cyoti

Cyoti
  • Citizen
  • 1184 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

Otherwise, I'm at the point where I want the damned Primary to stop. Clinton lost where it mattered. Sanders would have lost as well. Figuring out a way to bring the DFHs and Center-lefties together is job #2. You don't fight Republicans when you are too busy fighting yourselves.

I don't think there is a way. The last person capable of doing this was Barack Obama and he just rode into the sunset. But sadly much of the post-New Deal coalition history of the Democrats is basically these two sides trying to duke it out and losing to the Republicans because of in-fighting and animosity between these two sides.

#7 Anonymous X

Anonymous X
  • Citizen
  • 3538 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

Here's a good campaign slogan that you can have for free: "Make American Non-fascist Again!"

#8 Blacknife

Blacknife

Never heard of it; never will

• Citizen
  • 6074 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:42 PM

Ctrl-alt-delete

#9 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*angry horse noises*

• Administrator
  • 42227 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:13 PM

Clinton: 'I'm ready to come out of the woods'

http://thehill.com/b...ady-to-come-out

No. NO. NO.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#10 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6641 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

Chelsea's old enough to meet the age requirement. Clinton/Clinton 2020!

Seriously, I had hoped if nothing else (literally nothing else) positive came out of a Trump victory, at least we might see the deaths of the Bush and Clinton political dynasties.

#11 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8696 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

No. NO. NO.

#12 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49546 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

No. NO. NO.

#13 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 14168 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

I'd vote for SOCKS Clinton if it would get us out of this hugging quagmire. 

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#14 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49546 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

There's an argument to be made that it's thanks to Clinton's stranglehold on the Democrat party that we're in this quagmire to begin with.

#15 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

And we're back to meh

• Administrator
  • 35310 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

I'll give that a meh until I see what she does once out of the woods. There's a place for Hillary Clinton in the world - it just isn't as the top party leader and damn sure not as a 2020 nominee. But if she wants to, I don't know, go back to their Foundation and help a ton of people or raise money for mid-terms or something like that I don't see a reason to care. Al Gore went on to do great things raising climate change awareness after losing. John Kerry went on to a pretty decent run as Secretary of State. I'm not sure why she has to go away forever.

#16 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44696 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

There's an argument to be made that it's thanks to Clinton's stranglehold on the Democrat party that we're in this quagmire to begin with.

No, there's not.

It's entirely the fault of the DNC, and the news media that desperately wanted not only a woman president: but wanted HER as the woman president. But since blaming entities leads to endless scapegoating, and eventually everyone dropping it since it achieves nothing: let's just blame her and make her step down from her presidential ambitions. If she wants to stay in politics, hey who am I to comment on a good racket if she has one, but NEVER AGAIN can she run for president. You have a two party system and when one of them isn't capable of being elected, you remove the choice from democracy.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#17 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1776 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:45 PM

I'd like to think HRC isn't going to run again. I sometimes have the feeling that she's going to do so. Second times the charm, and people do seem to like her (except for the ones who, you know, voted for President Bad Hair). I'm not sure where I come down. I mean, I'd rather NOT see the "old guard" running things. I'd also rather NOT get into a shooting war with, say, North Korea or, I dunno, Montana because somebody on staff ordered the wrong toilet paper.

I think *right now* we have bigger problems than 2020. Fixing the state party. Avoiding nuclear war with Montana. Making sure that people don't lose their health insurance. Keeping the govt from classifying McDonalds as a hate group. That kind of thing.

I dunno. I just. Meh.

~Marduk

#18 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8696 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:42 AM

3rd time's the charm you mean. Don't forget she wanted to run in 2008 but couldn't beat Obama to get the nomination.

But no, Id really rather not see her run again.

#19 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49546 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:29 AM

My concern is if she does come out of the woods as she puts it, she'll dominate the Democrat narrative once again and we'll have a situation like we did in 2004, where the speculation that she was going to run for President and media pre-hype had a detrimental effect on Kerry's run (Well that and the fact Kerry didn't just throw his Purple Heart on the table and dare any naysayer to come take it from him).

#20 Generator

Generator
  • Citizen
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

(Well that and the fact Kerry didn't just throw his Purple Heart on the table and dare any naysayer to come take it from him).

Really? Are you so ready to blame the Democratic Party for not winning that you'd just completely ignore the whole Swift Boat Truthers thing? Or that someone with a history of military heroism not using that as political cudgel is a failure on their part? At what point is it the voters fault that they made the wrong decision, instead of it always being "the candidate didn't make it easy enough for the voting populace to not do the wrong thing?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users