Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (19 February 2017 - 04:03 AM)

Oh wait, figured it out. Doi...

@  Pennpenn : (19 February 2017 - 04:02 AM)

I'm kinda disappointed how they messed up Legion Bisk's hands so that his front wheels can't roll.

@  RichardT1977 : (19 February 2017 - 12:45 AM)

One of the Walmarts near me has some pegs full of Wave 1 TR deluxes.

@  Paladin : (18 February 2017 - 09:39 PM)

https://twitter.com/autobase_aichi/status/833142409005391872 ....is that an MP DINOBOT teaser?!?!

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 February 2017 - 09:35 PM)

Yeah, never seen a Titans Return Hot Rod

@  LBD "Nyt... : (18 February 2017 - 08:58 PM)

Or Hot Rod. D=

@  LBD "Nyt... : (18 February 2017 - 08:58 PM)

Wow, seriously? I don't think I've even seen him here. =(

@  Msol : (18 February 2017 - 07:50 PM)

Yeah Mindwipe shelfwarmed like crazy in Vancouver.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 February 2017 - 07:36 PM)

My Walmart still has a Rattrap floating around. My frustration is I've seen Hot Rod and Doublecross, but still haven't seen a Highbrow

@  ShadowMan024 : (18 February 2017 - 07:02 PM)

I still haven't seen any Wave 3 Deluxes aside from the Triggerhappy I got off eBay.

@  Pennpenn : (18 February 2017 - 06:54 PM)

Fairly sure the Target near my work still has a CW Wheeljack hanging around the Wave 3 TR deluxes. Just wish we'd gotten Wave 2 deluxes...

@  ShadowMan024 : (18 February 2017 - 06:53 PM)

CW deluxes from the later waves clogged the shelves real bad.

@  ShadowMan024 : (18 February 2017 - 06:52 PM)

Correction: TR deluxes don't shelfwarm.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 February 2017 - 06:47 PM)

Generations deluxes don't shelfwarm.

@  Msol : (18 February 2017 - 06:30 PM)

Hm, interesting. Some of the pegs seem to have the correct names when they've been shelfwarming for a while. So like Mindwipe would be on a peg labelled MINDWIPE next to WOLFWIRE, etc.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2017 - 06:30 PM)

It would make less sense to track individual figures when they're ordered by the assortment anyway.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 February 2017 - 03:02 PM)

Nope. walmart tends to scan the first UPC of the assortment, then use it for the entire assortment. Actually tracking data makes to much sense.

@  Msol : (18 February 2017 - 02:37 PM)

So hey I bought Triggerhappy from Walmart a few days ago and just notice the receipt said TRIGGERHAPPY on it. Not the assortment name or whatever. Are they using this info to better track character sales or something?

@  unluckiness : (18 February 2017 - 07:13 AM)

I think there was a premonition panel in the Devil's Due TF vs JOEs

@  Bass X0 : (18 February 2017 - 05:28 AM)

When an app asks me to give a review or a rating, I decline, but I always look at other people's reviews before I get an app.

@  Sockie : (17 February 2017 - 10:07 PM)

TF vs G.I. Joe counts more than anything else.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (17 February 2017 - 08:52 PM)

Does that even count?

@  LBD "Nyt... : (17 February 2017 - 08:52 PM)

OH, that one.

@  Pennpenn : (17 February 2017 - 08:39 PM)

The most recent one, I think? I don't think Fort Max or Trypticon even appear in the earlier ones.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (17 February 2017 - 08:37 PM)

Which one was that?

@  unitremover : (17 February 2017 - 07:16 PM)

They did in the Scioli TF vs GI Joe

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 February 2017 - 05:37 PM)

Have Fortress Maximus and Trypticon ever fought each other before Titans Return?

@  Dekafox : (17 February 2017 - 05:20 PM)

Smart Brain? He's trying to take over the world through weaponized electronic accessories?

@  Msol : (17 February 2017 - 05:16 PM)

Reminds me of Smart Robin in a good way.

@  Msol : (17 February 2017 - 05:16 PM)

Oh man Triggerhappy is awesome.

@  Rycochet : (17 February 2017 - 11:30 AM)

I'm afraid to imagine what was done to it to turn it into bubble tea.

@  MEDdMI : (17 February 2017 - 11:04 AM)

You must have been feeding it. That's when it turns from sweet tea to bitter mutated chaotic tea.

@  Rycochet : (17 February 2017 - 11:00 AM)

I didn't know Tea could do that, I thought it just turned into a disgusting drink.

@  MEDdMI : (17 February 2017 - 10:59 AM)

They also multiply when they get wet. Don't feed them after midnight, either.

@  Rycochet : (17 February 2017 - 10:58 AM)

Don't get them wet otherwise you'll end up with a case of brownbelly.

@  MEDdMI : (17 February 2017 - 10:56 AM)

What about t-shirts made out of tea bags?

@  Rycochet : (17 February 2017 - 10:55 AM)

No, no, it's teens who need putting in airtight containers, tea you can leave anywhere.

@  MEDdMI : (17 February 2017 - 10:53 AM)

Tea is best stored in airtight containers, not china.

@  Rycochet : (17 February 2017 - 10:24 AM)

I thought all the tea was in china.

@  MEDdMI : (17 February 2017 - 09:23 AM)

GAH *can't edit on mobile*

@  MEDdMI : (17 February 2017 - 09:23 AM)

*in Japanese, the "t" is fhere

@  MEDdMI : (17 February 2017 - 09:22 AM)

Well, if you pronounce "tsunami"

@  Noideaforaname : (17 February 2017 - 09:17 AM)

PPPPPPPPterodactyl douBBBBBBts TTTTTTTsunami

@  MEDdMI : (17 February 2017 - 09:12 AM)

omelete du fromageeeeeeeeee

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 February 2017 - 09:12 AM)

This whole thing is a farceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

@  MEDdMI : (17 February 2017 - 09:06 AM)

I defy your linguistics

@  Robowang : (17 February 2017 - 09:01 AM)

It was either spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace or spaceyyyy

@  MEDdMI : (17 February 2017 - 08:57 AM)

say it with a hisssss of airrrrrrr

@  RichardT1977 : (17 February 2017 - 08:53 AM)

What effect does extending a silent letter represent in pronouncing a word?

@  MEDdMI : (17 February 2017 - 08:45 AM)

GO INTO SPACEEEEE

Photo
- - - - -

Beast Wars: Uprising General Discussion

68 replies to this topic

#1 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Knight of Infinity

• Citizen
  • 2335 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

I was reflecting on the great line that was Beast Wars: Uprising and thought it might be useful to have a single thread to talk about topics in Uprising beyond just in a single story thread. So discuss away!

I will begin by proposing we have some fun by each naming our favorite Beast Wars: Uprising story, favorite character, and suggest a title and/or idea for an Uprising story.

Favorite story: Derailment, for its sheer length and depth in exploring the end of the Grand Uprising in 6 days.

Favorite character: Preditron, for his brand of disciplined combat and trans-faction ideals.

Story idea: Builder Privilege

dMBL0DS.jpg

Supreme Commander Lio Convoy!

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 18 January 2017 - 06:47 PM.

#2 Broadside

Broadside

pchoo! pchoo!

• Citizen
  • 6115 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:30 PM

I want to see a story about the conflict set up at the end of The Inexorable March called "Die Skriix Scum". (Or "Down With Skriix".)

NBgKWg5.png

#3 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 1119 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

Favourite Story: Derailment. (Intersectionality probably comes as a close second though)

Favourite Character: I'm going to go with Rage, for being built up across stories and living up to her hype. A monarch who did care for her people.

Title Idea: Fifth Estate (Something about the Quints and their attempts to use the Uprising as a potential source of profit, and the Resistance's attempt to stop it. Playing off the Fourth Estate)

#4 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 1361 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

Favorite story: Head Games
Favorite Character: Preditron, who for some reason sounds like Cary Elwes in my head.
Title idea: tfw you're working on a bwu fanfiction about the stunticons. "Displacement", maybe?

Edited by Locoman, 18 January 2017 - 06:55 PM.

#5 unitremover

unitremover
  • Citizen
  • 210 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

The story of how Max B was coerced into drinking something that was supposed to give him a beast mode. Take A Fragging Sip, BB.

#6 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 19277 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

asking me to pick a favorite is like asking me which of my children i love the most

The story of how Max B was coerced into drinking something that was supposed to give him a beast mode. Take A Fragging Sip, BB.

bb's a girl in this universe!

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#7 Broadside

Broadside

pchoo! pchoo!

• Citizen
  • 6115 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:12 PM

Okay, seriously:
Fave story: Head Games, easily. Derailment is great, though, and Trigger Warnings/Identity Politics/Burning Bridges are also up there.
Best character: Gotta go with Buckethead. Or Bisk, but he doesn't really count.
Story idea: Affirmative Action, a gritty war story from the perspective of a Predacon soldier "in the trenches".

NBgKWg5.png

#8 Gearshift

Gearshift

death to the nonbufflievers

• Citizen
  • 2033 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

I've already shared Compulsory Metroplexuality as the lost story of Metroplex's fate that got away, but I guess there's a few others in of me.

Flight Moderate - Micromaster Superion Maximus is superficially sympathetic to the plight of the protoformers, but fights against them because she believes them to be misguided and overly violent in their desire for peace.

Problemattaca - Unrest bubbles when Builder plans to reshape and re-engineer Cybertronian society should they be successful in regaining control of the planet are leaked, leading to the split of the MCS Forces

Performance Matrix - A border skirmish near Rodimus' Folly becomes much more intense when bombing unearths a long-lost fragment of the Matrix of Leadership crystal. (This never makes it into any of the stories because the only survivor was a defecting K-9, becoming Hound Prime and going into hiding immediately.)

(I can't wait to see Jim's reaction when he looks at this topic.)

Edited by Gearshift, 18 January 2017 - 07:42 PM.

#9 unitremover

unitremover
  • Citizen
  • 210 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

I haven't actually read all of them yet, but so far I absolutely loved, loved, loved Identity Politics. It's scary how pitch perfectly Megatron is written in that story. Head Games is pretty good too. Character wise, I don't know if there's quite been anyone who's jumped out at me as a favorite yet, but Cultural Appropriation got me pretty interested in Rampage. I wish there was some way I could read Alone Together.

Something, something "The Golden Discourse"

bb's a girl in this universe!

Whoops!

#10 zephyrX9

zephyrX9
  • Citizen
  • 1116 posts
  • Location:London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wbbl.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

Story: Identity Politics

Favorite Character: Megatron or Wolfang

Idea: Non-Binary

'Slammoth' decides to appropriate the idea of the Wreckers group with former Autobot Backstop, but there's more at stake when they uncover the remains and Powermasters of...Overlord!

(bonus edit: the BWU Wreckers would be Slammoth/Big Convoy, Backstop, Sand Storm, Sonar, Guushar, Rotorbolt, Garboyl, and the Resistance's attempt at Targetmasters: Rav, Dillo, and Mol)

Edited by zephyrX9, 18 January 2017 - 09:08 PM.

#11 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Knight of Infinity

• Citizen
  • 2335 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

Er, Max-B volunteered as a Darksyder to step into a Beast Pod, not to drink anything.

#12 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 783 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

I can't wait to see Jim's reaction when he looks at this topic.

Attached Thumbnails

• 200w.gif

#13 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Knight of Infinity

• Citizen
  • 2335 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:12 PM

Story idea: Affirmative Action, a gritty war story from the perspective of a Predacon soldier "in the trenches".

I could imagine the story involving the first ever Maximal/Predacon getting promoted to work in a Micromaster squad.

#14 Twilight Noisemaze

Twilight Noisemaze
  • Citizen
  • 63 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

Jim your hard work is most definitely appreciated, we don't get much BW love, but you, the club, & everybody else involved certainly brought us something thing nice! Shame the club couldn't produce much more from this universe. I fear that I will never have a Lord ID now....

#15 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 20501 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:44 AM

I just can't pick a favorite anything from this series. There's just too much good about it to pick from.

Honestly, Beast Wars: Uprising is everything and so much more than what Transformers: Prime and Machinima's Combiner Wars wanted to be but were incapable of being. Unlike those two, Uprising wasn't so obsessed with trying to be as epic or as hardcore as possible. It ended up being epic and hardcore in the end, but did so in a more humble way that allowed it to earn that epicness and hardcore feeling along the way. As dark, grim, and serious as Uprising could get at points, it never felt so much so that it became boring or dreadfully depressing. Even in the story's darkest moments, there was always some kind of glimmer of hope on the horizon that enabled the characters (and even the readers) to keep on going and never give up, no matter which side of the war the characters in question were fighting on.

And that's another thing that made this series so good. The characters were really well handled, even some of the most minor ones. A TON of characters from all walks of life in this story were able to be explored in an up close and personal manner that really gave the readers a genuine feel for each character that the readers needed to feel for (and even for some characters that the readers didn't need to feel for). Thus, when characters died, their deaths left a meaningful impact. And when characters survived, there was great joy and much relief. Very few moments (if any at all) felt like a cop-out or a cheap attempt at shock value, while many other moments resonated very well as legit moments of greatness.

For the first time in my 20+ years as a TF fan (1996-Present), I feel like Uprising is not only one of the few official TF works that actually feels like an actual war story, but is also the very best of those war stories. This is a war in the fullest sense, examined on a thoroughly deep and personal level from the reader's perspective. It isn't merely a recounting of turmoil and slaughterfests, nor is it a glorification of beat-em-up combat scenarios. It is instead a masterful work that explores many concepts and tackles numerous subjects both on and off the battlefield. No amount of praise can simply do this series the proper justice.

Edited by Sabrblade, 19 January 2017 - 09:10 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#16 IKY

IKY
  • Protoform
  • 33 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:25 AM

It was absolutely fantastic on so many fronts. A successful conglomeration of styles that intertwined very nicely. The characters were vibrant and believable...even the less prominent ones.

And Jim definitely goes full Sorenson between all the crazy references and the fragging Cybertronix/Renegade/Vok translated text...and it was done beautifully.

And the BWU universe is especially great because it covers several different settings that could be further fleshed out if the opportunity arises in the future (and I certainly hope it does). There's the whole G1 history, which due to timey-wimey wonkiness is sort of like the cartoon, but then can involve just about anything. The bits we know are REALLY interesting. I'm intrigued to know more about what brought us to the state that BWU is in when it starts. Then you've got a zillion different things going on during the Uprising. There's plenty more characters and perspectives that can be focused on. Then you've got everything post-Uprising and then FAR into the future with the Maladroids and Commandrons - something that DEFINITELY grabs my interest.

Point is, BWU is so multi-layered, and with Jim at the helm of character and world-building, it's a lush universe with endless possibility. It left me very thirsty for more, and not because it was lacking anything. It was just so damn good, and there's very clearly room for more without having to milk it.

Kudos to Jim and everyone involved. Transformers needs more stories like this.

All in all, it's just too hard to pick a favorite anything. There's so much to love.

Edited by IKY, 19 January 2017 - 08:30 AM.

#17 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 19277 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

Story idea: Confirmation Bias.

After Klementia rises to Chief Justice of the Quintessons, his social reform initiatives included that of negotiating with Earth of supporting the post-Uprising Cybertron. Humans, being naturally suspicious of anything the Quintessons do, send a crew to investigate. While Klementia's intentions are true, the commander of the human crew decides to kill him anyway. This leads to the Quintessons using their backdoors into Cybertronian technology and humanity's new technology mostly being reverse engineered to cripple the developments of the human race by activating a specialized kill switch. Humanity has to rely on their few remaining advanced non-Cybertronian originated AIs and ships, and while no one dies due to the Quintessons wanting to honor Klementia's memory , much of humanity is immobilized. Still, the unagumented humans are treated like second class citizens, leading a war to outbreak between social classes.....

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#18 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 1119 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

Another story idea:

Reclamation

The Allowed Zone was never popular with Cybertronians, the halving of it was even less so.

Despite the danger, the small crew of Charon (a mode locked Cybertronian spaceship) are attempting to travel out to the sterilized worlds, and try and find some fragments or remnants of Cybertronian technology that they can bring back home.

Now they've hit the metroload: Opulus. A former Jewel in Cybertron's crown, the world was where much of the Cybertronian's energy was produced. Many Builders believe that its sterilization was a deliberate attempt to starve Cybertronians - to kill them without dirtying the Human's hands.
And now Charon and his Micromaster crew (Over-Run, Legs, and a downsized Slug) must pull off the greatest heist of them all: stealing one of Opulus' shattered Energon condensers, and bringing it back to Cybertron. WIthout alerting the humans monitoring the world, who would be quick to take offence...

Spoiler

#19 Broadside

Broadside

pchoo! pchoo!

• Citizen
  • 6115 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

A two-part story, each depicting the same events; the first part is from the perspective of Cybertronians, and the second is from the perspective of humans, or maybe another organic race.

The parts are called "Mechanical Solidarity" and "Organic Solidarity", respectively.

NBgKWg5.png

#20 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Knight of Infinity

• Citizen
  • 2335 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

Idea: Non-Binary
'Slammoth' decides to appropriate the idea of the Wreckers group with former Autobot Backstop, but there's more at stake when they uncover the remains and Powermasters of...Overlord!

Er, Backstop (one anyway) in this universe is the 2010 Cybertron redeco as a Maximal. How could he be a downsized Autobot? Hot Rod gets enough flak for downsizing to Micromaster, and Grimlock is outright considered a race traitor for converting into a Maximal.

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 20 January 2017 - 07:08 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users