Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (20 November 2017 - 04:53 AM)

Yeah yeah, giant spiders. Look up the Great Emu War of the 1920s for instances of Australia trying to defeat it's wildlife and failing miserably.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 November 2017 - 03:41 AM)

Australia is still fighting their war on Giant Spiders.

@  Pennpenn : (20 November 2017 - 01:58 AM)

The queue is pretty long, and I don't think Australia is going anywhere any time soon.

@  Locoman : (19 November 2017 - 10:59 PM)

Welcome to the "political crisis" queue, here's your ticket.

@  Nevermore : (19 November 2017 - 10:20 PM)

Complicated lengthy coalition talks just failed.

@  Nevermore : (19 November 2017 - 10:20 PM)

Oh boy. Germany is in a political crisis.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 November 2017 - 01:25 PM)

I could handle going back to not existing. x.x;

@  Bass X0 : (19 November 2017 - 01:14 PM)

Life is the brief recess we get from not existing before going back to not existing.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 November 2017 - 01:10 PM)

Nah.. Life is simply the precursor to death.

@  Bass X0 : (19 November 2017 - 12:41 PM)

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 November 2017 - 08:37 AM)

You won't be at school or work anymore... so mitigated success.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2017 - 05:21 PM)

Just don't try to plug yourself into an outlet. It won't end well.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2017 - 04:57 PM)

Trying to stay awake at work or school is a lot like using your controller when it's on low battery

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 10:31 AM)

If you're used to doing it with tabs, that makes sense. It doesn't feel weird for me.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:28 AM)

Also, it just feels weird if switching between webpages uses the same actions as switching between programs.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:21 AM)

I switch between different things on the browser and click on various plugins and stuff far more often than switching from program to program.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 10:19 AM)

Yeah I'm mostly just venting from frustration rather than trying to convince anyone, though @NotVeryNightly I will point out that the windows for the other programs I'm running are at the bottom of the screen as well.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:09 AM)

Tabs are on the top, near the address bar, browser tools, plugins and whatnot so the cursor will be there frequently anyway. Switching windows would require going down the screen.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 10:03 AM)

I mean, you do you. No bigs. You've just got a fairly unique stance that surprised me.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 09:54 AM)

I haven't seen words on the bottom bar of the screen since XP.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:13 AM)

All of which is put on the point that I don't care if people want to use tabs, I just want the option to not have them present for me on my browser.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:12 AM)

@Shrug- A quick glance at the bottom of the screen shows me what is open and where. Load times are basically so trivial that the load indicator on a tab is something I didn't notice until you mentioned it. The "which instance is playing noise" is a fair point but has basically only really been approaching meaningful for me maybe twice in all the time tabs have existed.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:07 AM)

@NotveryKnightly- I have never encountered a situation where that is true, especially given that tabs are on the other side of the screen to the other things I'm switching through.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:06 AM)

@ Nevermore- The windows at the bottom have the names of the websites on them, presuming you don't collapse them.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:08 AM)

Geez, this is reminding me of the awful pre-tab days.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:07 AM)

I can look at the tab to see if it hasn't finished loading yet. Now you can see which tab is playing sound, so no need to hunt through windows to find a video ad that started playing.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:07 AM)

And a quick glance lets me know whats open and where. No clicking multiple windows hunting for something. No waiting for some window preview to pop up (which wasn't available when tabs first started.)

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 06:03 AM)

Switching between tabs is way quicker than between windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:09 AM)

It's like having a clear structore with sub-directores, instead of just having all files on your computer stored in one giant directory.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:08 AM)

This way, I can switch between windows and then select the tab, instead of always trying to remember which window is for which website.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:07 AM)

I find one browser window with multiple tabs a lot easier to handle alongside other windows than multiple browser windows alongside other windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

I find multiple tabs a lot more comfortable than multiple windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

erm... no?

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 03:26 AM)

On mobile devices and whatever I understand why tabs would be a thing, but on a full desktop browser it's just- "Hey, here's a thing that's kind of like opening a new window, but objectively worse in every practical way"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 November 2017 - 01:41 AM)

Someone remind me again: which versions of the CW Hot Spot mold did not suffer from bad hip ratcheting?

@  BlackMax : (16 November 2017 - 06:33 PM)

Holy crap I just pushed the F11 key for the first time on a keyboard since about 1994.

@  Shrug : (16 November 2017 - 01:11 PM)

tabs being wretched bs is definitely an opinion I've never seen before

@  RC85747 : (16 November 2017 - 08:25 AM)

Vivaldi lets you hide the tab bar

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 07:45 AM)

Yeah but that gets rid of everything else as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 November 2017 - 07:33 AM)

Hit F11 Pennpenn

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 04:15 AM)

I get that people like tabs. Fine. Whatever. I just detest the fact that most current browsers don't let you have the option of just hiding the bar away so I don't have to even think about the wretched bullshit things.

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

Does anyone know of a browser that doesn't force tabs on you? Just... any sodding browser that doesn't have tabs.

@  Telly : (16 November 2017 - 01:59 AM)

being mostly wrong is better than being TOTALLY wrong!

@  BlackMax : (15 November 2017 - 09:26 PM)

ALL HAIL THE BLESSED OCTOBUTT.

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 08:24 PM)

I really hope so. All of my high school drawings and notes (Hand-written notes! God, I'm old.) from girls are in a chest in the attic of my parents house. I'll check when I visit!

@  MEDdMI : (15 November 2017 - 06:39 PM)

Do you still have those drawings?

@  BlackMax : (15 November 2017 - 06:31 PM)

I think lesbian ninjas is just an unmitigated good idea. *shrug*

@  Devcon : (15 November 2017 - 05:56 PM)

well, that and Balloon Doggies, Mr secretary

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 04:12 PM)

It's my crowning Allspark achievement! You're welcome.

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 04:05 PM)

"Someone" being me. No mystery to it, I used to draw a lot during class when I was in high school. I came up with lesbian ninjas, which were a specialized team of assassins with amazing hair and impeccable style. I scanned some of my drawings and mentioned them a few times on the ezboard 17 years ago, and people seemed to like the idea.

Photo
- - - - -

Rarity: Does It Make You Like Toys More? And What Do You Have That Is "Rare"?

131 replies to this topic

#21 Robowang

Robowang

Nard Extractor

• Supporter
  • 3296 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

Is it cool to own something for which there isn't even a picture of in the TFWiki yet?

Sure, but that's not why I picked it up. I just saw a tiny nondescript black & white box, without even a single picture on it, at Botcon sitting amongst a ton of stuff at a Japanese dealer's table at Botcon, and asked a fellow collector if he knew what it was. We were both pleasantly surprised.

Me, because random Speed Racer swag is cool. My compatriot, more likely because uncommon TF swag is cool. I had no idea that this was something special. I just thought it would be cool and fun in the same way I would appreciate a Bot Shot of a beloved character.

Let's just say that it was very fortunate for our friendship that the dealer had more than one, and we both left very happy.

Having a cool random story is way more fun than, "I spent a boatload of money on eBay for this."

Here he comes, here comes Mach 5 Prime, he's a demon on wheels....

I love a good story with this stuff. Besides the auctions I mentioned earlier, my favorite story is the time in 1999 when I was driving home with no intention of stopping anywhere. I saw a garage sale sign in front of this house with a big barn and SOMETHING just took control of me and veered into the driveway. 

I went home with a Cobra Terrordrome, nearly complete, for $15, and a U.S.S. Flagg (G.I.Joe aircraft carrier) missing some stuff for $25. It was pretty amazing as I was really getting into G.I.Joe collecting back then. 

NEEDS: Beast Wars II DRILLNUTS 

Beast Wars Powerpinch

Beast Wars Returns Strika

Beast Wars Returns Obsidian

SCF Chase figures - see post here - plenty to trade

Robowang's eBay Store - lots of TFs

MY WANTS LIST

My feedback

#22 Aberration

Aberration
  • Citizen
  • 2608 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

Probably the rarest thing I own is a Rodimus Jr, which I managed to snap in half on its first transformation, because the way it's built is stupid.  It's super-glued together and staying in robot mode forever now.

Other than that, I have X-9 Ravage, and a few Black Rodimii, and some stuff I've probably forgotten because it's in storage.  But everything I have is because I like the character or I like the combination of figure/colors, not simply because it's rare, and I don't get upset if other people get the chance to enjoy the same figures.

(On the other hand, every time I've needed to sell a certain figure because I needed the money, hugging Hasbro Asia always manages to reissue that specific figure right on cue :rolleyes )

#23 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 8717 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

I dunno.  When I think of "rare" Transformers, I think of things like lucky draw figures and unreleased G2 figures.  I don't have anything that rare in my collection, and I probably never will because they're not worth the price to me.

The rarest thing I own is probably the Waspinator test shot that is my avatar.  I don't know how many of them are in circulation, but they show up on eBay from time to time and this one wasn't outrageously expensive.  It's special to me largely because a bunch of friends helped me buy it because they thought I should own it.

There are several reasons I might like a toy.  Innovative transformation, nice deco, beloved character, or just a really solid mold.  I don't think rarity really plays much of a part.

#24 Engledogg

Engledogg
  • Citizen
  • 2134 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

THAT is amazing. Nice scores! Was this a long time ago or something more recent? 

It was a while ago (2008) - both eBay wins from the same seller.  

eBay used to be pretty good to me back in the day.  I got a lot of five test-market G1 Happy Meal black and green Cliffjumpers (MISP) for $1.35 total (early-mid 2000s); the unreleased-in-the-U.S. Animorph figures (Taxxon/Alien and Jake/Stingray) in 2005 for a buck each; stuff like that.   I never see deals like that anymore.

MIKE

engledogg

Edited by Engledogg, 18 January 2017 - 12:48 PM.

#25 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 14946 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

*reads thread title*

I predict... 3 posts until MLP reference.

Generally I like toys more when they're one of my favorite MLP characters, yes. =P

In all seriousness, rarity is a cool bonus to a figure, in the same sense expense is, but it hardly trumps a more enjoyable toy. Botcon Treadshot is cool, but I still love RotF Dunerunner more and I have almoat dozen of that toy.

17?!

You're slipping, Allspark. I'm not sure I even know you anymore.

Edited by Luke, 18 January 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#26 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Citizen
  • 2810 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

Rarity does add something to the mix but the price is a factor as well.

Aside from some BW, Universe, and Armada testshots (including Mini-cons), I have an Energon Insecticon in Chop Shop colors and a White Scrapmetal.

-SS (Aveo Swerve or Calvin Johnson Megatron don't count.)

#27 Defensis Prime

Defensis Prime

Multiversal Singularity-haters = puppykickers who belong on Junk

• Citizen
  • 1826 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

I'm a completist. Rarity is just an indicator, to me, of how much of a pain in the skidplate it might be to mark that box on the checklist. But every piece is wanted. I've no grails, really, though there are a couple pieces I'd certainly like to get.

Probably the two rarest items in my/our collection--as opposed to 'her'--are both Lucky Draws--'God' Primus and Black Fire Convoy--but there's a good bit of uncommon stuff in the mix, too.

(Her rarest 'wins'.)

-- L A S E R AUTOBOT LEADER DEFENSIS PRIME : Psychotic Completist®
"...Transformers should have retina-searing colorschemes--your eyes bleed after one glance..."

#28 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4437 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

Having something rare, hard to find, or valuable is nice, but usually it just means I'm going to treat it too carefully to have fun with it.  If you know you can't replace a figure if it breaks, you're less likely to actually play with it.  This is why I like to buy doubles of particularly loved characters.

#29 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 12963 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

The rarest figures I have are Notcon Cosmos and Under-3, and I hate them both.

#30 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 39771 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:09 PM

I think rarity definitely amplifies toy my wantage, but it's not the only factor - I have to like something else about the toy too like colors, design, etc. or else the scarcity puts me off trying to own a toy.

Case in point... I have zero interest in ever getting any of the Takara-only Generation One toys. They have neat ideas behind them, and the characters are kind of cool sometimes, but whenever I look at the toys there's just no need for me to try to hunt them down. I see them, I see how difficult it is to own a complete one, and any ambition to own them never forms.

But I have plunked down some serious cash for other rare figures - European G1/G2, Takara BW, BW pre-production, Diaclone... I mean, I have a Grizzly-1 hard copy I paid $500 for, a Torca resin cast concept piece I paid $700... and I almost bought a Lucky Draw Galva Lio Convoy a few years back for over a grand but the ATM was out of cash and I took it as a sign that I was being stupid :D

Basically the order of things have to be "Oh that's neat" THEN "Oh, it's rare?" and that's when the "OMG, I can't get it, but it MUST be mine!!!" sets in. But there definitely needs to be that initial draw or else rarity actually becomes a detriment to my interests.

Edited by NightViper, 18 January 2017 - 02:10 PM.

#31 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 15740 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:25 PM

Rarest thing I own is SHBM Lava Galvatron, only 100 exist; however, it is not particularly hard to acquire, since as a single-color vinyl thingie people tend to get bored and sell them not infrequently. The toughest to acquire piece I own is without a doubt Dinogeist, from Brave Exkaiser. I'm sure it is at least a thousand times as abundant as Lavagalv, but it took me 6 years to find one; mine remains, after 20+ years in the online fandom, the only intact specimen I have ever seen for sale.

In general, rarity makes interesting figures more interesting - you didn't just get what you wanted, you had to be a little devoted and a little lucky to get it. Everybody liked Stormjet's colors BEFORE we saw he would be rare. But for boring nobodies, being rare is not going to save them - see "Descent into Evil."

#32 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 12963 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

My non-trolly answer is that, while there are things I own that not everyone owns that I think of as "special", it's more that I have them than that they're rare. In fact, I'd rather have a toy nobody really has or talks about but that can be had for a relatively low price for anyone who cares, because then I can say "oh my, you don't have x? You have to get one, it's great!" and they can, it's not just me going "oh man, this is great, SUCK MY DICK YOU CAN NEVER HAVE IT".

Dinoking, for example, is a lot harder/more expensive to get now than when I got it, but that hasn't made me like it more than I used to. In fact, it's just made me hesitant about touching it - I can basically never play with my Pyro again because I'm afraid it'll break, and what good is that?

#33 Walky

Walky

You know you'll have to face it, you're addicted to Lug

• Citizen
  • 37456 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

I'm moving right now, and nothing makes me cognizant of or hate rarity more.  Stupid rare shit is hugging annoying when you're moving, and the more stupid rare shit you have, the more annoying it is.  Got a damn cupboard full of BotCon customization class guys that I need to carry in some sort of pillow-based transport, I dunno.  You trip and fall, suddenly you're out an irreplacable Animated Minerva and like $1500.

yaaaay rarity

#34 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Supporter
  • 3326 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

I have a complete Monstructor and I'm not sure why. I think I'd prefer having $300 but I can't be arsed to sell it. Maybe after a year on my new display....

#35 Dracula

Dracula

IS DEAD NOW

• Staff
  • 4110 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

I love a good story with this stuff. Besides the auctions I mentioned earlier, my favorite story is the time in 1999 when I was driving home with no intention of stopping anywhere. I saw a garage sale sign in front of this house with a big barn and SOMETHING just took control of me and veered into the driveway. 

I went home with a Cobra Terrordrome, nearly complete, for $15, and a U.S.S. Flagg (G.I.Joe aircraft carrier) missing some stuff for $25. It was pretty amazing as I was really getting into G.I.Joe collecting back then.

Back in college, me and some friends went to a local comic book store. The door to their back room was open and I noticed an enormous box with the GI Joe logo, which I immediately recognized as the USS Flagg. I asked the cashier about it and he said the owner had gotten it out of an attic where it had been since 1985, and wanted "I dunno, a hundred bucks" for it. 

As a college kid I couldn't just up and spend a hundred bucks, but my friends really wanted me to buy that thing, so two of them each pitched in 20 bucks and persuaded me to drive back to the store and buy it. Lucky too, since I caught word later that another guy had his eyes on it and would have come back to buy it the same day. 

We went back to our apartment and spent the rest of the day assembling it and putting on the stickers. It was only missing a few parts and is still the centerpiece of my collection.

Also, I still go hang out at this shop from time to time and the manager told me once that I'm now hated by the owner as he later learned how much the Flagg is really worth.

Dinoking, for example, is a lot harder/more expensive to get now than when I got it, but that hasn't made me like it more than I used to. In fact, it's just made me hesitant about touching it - I can basically never play with my Pyro again because I'm afraid it'll break, and what good is that?

Yeah. My ultimate collecting goal is to have a complete US G1 set, but a few items are excluded from the list since I'd be terrified to touch them.

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#36 Rycochet

Rycochet

Mechanical television star!

• Citizen
  • 1455 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

Now I want a stickerset to convert Titans Returns Getaway into Rarity from My Little Pony..

Edited by Rycochet, 18 January 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#37 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 12963 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

I think AOE Rollbar (either one) is probably the best base figure for that.

#38 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 33992 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

X-9 Ravage certainly fits that bill.  It looks nice, but it's no big upgrade over TM Cheetor and I was just ecstatic to get my hands on it a decade ago because it was so damn hard to get at the time.

I remember that for years the only images I saw of Jaguar were of him in robot mode.

When I finally saw his Beast mode I understood why.

"Disabled people don’t have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isn’t a “special need”. It’s a basic human right. It’s a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#39 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 12963 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

X-9 Ravage certainly fits that bill.  It looks nice, but it's no big upgrade over TM Cheetor and I was just ecstatic to get my hands on it a decade ago because it was so damn hard to get at the time.

Ravage is definitely worse than Cheetor, insofar as he transforms less and has huge, visible arms hanging out under his body. Cheetor was a great toy; Ravage has some of that greatness but botches a lot of it.

Gorgeous headsculpt, though. Way better than his actual show model, which modern Takara would probably have exactly replicated.

#40 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 60010 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

I find Ravage to be more fun than Cheetor in robot mode but terrible in comparison in var mode.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users