Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (29 May 2017 - 07:16 PM)

Is that why I found a Yamask in the cereal box?

@  Paladin : (29 May 2017 - 06:29 PM)

taste may vary from person to person.

@  Telly : (29 May 2017 - 06:03 PM)

soylent green toast crunch yummy yummy!

@  D Immortalis : (29 May 2017 - 05:47 PM)

since were pretty sure he ate the other bakers, i figure kids love it because it tastes like people...PEOPLE!

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 May 2017 - 04:07 PM)

But have you sighted why kids love the sweet taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunchâ„¢?

@  RichardT1977 : (29 May 2017 - 03:14 PM)

BTW: added a sighting to my recent TR Deluxe Wave 4 post (edited instead of double-posted).

@  Bass X0 : (28 May 2017 - 02:59 PM)

Back in my day, I called them "Mini-Spies".

@  Whirl Maximus : (28 May 2017 - 02:06 PM)

Think about the implications of it though, robots in disguise themselves infiltrated and paranoid by the recent shifts in the status quo.

@  unluckiness : (28 May 2017 - 07:47 AM)

I'm kinda glad. A couple tie-in stories aside, Secret Invasion was a mess.

@  Steevy Maximus : (28 May 2017 - 07:23 AM)

Almost makes you wonder if some of the aborted Micronauts relaunch concept didn't slip in...

@  Whirl Maximus : (28 May 2017 - 07:20 AM)

Titan Masters could quite easily have been Transformers: Secret invasion, the return of the Mini-cons/Stentarians but noooooo, it had to be whatever the pit it is.

@  Pennpenn : (28 May 2017 - 02:59 AM)

Fairly sure I used too much flour. Oh well.

@  Pennpenn : (28 May 2017 - 02:24 AM)

Scones in the oven.

@  Pennpenn : (28 May 2017 - 01:54 AM)

Considering whether it's worth the effort to make scones

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 May 2017 - 07:36 PM)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gundam-Breaker-3-BREAK-EDITION-English-PS4-Game-GOTY-Physical-Version-/142395861602?hash=item2127746a62:g:kb0AAOSw8lpZKS31

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 May 2017 - 07:36 PM)

TMM, free shipping

@  unluckiness : (27 May 2017 - 07:33 PM)

Even if it's just 4 bucks, people shouldn't be patronizing obvious scams.

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 May 2017 - 05:37 PM)

What's the shipping price?

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 May 2017 - 05:18 PM)

Yeah, but it's cheaper than all the Hong Kong sellers running at $65+

@  2017 : (27 May 2017 - 05:07 PM)

It sounds like a scam.

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 May 2017 - 04:32 PM)

I know, RIGHT?!

@  wonko the sane? : (27 May 2017 - 04:23 PM)

Part of me is screaming "no", and part of me says "It's just four bucks, hit it and hope for the best".

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 May 2017 - 04:09 PM)

Hmmm,...do I take the chance on a copy of Gundam Breaker 3 Break Edition for $4 from a China seller with zero feedback?

@  unluckiness : (27 May 2017 - 11:19 AM)

and collect cobwebs

@  Rycochet : (27 May 2017 - 11:06 AM)

Aside from getting stuck in bathtubs and getting eaten by family pets.

@  Bass X0 : (27 May 2017 - 10:10 AM)

Spider-Man toys don't do whatever a spider can either...

@  Pennpenn : (27 May 2017 - 04:38 AM)

Grax is only invisible when no one is looking at them. No idea what's wrong with your Xort.

@  Whirl Maximus : (27 May 2017 - 04:16 AM)

Titan Masters is filled with false advertising, Grax doesn't make any figure invisible and Xort doesn't do anything with gravity. Maybe they'll be in the Transformer toys of tomorrow which will be actual robots with AI.

@  Waspinator : (27 May 2017 - 02:19 AM)

So you can bite his shiny metal ass?

@  unluckiness : (27 May 2017 - 02:12 AM)

Any particular reason TLK Voyager Optimus has his ass painted silver?

@  Noideaforaname : (26 May 2017 - 09:58 PM)

Loki makes life interesting. "I HAVE A PLAN FOR GETTING BACK THOR'S HAMMER!! HE'LL NEED TO WEAR THIS WEDDING DRESS!"

@  Echowarrior : (26 May 2017 - 09:16 PM)

Thor was a great guy. Same as most of the Asgard. Loki was a jerk, though.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 May 2017 - 07:21 PM)

I think thor was just too smart to NOT call us stupid next to him.

@  Pennpenn : (26 May 2017 - 07:18 PM)

Six of one, half a dozen of the other?

@  wonko the sane? : (26 May 2017 - 07:17 PM)

I always interpreted that scene to mean that asgardians weren't capable of breaking down problems in the same way as humans.

@  Pennpenn : (26 May 2017 - 06:58 AM)

I mean, SG1 was a good show on balance. One of my favourite things was Thor admitting he found humans good to keep around because they so often came up with stupid ideas that nevertheless worked out.

@  Whirl Maximus : (26 May 2017 - 05:59 AM)

Those episodes were 1969 and 2010.

@  Whirl Maximus : (26 May 2017 - 05:59 AM)

Stargate sg1 was loosely based on the movie, it thrived on continuity it was impressive how old situations and solutions would come back in unexpected ways. Continuum had it's villain use the characters own solution in two previous episodes against them.

@  Pennpenn : (26 May 2017 - 05:39 AM)

And yeah, name is based on a part of my surname. Can't remember why I picked it. Lost to memories of the primordial early 2000s.

@  Pennpenn : (26 May 2017 - 05:37 AM)

Like how Abydos in the movie is in another galaxy on the far side of the universe, but Abydos in SG1 is the closest world to Earth (and that was the only reason the gate could still get there) and even getting to other galaxies was impossible with the normal gates.

@  Pennpenn : (26 May 2017 - 05:35 AM)

I was very tired when I said that, but what I meant was a lot of stuff that is in the original Stargate movie is contradicted a lot in Stargate SG1.

@  unluckiness : (26 May 2017 - 05:29 AM)

OBJECTION

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 May 2017 - 12:48 AM)

I remember a fanfic that had Swindle as Lawyer.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (25 May 2017 - 10:08 PM)

No, I am referring to before Beast Wars: Uprising. I swear Swindle was a lawyer in a story before "A Brush With Infamy".

@  Telly : (25 May 2017 - 09:47 PM)

i cant get the link to work for the life of me. just go to the wiki and type "a brush with infamy" in the search box and itll come up

@  Telly : (25 May 2017 - 09:40 PM)

grr. check the post above this one. stupid non working link and i cant delete shouts...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (25 May 2017 - 09:25 PM)

I swear I've read the story but now I forget which one it is.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (25 May 2017 - 09:25 PM)

When has G1 Swindle been a lawyer before?

@  Rycochet : (25 May 2017 - 07:20 PM)

All I know about PennPenn is he's so good they named him twice.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 May 2017 - 07:02 PM)

Nope.. Pennpenn is actually a Prinny dood!

Photo
- - - - -

Rarity: Does It Make You Like Toys More? And What Do You Have That Is "Rare"?

131 replies to this topic

#1 Robowang

Robowang

Nard Extractor

• Supporter
  • 3102 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

So I have this trait in which I tend to care more about a figure when it's harder to find or limited. I know a few of my buddies think that's stupid and that I should just appreciate a figure at face value, but that's just not how my collecting is programmed. For example, I prefer Primal Prime over Optimal Optimus. Optimal's colors are pretty awesome, but he was just...some toy to me when he came out. Primal Prime was this super-limited, hard-to-find figure, and while I do love his appearance, I have to admit, he's just in Prime colors. But guess which one I still own and display! On the flip side, with the massive decrease in worth for a lot of Botcon toys over the last few years, I find myself liking some of them less. The "rarity" factor has decreased knowing that the figure isn't as desirable anymore. I can still look at Double Punch and say "Yeah, that's a pretty figure," but the collector appeal just isn't there for me. (I like his colors enough that I haven't sold him, though.)

So my question is this: do YOU feel this way about certain figures that are harder to find? Do you have any "rare" treasures you just love to show off or want to mention? 

bks_zps1odc4m2q.jpg

NEEDS: Beast Wars II DRILLNUTS (seriously)

My Wants List

Robowang's eBay Store - lots of TFs
My feedback

#2 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 34804 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

X-9 Ravage certainly fits that bill.  It looks nice, but it's no big upgrade over TM Cheetor and I was just ecstatic to get my hands on it a decade ago because it was so damn hard to get at the time.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#3 Vexwing

Vexwing

You are being deceived

• Citizen
  • 2490 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

*Glances lovingly at his Under-3, TM Claw Jaw, and Ikard/Tako Tank*

Yeah, I think I get that mentality.

Ambus_Sig_Vexwing_Under40.jpg
I'm on Twitter for some reason! Hell if I know why.
@vexwing
www.flickr.com/vexwing

#4 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 57963 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

I think it definitely applies.

No one would care about Stormjet, Spacewarp, green Ramulus, Energon Ultra Magnus, Reverb, most Lucky Draw figures, etc if they weren't rare or canceled figures (baring fiction to come after the fact - like with Spacewarp).

I know that I wouldn't care so much about the BAPE Convoys if they weren't rare.  Granted I'd get them, but obviously I like them more than I probably should due to the fact that they're rare and costly.

I definitely think you can also factor in whether someone got a good deal on a rare figure for increasing how much someone likes it.  If I paid $1,000 and not $50 for Spacewarp.  I certainly wouldn't like her as much as I do.  :D  Or if I caved and bought Stormjet off of eBay for $30 instead of $12 at KB Toys, I'd probably not like him as much either.  :D

TLDR, I definitely think it applies.

Randy

#5 Dracula

Dracula

Trade Rat

• Citizen
  • 3168 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:40 AM

Not really. Rarity to me is a boundary. I like toys that are fun and/or nostalgic and/or remind me of favorite characters and/or inspire my imagination. I'm likely to show more care to a rare or valuable item, but only because I don't want to have to replace it.

The most expensive toy in my collection is probably the MOTUC Castle Grayskull, and I bought that because I thought it was really frikkin' cool. Along similar lines, I own a copy of Rondo of Blood for PC Engine, and that only because it was my holy grail for more than a decade. 

Putting it another way, if I had the scratch, I would never buy a Lucky Draw figure or Stadium Events for NES, because they would bring me no value other than to say that I had a rare thing. 

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#6 Clutch

Clutch
  • Protoform
  • 22 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

I...don't think so really. Any time I have something that's harder to get I'm usually just more nervous that I'll accidentally break the thing one day.

#7 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 34804 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

Rarity's pretty much the only way I can explain people buying chromed Lucky Draw stuff, since you could spend less than half the money and have the damn figure chromed on your own with exactly the same result.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#8 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12157 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:50 AM

For some people, maybe. For me, definitely not. The end of scarcity is a good. I would like everyone to get access to the stuff I love, so they might love it too.

#9 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 5867 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

This applies to me to some degree.  For a number of years I took great pride in my ownership of a MIB G1 Overlord (until I sold it).  Currently probably my most valuable figure is RiD Brave Max and I like him in part because of his uncommon availability.

But I don't really like overpaying for something rare, so I like rarity if I can get it at a reasonable price.

QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#10 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6037 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

Rarity's pretty much the only way I can explain people buying chromed Lucky Draw stuff, since you could spend less than half the money and have the damn figure chromed on your own with exactly the same result.

Having a shelf of expensive gold transformers is one of those expressions of Trumpian excess.

card-soundwave.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#11 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

WTCHOP?!!!

• Retired Staff
  • 23554 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

Is it cool to own something for which there isn't even a picture of in the TFWiki yet?

Sure, but that's not why I picked it up. I just saw a tiny nondescript black & white box, without even a single picture on it, at Botcon sitting amongst a ton of stuff at a Japanese dealer's table at Botcon, and asked a fellow collector if he knew what it was. We were both pleasantly surprised.

Me, because random Speed Racer swag is cool. My compatriot, more likely because uncommon TF swag is cool. I had no idea that this was something special. I just thought it would be cool and fun in the same way I would appreciate a Bot Shot of a beloved character.

Let's just say that it was very fortunate for our friendship that the dealer had more than one, and we both left very happy.

Having a cool random story is way more fun than, "I spent a boatload of money on eBay for this."

Here he comes, here comes Mach 5 Prime, he's a demon on wheels....

Attached Thumbnails

• 1816531VMtKbGnS.jpg

VOTE FOR SNAPDRAGON: GETTING KRUNK SINCE 1987!

card-snapdragon.jpg

#12 Engledogg

Engledogg
  • Citizen
  • 2082 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

I definitely think you can also factor in whether someone got a good deal on a rare figure for increasing how much someone likes it.  If I paid $1,000 and not $50 for Spacewarp.  I certainly wouldn't like her as much as I do.  :D  Or if I caved and bought Stormjet off of eBay for $30 instead of $12 at KB Toys, I'd probably not like him as much either.  :D

This.  

To me, owning a rare figure is great and all, but to get a great deal on one is awesome.  For example, my Beast Wars X-2 Diver and VS-X1 Snapper vs. Armor Volcano set are great, but my 99-cent Beast Wars X-2 Diver and VS-X1 Snapper vs. Armor Volcano set are awesome.

MIKE
engledogg

#13 Chip

Chip

The light which smashes lies!

• Citizen
  • 6359 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

It's the opposite for me. If it's rare, I have to worry about how to replace it if it breaks, and that's gotten way more pronounced now that I have kids. I don't need the stress. And I've found that the mass retail toys are more "real" to me. The big thing that got me started as an "adult collector" was the realization that Cyberjets were even more awesome than the Jetfire I'd grown up with, and they were $2.99. I'm in this because I like the idea of something interesting and well-engineered, which serves no useful purpose, and which you can buy with lunch money.

I did enjoy having the occasional toy made just for collectors back when that was novel, but at this point that market's way too spoiled to be much fun. I've sold very nearly all of my BotCon toys. I'll admit that part of this is my growing antipathy toward the collector-driven fandom. Plus, owning a lot of stuff that had appreciated in value was pretty helpful during the first few / most expensive years of day care. I got more for SG Rodimus than I got in trade-in for my Nissan.

#14 Dracula

Dracula

Trade Rat

• Citizen
  • 3168 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

Yeah, I remember selling off my Botcon 2006 set (the only funpub set I ever got) and buying a tablet with the money. I never once felt an ounce of regret over that sale. 

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#15 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 9872 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

I'm in Canada. They're all rare.

#16 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6037 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

I don't buy 'em much anymore to be honest with ye. So every purchase now is a special thing. I do like it when they go offbeat with the characters you never even expected to see as a toy again, does that count as rare? Sure it's a mass retail toy, but it's something you'll only really have happen once in a blue moon ie a rare occurrence. Any old year is going to have 5 Bumblebees released, but a Straxus? Now that's rare.

card-soundwave.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#17 Caboo

Caboo

Local Tentacle Maiden

• Supporter
  • 20044 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

Generally I like toys more when they're one of my favorite MLP characters, yes. =P

In all seriousness, rarity is a cool bonus to a figure, in the same sense expense is, but it hardly trumps a more enjoyable toy. Botcon Treadshot is cool, but I still love RotF Dunerunner more and I have almoat dozen of that toy.

#18 Robowang

Robowang

Nard Extractor

• Supporter
  • 3102 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

I think it definitely applies.

No one would care about Stormjet, Spacewarp, green Ramulus, Energon Ultra Magnus, Reverb, most Lucky Draw figures, etc if they weren't rare or canceled figures (baring fiction to come after the fact - like with Spacewarp).

I know that I wouldn't care so much about the BAPE Convoys if they weren't rare.  Granted I'd get them, but obviously I like them more than I probably should due to the fact that they're rare and costly.

TLDR, I definitely think it applies.

Randy

YES. Getting a good deal on something makes it even better!

I recently won a bunch of less-than-current-eBay-value auctions with the intentions of reselling at a profit. I made enough profit on the rest of the stuff that I got to keep G1 Metalhawk, Deathsaurus, and Dinoking for free! (And they are complete and gorgeous...with boxes!) 

Edited by Robowang, 18 January 2017 - 11:53 AM.

bks_zps1odc4m2q.jpg

My Wants List

My feedback

#19 Megaplex Prime

Megaplex Prime

Manly things, like a tiger ripping apart a gazelle, or a lawyer.

• Citizen
  • 4289 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

Rarity helps increase the value in my mind, but it's not the end-all, go-all for why I buy a TF.

Some rare ones I buy cus rare, and some, I enjoy cus of rarity, but most of the rare ones, I play with maybe once or twice then plug in a box and never look at it again, cus I'm terrified of wearing it thin by playing with it too much.

So there's the rub.

I'm drunk, leave me alone. :drunk

#20 Robowang

Robowang

Nard Extractor

• Supporter
  • 3102 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

This.  

To me, owning a rare figure is great and all, but to get a great deal on one is awesome.  For example, my Beast Wars X-2 Diver and VS-X1 Snapper vs. Armor Volcano set are great, but my 99-cent Beast Wars X-2 Diver and VS-X1 Snapper vs. Armor Volcano set are awesome.

MIKE
engledogg

THAT is amazing. Nice scores! Was this a long time ago or something more recent? 

bks_zps1odc4m2q.jpg

My Wants List

My feedback

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users