Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 November 2017 - 01:25 PM)

I could handle going back to not existing. x.x;

@  Bass X0 : (19 November 2017 - 01:14 PM)

Life is the brief recess we get from not existing before going back to not existing.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 November 2017 - 01:10 PM)

Nah.. Life is simply the precursor to death.

@  Bass X0 : (19 November 2017 - 12:41 PM)

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 November 2017 - 08:37 AM)

You won't be at school or work anymore... so mitigated success.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2017 - 05:21 PM)

Just don't try to plug yourself into an outlet. It won't end well.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2017 - 04:57 PM)

Trying to stay awake at work or school is a lot like using your controller when it's on low battery

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 10:31 AM)

If you're used to doing it with tabs, that makes sense. It doesn't feel weird for me.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:28 AM)

Also, it just feels weird if switching between webpages uses the same actions as switching between programs.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:21 AM)

I switch between different things on the browser and click on various plugins and stuff far more often than switching from program to program.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 10:19 AM)

Yeah I'm mostly just venting from frustration rather than trying to convince anyone, though @NotVeryNightly I will point out that the windows for the other programs I'm running are at the bottom of the screen as well.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:09 AM)

Tabs are on the top, near the address bar, browser tools, plugins and whatnot so the cursor will be there frequently anyway. Switching windows would require going down the screen.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 10:03 AM)

I mean, you do you. No bigs. You've just got a fairly unique stance that surprised me.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 09:54 AM)

I haven't seen words on the bottom bar of the screen since XP.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:13 AM)

All of which is put on the point that I don't care if people want to use tabs, I just want the option to not have them present for me on my browser.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:12 AM)

@Shrug- A quick glance at the bottom of the screen shows me what is open and where. Load times are basically so trivial that the load indicator on a tab is something I didn't notice until you mentioned it. The "which instance is playing noise" is a fair point but has basically only really been approaching meaningful for me maybe twice in all the time tabs have existed.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:07 AM)

@NotveryKnightly- I have never encountered a situation where that is true, especially given that tabs are on the other side of the screen to the other things I'm switching through.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:06 AM)

@ Nevermore- The windows at the bottom have the names of the websites on them, presuming you don't collapse them.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:08 AM)

Geez, this is reminding me of the awful pre-tab days.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:07 AM)

I can look at the tab to see if it hasn't finished loading yet. Now you can see which tab is playing sound, so no need to hunt through windows to find a video ad that started playing.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:07 AM)

And a quick glance lets me know whats open and where. No clicking multiple windows hunting for something. No waiting for some window preview to pop up (which wasn't available when tabs first started.)

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 06:03 AM)

Switching between tabs is way quicker than between windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:09 AM)

It's like having a clear structore with sub-directores, instead of just having all files on your computer stored in one giant directory.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:08 AM)

This way, I can switch between windows and then select the tab, instead of always trying to remember which window is for which website.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:07 AM)

I find one browser window with multiple tabs a lot easier to handle alongside other windows than multiple browser windows alongside other windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

I find multiple tabs a lot more comfortable than multiple windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

erm... no?

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 03:26 AM)

On mobile devices and whatever I understand why tabs would be a thing, but on a full desktop browser it's just- "Hey, here's a thing that's kind of like opening a new window, but objectively worse in every practical way"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 November 2017 - 01:41 AM)

Someone remind me again: which versions of the CW Hot Spot mold did not suffer from bad hip ratcheting?

@  BlackMax : (16 November 2017 - 06:33 PM)

Holy crap I just pushed the F11 key for the first time on a keyboard since about 1994.

@  Shrug : (16 November 2017 - 01:11 PM)

tabs being wretched bs is definitely an opinion I've never seen before

@  RC85747 : (16 November 2017 - 08:25 AM)

Vivaldi lets you hide the tab bar

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 07:45 AM)

Yeah but that gets rid of everything else as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 November 2017 - 07:33 AM)

Hit F11 Pennpenn

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 04:15 AM)

I get that people like tabs. Fine. Whatever. I just detest the fact that most current browsers don't let you have the option of just hiding the bar away so I don't have to even think about the wretched bullshit things.

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

Does anyone know of a browser that doesn't force tabs on you? Just... any sodding browser that doesn't have tabs.

@  Telly : (16 November 2017 - 01:59 AM)

being mostly wrong is better than being TOTALLY wrong!

@  BlackMax : (15 November 2017 - 09:26 PM)

ALL HAIL THE BLESSED OCTOBUTT.

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 08:24 PM)

I really hope so. All of my high school drawings and notes (Hand-written notes! God, I'm old.) from girls are in a chest in the attic of my parents house. I'll check when I visit!

@  MEDdMI : (15 November 2017 - 06:39 PM)

Do you still have those drawings?

@  BlackMax : (15 November 2017 - 06:31 PM)

I think lesbian ninjas is just an unmitigated good idea. *shrug*

@  Devcon : (15 November 2017 - 05:56 PM)

well, that and Balloon Doggies, Mr secretary

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 04:12 PM)

It's my crowning Allspark achievement! You're welcome.

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 04:05 PM)

"Someone" being me. No mystery to it, I used to draw a lot during class when I was in high school. I came up with lesbian ninjas, which were a specialized team of assassins with amazing hair and impeccable style. I scanned some of my drawings and mentioned them a few times on the ezboard 17 years ago, and people seemed to like the idea.

@  Copper Bezel : (15 November 2017 - 01:05 PM)

Thanks in any case!

@  Copper Bezel : (15 November 2017 - 01:05 PM)

Oh, wow. That is ages ago. 

@  Telly : (15 November 2017 - 01:03 PM)

ages ago meaning when the spark was still on ezboard

@  Telly : (15 November 2017 - 01:02 PM)

i think maybe it was part of a title of a movie someone posted ages ago and the "lesbian ninja" part stood out and people just latched on to it. please note this is possibly totally and completely wrong cause my memory is terrible anymore

@  Copper Bezel : (15 November 2017 - 12:11 PM)

I don't think it's a fandom thing, I think it's an Allspark thing. Or that's been my perception. Mayhem has some lesbian ninja regulars now but I think the reference is much older. = ] 

@  Robowang : (15 November 2017 - 11:02 AM)

Who knows. I always thought it was stupid.

Photo
- - - - -

Rarity: Does It Make You Like Toys More? And What Do You Have That Is "Rare"?

131 replies to this topic

#1 Robowang

Robowang

Nard Extractor

• Supporter
  • 3296 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

So I have this trait in which I tend to care more about a figure when it's harder to find or limited. I know a few of my buddies think that's stupid and that I should just appreciate a figure at face value, but that's just not how my collecting is programmed. For example, I prefer Primal Prime over Optimal Optimus. Optimal's colors are pretty awesome, but he was just...some toy to me when he came out. Primal Prime was this super-limited, hard-to-find figure, and while I do love his appearance, I have to admit, he's just in Prime colors. But guess which one I still own and display! On the flip side, with the massive decrease in worth for a lot of Botcon toys over the last few years, I find myself liking some of them less. The "rarity" factor has decreased knowing that the figure isn't as desirable anymore. I can still look at Double Punch and say "Yeah, that's a pretty figure," but the collector appeal just isn't there for me. (I like his colors enough that I haven't sold him, though.)

So my question is this: do YOU feel this way about certain figures that are harder to find? Do you have any "rare" treasures you just love to show off or want to mention? 

NEEDS: Beast Wars II DRILLNUTS 

Beast Wars Powerpinch

Beast Wars Returns Strika

Beast Wars Returns Obsidian

SCF Chase figures - see post here - plenty to trade

Robowang's eBay Store - lots of TFs

MY WANTS LIST

My feedback

#2 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 36225 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

X-9 Ravage certainly fits that bill.  It looks nice, but it's no big upgrade over TM Cheetor and I was just ecstatic to get my hands on it a decade ago because it was so damn hard to get at the time.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#3 Vexwing

Vexwing

You are being deceived

• Staff
  • 2943 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

*Glances lovingly at his Under-3, TM Claw Jaw, and Ikard/Tako Tank*

Yeah, I think I get that mentality.

35806863916_c3f0822359_o.jpg
I'm on twitter for some reason! Hell if I know why.
@vexwing
www.flickr.com/vexwing

Wanted: BotCon 2000 Apelinq & BotCon 2001 Tigatron

#4 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 60006 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

I think it definitely applies.

No one would care about Stormjet, Spacewarp, green Ramulus, Energon Ultra Magnus, Reverb, most Lucky Draw figures, etc if they weren't rare or canceled figures (baring fiction to come after the fact - like with Spacewarp).

I know that I wouldn't care so much about the BAPE Convoys if they weren't rare.  Granted I'd get them, but obviously I like them more than I probably should due to the fact that they're rare and costly.

I definitely think you can also factor in whether someone got a good deal on a rare figure for increasing how much someone likes it.  If I paid $1,000 and not $50 for Spacewarp.  I certainly wouldn't like her as much as I do.  :D  Or if I caved and bought Stormjet off of eBay for $30 instead of $12 at KB Toys, I'd probably not like him as much either.  :D

TLDR, I definitely think it applies.

Randy

#5 Dracula

Dracula

IS DEAD NOW

• Staff
  • 4110 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:40 AM

Not really. Rarity to me is a boundary. I like toys that are fun and/or nostalgic and/or remind me of favorite characters and/or inspire my imagination. I'm likely to show more care to a rare or valuable item, but only because I don't want to have to replace it.

The most expensive toy in my collection is probably the MOTUC Castle Grayskull, and I bought that because I thought it was really frikkin' cool. Along similar lines, I own a copy of Rondo of Blood for PC Engine, and that only because it was my holy grail for more than a decade. 

Putting it another way, if I had the scratch, I would never buy a Lucky Draw figure or Stadium Events for NES, because they would bring me no value other than to say that I had a rare thing. 

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#6 Clutch

Clutch
  • Citizen
  • 56 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

I...don't think so really. Any time I have something that's harder to get I'm usually just more nervous that I'll accidentally break the thing one day.

#7 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 36225 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

Rarity's pretty much the only way I can explain people buying chromed Lucky Draw stuff, since you could spend less than half the money and have the damn figure chromed on your own with exactly the same result.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#8 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12216 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:50 AM

For some people, maybe. For me, definitely not. The end of scarcity is a good. I would like everyone to get access to the stuff I love, so they might love it too.

#9 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 5905 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

This applies to me to some degree.  For a number of years I took great pride in my ownership of a MIB G1 Overlord (until I sold it).  Currently probably my most valuable figure is RiD Brave Max and I like him in part because of his uncommon availability.

But I don't really like overpaying for something rare, so I like rarity if I can get it at a reasonable price.

QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#10 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6394 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

Rarity's pretty much the only way I can explain people buying chromed Lucky Draw stuff, since you could spend less than half the money and have the damn figure chromed on your own with exactly the same result.

Having a shelf of expensive gold transformers is one of those expressions of Trumpian excess.

card-soundwave.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#11 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Staff
  • 24498 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

Is it cool to own something for which there isn't even a picture of in the TFWiki yet?

Sure, but that's not why I picked it up. I just saw a tiny nondescript black & white box, without even a single picture on it, at Botcon sitting amongst a ton of stuff at a Japanese dealer's table at Botcon, and asked a fellow collector if he knew what it was. We were both pleasantly surprised.

Me, because random Speed Racer swag is cool. My compatriot, more likely because uncommon TF swag is cool. I had no idea that this was something special. I just thought it would be cool and fun in the same way I would appreciate a Bot Shot of a beloved character.

Let's just say that it was very fortunate for our friendship that the dealer had more than one, and we both left very happy.

Having a cool random story is way more fun than, "I spent a boatload of money on eBay for this."

Here he comes, here comes Mach 5 Prime, he's a demon on wheels....

Attached Thumbnails

• 1816531VMtKbGnS.jpg

VOTE FOR SNAPDRAGON: GETTING KRUNK SINCE 1987!

card-snapdragon.jpg

Spoiler

#12 Engledogg

Engledogg
  • Citizen
  • 2134 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

I definitely think you can also factor in whether someone got a good deal on a rare figure for increasing how much someone likes it.  If I paid $1,000 and not $50 for Spacewarp.  I certainly wouldn't like her as much as I do.  :D  Or if I caved and bought Stormjet off of eBay for $30 instead of $12 at KB Toys, I'd probably not like him as much either.  :D

This.  

To me, owning a rare figure is great and all, but to get a great deal on one is awesome.  For example, my Beast Wars X-2 Diver and VS-X1 Snapper vs. Armor Volcano set are great, but my 99-cent Beast Wars X-2 Diver and VS-X1 Snapper vs. Armor Volcano set are awesome.

MIKE
engledogg

#13 Chip

Chip

The light which smashes lies!

• Citizen
  • 6716 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

It's the opposite for me. If it's rare, I have to worry about how to replace it if it breaks, and that's gotten way more pronounced now that I have kids. I don't need the stress. And I've found that the mass retail toys are more "real" to me. The big thing that got me started as an "adult collector" was the realization that Cyberjets were even more awesome than the Jetfire I'd grown up with, and they were $2.99. I'm in this because I like the idea of something interesting and well-engineered, which serves no useful purpose, and which you can buy with lunch money.

I did enjoy having the occasional toy made just for collectors back when that was novel, but at this point that market's way too spoiled to be much fun. I've sold very nearly all of my BotCon toys. I'll admit that part of this is my growing antipathy toward the collector-driven fandom. Plus, owning a lot of stuff that had appreciated in value was pretty helpful during the first few / most expensive years of day care. I got more for SG Rodimus than I got in trade-in for my Nissan.

#14 Dracula

Dracula

IS DEAD NOW

• Staff
  • 4110 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

Yeah, I remember selling off my Botcon 2006 set (the only funpub set I ever got) and buying a tablet with the money. I never once felt an ounce of regret over that sale. 

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#15 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 10152 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

I'm in Canada. They're all rare.

#16 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6394 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

I don't buy 'em much anymore to be honest with ye. So every purchase now is a special thing. I do like it when they go offbeat with the characters you never even expected to see as a toy again, does that count as rare? Sure it's a mass retail toy, but it's something you'll only really have happen once in a blue moon ie a rare occurrence. Any old year is going to have 5 Bumblebees released, but a Straxus? Now that's rare.

card-soundwave.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#17 Sappholopod

Sappholopod

You Can Still Call Me Caboo~

• Supporter
  • 20934 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

Generally I like toys more when they're one of my favorite MLP characters, yes. =P

In all seriousness, rarity is a cool bonus to a figure, in the same sense expense is, but it hardly trumps a more enjoyable toy. Botcon Treadshot is cool, but I still love RotF Dunerunner more and I have almoat dozen of that toy.
Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#18 Robowang

Robowang

Nard Extractor

• Supporter
  • 3296 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

I think it definitely applies.

No one would care about Stormjet, Spacewarp, green Ramulus, Energon Ultra Magnus, Reverb, most Lucky Draw figures, etc if they weren't rare or canceled figures (baring fiction to come after the fact - like with Spacewarp).

I know that I wouldn't care so much about the BAPE Convoys if they weren't rare.  Granted I'd get them, but obviously I like them more than I probably should due to the fact that they're rare and costly.

TLDR, I definitely think it applies.

Randy

YES. Getting a good deal on something makes it even better!

I recently won a bunch of less-than-current-eBay-value auctions with the intentions of reselling at a profit. I made enough profit on the rest of the stuff that I got to keep G1 Metalhawk, Deathsaurus, and Dinoking for free! (And they are complete and gorgeous...with boxes!) 

Edited by Robowang, 18 January 2017 - 11:53 AM.

Beast Wars Powerpinch

MY WANTS LIST

My feedback

#19 Megaplex Prime

Megaplex Prime

With a lactating basilisk and a K-sized Sharoda!

• Citizen
  • 4434 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

Rarity helps increase the value in my mind, but it's not the end-all, go-all for why I buy a TF.

Some rare ones I buy cus rare, and some, I enjoy cus of rarity, but most of the rare ones, I play with maybe once or twice then plug in a box and never look at it again, cus I'm terrified of wearing it thin by playing with it too much.

So there's the rub.

I'm not Antifa, I'm not violent. But try to look at it from my perspective for 5 seconds. I see 1 side who wants my hugging blood. Literally. And I see another standing in opposition of them, clearly willing to take any stance they need to to stop them. Then I see a bunch of people hemming and hawing and wringing their hands about the whole thing.

Who am I supposed to feel more protected by?

#20 Robowang

Robowang

Nard Extractor

• Supporter
  • 3296 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

This.  

To me, owning a rare figure is great and all, but to get a great deal on one is awesome.  For example, my Beast Wars X-2 Diver and VS-X1 Snapper vs. Armor Volcano set are great, but my 99-cent Beast Wars X-2 Diver and VS-X1 Snapper vs. Armor Volcano set are awesome.

MIKE
engledogg

THAT is amazing. Nice scores! Was this a long time ago or something more recent? 

Beast Wars Powerpinch

MY WANTS LIST

My feedback

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users