Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

Photo

Ted Cruz and Ron DeSantis proposes Congressional Term Limits....WAIT!?

GOP What?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 Ironbite

Ironbite

TIME JUDGED ALL!

• Supporter
  • 29937 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

Uh.....what fresh sanity is this?

Source: http://www.washingto...article/2610799

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and Florida Rep. Ron DeSantis introduced a constitutional amendment on Tuesday that would impose term limits on members of Congress, following through on their December announcement about the proposal.

"D.C. is broken," Cruz said in a statement Tuesday evening. "The American people resoundingly agreed on Election Day, and President-elect Donald Trump has committed to putting government back to work for the American people. It is well past time to put an end to the cronyism and deceit that has transformed Washington into a graveyard of good intentions."

The proposal would limit senators to two terms (12 years total) and representatives to three terms (six years total). President-elect Trump campaigned on reining in Congress by implementing term limits, though it is unclear if the incoming administration has been involved in the proposal, which comes during Congress' first week in session this year.

Both Cruz and DeSantis are Republicans.

"President Trump, Speaker Ryan and huge majorities of the American people are demanding term limits," said U.S. Term Limits President Philip Blumel. "Congress must listen and pass the Cruz-DeSantis amendment immediately."

A Rasmussen Reports survey from October found three-quarters of Americans supported implementing term limits, while 13 percent did not.

The amendment was co-sponsored by Republican Sens. Deb Fischer of Nebraska, Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, Thom Tillis of North Carolina, Marco Rubio of Florida, Mike Lee of Utah and David Perdue of Georgia.

Cruz has supported other bills to reform the political process, including ending super PACs, lifting caps on individual contributions and centralizing the campaign finance system. Cruz and Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., introduced the SuperPAC Elimination Act of 2017 last year to remove caps on individual contributions.

LIke seriously.  This is not gonna pass but holy hell this is just amazing.

Ironbite-ACTUAL PROGRESS!

xC9l3eY.gif

#2 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

And we're back to meh

• Administrator
  • 35322 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

I think the monsters in politicians clothing are more than a little spooked by the mob of pitchfork wielding deplorables that they now answer too. So pretty much anything they just promised they're going to try to force, good or bad. Which is pretty fucking scary. And hilariously King Rat himself (The Donald) may be the most reasonable freak at the table since he just wanted the power and money and doesn't give a fuck about giving the deplorables anything. He doesn't need eight years to rob us blind anyway. Needing eight to do that is both sad AND pathetic. :wtf

#3 Teufel

Teufel

They are dead, for they have no dreams

• Supporter
  • 6661 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:05 PM

Meh, seems more like a PR stunt considering its chances. Unless the Republicans and Democrats can somehow goad each other into actually passing it. The term limits seem arbitrary. Why two Senate terms? I happen to think if the people like someone enough to keep sending them back to DC they should have that right, so it's not something I'd support. But if it passed I'd hope it'd be something more like 20-30 years in office being the limit. Gives them time to get experience and make an impact but maybe prevent them from being elected for life like Thurmond and Byrd.

Then again that they brought forth anything that looks like positive reform is almost downright impressive compared to what the House Republicans were cooking up for one of their first acts.

#4 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 11224 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

Wow. I've been hoping for term limits for Congressmen for a while now, but those limitations? Those seem more stringent than even I suggested.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#5 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14693 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

When those in power start demanding limits to that power, it's time to start paying attention to what's coming. 

I give all of those people less than a mustard seed of credibility when it comes to thinking of the good of the American People. I don't know whether they're really just that scared of what they've created or what, but these are not individuals who'll willingly relinquish power.

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#6 Princess Viola

Princess Viola
  • Supporter
  • 32048 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

Term limits that low will just give lobbyists more power tbh.

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#7 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11467 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:17 PM

Is introducing something you know will fail really progress?

#8 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

Meh, seems more like a PR stunt considering its chances. Unless the Republicans and Democrats can somehow goad each other into actually passing it. 

I thought that only worked when you made it about 9/11?

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#9 M Virion

M Virion

Sin against Creation

• Retired Staff
  • 19656 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

I'm not sure this is actually a good thing. Not without a moratorium on lobbying being proposed at the same time, otherwise with terms this low politicians will be less concerned about governing and more concerned about establishing a resume.

#10 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11467 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

And will probably spend all 6/12 years campaigning instead of working

#11 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 11224 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

True enough. As much as I like the idea of term limits for Congressmen, cracking down on lobbyists would be something I'd want first.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#12 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*angry horse noises*

• Administrator
  • 42361 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

I think this does have a chance. Trump's ethics reform package was the centerpiece of his final campaign push, and I'll be bold enough to say it's probably what swung undecideds at the end. Tackling that first would build up a lot of political capital, which they'll desperately need if they're going to consider any of the "I can't believe he just said that" parts of his platform.

That said, these limits would be too harsh. I don't want to have committee chairs that are still learning the ropes of their basic congressional duties. But from a strategic standpoint, starting at an extreme could allow them to negotiate this down to something that easily sounds reasonable in comparison.

Personally though, I'd really like to see longer terms as part of any term limit package. Part of what's broken here is that House members get a single year to work before it's an election year again. Maybe that used to be enough, but elections last so damned long now.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#13 Bainreese

Bainreese
  • Retired Staff
  • 15755 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

Lobbyists are a problem and so are Term limits.  We can fix one and work on fixing the other but I would prefer not to just let one slide because we can't fix the other.

·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>
·´¯`·.. ><((((º> ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

#14 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49685 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

I find it interesting that no mention is made to Congress giving up their lifetime paychecks.

Also I'm amused Deb "Vacant Seat" Fischer decided to attach her name to this. Makes me strongly suspect This is more an exit strategy for these folks so they don't have to come up with excuses not to run for re-election more then anything.

#15 M Virion

M Virion

Sin against Creation

• Retired Staff
  • 19656 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

Longer terms are definitely something that would be a good idea, Fnu. I remember watching a documentary that talked about how much of a politician's time is simply spent having to campaign and how badly that cuts into their time actually getting things done. That + Limits would be good.

I still think lobbying needs to be addressed first or this could become an even worse problem than the one we're dealing with now though.

Lobbyists are a problem and so are Term limits.  We can fix one and work on fixing the other but I would prefer not to just let one slide because we can't fix the other.

I'd liken it to a complex piece of machinery. Sometimes you have to fix components in a specific order to keep from doing even worse damage to the whole system. 

#16 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*angry horse noises*

• Administrator
  • 42361 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

It really has become an issue now that every election is a national election. House members don't just go back to their district and campaign during the summer recess. That's clearly over. The campaign funding is national, the press is national, and the press demands to make a year-long spectacle out of it. I don't know if there's a way to fix that, but we could at least give congress more years of not having to focus on it.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#17 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49685 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:17 AM

The problem is they made it a national focus. Fischer only won because she outspent her opponent and got party celebrities like Palin to endorse her. She certainly didn't win due to her outstanding platform of public service, like her opponent had.

Of course, the flip side of that coin is again, Democrats need to stop being Smaug when it comes to spending treasure down ballot.

#18 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44836 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:20 AM

Seems like you don't just need term limits and an end to lobbyists, you need to apply legal caps to length of campaigns and financial caps to both campaign and donations.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#19 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11467 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

Seems like you don't just need term limits and an end to lobbyists, you need to apply legal caps to length of campaigns and financial caps to both campaign and donations.

Well we already lost the financial caps battle with the legality of Super PACs and corporations now allowed to be people.

#20 Blacknife

Blacknife

Never heard of it; never will

• Citizen
  • 6098 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

A huge part of me is wondering if they are looking at Sanders continued tenure and going "thats the damn future if we dont do it now."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users