Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 December 2017 - 10:11 AM)

"Have you tried lighting the darkest hour, sir?"

@  unluckiness : (18 December 2017 - 08:07 AM)

"The toy's been trying to kill me and the toaster's been laughing at me."

@  wonko the sane? : (18 December 2017 - 06:05 AM)

"The missile failed... I'll have to finish this personally..."

@  MEDdMI : (17 December 2017 - 10:44 PM)

Next thing you know, you'll wake up with Unicron looming over you, holding a knife.

@  Paladin : (17 December 2017 - 07:51 PM)

i remember the missile gears malfuctioned a lot. damn thing once shot me in the middle of the night.

@  Fenix Twilight : (17 December 2017 - 06:54 PM)

Just transformed Unicron probably for the first time since I got him in 03, fun stuff. Still would like a new version but since they just did another release last year I guess we're stuck with that mold.

@  Shrug : (17 December 2017 - 06:16 PM)

Yeah, I think that might work on the red one, if I can find a neon enough yellow

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 December 2017 - 06:10 PM)

How about neon yellow/green? Like on Krok?

@  Shrug : (17 December 2017 - 05:45 PM)

I'm dealing with a black/grey robot and a red/black robot.

@  Shrug : (17 December 2017 - 05:44 PM)

I'm thinking of making some figures "G2" with minor paint additions: a little panel lining, probably. What colors in small amounts make you think G2?

@  Nevermore : (17 December 2017 - 05:41 PM)

Don't worry, it was grammatically correct, it just wasn't "fluent". :)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 December 2017 - 03:29 PM)

Scheiße.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 December 2017 - 03:22 PM)

Damn. I initially thought of writing "Herzliche Glückwünsche", but I thought that didn't fit because we don't know each other in real life. But I forgot to check for quantity after dropping "Herzliche".

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 December 2017 - 03:14 PM)

It'll be nice when they finally perfect universal translation algorithms

@  Nevermore : (17 December 2017 - 02:43 PM)

In German, you only pluralize "Glückwunsch" when it's several people congratulating someone. As in, "I received everyone's congratulations."

@  Nevermore : (17 December 2017 - 02:42 PM)

That's actually a hypercorrect literal translation that immediately reveals you as a non-native speaker.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 December 2017 - 01:04 PM)

Glückwünsche!

@  ILoveDinobot : (17 December 2017 - 12:34 PM)

Grats Nevermore.

@  Shrug : (17 December 2017 - 12:13 PM)

That's awesome, congrats!

@  WorkbenchManiac : (17 December 2017 - 11:14 AM)

Congratulations!

@  Nevermore : (17 December 2017 - 11:11 AM)

And top top it all off, my employer will offer a one-off bonus for moving to permanent late shift, and another annual bonus if I stay on permanent late shift for an entire year.

@  Nevermore : (17 December 2017 - 11:10 AM)

That's basically my personal dream shift.

@  Nevermore : (17 December 2017 - 11:09 AM)

No more getting up early. Also, every work week will be from Monday to Friday, with the weekends off.

Next year I will have the option for permanent late shift.

Soon I'll be free!

@  RichardT1977 : (17 December 2017 - 07:59 AM)

Did I miss something, or did the whole movie pass without

Spoiler
?

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 December 2017 - 02:18 AM)

TBH, the use of the word "boudoir" seemed a bit more out of place to me than the humour... has a non-English Terran language ever been established as existing in Star Wars before?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 December 2017 - 01:28 AM)

It's not like it's a big deal anyway. I mean, anything with Aurebesh in it is demonstrably non-canon, because there's no X in Aurebesh so X-Wings wouldn't be called X-Wings, right?

@  unitremover : (16 December 2017 - 11:48 PM)

That said, I do think it is really weird that

Spoiler

@  unitremover : (16 December 2017 - 11:47 PM)

Yeah, TLJ felt a lot more mindful about when it broke out the quips/jokes than I think the Marvel movie comparison implies

@  2017 : (16 December 2017 - 09:35 PM)

I'm fine with the humour because the rest of the universe feels legit, and it's not ten quips a minute like those bloody Marvel movies.

@  Waspinator : (16 December 2017 - 09:22 PM)

It's mostly

Spoiler

@  Waspinator : (16 December 2017 - 09:21 PM)

Do spoiler tags work here?

Spoiler

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 December 2017 - 08:13 PM)

Less than 3 hours to go, now

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 December 2017 - 08:11 PM)

Also, it can't be worse than those awful "sarcastic" jokes in the beginning of AotC that were meant to establish a camaraderie between Anakin and Obi-Wan where it was clear that none existed.

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 December 2017 - 08:09 PM)

Doesn't sound like something I'll be bothered by; movies have to change at least a little bit with the times

@  Waspinator : (16 December 2017 - 07:59 PM)

Yeah, there was some sarcastic humor that wasn't really present in the classic movies

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 December 2017 - 02:00 PM)

I didn't have a problem with it. But it DOES skew a bit more "modern" in ways the humor of prior films didn't, short maybe Rogue One

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 December 2017 - 01:20 PM)

I'm staying spoiler-free until I see it tonight, but a number of people seem really angry at the humour in the film

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 December 2017 - 01:19 PM)

I've already noticed some backlash against it over on blu-ray.com, but a lot of it seems to stem from anger about the Disney/Fox deal

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 December 2017 - 11:23 AM)

Because internet.

@  Bass X0 : (16 December 2017 - 11:20 AM)

Why are people getting so upset with other people's opinions of a family space movie?

@  wonko the sane? : (16 December 2017 - 10:43 AM)

I have lost my entire morning to a god damn nose bleed...

@  RichardT1977 : (16 December 2017 - 10:21 AM)

Turn around, bright eyes...

@  Pennpenn : (16 December 2017 - 01:18 AM)

Bismillah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 December 2017 - 12:30 AM)

DOOT DOO DEDOODOO

@  MEDdMI : (16 December 2017 - 12:16 AM)

MAHNA MAHNA

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 December 2017 - 12:12 AM)

Though we touched and went our separate ways...

@  Echowarrior : (15 December 2017 - 09:56 PM)

We're running with the shadows of the night...

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 December 2017 - 03:42 PM)

Sweet dreams are made of this. Who am I to disagree?

Photo
- - - - -

The God Damn GoBots Wiki is live! (pg 10)

1236 replies to this topic

#21 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 8330 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

Well geez, you lot, guess I'm setting up a GoBots wiki this weekend.

DAEH6hLUAAAgb9l.png

#22 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 6428 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

so what would the difference be between this one and the one locoman linked to? wouldnt it be essentially the same thing?

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#23 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 2544 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

Ours will have funny captions, and blackjack, and hookers.
"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#24 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 24955 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Also, ours will be ours.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#25 Creedence

Creedence
  • Citizen
  • 8282 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

so what would the difference be between this one and the one locoman linked to? wouldnt it be essentially the same thing?

Be good, I suppose.

#26 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 8885 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

And actually be updated by people who know how to make a good wiki and not entirely copy-pasted from Ignash's awful cartoon "summaries."

#27 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Knight of Infinity

• Staff
  • 5119 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

N7ouMBM.jpg

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#28 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 8330 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

And actually be updated by people who know how to make a good wiki and not entirely copy-pasted from Ignash's awful cartoon "summaries."

Oh shit, I thought the formatting seemed familiar. It really is just all Ignash's Wikipedia pages...

DAEH6hLUAAAgb9l.png

#29 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 8885 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:19 PM

Once seen, it cannot be unseen. Universal, awful, everywhere. That anyone can think that is a good way to present information - so utterly, bullheadedly confident that they go off and make their own wiki - baffles me to this day.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 04 January 2017 - 06:19 PM.

#30 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 11956 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:22 PM

I'm on my phone and phone posting is garbage but I wanted to put this thought out now to prompt some discussion:

A GB wiki cannot -or at least should not- treat GB coverage as TFWIKI treats TF coverage, as the latter franchise is a vast, still-thriving franchise and the former... isn't.

M "Can Probably Get Away With Redundancies And A Broader Scope Of Coverage" Sipher
The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#31 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 2544 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

So what's the best way to handle characters like The Evil One and Stretch, who are canonically dimension-jumping Transformers?
"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."

#32 Daniel Adkins

Daniel Adkins
  • Citizen
  • 1309 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

On that note: Given how much less "diverse" GoBots is than Transformers, I think putting together some form of character infoboxes listing alt mode, first appearance in fiction, toy source, etc might be a good idea. No reason to just blindly ape TFWiki in everything.

I still think that would be a good thing to implement on the IDW Wiki as well.

And hey, if you're making it, Jala, I'd be happy to provide janitorial services (since my GoBot knowledge is "Retroactively part of TF and ones called Crasher.")

#33 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Knight of Infinity

• Staff
  • 5119 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

Just the Evil One when he is the Evil One, with an external link to "The Fallen" on TFWiki. As for Stretch, leave out his Animated origin, with a link to the TFWiki as well?

#34 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

• Citizen
  • 8885 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

Yes, literally that - GoBots wiki describes their role in GoBots fiction, link off to TFWiki - with a note that clearly explains what the deal is - for everything else.

#35 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 2544 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

And then the GoBots who appeared in Echoes and Fragments get full write-ups of that story on GBwiki (while the story itself and the Transformers characters stay on TFwiki), if I'm grokking this?

#36 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 20016 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

If I can make the time, I'll pitch in. 

Lexicon: still up and running!

"At my last intern briefing, Craig was clearly tired. His message had changed to, "Stay out of trouble, period." It seemed that, as director of security, Livingstone was growing old fast. If he didn't watch out, he'd become one of us - a 'Mormon' or a 'straight,' which is what Clinton staffers called FBI agents, the Secret Service, and former Bush employees."

Aldrich, Gary. Unlimited Access Washington D.C.: Regency, 1996. Pg 38

Please visit my Half.com store

Deviant Art page

#37 Dracula

Dracula

IS DEAD NOW

• Staff
  • 4149 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

When I have a few minutes and don't have a blinding headache, I'll compile a list of Gobots toys I have that are suitable for photography. I know I can at least provide us with Command Center and Thruster photos.

[And I would love to write the toy blurbs for the ones that I have]

Edited by Dracula, 04 January 2017 - 06:37 PM.

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#38 Chip

Chip

The light which smashes lies!

• Citizen
  • 6785 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

So what's the best way to handle characters like The Evil One and Stretch, who are canonically dimension-jumping Transformers?

That's canon on the TF side, but it shouldn't have primacy on a GB wiki. Mention it, yes.

Go Bots was too short lived to have the same depth as TF's 30 year brand, but it had some breadth. Various incarnations of Robo Machines, etc. I think it would make sense to cover it all, with Machine Robo acknowledged as the hub of it. This isn't Transformers, and Bandai's contributions have been the most lasting by far.

#39 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Knight of Infinity

• Staff
  • 5119 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

So where GoBots locations, technology, etc. have also appeared in Transformers, we should external link between TFWiki and GBWiki, yes?

#40 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 11956 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

Okay, home now, so it is physically easier for me to articulate some stuff...

The amount of GB material is pretty dang finite, and of a vastly smaller scale than Transformers. The latter'd be pretty true even if we stopped paying attention to anything past the 80s. And there's not likely gonna be much more added to it. So a GB wiki can be afforded some... leeway that the TF/IDW wikis shouldn't have.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the IDW Hasbro Wiki currently doesn't full-cover comic issues and whatnot that are "fully" under the TF umbrella, right? Which makes sense. There's vast tons of TF material predating the shared universe, plus it being a new, indefinite series means that duplicating articles can very well lead to information creep, so you want to minimize that. That's not really gonna be an issue with GoBots. And I'm not a fan of making people jump sites too much. I think a GB wiki could easily get away with replicating/adapting the pages for the TF-umbrella stories (excising much of the TF-specific trivia notes), and basically replicating the toy entries from TFwiki on the character pages.

That said, I'm with Chip in that the wiki should also be unambiguously clear as to what was from the original series, and what was tacked on two decades later, and keep priority on the former.

I do also feel like Machine Robo and whatever follow-ups should be taken under consideration. No, they're not GoBots in the same way that Diaclone isn't Transformers, but again, scale plays a big factor, and it's a different situation anyway since MR is still sort of up and alive, and putting out new product that sure seems at least partially aimed at GoBots fans. Yeah, actual-Tonka-GoBots should take priority.

M "Just Some Thoughts. Really Can't Treat The Two Franchises The Same" Sipher

The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users