Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

Photo
- - - - -

Guillermo del Toro, Dreamworks, and Netflix's "Trollhunters"

48 replies to this topic

#1 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

This premiered on Netflix several days ago, on the 23rd, and it caught my eye. I ended up tearing through it over the Holiday weekend before finishing it last night. I ended up really, really enjoyed it.

Here's the basic run-down of the story: the main character, Jim Lake, lives alone with his mother in Arcadia Oaks, which happens to be built on top of a mystical city inhabited by trolls. The trolls are protected by the "Trollhunter", a warrior wielding a mystical amulet that allows him to don armor and wield the power of daylight, which has the power to turn trolls into stone. What follows is Jim having to learn how to wield his new powers and stop a conspiracy of evil trolls from summoning their leader Gunmar back into our world.

My thoughts essentially turned into a review, and as it gets rather long, I'm putting it under a spoiler cut:

Spoiler

Long story short, I strongly recommend "Trollhunters". Between this series and stuff like "Voltron: Legendary Defender", as well as others, Dreamworks and Netflix have an incredibly strong animation line up, and I personally feel like they're filling a void in animation that channels like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon have left unfilled.

EDIT - One thing I forgot; this series also stands as one of the last things that Anton Yelchin (who you may recognize as Pavel Chekov in the new Star Trek movies) worked on. After his passing, del Toro refused to recast him or erase his work from the final product, and I'm incredibly thankful for that, because he brings a lot of heart and earnestness to his performance as Jim throughout the series. While I'm confident that the crew will find a suitable replacement for him in the second season, I feel neither Jim or "Trollhunters" as a whole will feel quite the same without Anton.

Edited by Razorsaw, 28 December 2016 - 09:12 AM.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#2 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:55 AM

I've really been meaning to set aside some time for this, that feeling grows more urgent with each positive impression.

#3 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13473 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:01 AM

The title gives me a wonderful vision in my head of Guiliermo smashing Twitter eggs in MAGA hats.

but the actual premise sounds interesting enough; I'll have to check this out...

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#4 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:13 AM

The title gives me a wonderful vision in my head of Guiliermo smashing Twitter eggs in MAGA hats.

but the actual premise sounds interesting enough; I'll have to check this out...

to be fair I would totally watch that

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#5 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4804 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

I've had this recommended to me recently. Or rather, I mean, my mother texted me to say "I found something by that guy you like".

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~Coco Chanel

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#6 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17372 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:25 PM

I watched the first two episodes last weekend, wasn't really impressed.  Is it a slow-starter, or are the first two episodes a good gauge of the series?

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#7 Robogeek1973

Robogeek1973
  • Retired Staff
  • 15529 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:16 PM

Just finished episode 19.

It's a fun show with some eye rolling moments, but it's still fun nonetheless.

#8 The Jawa

The Jawa

Utinni!

• Citizen
  • 4188 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:42 PM

Sad this thread wasn't in reference to ...  https://en.wikipedia...ki/Trollhunter

It's little known and ultimately GLORIOUS!!!

-~- The Jawa -~-

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they eat rainbows and poop butterflies..."

#9 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:56 PM

I watched the first two episodes last weekend, wasn't really impressed.  Is it a slow-starter, or are the first two episodes a good gauge of the series?

---Dave

I'd say yes. Like I said, it's pretty typical at the start, but things build up pretty steadily. I think by episode 5, the elements have all started to come together and the show starts making good on its potential. That's where we start getting more perspective on Troll society and the duties of a Trollhunter and what all it entails.

#10 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 43598 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

Huhn. Okay, I was of the opinion to check this out anyway, but you've pushed it up a bit on my list. Thought it was a movie though... But then I wasn't looking overly hard at it either.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#11 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9550 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:40 PM

I just finished the run of it last night and Razorsaw's assesment is pretty well on the nose. I'll admit the first few episodes are a slow burn but once you get into the larger world of it all it gradually becomes fleshed out more and more and keeps you watching. Especially as the dynamic between Jim and one of the unmentioned villains continues to build across the season. Plus he mentioned Yelchin and Perlman but the rest of the voice cast is pretty good too. Tom Hiddleston, Kelsey Grammer, Fred Tatasciore,and minor roles for Clancy Brown and Steve Yuen.

I one nitpick is that there is one thread left hanging into the next season that seemed like it should have been addressed so much sooner but oddly is only started into as the season ends. I'm sure you guys will pick up on it and it makes some sense as to why it's not immediately concerning but the scope of it seems like it should of been priority one.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#12 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:37 PM

... I'm not sure what plot point you mean. Could you say what it is under a spoiler cut?

#13 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9550 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:47 AM

Really it's explained in the series.

Spoiler

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#14 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:05 AM

Really it's explained in the series.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Razorsaw, 31 December 2016 - 05:05 AM.

#15 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17372 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

I watched up through the 16th birthday episode last night.  There's some good stuff in there, but also way too much Sitcom Cringe for my tastes (and no, I almost never watch Sitcoms because anxiety-driven humor just annoys me).  

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#16 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 43598 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

I killed the show last night. Awesome series... when's season 2? :)

#17 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13473 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:23 AM

I finished this a while ago. IT is indeed a very good series.

Full thoughts within-

Spoiler

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#18 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3146 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

I tried watching the show, but the first episode was exactly how NOT to get me hooked: microscopic hint of something amazing followed by endless highschool drudgery. I tried fast-forwarding, but that caused Netflix to crap out and I haven't bothered since.

#19 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13473 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

Good news: Netflix has ordered a second season!

http://www.ign.com/a...ed-for-season-2

"Bad" news: it's only half as long as the first season.

#20 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 43598 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

Huhn... I wonder why?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users