Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Verno : (11 July 2020 - 11:20 PM)

2021: :idea :rolleyes :p :D

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:20 PM)

Perfection. :thumbsup

@  Patch : (11 July 2020 - 06:17 PM)

My plans:  :hmm  2020:  :)

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Our plans for 2020 were as amazing as Optimus Prime. But then 2020 came like Hot Rod.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 05:50 PM)

Indeed....

@  Bass X0 : (11 July 2020 - 05:40 PM)

"He who dies with the most toys wins."

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:11 PM)

Hey you, get moving, it's not too far, you're looking good so come as you are. Hey you, you never know what you'll see, when it's through that door with the 73.

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:10 PM)

Hey you, get ready, get on your feet. Get into gear and hit the street.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 12:46 PM)

I recall number 73 (old british show) discussing the Transformers movie and had the presenters trying to transform a few figures, one argued his deflated beach ball was a Transformer too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

And he's a big ball, but he's not the biggest ball of them all. (That'll be Pulse Unicron.)

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 07:37 AM)

Trypticon so scared my Primus figure he turned into a ball.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 July 2020 - 09:56 PM)

King Nine, however, will not return.

@  Bass X0 : (09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM)

Bass_X0 will return after these messages ^^^

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 July 2020 - 03:37 PM)

WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOARRGH

@  -LittleAutob... : (09 July 2020 - 02:06 PM)

Okay?

@  Otaku : (09 July 2020 - 07:47 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Ah, but the series itself has pronounced "Bass" both ways. ;)  Oh, 90s English Capcom video game voice acting...

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 July 2020 - 03:14 AM)

Looking at my Titan Returns collection I can see they realised they didn't have to paint the Titan Masters after wave one, lazy bums.

@  Maruten : (08 July 2020 - 09:13 PM)

No, I'm going with "fish".

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 July 2020 - 04:19 PM)

He stated that it's in reference to the Mega Man character, so it follows the series' tradition of music names.

@  Cybersnark : (08 July 2020 - 03:59 PM)

The real question is if it's "bass" as in music or "bass" as in the fish.

@  Otaku : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Well, at least now I know how to pronounce @Bass X0 's screen name. ^^'  Rather, I think I'd just forgotten.  In my defense, it really does look like an emoticon or maybe just "decoration", which is what a lot of folks add to their screen names online.  Usually because someone has the name they really want. XD

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Extremely unimpressed with your idea that someone making a negative observation you don't like means they "got triggered."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (08 July 2020 - 11:16 AM)

You know somebody asked "And this would be in relation to... what exactly?"

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Its because someone got triggered over my random musings instead of just ignoring them. If I read one of your comments that is of no relevance or interest to me, I don't feel the need to say so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (08 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

All this over someone's username lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 08:34 AM)

Bazro.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (08 July 2020 - 06:34 AM)

It could be Bass 10-0

@  Nevermore : (08 July 2020 - 06:11 AM)

How do you pronounce yourself? "Bass Ex-O" or "Bass Ex-Zero"?

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 03:23 AM)

I did almost go with Vile Bass X0, because Vile is cool too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 July 2020 - 08:34 PM)

Bossk Saw

@  ▲ndrusi : (07 July 2020 - 04:16 PM)

Bass XD

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 03:43 PM)

And its not Bass XO, its Bass X0, as in Bass, X and Zero from the Mega Man series.

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:33 PM)

@Trpodeca :( :(

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Thats what a gray rock is? Then I'm not one.

@  Trpodeca : (07 July 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Man I just learnt about what seemed like a really cool show, only to realize it was a dream and it dosen't really exist.

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 01:02 PM)

Just something I read that I wanted to share. I heard "gray rock" mentioned in a video, so I looked it up and that was the definition.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 July 2020 - 12:20 PM)

It's a fancy way of saying "Ignore annoying people".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (07 July 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Bass XO has a habit of pasting random drivel here as if doing so were profound.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 July 2020 - 11:30 AM)

And this would be in relation to... what exactly?

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 11:25 AM)

"One strategy for dealing with a narcissist or sociopath is to act like a "gray rock," meaning that you become uninteresting and unresponsive. You don't feed their needs for drama or attention. You don't show emotion, say anything interesting, or disclose any personal information"

@  Nevermore : (06 July 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Oh wow. Studio Series Offroad Bumblebee is awesome. His articulation is amazing.

@  -LittleAutob... : (06 July 2020 - 11:18 AM)

Oof-

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

I got Studio Series 39 Cogman yesterday and woke up to find he'd decapitated my titans returns figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM)

If I had a sarcasm powered mouth.. ooohh waaaiiittt...

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 05:01 PM)

Heh

@  Bass X0 : (04 July 2020 - 02:56 PM)

"If I had sarcasm-powered legs, I'd do a happy dance...!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 July 2020 - 02:39 PM)

The real clones were the friends we made along the way.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 01:47 PM)

So the Emperor in episodes 1 through 6 was a clone?

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

Photo
- - - - -

Official MLP tabletop RPG coming to North America

66 replies to this topic

#21 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17336 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:05 PM

It could well have been a Savage Worlds playtest session, the more I think about it.  

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#22 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11710 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:11 PM

So, not quite the straight D6 system I'm familiar with; all characters have Attributes (DEX, PER, KNO, STR, MEC, TEC), Skills vary from character-to-character, but are derived from Attributes (so if you want to use a skill your character doesn't have, you can just roll the base attribute). Special abilities (like magic) act like Attributes, having Skills (or "spells") attached to the base attribute dice. Movement has a base min/max (walking/sprinting) for different forms (walking, flying, swimming, etc).

Characters start from baseline templates (instead of "classes") and are customized by the player (I was thinking this game could easily get away with three basic templates for Earth Pony, Pegasus, or Unicorn).

And yeah, in D6, skill levels are measured by number of dice (with one die serving as the Wild Die for critical fails [1] or success [6]):

Generally:
0D - character is physically unable to use this skill (due to injury or handicap)
1D - character is bad at this
2D - character is below average
3D - character is pretty good at this
4D - character has probably had formal training in this skill
5D - character can perform this skill well enough to run a business associated with it
6D - character could teach this skill academically
7D - character is locally-known expert
8D - character is a worldwide recognized authority
9D - character can perform "impossible" feats worthy of an action movie protagonist

(Most Attributes are capped at around 3D, but specific skills can go higher.)

The Attributes here seem to be BODY (probably standing in for Strength and Dexterity), MIND (standing in for Knowledge and the Mechanical/Technical aptitudes), and CUTENESS (which I guess would be mostly Perception), with separate lists for Talents, Weaknesses, and Stamina (which I'd otherwise expect to be under "Body"). The gameplay itself is probably simplified to not need specific skill numbers, which is probably a good idea for the younger players.

#23 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18297 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

Huh. I thought what is now Cuteness was originally Charm (it seemed to cover the Persuasion style stats).

http://riverhorse.eu...t-line-preview/
A lot of interesting things here:
-Despite seeming like it's making a point of mostly focusing around D6s, it's still offering the full dice range.
-Some dice are being offered in themed tins. What makes this interesting is the unicorn tin swapping Twilight for Starlight. Also, the tin come with mini adventure hooks.
-An actual bestiary! Catches my attention since in the homebrew system I'm GMing, that has always been one of the biggest system complaints.
Spoiler

#24 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17336 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, Pastel Cloud has a d4 in one of her skills, so this isn't all d6.  Again, probably similarities to Savage Worlds where better skill = bigger die type rather than more dice.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#25 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18297 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:58 PM

Did anyone else get this?
Spoiler

#26 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17336 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

Well, I ordered it.  It hasn't arrived at my shop, though.  Amazon has a few copies.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#27 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7617 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:09 PM

I got it. There's not much to it IIRC, it really relies on your already knowing everything about the show and the world and the characters I think? But it's a pretty nice book and I'm keen to check out the supplements etc.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#28 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17336 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

Does it use a "better skill = bigger die type" resolution system, or multiple dice?

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#29 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7617 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

The former, although I guess as you scale up it slides into the latter? Character creation is "if you want to be tough, put D6 in your Body and D4 in your Mind"; AJ has a Body score of D20, and an Ursa Minor has a Body score of 3xD20. Zecora's Mind score is D20 + D6. So there's a bit of everything when it comes to what you need to roll.

Edited by Maruten, 12 May 2017 - 07:54 PM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#30 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18297 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:54 PM

Well, I ordered it.  It hasn't arrived at my shop, though.  Amazon has a few copies.

---Dave

I think the releases were staggered between Europe, online international, and USA/Canada brick & mortar (based on emails I've gotten). I just got mine today.

Does it use a "better skill = bigger die type" resolution system, or multiple dice?

---Dave

I haven't fully read it yet but with a quick search, dice roll amounts get bigger per level with players selecting which of the three stats gets upgraded. I'm guessing that gaining more dice will come from individual talents but I'll see once I read the full thing.
Spoiler

#31 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17336 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:38 PM

So, basically Savage Worlds-style.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#32 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18297 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:06 AM

Interesting things of note:

-There really is no escaping the early Season 1 stock art, is there? Most of the book looks good but that makes those stand out even more when they show up.
-The book mentions the minis...
-"Although the horn can be used as an ordinary horn" intrigued that was called out.
-Earth pony stats look like they have a base level advantage outside of individual Talents.
-While combining flight and cloud tangibility is pretty standard for pony RPGs, telekinesis directly allows you to create (dim) light instead of having two separate powers.
-The book point blank does not let you directly create an alicorn. The pieces are obviously there for advanced players but the Rules As Written without any sort of supplement currently say no.
-The elements don't directly give you benefits. Rather, it's just a personality identifier that the GM can sometimes have individual effects trigger off of in the plot. In some ways, this makes 'Magic' odd since it isn't a personality trait.
-Both physical and psychological damage can reduce Stamina. What's most interesting is that for as friendly and non "killer GM" as things seemed to be setup in the book, regaining Stamina looks to be very slow. At the very least, it seems holistic. No one thing outside of leveling up causes a full heal but numerous small things combined add up (sleeping comfortably in a bed is better than just sleep in the wilderness, eating healthy regains Stamina, etc).
Spoiler

#33 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18297 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:34 PM

-The three ponies on the cover and used in other promotional material don't have their stats outlined in the book. I wonder if they'll show up in the full campaign materials.
-I've found typos but I'm boring so of course I did. Only one might cause a gameplay concern and it feels minor.
-The Mane Six and Zecora do have stats listed and they are clearly not lvl 1 characters (though it doesn't state what level they are). Twilight is her alicorn version which, ignoring the joke of her breaking one of the stated rules, she lacks the earth pony specific Talent Stout Heart despite otherwise having flight and telekinesis.
-Earth ponies intriguingly present the positive side of the "Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards" coin in being more survivable early on. While they get a base buff to Body, unicorns and pegasi don't get base buffs to Mind or Charm.
-The list of gear is surprisingly detailed and the system does have an actual money system. Feels thematic with about the only omission seemingly being medical gear but I think that's deliberate considering a few other things. There is a panacea healing salve ("ponybalm").
-The implied level cap is 10 but that is also supposedly where bigger quests will be offered.
-Unicorns can get a Stun Ray talent. Because horn lasers.
-The base difficulty of teleporting is actually higher than the base amount of the skill you can get at level 1.

Let me know if anyone has anything they want me to directly look at.
Spoiler

#34 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17336 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:45 AM

Okay, finally got a copy, going to Amazon after Diamond/Alliance spent months refusing to actually ship any to my local store.

Dude, it's so close to Savage Worlds that I'm surprised there wasn't a mention of that game or its designer in the credits.  Like, you could probably grab a Savage Worlds supplement off the shelf, change the names to be more Pony-compatible, and use it otherwise as-is.  The only real difference is the lack of the Wild Die, although the "acing" mechanism of exploding dice is slightly nerfed (it's not automatic, you have to declare you're trying it and roll only one die: in SW, any die can explode and get rerolled as the next higher die type if you get the max).

Lack of credit aside, though, it's pretty well done.  Caught a few minor typos (misspelling Chrysalis, for instance), but nothing on the level of the poor editing of Roan.  And there's some obvious gaps in the core system (no rules for flexible magic, for instance), but they seem fairly confident they'll get to flesh it out in supplements.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#35 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17336 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:37 AM

Later thought: Savage Worlds Rifts exists.  Glittercolts!

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#36 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17336 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:14 PM

Got my copy of the "Curse of the Statuettes" supplement today.  It has character sheet pads and a GM screen, plus a set of dice.  It's a box set, and the box is deliberately oversized...once you remove the cardboard spacers, the main rules fit inside nicely alongside everything else.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#37 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18297 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:51 PM

Was there anything of interest as far as rules or worldbuilding?
Spoiler

#38 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17336 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:59 PM

I haven't actually read the adventure yet, just skimmed it.  Seemed to be more along the lines of GM-ing advice than new rules, but there's stuff about the region the adventure takes place in.  Also, stats for Tatzlwurms, among other things.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#39 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51483 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:45 PM

Fairly random, but another item that is both official and MLP role play - a HASCON exclusive MLP-themed D&D-branded dice set. Thought this would be the best place to mention it and it probably didn't warrant its own thread. Sorry if I'm late and you all know about this already. = ]

I hate that it's a con exclusive, this would be a really lovely thing to have, despite the D&D. I'm still using a virtual dice roller. = P

Edited by Copper Bezel, 28 July 2017 - 04:46 PM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#40 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18297 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:37 PM

Interesting. It's not bad but I'd think that it would represent the Mane Six if it used all of their coat colors or if it used their element colors. Still, not bad and I'm sure some will desire the tin. I've actually been rolling physical dice for a while now since I now have all denominations instead of just d6s and d20s.
Spoiler

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users