Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 June 2020 - 11:46 AM)

The toys had some good parts. They also had Side Swipe.

@  wonko the sane? : (06 June 2020 - 10:55 AM)

I mean, still addicted to minicons...

@  -LittleAutob... : (06 June 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Energon and Cybertron WERE boring... and Starscream was just messed up in those shows....

@  Cyoti : (06 June 2020 - 10:01 AM)

a toyline searching for a story

@  TheMightyMol... : (05 June 2020 - 07:47 PM)

Eh. It had a few ideas that could've been interesting. They just never went anywhere because it was easier to have Megatron brainwash everyone.

@  Nevermore : (05 June 2020 - 07:41 PM)

Energon's biggest problem is that it was made.

@  Paladin : (05 June 2020 - 05:15 PM)

remember when Energon had to switch animation styles because their CGI models were completely incapable of expressing emotions ?

@  Thundercrack... : (05 June 2020 - 04:42 PM)

And what was done to Demolisher to a lesser extent.

@  Thundercrack... : (05 June 2020 - 04:34 PM)

Energon's biggest problem is what it did to Starscream.

@  TheMightyMol... : (05 June 2020 - 04:00 PM)

I mean, they took all of that and the series is still dull enough to use as a sleep aid, so....

@  wonko the sane? : (05 June 2020 - 02:46 PM)

It's a food source, a weapon and so unstable that looking at it funny makes it explode. If energon is boring, blame the writers not the element.

@  TheMightyMol... : (05 June 2020 - 02:17 PM)

Energon's big problem is that it's boring.

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 June 2020 - 01:48 PM)

Double post ignore.

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 June 2020 - 01:44 PM)

Energon was the worst of the lot.

@  Bass X0 : (05 June 2020 - 05:39 AM)

"I know I can't catch you.... but I can... trap you...!"

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 June 2020 - 11:51 PM)

They dubbed reaction shots and running scenes in the first two UT shows with "huh?" and grunts. very annoying.

@  Sabrblade : (04 June 2020 - 06:10 PM)

Watch it in Japanese with English subs. Karyuudo did all that work for us so that we could. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (04 June 2020 - 06:08 PM)

I tried... but it just wasn't that good. The comics were better.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 June 2020 - 04:07 PM)

I didn't even watch Armada when it originally aired.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 June 2020 - 01:52 PM)

Anyone watch Armada anymore ._.

@  JRSBill : (03 June 2020 - 01:06 PM)

bain

@  Maximus Ambus : (03 June 2020 - 04:14 AM)

UBI is coming.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 June 2020 - 09:30 PM)

I can just HEAR his screechy G1 voice saying that....

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 June 2020 - 09:30 PM)

*Dies laughing* XDDDDDD

@  TheMightyMol... : (02 June 2020 - 07:01 PM)

Megatron's coupon has failed! Now I, Starscream, shall speak to your manager!

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 June 2020 - 06:39 PM)

(i just want to make jokes excuse my doing)

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 June 2020 - 06:38 PM)

ITS STARSCREAM.... AND HIS CLONES

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 June 2020 - 06:31 PM)

And there was no one there when I started!

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 June 2020 - 06:31 PM)

I swear, I'm in line to use a coupon, there is something wrong with said coupon, and suddenly I'm holding up a line of 3 or 4 people

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 June 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Ha! Talk about getting away with something!

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 June 2020 - 09:08 AM)

Carnivac was still an evil Decepticon at heart, and no one shot him in the back for it.

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 May 2020 - 06:52 PM)

*stares at the light switch* .... I see what you did there

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (30 May 2020 - 01:40 PM)

*hands llittleautobot1218 a light switch* There you go.

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 May 2020 - 10:53 AM)

I feel a need to lighten up the mood.... ;)

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 May 2020 - 10:38 AM)

:p

@  Maximus Ambus : (30 May 2020 - 02:14 AM)

Shockwave did it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (30 May 2020 - 12:21 AM)

I'm not in the US and at least some of the episodes seem to work for me. I don't know the actual list of places it's available, though.

@  Shockwave 75 : (29 May 2020 - 10:37 PM)

Unfortunately It seems Cyberverse is only available in the US on YouTube.

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 May 2020 - 09:19 AM)

Yes, and its ongoing.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (29 May 2020 - 01:05 AM)

Cyberverse is already officially uploaded to YouTube.

@  fourteenwings : (29 May 2020 - 12:36 AM)

Spin Master is abridging current episodes of Bakugan Armored Alliance and posting the result on YouTube. Maybe Hasbro does that someday too.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 May 2020 - 10:59 PM)

I see... :/

@  wonko the sane? : (28 May 2020 - 08:14 PM)

Within the US anyway. Those channels aren't easy or cheap to access in other countries, and their website often region lock content. Tubi is the only good thing on that list: largely identical (but not perfectly so. Damnit. I wanna watch COPS.) country to country and free.

@  Steevy Maximus : (28 May 2020 - 07:24 PM)

So yeah, Hasbro is using plenty of venues to spread exposure of their brands

@  Steevy Maximus : (28 May 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Starz currently licenses Transformers G1 and the GI Joe movie (as well as MLP specials). Netflix has more current series available.

@  Nevermore : (28 May 2020 - 07:21 PM)

Study shows: Holders of the title "world's oldest person" have a severely increased risk of dying.

@  Steevy Maximus : (28 May 2020 - 07:18 PM)

Tubi TV and Youtube both host various Hasbro cartoons. Both are freely accessed and ad supported. Any basic TV package (barring straight antenna) includes channels like USA Network, SyFy and FX, all of which regularly air the films from Transformers and GI Joe.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 May 2020 - 06:18 PM)

I dunno what to tell you, media might be changing slowly, but at least it's still accessible. Even the folks that DON'T get one of the streaming services can watch it on the company website. It's a vehicle for the toy line after all, they need to make an effort to make it as consumable as possible.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 May 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Well. Thats said, then.... I guess... :doh

@  wonko the sane? : (28 May 2020 - 04:13 PM)

As long as the the cartoons are profitable, then they'll make more. The media it's shown on is completely irrelevant. I say that as a guy whose earliest surviving memory is a big red truck turning into a big red robot.

Photo
- - - - -

Stranger Things on Netflix - SPOILERS

245 replies to this topic

#201 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Corrected an Ancient oversight

• Supporter
  • 63066 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:29 AM

it wasn't the best place to start Hopper off this season that's for sure... but it was a very human place so I can forgive it for that.  understanding of course that it might not sit right with everyone ... especially in a situation like you describe Corvus.

However, being at least a step back from it I could look at it as the narrative device it was and say "well" that's slightly uncomfortable behavior from a 'hero' character... now let's see where they go with it. 

to be fair to Hopper though. Mike has always been a bit of a dick  

#202 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33406 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:17 AM

To be fair, Mike is the DM. Being a bit of a dick is one of the position requirements. 😉
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing. But too much of an awesome thing is…umm…really, really dumb and bad. " - Strong Bad

#203 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17717 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:14 AM

I didn't notice Mike being much of a dick in S1 and 2 honestly, but he absolutely was at points in S3. I mostly chalked it up to him becoming a teen.

-ZacWilliam, I wonder how long they will keep it going with these kids (cause eventually they won't BE teens) and if they'll eventually bring in more new kids at Erica's age...
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#204 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 17658 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:24 AM

Mike has always been a little asshole. Season 3 was peak assholery.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#205 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19580 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:05 AM

Yeah no. I give the character of Hopper a lot of credit for not snatching Mike off the bed and throwing him bodily out of the house. Hopper does have his problems with the macho BS, but as we learn, he really did sit down and try to approach the conversation from an understanding and accepting view point - with the intent to explain his feelings. El and Mike (being teens) were rude and unkind in their response to his halting attempt and it took a lot of self-control for Jim to NOT get physical. And Mike has always been a bit of a prick. He's made numerous wrong-calls thinking he's smarter than the rest (it doesn't help that the actor has a real Martin Shkreli Backpfeifengesicht). There was blame to go around. That's one of the good things about this show though, I've felt most of the characters are fairly real, warts and all. And they do grow.

In the end, my chief complaint about this season was it felt more self-aware. Where the first especially, and the second a bit less felt like "adventure shows that were made in the eighties", this felt much more like "a show made today that remembers the eighties". It got a bit Goldbergsian at points which was distracting.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#206 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33406 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:23 PM

I don't give credit for people restraining themselves from getting needlessly physical with children, because that's what you're supposed to do.

Anyway, thanks Destron. I appreciate your response.

Edited by CORVUS, 16 July 2019 - 12:27 PM.

"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing. But too much of an awesome thing is…umm…really, really dumb and bad. " - Strong Bad

#207 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19580 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:41 PM

Fair enough, and it's not my intent to lessen your experiences. My apologies.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#208 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6820 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:14 PM

Nearly on par with season 1, better than season 2.

Loved all of it.

The scene with Will not being interested does not read as him being gay, it reads as him still being stuck in there younger days of being interested in DnD instead of romantic relationships be they heterosexual or homosexual. The bulk of his character this season is built around his friends being more interested in romantic relationships than there friendship. The scene around the destruction of Fort byeres and the focus on character sketches DnD mags etc reinforces this. The conclusion of this arc is him non begrudgingly giving up his stuff to the donation box, and the other kids making it clear that while DnD isn't everything to them anymore, it's still something they care about and have time for.

While this could later be recontexualized as his delayed interest in romantic relationships being influenced by him questioning or wrestling with his sexuality, as presented it's a character arc of not letting go of childhood.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#209 Caldwin

Caldwin

Duality Personified

• Supporter
  • 25716 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:45 PM

*sits down calmly and rationally*

I'll try and read up on the rest of this topic in a bit. But right now I must say something...

Spoiler

*deep breath*

All I can say is that it's a good thing I don't know what to say at the moment, because I don't think much of it would get through the swear filters. I will say this much though.

Season 1: True horror...probably the best season

Season 2: I think it's really impossible for a horror movie/show to have a sequel that's equally horrific as the first. Alien had to become more action than horror with Aliens. Nightmare on Elmstreet II was nowhere near as good as the first and then it just went downhill from there. I think a part of it is just the fact that after the first, you know the rules. You know what the monster is, where it comes from, more or less what makes it tick and how it can be defeated. They did a decent job here introducing the Mind Flayer and making it even worse than the Demogorgon. And I really did like Season 2...except for episode 7...but let's just pretend that didn't happen and move on. It was a decent sequel. But even with the Mind Flayer, it just didn't hold quite the same terror as the first season.

Season 3: I don't know. It just seemed more self-aware than the other seasons. The balance between comedy and horror just seemed to a bit too skewed towards comedy. I mean, I'm supposed to be scared when the Steve and Robin are being interrogated by the Russians, but I'm laughing my ass off because I guess drugged people are funny. Oh...yeah...mother...hugging...Russians! I honestly found them more threatening than the Mind Flayer.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I did enjoy the hell out of it. There were some legit scares. And the series as a whole is total love. It's just...damn! There are bitter-sweet endings and then there's just bitter!

I think I need a moment alone.
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#210 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9093 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:39 AM

Oh yeah, season 3 is totally comedy. Especially the SONG, haha

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#211 Caldwin

Caldwin

Duality Personified

• Supporter
  • 25716 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:21 PM

the SONG

Spoiler

PSN = Caldwin

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#212 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17717 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:56 PM

Honestly everyone I watched with ranked that as the best or near best moment of the season. The juxtaposition between the moment and the situation was kind of the point.

-ZacWilliam, ST had always been a swirl of 80s kids adventure, action and horror and there were definite moments this season where the former two were stronger than the latter, but I don't think the show was weaker for that.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#213 Caldwin

Caldwin

Duality Personified

• Supporter
  • 25716 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 01:05 PM

Well, don't get me wrong. I absolutely enjoyed this season. So far, even the weak moments of ST are still enjoyable. I'm not going to say Season 3 is weak. Not really. It's just slightly weaker than season 1&2 IMO.

I kinda noticed the same thing with Evil Dead. The first movie was horror/camp leaning more towards horror. The second movie had a bit more of a mix. The third was almost straight dark comedy.

It kinda feels the same here. Not that it's bad in any way. I just find myself preferring the more horror-centric first season.
PSN = Caldwin

#214 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63066 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:12 AM

I'm okay with the series evolving... not all of steven king's books are scary in the same way... so it fits the conceit that the show wobbles around scary and funny... its a tension / release duality 

the song was perfect in this regard... tense moment .. comedy... and then "WHAM" now we have to deal with 

Spoiler

#215 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6341 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:50 PM

But probably not actually.
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#216 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63066 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:02 PM

maybe

#217 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23141 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:30 PM

I just finished the season. Spoilers:

Spoiler

#218 Caldwin

Caldwin

Duality Personified

• Supporter
  • 25716 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:46 PM

Spoiler

PSN = Caldwin

#219 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63066 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:50 PM

the stinger is about 11's father, not her dad 

#220 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3213 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

I think its framed to make you wonder exactly which way it is.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users