Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (29 April 2017 - 08:35 PM)

There are probably plenty of people who wouldn't know them from Adam. Me, for example.

@  Telly : (29 April 2017 - 08:18 PM)

not from me. id just put him on ignore

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (29 April 2017 - 08:16 PM)

I thought of something else about TFW2005 versus the Allspark. If Ignash was allowed back here, wouldn't that initiate lots of frustration and/or abandonment by people here?

@  Telly : (29 April 2017 - 08:09 PM)

with FRIGGIN laser beams on their FRIGGIN heads!

@  Lazy Garou : (29 April 2017 - 04:32 PM)

the do this to sharks. Friggin' sharks!

@  Lazy Garou : (29 April 2017 - 04:31 PM)

they don't kill. they eat half of your face, and you're left with a hideous tumor where the barnacle is.

@  Locoman : (29 April 2017 - 03:49 PM)

Perhaps the barnacle, consumed with guilt at what he'd done, took his own life after killing everyone

@  Lazy Garou : (29 April 2017 - 02:28 PM)

parasitic barnacles are the stuff of nightmares

@  MEDdMI : (29 April 2017 - 01:39 PM)

But barnacles don't have- *checks* "The main sense of barnacles appears to be touch, with the hairs on the limbs being especially sensitive. The adult also has a single eye, although this is probably only capable of sensing the difference between light and dark.[4]†This eye is derived from the primary†naupliar eye." Huh.

@  ▲ndrusi : (29 April 2017 - 01:29 PM)

He looked in a mirror

@  Evac : (29 April 2017 - 01:26 PM)

He was killed by his own ugliness. Kind of a "Hoist by His Own Petard" thing.

@  MEDdMI : (29 April 2017 - 01:12 PM)

How did the barnacle get killed if everyone died from his ugliness?

@  Whirl Maximus : (29 April 2017 - 11:09 AM)

I've been watching clips of the Japanese dub of the Sunbow movie. Comes with added SCREAMS!

@  Bass X0 : (29 April 2017 - 09:57 AM)

But the ugly barnacle realised he would grow up to become a beautiful oyster. Only he was killed before then for being so ugly.

@  Locoman : (29 April 2017 - 09:46 AM)

That didn't help at all!

@  Evac : (29 April 2017 - 09:32 AM)

Once there was an ugly barnacle. He was so ugly, that everyone died! The end.

@  Bass X0 : (29 April 2017 - 09:16 AM)

But Disney kept making movie sequels, because Disney.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 April 2017 - 09:06 AM)

And then a zombie ate him. The End!

@  Nutjob R/T : (29 April 2017 - 08:48 AM)

And then Scrooge put Tiny Dull Mind on his shoulder. "God bless us every one!" shouted Tiny Dull Brain.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 April 2017 - 06:05 AM)

Sanity is the crutch of a dull mind.

@  BlackMax : (29 April 2017 - 06:04 AM)

The former is needful. The latter is a situationally necessary demeanor.

@  BlackMax : (29 April 2017 - 06:03 AM)

I think people are confusing sanity with normalcy.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 April 2017 - 03:19 AM)

So we can fix them.

@  Bass X0 : (29 April 2017 - 02:32 AM)

why would any sane person come here anyway? 

@  Telly : (29 April 2017 - 02:27 AM)

im not sane. my mother had me tested

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 April 2017 - 02:12 AM)

We're not weird. You're just too sane.

@  Telly : (29 April 2017 - 02:11 AM)

*reads through shoutbox* theres some weird people on this board  :thumbsup

@  Pennpenn : (29 April 2017 - 12:45 AM)

I guess it'd be something like "lit-cad-or-et" presuming the p is still silent.

@  Bass X0 : (29 April 2017 - 12:44 AM)

Your grandma loves you!

@  RichardT1977 : (28 April 2017 - 09:34 PM)

@BlackMax Thank you, Dimitri Martin.

@  Evac : (28 April 2017 - 07:55 PM)

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'... Into the future~♪

@  BlackMax : (28 April 2017 - 06:49 PM)

God spelled backwards is dog. Cat spelled backwards is tac. Pterodactyl spelled backwards is really hard to pronounce.

@  Waspinator : (28 April 2017 - 06:46 PM)

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

@  LordGigaIce : (28 April 2017 - 06:12 PM)

you too, eh?

@  Locoman : (28 April 2017 - 05:40 PM)

Well, I don't know about you, but personally I clawed my way free from the corpse of a goat during the autumn equinox.

@  LordGigaIce : (28 April 2017 - 05:37 PM)

Yep. Also diseases are painful. And trucks are weird!

@  Bass X0 : (28 April 2017 - 04:41 PM)

we're all someone's daughters... we're all someone's sons...

@  Evac : (28 April 2017 - 03:22 PM)

Your creative writing professor is a god, then.

@  Diecast : (28 April 2017 - 03:17 PM)

My creative writing professor read that to my class once, all those years ago.

@  Evac : (28 April 2017 - 02:37 PM)

Sorry, whenever anyone brings up anything related to badfic, I immediately think of Repercussions of Evil.

@  Evac : (28 April 2017 - 02:29 PM)

"No! I must kill the trolls" he shouted. The radio said "No, John. You are the trolls" And then John was a shitposter.

@  Locoman : (28 April 2017 - 02:25 PM)

you lived like a spammer ans died to an moderator

@  Evac : (28 April 2017 - 02:17 PM)

He lived a spammer, and died a moderator.

@  WorkbenchManiac : (28 April 2017 - 02:04 PM)

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill posts along with the good and let me be judged accordingly."

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 April 2017 - 01:49 PM)

Fool! Snark is my friend! Allow me to introduce you to it!

@  Evac : (28 April 2017 - 11:49 AM)

And I... Have my sarcasm.

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 April 2017 - 11:47 AM)

Search history has changed! Spam forums triumph! And you....you no longer post relevant content!

@  Evac : (28 April 2017 - 11:46 AM)

Mayhem hazzzz planzzzz.

@  Nutjob R/T : (28 April 2017 - 11:36 AM)

Subforums don't die. They wait. And plan.

@  Benbot : (28 April 2017 - 09:44 AM)

Are there any plans to delete or move dead subforums?

Photo

Archie gets sued over Sonic OCs AGAIN

74 replies to this topic

#41 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:30 PM

LOL.  It was just a joke.  Mind you I had been saving that one since it happened...

I think I only had a dozen or so posts, anyway.  No hard feelings.

EDIT: And, um...we might've jumped the gun?

https://www.sonicsta...kely-cancelled/

Now the rep is saying the subscriptions were just temporarily offline.  Don't know what to think now.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 17 January 2017 - 10:48 PM.

#42 Daith

Daith

Happy Life Day!

• Supporter
  • 7566 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

Well if it does happen hopefully SEGA will license it out to someone else.... Like maybe IDW. They have had some good luck since Nickelodeon gave them the TMNT license, but even if Archie allows their old material to be used I'm sure they would be under the same current restrictions on the older material as well. But most likely we'd start from ground zero and most likely lose the SATA.M. characters. :(

3DS Friend Codes : 1633-4354-6578 and 4270-3512-2442 Username: Daith (on both) Pokemon profiles - Trainer Name: X-Phil, Y-Emma Lynn, OR- Mara, AS- Ron Nintendo WiiU ID: Daithirian

#43 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 5898 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:57 AM

As long as Ian and Yardley are still around.

#44 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 33135 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

New solicits came out.

Comic's not cancelled.

Praise Ian.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#45 Broadside

Broadside

Aw yeah!

• Citizen
  • 6768 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

(Well, not YET, at least...)

card-rewind.jpg

#46 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 33135 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

The fear was that they were immediately halting production.

Soliciting issues months away goes against that.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#47 Daith

Daith

Happy Life Day!

• Supporter
  • 7566 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:13 PM

Immediately? Never thought that was the case myself. But stopping subscriptions would cause the concern for the future past what was known. Though I can't say April's Sonic solicits have me really hyped to buy either issue.

3DS Friend Codes : 1633-4354-6578 and 4270-3512-2442 Username: Daith (on both) Pokemon profiles - Trainer Name: X-Phil, Y-Emma Lynn, OR- Mara, AS- Ron Nintendo WiiU ID: Daithirian

#48 Broadside

Broadside

Aw yeah!

• Citizen
  • 6768 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

Look, ANYTHING'S going to struggle to follow up a Sonic & Antoine issue and a Bunnie & Blaze issue.

Though... who's left after this? Tails and Rotor?

card-rewind.jpg

#49 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 17297 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:07 AM

As far as I understand it...they actually do own these characters.  From what little I remember reading about this, Archie never actually had any of these writers sign a work-for-hire contract.  Without that, technically all these comic-only characters from that era are the rightful property of their creators...unless they are deemed derivative.  Of course, somehow, "evil Sonic" was deemed not derivative and I guess Penders has a right to him, so who even knows.

Common sense and legal right are often in direct conflict with each other.

Of course, if this gets the comic killed off...or even if they decide to make the Mega Drive books the new "real" continuity...I'm going to be mad.  Ian just got done trying to rebuild this universe, it be a shame to let all that just be a waste.

They did have them sign work-for-hire contracts. It's just that those contracts were thrown out by a warehouse worker while in storage, and the photocopies that Archie has aren't eligible in court.

IIRC, they claimed the contracts were lost in a fire.

Also, surprised this got its own thread. Was the topic in danger of getting lost in all the posts the other one gets each day? ;P

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Edited by LBD "Nytetrayn", 31 January 2017 - 10:08 AM.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#50 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:41 PM

Sorta an update?  Maybe?  Archie Comics' solicits for May are out, but no Sonic comics:

http://majorspoilers...omics-may-2017/

Mind you, they also don't have any of their Red Circle superhero stuff or horror series on there either, so maybe they're just taking a month off.  Or maybe these solicitations are incomplete, but I don't think so.   And the Sonic comics are usually pretty reliable for coming out monthly, usually.

#51 Daith

Daith

Happy Life Day!

• Supporter
  • 7566 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:52 PM

Between the cancellation of the FCBD comic and this. Things aren't looking up

#52 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 33135 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

Sorta an update?  Maybe?  Archie Comics' solicits for May are out, but no Sonic comics:

http://majorspoilers...omics-may-2017/

Mind you, they also don't have any of their Red Circle superhero stuff or horror series on there either, so maybe they're just taking a month off.  Or maybe these solicitations are incomplete, but I don't think so.   And the Sonic comics are usually pretty reliable for coming out monthly, usually.

This happened when the comic's release was delayed before. This happened last year.

Just keep that in mind.

Edited by Razorsaw, 23 February 2017 - 10:23 PM.

#53 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 23682 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

Donut Steele, destroyer of comics
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#54 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 6613 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

Whut?

#55 Evac

Evac

There needs to be more Western-themed JRPGs

• Citizen
  • 21867 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:55 PM

"ORIGINAL CHARACTER, DO NOT STEAL" is a meme commonly associated with Sonic "original characters," or OCs, who are often just recolors of existing characters. It mutated into "DONUT STEEL" because the internet has a deep love for horrible puns.

Anyway, what's going on is that people who have actually officially worked on Sonic are claiming Sega stole the characters that they made for Sega. It's why they retconned so many of the old cast out of the comic - Ken Penders claimed the characters he created to be his own, so he sued Archie. Archie couldn't find the rights to the characters they owned - they claim that they burnt the documents accidentally. And thus Penders got his mitts on all the echidna characters like Julie-Su and Enerjak, and used thim in his own horrible comics.

Edited by Evac, 08 March 2017 - 08:57 PM.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

There are days when the wind doesn't feel like wind so much as it's a swarm of invisible wraiths shrieking and tearing and clawing at everything.

#56 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 6613 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

Yeah I know. It was just the Donut Steel pun that confuzed me.

#57 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 33135 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

"ORIGINAL CHARACTER, DO NOT STEAL" is a meme commonly associated with Sonic "original characters," or OCs, who are often just recolors of existing characters. It mutated into "DONUT STEEL" because the internet has a deep love for horrible puns.

Anyway, what's going on is that people who have actually officially worked on Sonic are claiming Sega stole the characters that they made for Sega. It's why they retconned so many of the old cast out of the comic - Ken Penders claimed the characters he created to be his own, so he sued Archie. Archie couldn't find the rights to the characters they owned - they claim that they burnt the documents accidentally. And thus Penders got his mitts on all the echidna characters like Julie-Su and Enerjak, and used thim in his own horrible comics.

Ken Penders never sued Archie. He sued Sega and Activision for "Sonic Chronicles" allegedly infringing on his copyright, and Archie in turn sued HIM.

#58 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 23686 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:19 PM

As a general comment, I've long felt the guiding rule for Sonic fan characters should be "How would this character handle in a game?".

If people could use that going forward, we'd see less 'hedgehog head on a human body' designs going forward.

#59 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 14838 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:04 AM

I think that may miss the point of most Sonic OCs...

-ZacWilliam, the horrible, horrible point..
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#60 Daith

Daith

Happy Life Day!

• Supporter
  • 7566 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

Well another month and still no sign of Sonic comics in the Archie June solicitations. I'm not liking this.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users