Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Paladin : (25 June 2017 - 06:57 AM)

nobody here has moved past Wave 1. maybe if they hadn't crammed it with repaints....

@  Noideaforaname : (25 June 2017 - 06:46 AM)

Nitro's gonna be a pain in the butt to find, isn't he?

@  Pennpenn : (25 June 2017 - 03:51 AM)

Actually, on the subject of TLK toys, the voyager Nitro Zues or whatver looks pretty good. If I see it cheap I might give it to the Thunderwing head.

@  Pennpenn : (24 June 2017 - 09:58 PM)

Been playing a bit of Saints Row 4 and honestly the Blast Blast is hilariously overpowered.

@  Rycochet : (24 June 2017 - 05:28 PM)

And a better headsculpt.

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2017 - 05:23 PM)

It actually has half decent gimmicks too.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 June 2017 - 04:03 PM)

It's still crap but at least it takes up less space.

@  Rycochet : (24 June 2017 - 10:31 AM)

I'd rather have Armada Sideswipe than Alternator Sideswipe.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 June 2017 - 09:50 AM)

What he's really doing is buying all the sideswipe, so that after the apocolypse.. He'll have an army to take ove the world!

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2017 - 09:00 AM)

We could be taking this the wrong way. What if this person means to sacrifice their own money to prevent Armada Sideswipes from falling into the hands of those who don't know better?

@  Rycochet : (24 June 2017 - 06:26 AM)

People say silly things online all the time, usually followed by a smilie or a wink. Take away the context and they go from being a joke to absurd hyperbole.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 June 2017 - 06:07 AM)

But that would miss the entire point of hyperbole.

@  Pennpenn : (24 June 2017 - 06:03 AM)

Well that's a stupid attitude from someone who would waste a lot of money. I mean, they should just... not buy movie toys?

@  Bass X0 : (24 June 2017 - 04:52 AM)

Most insane thing I read of the day: "I would rather buy 100 Armada Sideswipes and PRiD Airachnids than buy any Bayformers crap"

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2017 - 06:10 PM)

His dialogue is full of allusions to his infamous lookalike, though sometimes as subversions. Oh, and sometimes he sings Karaoke. Check his rendition of "My Way", it's on Youtube.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2017 - 06:09 PM)

The entire idea behind the character is that he looks and talks like Hitler, but is actually a good guy. Maybe with a dickish attitude, but he's not the villain.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2017 - 06:08 PM)

Alfons Hatler is a supporting character from a German Edgar Wallace parody movie and its sequel.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2017 - 06:07 PM)

I'd like to remind everyone that Alfons Hatler exists, which is all sorts of awesome.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 June 2017 - 05:41 PM)

See, you say that and you know there's new a bubsy game coming. Don't make us keep re-baselining our horror reactions.

@  Sean Whitmore : (23 June 2017 - 03:31 PM)

Epilogue is the worst thing to happen to mankind. And I'm including, like, all the wars and stuff.

@  Evac : (23 June 2017 - 02:11 PM)

... Did Linkara cover that one?

@  Paladin : (23 June 2017 - 01:50 PM)

the comics where Barbara quit being Batgirl after she was beaten into a miscarriage.

@  Boomhauer : (23 June 2017 - 01:20 PM)

His choice to be Batman had more punch when he was a completely normal guy met with the same dillema instead of the DNA garbage that muddies the message for no other reason than to give Old Bruce another ass-kiss before the show is over. It's a boring episode whose entire concept is repeating things already known and spark Squawkbox arguments.

@  The Predaking : (23 June 2017 - 01:11 PM)

But he still chose to be batman. Not only did he chose to be batman, he did it better.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 June 2017 - 12:46 PM)

I have to agree.. Part of the problem with Epilogue is it takes away from "Terry CHOSE to be batman" and changed it a bit to "Terry was designed to be batman."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 June 2017 - 12:13 PM)

Do you mean the DCAU continuity comics or Future's End?

@  Paladin : (23 June 2017 - 11:36 AM)

can we all at least agree it's a better ending for Batman Beyond than the comics?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 June 2017 - 10:52 AM)

There was no evidence of it to support it in the show, and generally using someone to MAKE a batman is a jerkish thing to do.

@  Benbot : (23 June 2017 - 10:37 AM)

why does it matter?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 June 2017 - 10:25 AM)

I think the problem with Epilogue was making Terry effectivly Batman's son.

@  Benbot : (23 June 2017 - 10:24 AM)

what's your problem with it?

@  The Predaking : (23 June 2017 - 10:02 AM)

Epilogue give a great end to Batman Beyond and even has a Mask of the Phantasm character

@  MrBlud : (23 June 2017 - 09:55 AM)

I don't post in the Shoutbox often, but when I do, it's to confirm "Epilogue" is garbage.

@  Paladin : (23 June 2017 - 08:43 AM)

even "Epilogue" ? (braces for that argument again)

@  The Predaking : (23 June 2017 - 08:26 AM)

Its a really great show.

@  The Predaking : (23 June 2017 - 08:25 AM)

Justice League unlimited

@  unluckiness : (23 June 2017 - 08:14 AM)

Sprinkles or nothing!

@  MEDdMI : (23 June 2017 - 07:06 AM)

>_< 3 hrs, $5,628 to go for the Two Scoops Kickstarter http://kck.st/2qgIkCd

@  wonko the sane? : (23 June 2017 - 06:16 AM)

Yeah, miles is only used when accuracy doesn't actually matter, or we're dealing with americans.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2017 - 03:55 AM)

We even use "miles" in similar contexts in German even though we use kilometers for actual measurements.

@  The Doctor Who : (23 June 2017 - 02:40 AM)

Makes sense, really. Colloquialisms exist in their own weird little universe where terminology can persist after it's no longer relevant otherwise.

@  abates : (23 June 2017 - 01:17 AM)

We also measure car milage in kilometres but still call it milage.

@  Bass X0 : (22 June 2017 - 05:47 PM)

No. We still say miles. Kilometers is only really used for actual specific distances whereas miles being used in a common phrase is still miles.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 June 2017 - 04:59 PM)

People from outside the U.S.: as we are all English-proficient here, do you ever use the phrase "I saw it coming from miles away.", or do you say "kilometers" instead?

@  Hg Dragon : (22 June 2017 - 04:06 PM)

Wow, that was supposed to :shout" hours ago...

@  Hg Dragon : (22 June 2017 - 04:05 PM)

Indeed. Especially on opening week. We're talking avg, 5-8%. It's more at your discount/sub-run houses.

@  Steevy Maximus : (22 June 2017 - 10:25 AM)

AMC knows it, freakin $7 for a regular drink

@  Paladin : (22 June 2017 - 08:22 AM)

and if you want to support your theaters, buy more concessions. because they get SHIT from the ticket sales...

@  Hg Dragon : (22 June 2017 - 08:15 AM)

So, we charged an extra $1 per. F'em

@  Hg Dragon : (22 June 2017 - 08:13 AM)

First, they threatened to stop sending us digital because we weren't upcharging for it (back when we were still "mixed" format). Then they threatened to stop sendingus 3D because we didn't upcharge for those either initially.

Photo

Archie gets sued over Sonic OCs AGAIN

94 replies to this topic

#21 Sockie

Sockie
  • Citizen
  • 1654 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:28 PM

As far as I understand it...they actually do own these characters.  From what little I remember reading about this, Archie never actually had any of these writers sign a work-for-hire contract.  Without that, technically all these comic-only characters from that era are the rightful property of their creators...unless they are deemed derivative.  Of course, somehow, "evil Sonic" was deemed not derivative and I guess Penders has a right to him, so who even knows.

Common sense and legal right are often in direct conflict with each other.

Of course, if this gets the comic killed off...or even if they decide to make the Mega Drive books the new "real" continuity...I'm going to be mad.  Ian just got done trying to rebuild this universe, it be a shame to let all that just be a waste.

They did have them sign work-for-hire contracts. It's just that those contracts were thrown out by a warehouse worker while in storage, and the photocopies that Archie has aren't eligible in court.

#22 Waspinator

Waspinator

Waspinator has a headache in his whole body

• Citizen
  • 22624 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:04 PM

So, we're looking at the combination of scumbag legal tactics and incompetent record keeping?

#23 Daith

Daith

United, our roar will level Mountains!

• Supporter
  • 7648 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:28 AM

Of course, if this gets the comic killed off...or even if they decide to make the Mega Drive books the new "real" continuity...I'm going to be mad.  Ian just got done trying to rebuild this universe, it be a shame to let all that just be a waste.  

But why would this affect the current storylines. None of the characters mentioned in this lawsuit have anything to do with the current world.

3DS Friend Codes : 1633-4354-6578 and 4270-3512-2442 Username: Daith (on both) Pokemon profiles - Trainer Name: X-Phil, Y-Emma Lynn, OR- Mara, AS- Ron Nintendo WiiU ID: Daithirian

#24 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 34997 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:46 AM

But why would this affect the current storylines. None of the characters mentioned in this lawsuit have anything to do with the current world.

"Sued into Sega revoking the license" affects the current world pretty deeply.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#25 Broadside

Broadside

Aw yeah!

• Apprentice Staff
  • 7360 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

Yes, but not in any way that could possibly lead to "Mega Drive becoming the new "real" continuity". I'm not even sure where that came from.

That said, I would LOVE a Mega Drive style ongoing if possible...

card-rewind.jpg

#26 Daith

Daith

United, our roar will level Mountains!

• Supporter
  • 7648 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:24 AM

It is one thing if SEGA were to pull away but that's not what I was talking about. As it stands the only thing this should effect is the sales of back issues and collections of older material. But as I said it really shouldn't effect the current world since none of Fulop's characters are in the new revamped world.

3DS Friend Codes : 1633-4354-6578 and 4270-3512-2442 Username: Daith (on both) Pokemon profiles - Trainer Name: X-Phil, Y-Emma Lynn, OR- Mara, AS- Ron Nintendo WiiU ID: Daithirian

#27 Evac

Evac

Destruction in human form

• Citizen
  • 22418 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:48 AM

Fulop was totally put up to this by Penders just to troll Archie.

pLMc6fJ.png

There are days when the wind doesn't feel like wind so much as it's a swarm of invisible wraiths shrieking and tearing and clawing at everything.

#28 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 33368 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

Penders said he didn't have anything to do with it.

Considering these lawsuits are expensive and Fulop either formed or joined a company in order to manage/utilize his copyrights, I reaaaally doubt he's doing this in a lark.

It's ill advised but not a lark.

Edited by Razorsaw, 04 August 2016 - 12:29 PM.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#29 (Deactivated) Zaku Prime

(Deactivated) Zaku Prime
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:16 PM

Eh, my thought about Mega Drive becoming the "new" continuity was just my own baseless speculation.  

Sega probably wouldn't want to get rid of the comics completely, since it makes them a steady, predictable stream of cash.  They probably need that right now.  Sega has also shown a desire to make the comics more like the games in the past, as well as trying to get more hands on with the comic at times.  Archie also got rid of all the old comic only characters last time they had a big lawsuit, even ones made by Ian, like Shard and Thrash.  I could see this new lawsuit being the straw that broke the comics back, creatively.  If Sega insisted on the comic only using characters from the games, or even only doing stricter adaptations than what the Unleashed adaptation has turned out to be...I could see the higher ups deciding to just scrap the whole thing and start over from scratch.  Nostalgia appeal, new #1 sales boost, and all.

After all, even though Sega should own all these new comic characters and tv show characters now, they're not really characters that the main branch of Sega likes to use.  Sega proper doesn't really seem to be interested in expanding things to much beyond the Adventures characters, barring the odd one shot characters for each game, like Chip.

Plus...With Shattered World wrapping up everything the comics done for the last three years or so and Mega Drive feeling kind of retcon-y and like a different universe anyway...There are less organic ways they could do it, if they had to.

Like I said, baseless speculation.

Edited by Zaku Prime, 04 August 2016 - 10:24 PM.

#30 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 34997 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:15 AM

I'm not sure how Mega Drive can be considered "retcon-y and like a different universe" when it literally is a totally different thing that only takes into account Sonic 1-S&K and Sonic CD with zero ties to anything else.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#31 (Deactivated) Zaku Prime

(Deactivated) Zaku Prime
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:35 PM

I guess I just assumed it was canon to the main comic, but I don't think they ever said anything one way or the other to that effect, did they?

EDIT: In my defense, the recap page does say it takes place in the "Sonic Comic Universe", unlike the Boom comics.  Still, yeah, could just be intended to be a different universe.

Edited by Zaku Prime, 05 August 2016 - 06:47 PM.

#32 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 33368 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

There's nothing that says it is or isn't.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#33 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15034 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:09 AM

Jon Gray has left Archie and thus my interest is gone with him.

Woooo!

#34 Broadside

Broadside

Aw yeah!

• Apprentice Staff
  • 7360 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

Oh, shit. Looks like the end's in sight, guys...

card-rewind.jpg

#35 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 33368 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:29 PM

I hope that man festers in the mediocrity he made for himself forever.

#36 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 6078 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

That's AWFUL! The last Sonic I read was with the mystic cave but it can't be cancelled! What's been happening?

#37 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:37 PM

Well...nuts.  I didn't think they'd go THAT far! (And, yeah, I'm Zaku Prime.  Had to make a new account when Kalidor killed the younglings purged the "inactive" protoform accounts.)

Isn't Sonic still one of their better selling comics?  I mean, maybe Sega took it out of their hands, or maybe Archie is going ALL in on their reboots, but still.  

I'm...shocked.  I don't know if I'll really believe it until Ian Flynn says something about it...if he's allowed to.  This comic's been around ever since I was a kid collecting comics.  This...huh.

Hopefully, Ian can pull something off for the ending.  I'm not sure what could be satisfying, though.

Geez, what a way to "celebrate" the comic's 25th anniversary.

Well...maybe we'll finally get the Lost Hedgehog Tales this year, then?  That might be a...somewhat bright spot.

#38 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 6688 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:38 PM

Lost Hedgehog tales?

#39 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

It's a thing Ian Flynn...said he would be doing on his blog.  Basically, explaining what he was originally planning for the Sonic comic before the Penders reboot up to issue...300, I think he's said.  He just has a "prologue" with what had been going on with the comic before the changed story arcs up now, though.  He's said he had to put it on hold because of the other lawsuits that popped up after Penders.

It's here:

http://bumbleking.co...hedgehog-tales/

Not much there, but hopefully, we'll get something later on.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 17 January 2017 - 09:45 PM.

#40 Kalidor

Kalidor

Į\_(ツ)_/Į

• Owner
  • 59377 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

Well...nuts.  I didn't think they'd go THAT far! (And, yeah, I'm Zaku Prime.  Had to make a new account when Kalidor killed the younglings purged the "inactive" protoform accounts.)

Isn't Sonic still one of their better selling comics?  I mean, maybe Sega took it out of their hands, or maybe Archie is going ALL in on their reboots, but still.  

I'm...shocked.  I don't know if I'll really believe it until Ian Flynn says something about it...if he's allowed to.  This comic's been around ever since I was a kid collecting comics.  This...huh.

Hopefully, Ian can pull something off for the ending.  I'm not sure what could be satisfying, though.

Geez, what a way to "celebrate" the comic's 25th anniversary.

Well...maybe we'll finally get the Lost Hedgehog Tales this year, then?  That might be a...somewhat bright spot.

I said I was sorry! :(

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users