Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 December 2020 - 05:39 PM)

*good week

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 December 2020 - 05:35 PM)

It's been a good work for The Hunt: got Netflix Bumblebee (suck it Walmart!) and stopped at Walgreens and found a lone Bluestreak. I'm pretty much done until new stuff rolls out in February

@  tigerhawk : (02 December 2020 - 03:53 PM)

There's some fab fandubs of comic scenes on Youtube, it's MTMTE/LL mostly but there's some great stuff such as Tarn learning of Megatron's defection and Megatron talking to Ravage.

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 November 2020 - 09:31 PM)

Wonderful audio separation and balance.

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 November 2020 - 09:29 PM)

For Transformers The Movie 86

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 November 2020 - 09:28 PM)

I will say, the blu ray remaster, especially the audio is pretty spot on. Watching it on Apple TV has been enlightening.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (30 November 2020 - 09:00 PM)

Vode An!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (30 November 2020 - 08:59 PM)

I do not overly care for the Bad Batch, but it will be interesting to see what the animated series will bring to the table.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (30 November 2020 - 08:59 PM)

Alpha, Delta Squad, Omega Squad, and the Muunilinst 10 are quite the contrast to what we have at present in Disney canon.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (30 November 2020 - 08:57 PM)

Who else here read the pre-2008 Clone Commandos and ARC Troopers back in the day?

@  tigerhawk : (30 November 2020 - 05:04 PM)

Monoliths in Utah and Romania.

@  Sabrblade : (29 November 2020 - 05:11 PM)

Also, the face of the black redeco is painted gray.

@  Sabrblade : (29 November 2020 - 05:09 PM)

To be a little fair, the original was also lacking in more detailed color. The Telemocha Series figure fixed that.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 November 2020 - 05:05 PM)

The unpainted face and all the greys make that look like a knockoff.

@  Sabrblade : (29 November 2020 - 05:01 PM)

One could headcanon this one as such.

@  Otaku : (29 November 2020 - 01:06 PM)

@Bass X0 Weird how they come close, with the likes of Onyx Primal and Nemesis Prime (Universe 2003), but no actual evil gorilla...

@  wonko the sane? : (28 November 2020 - 03:00 PM)

Oh my god! WFC ravage is adorable! Who's a pudgy kitty? Yes you are!

@  tigerhawk : (28 November 2020 - 09:50 AM)

The 86 line prevented made me reconsider a new years resolution.

@  unluckiness : (28 November 2020 - 04:33 AM)

And Devastator because I'm a sucker for combiners

@  unluckiness : (28 November 2020 - 04:32 AM)

Decided to stick with the main cast from 2007 and a few assorted ones here and there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 November 2020 - 02:02 PM)

I said I wouldn't buy a lot, now I have seven. And at least three might be on the culling pile.

@  tigerhawk : (27 November 2020 - 11:44 AM)

"I'll just get one" I said now I have almost twenty Studio Series figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 November 2020 - 11:19 AM)

The geese are fleeing... death comes soon...

@  unluckiness : (25 November 2020 - 07:20 PM)

Not even head, just a faceeven

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 November 2020 - 12:58 PM)

Just stick a Megatron head on Optimal Optimus.

@  Sabrblade : (25 November 2020 - 12:46 PM)

There was also an evil-looking black and gray redeco of the RobotMasters toy

@  Arazyr : (25 November 2020 - 11:54 AM)

That's KIND-OF what I consider the Throne of the Primes Primal to be...

@  wonko the sane? : (25 November 2020 - 11:16 AM)

I would buy the hell out a nemesis primal...

@  Bass X0 : (25 November 2020 - 11:15 AM)

I'm surprised there's not been a Nemesis Primal given all the Nemesis Primes.

@  unluckiness : (23 November 2020 - 03:17 AM)

The real Drifts were the Windblades we made along the way

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 November 2020 - 02:25 AM)

Drift-kun 2 Electric Boobylube

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 November 2020 - 11:36 PM)

I'm pretty sure Drift 2 was Empire of Stone.

@  Sabrblade : (22 November 2020 - 10:06 PM)

I thought people said Prime Wheeljack was Drift 2.

@  tigerhawk : (22 November 2020 - 03:51 PM)

Windblade was Drift.2.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 November 2020 - 02:44 PM)

Drift with boobs.

@  Rycochet : (22 November 2020 - 11:50 AM)

I can't imagine a live action movie version of Windblade being all that different from Drift. Not my thing, but not the worst thing I've ever seen.

@  Bass X0 : (22 November 2020 - 09:54 AM)

The thought of Movie aesthetic Windblade makes me feel sick.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (22 November 2020 - 08:47 AM)

Though, the fact that Japanese people would pay for Windblade toys in the $30-40 range doesn't mean they'd pay however much MPs are going for now.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (22 November 2020 - 08:44 AM)

Back when I made a habit of checking Mandarake for pre-owned TFs, Windblade's toys went for surprisingly high prices. By which I mean not lower than the original price.

@  tigerhawk : (22 November 2020 - 08:15 AM)

If she's in the next movie you might get her.

@  unluckiness : (22 November 2020 - 07:58 AM)

Japan didn't get most of the IDW comics and are the target market for MP. They basically know windblade from a few crappy pack-in comics and a show that wasn't particularly popular there. Unless they start cranking out Cyberverse MPs, it's not very likely.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 November 2020 - 04:24 AM)

Again, depends if she's popular enough in Japan to warrant it. Our view of which characters are popular is not the same as Takara's.

@  Bass X0 : (22 November 2020 - 01:53 AM)

So characters like Windblade then.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 November 2020 - 07:19 PM)

They're complicated and expensive to design. By necessity, they're gonna be restricted to well-known characters who are more likely to sell.

@  Bass X0 : (21 November 2020 - 07:05 PM)

I don’t think Masterpiece toys should be restricted to only show characters.

@  Rycochet : (21 November 2020 - 03:09 PM)

If she wasn't in the Sunbow cartoon, Live Action movie or Beast Wars and can't be repainted from someone else, she's not getting an MP.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 November 2020 - 12:44 PM)

They'll make their money back if they include the metal thong...

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 November 2020 - 12:29 PM)

Is she popular enough in Japan that Takara would even try?

@  Paladin : (21 November 2020 - 11:23 AM)

depends. will that one also have a giant metal thong?

@  Bass X0 : (21 November 2020 - 11:10 AM)

Should there be a Masterpiece Windblade?

Photo

Captain Marvel - Movie discussion

Captain Marvel MCU

507 replies to this topic

#501 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35280 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:41 PM

I would ask that you answer 2 questions, however.

Sure thing!

If you don't like the first 10 minutes of something, why do you keep watching?

Ok, well most of the time I do keep watching and that's because when I actually sit down to watch a movie it is because I wanted to see it and I don't trust my snap decision after 10 minutes. Often movies with bad starts get better, but even when they don't, *I* generally want to form an opinion based on the whole movie.

And, if the first 10 minutes of something have been so awful that you are thinking "I'd rather watch a blank screen than this," and yet for some reason you do keep watching, how many times has it actually turned around and become something you enjoyed--really enjoyed to the point that you forgive the utterly horrid first 10 minutes? (As follow ups, would this hypothetical show be better off without those first 10 minutes? If so, why are they even there? If not, and they are crucial to the overall show, was there a way to make them less horrid?)

There have been times that I haven't finished a movie and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't want you to feel like that was my problem with what you said. But I actually have a remarkable example for your question. Captain Marvel. I felt the movie was very strange as I was watching it, especially the first bit of it. Even as I left the theater I was confused and I don't like being confused.  My wife still doesn't ever want to see the movie again and that's okay.  I haven't taken the time to watch it again, but I want to.  Because as I lay in bed that night thinking about the movie, I believe that I understood what the director was doing.  I am disappointed to see that I didn't post it here where I can point you to it, but I wasn't on the Allspark that much for a few years until recently.  But I posted on Facebook and will put it below:

"Spoiler free analysis: Captain Marvel might have gotten me back in the theater a second time in the old days without 2 toddlers. I’ve liked it more as I have reflected and look forward to watching it again at home. If you’re thinking of going, I say this: Many times during the movie I felt confused and uncertain about where the story was going and I usually feel like that means the director should have done a better job, but hold on. The director is putting you in Captain Marvel’s shoes. She is confused and uncertain where her mission is going so you will actually be sharing her experience and figuring out who to trust and who are good guys and bad guys right with her. You aren’t watching her go dot to dot through a traditional superhero origin where everything that has to happen is everything you know has to happen. I believe that was intentional and pretty neat. And if you have a little girl that is old enough, go show her that one of the most powerful heroes in the MCU is a girl."

Since you have already written a review of the movie, I won't avoid spoilers with you.  Everyone is lying to the main character.  The structure of the movie uses familiar tropes to make you as the audience trust lies just like Carol.  Even casting choices and things they said about them in the lead up to the movie were lies.  They said Jude Law was playing Mar-vell.  He wasn't Mar-vell.  He's actually a villain from the comics.  Right off the bat they show you that Carol has a superpower and they refer to it as a gift they gave her and your average movie goer accepts it.  It's a lie.  They have kidnapped her and are trying to control her.  She's totally brainwashed.  Later they introduce who seems to be the bad guy and they cast Ben Mendelssohn who has lately played high profile bad guys and he's a Skrull which we know are bad guys.  But it is a lie.  As the movie goes you AND Carol get more and more hints that you've been deceived and everything gets turned on its head.  She changes sides when she realizes that the bad guys are the good guys and the good guys are the bad guys.  The freaking Skrulls are the good guys.  The Kree are the bad guys.  Mar-vell is reimagined as a woman that Carol knew.  Her origin was a few years ago.  She just didn't get to finish it then because she was taken by the Kree and brainwashed.  To me, it is all pretty cool.  No one but "This Is Us" has ever so successfully misdirected me.  But the experience that a first time, non-spoiled viewer of this movie gets is VERY interesting.  Even if you watch it now, you won't get that because you were never actually going to even watch the movie without being spoiled and maybe you still won't.  But you are confused and off-balance watching the start of the movie because you are supposed to.  Because Carol is.

Edited by Axaday, 20 November 2019 - 07:42 PM.

#502 Sukoshiko

Sukoshiko

Demented Genius at Play

• Citizen
  • 1051 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:07 PM

That's an interesting take.

On the other hand, if that's what's going on, there's a better version of that movie: Donnie Darko. I still see new things in that movie when I watch it. And it managed to not annoy the crap out of me when I first watched it, even though I didn't know what was going on.

Compare that to "Your teacher says your not ready, but we're still going to send you on this highly classified important mission. You're going with people you know, but that the audience hasn't been introduced to."

Now, starting en media res can work. I've seen it done.

Given the way this movie started, though, I honestly can't imagine what anyone saw in it to make them want to watch any further than I did. Heck, I gave it 5 extra minutes just because it was a Marvel movie and I didn't think it could be nearly as bad as the nerdrage wanted us to believe.

#503 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31449 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:08 AM

You're going with people you know, but that the audience hasn't been introduced to."

Korath from Guardians of the Galaxy is definitely in the group with her.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#504 Sukoshiko

Sukoshiko

Demented Genius at Play

• Citizen
  • 1051 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:19 AM

I'm guessing that was the guy who had 2 or 3 lines in the attempt to capture Quill? Hardly someone we were really introduced to.

#505 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31449 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:51 AM

Also, if you had watched more than just the first ten minutes of the movie, you would have learned that those other guys in her group are people we're not supposed to care about since they turn out to be bad guys, with Carol's actual allies coming into the story after she arrives on Earth, and which we do care about since A) two of them ARE familiar faces and B) two others are new characters whom we are formally introduced to, whom we get to know very well, and who turn out to be the among the best and most likable characters of the movie (I'll never say that Carol herself was well written as she bored me, but her allies made the movie enjoyable).

As for why the first ten minutes initially stuck with the unimportant characters that we aren't supposed to be interested in, as Axaday described, that was all part of the film's intentional use of misdirection. And another of the bad guys who comes in later in the movie is also another very familiar face (and it's not Thanos).

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#506 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35280 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:49 AM

Given the way this movie started, though, I honestly can't imagine what anyone saw in it to make them want to watch any further than I did. Heck, I gave it 5 extra minutes just because it was a Marvel movie and I didn't think it could be nearly as bad as the nerdrage wanted us to believe.

You have an opportunity for real introspection then.  You can't imagine why anyone watched it further than you did, but 100 million people did.

#507 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35280 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:35 AM

That's an interesting take.
On the other hand, if that's what's going on, there's a better version of that movie: Donnie Darko. I still see new things in that movie when I watch it. And it managed to not annoy the crap out of me when I first watched it, even though I didn't know what was going on.

I haven’t seen Donnie Darko. I have heard it is good. A lot of other movies people liked I haven’t seen. But they’re going to keep making movies and a lot of them aren’t going to be as good as Donnie Darko.

My wife saw Captain Marvel all the way through and didn’t like it. Even after talking with me about it, she doesn’t want to watch it again. And you might have never liked it either and that’s fine. You can quit 15 minutes in and you can not like the movie. You can even both. You just can’t expect people to be interested in your review of a movie you haven’t seen.

#508 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31449 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:39 AM

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users