Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  -LittleAutob... : (13 July 2020 - 06:21 PM)

\(-_-)

@  Bass X0 : (13 July 2020 - 05:26 PM)

"Here's a little---whatever. A little thing. A disclosure. An insight. Revisionism---I've always been fascinated by it. By the idea of a writer going back and altering things. Make no mistake: an edit is a profoundly aggressive act. As Froid once said, we grieve for the murdered word. If you want to get the measure of an author, don't look at what they've left on the page.... look at what they've taken away." -- Rung (MTMTE #28)

@  Verno : (11 July 2020 - 11:20 PM)

2021: :idea :rolleyes :p :D

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:20 PM)

Perfection. :thumbsup

@  Patch : (11 July 2020 - 06:17 PM)

My plans:  :hmm  2020:  :)

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Our plans for 2020 were as amazing as Optimus Prime. But then 2020 came like Hot Rod.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 05:50 PM)

Indeed....

@  Bass X0 : (11 July 2020 - 05:40 PM)

"He who dies with the most toys wins."

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:11 PM)

Hey you, get moving, it's not too far, you're looking good so come as you are. Hey you, you never know what you'll see, when it's through that door with the 73.

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:10 PM)

Hey you, get ready, get on your feet. Get into gear and hit the street.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 12:46 PM)

I recall number 73 (old british show) discussing the Transformers movie and had the presenters trying to transform a few figures, one argued his deflated beach ball was a Transformer too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

And he's a big ball, but he's not the biggest ball of them all. (That'll be Pulse Unicron.)

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 07:37 AM)

Trypticon so scared my Primus figure he turned into a ball.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 July 2020 - 09:56 PM)

King Nine, however, will not return.

@  Bass X0 : (09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM)

Bass_X0 will return after these messages ^^^

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 July 2020 - 03:37 PM)

WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOARRGH

@  -LittleAutob... : (09 July 2020 - 02:06 PM)

Okay?

@  Otaku : (09 July 2020 - 07:47 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Ah, but the series itself has pronounced "Bass" both ways. ;)  Oh, 90s English Capcom video game voice acting...

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 July 2020 - 03:14 AM)

Looking at my Titan Returns collection I can see they realised they didn't have to paint the Titan Masters after wave one, lazy bums.

@  Maruten : (08 July 2020 - 09:13 PM)

No, I'm going with "fish".

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 July 2020 - 04:19 PM)

He stated that it's in reference to the Mega Man character, so it follows the series' tradition of music names.

@  Cybersnark : (08 July 2020 - 03:59 PM)

The real question is if it's "bass" as in music or "bass" as in the fish.

@  Otaku : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Well, at least now I know how to pronounce @Bass X0 's screen name. ^^'  Rather, I think I'd just forgotten.  In my defense, it really does look like an emoticon or maybe just "decoration", which is what a lot of folks add to their screen names online.  Usually because someone has the name they really want. XD

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Extremely unimpressed with your idea that someone making a negative observation you don't like means they "got triggered."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (08 July 2020 - 11:16 AM)

You know somebody asked "And this would be in relation to... what exactly?"

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Its because someone got triggered over my random musings instead of just ignoring them. If I read one of your comments that is of no relevance or interest to me, I don't feel the need to say so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (08 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

All this over someone's username lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 08:34 AM)

Bazro.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (08 July 2020 - 06:34 AM)

It could be Bass 10-0

@  Nevermore : (08 July 2020 - 06:11 AM)

How do you pronounce yourself? "Bass Ex-O" or "Bass Ex-Zero"?

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 03:23 AM)

I did almost go with Vile Bass X0, because Vile is cool too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 July 2020 - 08:34 PM)

Bossk Saw

@  ▲ndrusi : (07 July 2020 - 04:16 PM)

Bass XD

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 03:43 PM)

And its not Bass XO, its Bass X0, as in Bass, X and Zero from the Mega Man series.

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:33 PM)

@Trpodeca :( :(

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Thats what a gray rock is? Then I'm not one.

@  Trpodeca : (07 July 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Man I just learnt about what seemed like a really cool show, only to realize it was a dream and it dosen't really exist.

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 01:02 PM)

Just something I read that I wanted to share. I heard "gray rock" mentioned in a video, so I looked it up and that was the definition.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 July 2020 - 12:20 PM)

It's a fancy way of saying "Ignore annoying people".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (07 July 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Bass XO has a habit of pasting random drivel here as if doing so were profound.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 July 2020 - 11:30 AM)

And this would be in relation to... what exactly?

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 11:25 AM)

"One strategy for dealing with a narcissist or sociopath is to act like a "gray rock," meaning that you become uninteresting and unresponsive. You don't feed their needs for drama or attention. You don't show emotion, say anything interesting, or disclose any personal information"

@  Nevermore : (06 July 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Oh wow. Studio Series Offroad Bumblebee is awesome. His articulation is amazing.

@  -LittleAutob... : (06 July 2020 - 11:18 AM)

Oof-

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

I got Studio Series 39 Cogman yesterday and woke up to find he'd decapitated my titans returns figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM)

If I had a sarcasm powered mouth.. ooohh waaaiiittt...

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 05:01 PM)

Heh

@  Bass X0 : (04 July 2020 - 02:56 PM)

"If I had sarcasm-powered legs, I'd do a happy dance...!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 July 2020 - 02:39 PM)

The real clones were the friends we made along the way.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 01:47 PM)

So the Emperor in episodes 1 through 6 was a clone?

Photo

Captain Marvel - Movie discussion

Captain Marvel MCU

507 replies to this topic

#461 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10688 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:26 PM

So... y'all obviously didn't catch that this was also in essence a 'period piece' granted it was only the late 80s early 90s.. and maybe i have the benefit of growing up in the military..

But if you guys had any idea how hard life was for female pilots back then, how they constantly had to prove they were just as tough, if not tougher, and put up with men constantly browbeating them, downplaying their significance and basically treating them like they didn't belong.. you'd understand why the story couldn't be 'just some cool chick with powers'

This movie wasn't preaching, it was being honest about history.

#462 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60169 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:23 PM

So... y'all obviously didn't catch that this was also in essence a 'period piece' granted it was only the late 80s early 90s.. and maybe i have the benefit of growing up in the military..

But if you guys had any idea how hard life was for female pilots back then, how they constantly had to prove they were just as tough, if not tougher, and put up with men constantly browbeating them, downplaying their significance and basically treating them like they didn't belong.. you'd understand why the story couldn't be 'just some cool chick with powers'

That's definitely a valid and reasonable point. My only issue with that is that in the context of the Earth Air Force the only interaction she had with other pilots were also all women. The only men shown were the tropey "we run this base!" guys at Pegasus. 

And in her time with the Kree (of which she had no memory or point of reference to being in the Air Force) she was also with a mixed group and was really only singled out as a psychological ploy to use her as a weapon - and that could have been a woman, a teenage boy or just some other dude. 

#463 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10688 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:45 PM

yeah.. you’re being purposely obtuse because “the most powerful” character didn’t have a wang.. convince yourself otherwise all you want,.. but you’re lying to yourself.

#464 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60169 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:50 PM

You're being purposely obtuse because at no point did I say anything close to that. 

#465 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10688 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:51 PM

yep.. sure. Have a good night.

#466 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30401 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:02 PM

This is a very good and level-headed post with a lot of sense and reason put into it. :thumbsup

yeah.. you’re being purposely obtuse because “the most powerful” character didn’t have a wang.. convince yourself otherwise all you want,.. but you’re lying to yourself.

This is the exact opposite of the above and I cannot fathom how the very same person could come the conclusions that he came to in order to make this bafflingly bonkers post that has literally nothing to do with anything written in Kalidor's rather civil and fair response to the above sensible post. :rolleyes

Edited by Sabrblade, 04 June 2019 - 09:03 PM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#467 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60169 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:09 PM

Look dude, you have something to say then say it? I said countless times in this thread that I LIKE the movie. I also am very familiar with Captain Marvel, or Ms. Marvel in the case of Carol Danvers, as well as previous characters who wore the Captain Marvel banner.

I opened up a legitimate discussion because I thought you'd been around long enough to participate in it like an adult. I respected your point of view and I added up to it explaining why it doesn't align with how I see the movie. So rather than continue to engage in what I thought was an actual discussion, you just resort to untrue accusations about what I said by parroting some made up narrative about how if it MUST be because she's a WOMAN! Which is absolute bullshit. 

Say whatever you want, get the last word in, or don't -  but you've sincerely disappointed me.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to return to my blu ray.  

DSC_0318.JPG

#468 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29180 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:20 PM

I've spent the last 3 years fighting government. Most of my strongest allies and the ones I look to for inspiration and leadership are women.

But sure. Criticise how media handles things and none of that counts apparently. Fictional characters steered by multinational companies out to sell lots of merch mean more than real people...

#469 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33532 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:54 PM

But sure. Criticise how media handles things and none of that counts apparently. Fictional characters steered by multinational companies out to sell lots of merch mean more than real people...

That is a staggering level of hyperbole. I know you're just making a snarky point, but FFS.

Do you honestly believe that anyone here is ignorant of the fact that movies are made to make money? That merchandising is a vital part of franchises of this type?

Most of us are transformers fans, and the ones who don't understand these basic facts should probably have their cards revoked. They're are also few and far between around these parts.

Ugh. Just hugging UGH.

Edited by CORVUS, 05 June 2019 - 05:33 PM.

"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing. But too much of an awesome thing is…umm…really, really dumb and bad. " - Strong Bad

#470 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8595 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:34 PM

What a shock. The answer was, in short, "You're a baddie" after all.

#471 Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

• Supporter
  • 4562 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:18 PM

Watched because I missed and wanted to see before End Game. Brie Larson oozes charisma in each scene even when she has barely anything to say.

I think we saw different movies.

#472 Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

• Supporter
  • 4562 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:32 PM

yep.. sure. Have a good night.

Said the guy who lost the argument.

#473 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30401 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:41 PM

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#474 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67294 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:02 PM

Got my Target 4K today.

ACItEK8.png

#475 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29180 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:09 PM

That is a staggering level of hyperbole. I know you're just making a snarky point, but FFS.

Do you honestly believe that anyone here is ignorant of the fact that movies are made to make money? That merchandising is a vital part of franchises of this type?

Most of us are transformers fans, and the ones who don't understand these basic facts should probably have their cards revoked. They're are also few and far between around these parts.

Ugh. Just hugging UGH.

What I believe is that there's a valid reason that outside its own walls this forum has a reputation for being sanctimonious and oversensitive.

#476 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60169 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:20 PM

I'm curious what you think that reason is. 

#477 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29180 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:42 PM

The fact that we have a number of people here who can't simply hold progressive beliefs/support progressive causes, they have to constantly insist everyone else is a throwback trying to hide it.

#478 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60169 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:50 AM

That seems a bit of an overreach. Throughout the years I feel like we've had a very moderate progressive group here. There are certainly those who can't see out of their bubble and refuse to acknowledge any deviation from their narrative, but those exist everywhere and are few and far between here. 

My experience is that for the most part, almost everyone here has been very intelligent both intellectually and emotionally. Enough to have reasoned discussions and listen to different points of view that might not align 100% with their own. They are also reasonable enough to assume that not everyone is going to have the exact same opinions about everything even if they want the same things. 

If it seems like an echo chamber in here, that's mostly due to the fact that as a community supports LGBTQ people, and is in fact comprised of people from all walks of life, most of the bad actors have been purged years ago. Opinions are welcome, hate speech is not and never has been. 

#479 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63212 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:10 AM

or at least encouraged often enough that they've gotten better.

:) 

I found the Movie - OKAY, a solid "marvel origin movie" like Thor or Ant-man, and like those movies I'm looking forward to what they do with the character in CM2 and 3... if we're lucky She'll get her own Winter soldier next time and a Ragnarok stile 3rd film where she lightens up a bit... 

mostly because by then Marvel should have introduced a number of other big hitters to take the weight of the Universe off her shoulders. 

I mean, Adam Warlock is just sitting there back in Guardians 2 just waiting to hatch... I think she'd also have an interesting dynamic with Silver Surfer and Nova (Frankie Raye version thank you) 

as for the business with the air force.  I'm not against targeted Propaganda - I'm not that liberal that I think active recruiting efforts are evil. If women want to get in fighter jets and drop bombs in other countries ... I'm not anymore upset then I would be if a man was interested. 

even outside of the obvious plot points of the film needing to be what they are to get Carol from A to B ... I think they showed a fairly balanced view of what to expect in a military environment in the 90's USA. Not as much as GI Jane, lol but she didn't have to spend 80% of the film with aliens.

Not every film with a female lead has to be the best thing ever -or a political statement about gender politics of "current year"  equality means balance, so sometimes we'll get a film that's "just okay" and we'll have to start trying to be okay with that.

#480 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10827 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:22 PM

Got my Target 4K today.

Wish I could say the same, but I'm going to wait until either this weekend or next, when I'm down in Buffalo, to pick it up.

Because I have no desire to own this thing, curiously titled "Captain Captaine Marvel Marvel"

marvel.png

Also the Toy Story 4Ks, as they're also bilingual abominations.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 12 June 2019 - 05:32 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users