Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  fourteenwings : (25 January 2020 - 12:56 AM)

"how expensive they were" Tell that to L.O.L. O.M.G. and the $129 Amazing Surprise (I mean I guess when it comes to the toy aisle Power Rangers isn't a juggernaut like L.O.L.)

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 January 2020 - 09:18 PM)

I think the big reason we didn't see the actual combining Zords at retail was because of how expensive they were. It would cost $100 to get enough of them to make a Megazord, $160+ if you want the Ultrazord. Or parents could just get the dang Ultrazord for $40 even if it didn't combine.

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 January 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Because they are "kids toys" not "collector toys"

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 03:27 PM)

1) I don't have Target. 2) can't go into my walmart. I'm surprised Hasbro won't sell the toys on Pulse

@  Bass X0 : (24 January 2020 - 02:43 PM)

I dreamt my phone was ringing and woke up to answer it.

@  Sabrblade : (24 January 2020 - 02:05 PM)

The Lightning Collection figures, the smaller normal-sized Beast Morphers Ranger/enemy/Beast-Bot figures, the role-play morpher and weapon toys, and the simplistic non-combining megazord toys have all been very easy to find at various Targets and Walmarts. It's only been the actual combining Beast Morphers zord toys (which are bizarrely being sold individually this time) that have been hard to find in stores.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Thought I do question Hasbro's almost reluctance to have the toys available anywhere.

@  Paladin : (24 January 2020 - 01:44 PM)

i've been trying to sell mine for weeks...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 01:37 PM)

I hadn't opened mine yet, but from what I've seen, the general agreement is that the Beast Morpher zords are much better than Bandais.

@  ThunderWear : (24 January 2020 - 11:16 AM)

I'm guessing if they're going to do anything on the level of Legacy Zords, it's being discussed behind NDAs at Toy Fair

@  Rodimus Supreme : (24 January 2020 - 10:38 AM)

Lightning Collection is good, and they're taking their sweet time on making Zords that are better than Bandai's Zords.

@  ThunderWear : (24 January 2020 - 10:34 AM)

So, what's the general PR fandom consensus of the Hasbro run of PR so far? I pretty much stepped out of the community after I got the Bandai Legacy zords I wanted.

@  Paladin : (24 January 2020 - 08:46 AM)

that would require someone to BUY Hasbro PR toys...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 07:17 AM)

Well hopefully see some cool PR stuff. Wish BBTS sold Hasbro PR toys.

@  fourteenwings : (24 January 2020 - 07:01 AM)

February 22nd through 25th, I feel like it was earlier last year...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 January 2020 - 06:32 AM)

When is NY TF?

@  fourteenwings : (23 January 2020 - 11:43 PM)

I don't know about Hasbro's general policy but I know everybody was on lockdown for Frozen II, which included both LEGO and Hasbro. Plus, I'm guessing everybody is holding off PR for NY Toy Fair? Overall, it's best to remember that Toy Fairs are for buyers, not fans.

@  fourteenwings : (23 January 2020 - 11:41 PM)

LEGO has been doing this for ages, including sending cease and desists when outlets get leaked images.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:42 PM)

And then they ended up selling off the brand, so I guess I wasn't the only one.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:41 PM)

Last time a toy brand I followed tightened down on toy fair and all the invited guests posted glowing reviews of what they saw, I ended up being disappointed as heck.

@  Steevy Maximus : (23 January 2020 - 10:34 PM)

JediNews UK basically said they got a walkthrough of Lego's showcase...but were legally bound to NOT talk about anything, much less take pics.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 10:24 PM)

I wondered why I had seen basically nothing newsworthy from the event

@  Steevy Maximus : (23 January 2020 - 10:14 PM)

Word is that Hasbro and Lego have their UK Toy Fair stuff on MAJOR lockdown. Full NDAs and everything.

@  ThunderWear : (23 January 2020 - 09:28 PM)

Seeing people say the $0.99 + $20 shipping item is cheaper than the $19.99 + free shipping item and getting tons of likes for it... I just don't know anymore.

@  Telly : (23 January 2020 - 09:11 PM)

if you havent already, y'all check your walmarts clearance aisle. i found siege six shot for $5. course, it could just be my walmart, but never hurts to look

@  Vexwing : (23 January 2020 - 07:20 PM)

Candlejack is going to need more ro

@  Patch : (23 January 2020 - 06:30 PM)

I thought you had to type out Candlejack's full name bef

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2020 - 02:46 PM)

I typed in the wrong tab.

@  Paladin : (23 January 2020 - 02:32 PM)

must've been the works of Candleja

@  Telly : (23 January 2020 - 02:06 PM)

looks like maximus wiped himself out mid-sentence

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2020 - 08:42 AM)

Disregard this.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 January 2020 - 06:58 PM)

Bold of you all to assume we won't wipe ourselves out in 50 years.

@  Benbot : (22 January 2020 - 04:27 PM)

There will be no UBI, people will just live in a ditch while they celebrate owning the libs.

@  Rycochet : (22 January 2020 - 03:24 PM)

In 50 years, retail will be dead because all stores are staffless fully automated operations controlled by Amazon. The UBI will be less than a fifth of what it actually costs to live after two decades of cuts and.a steadfast refusal to match inflation.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 January 2020 - 02:55 PM)

In fifty years retail will be a thing of the past through robots, printers and Universal Basic Income.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (21 January 2020 - 11:16 AM)

Big retailers just don't want money anymore, so let's not give them any,

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:12 PM)

This place is a madhouse, feels like being cloned.

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 January 2020 - 03:38 PM)

I took one step beyond the outer limits to the twilight zone.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 10:19 AM)

All retail is basically the same.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2020 - 10:00 AM)

Walmart just needs to go bankrupt already.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:19 AM)

They didn't put the 35th anniversary stuff back out until after new year. I'm no retail expert, but I feel like having stock on the shelf is better than the back. Especially toys at christmas time.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Yeah, my local walmart took away the 35th anniversary endcap weeks before Christmas and left the Transformer section empty well past Christmas.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Mine only has the 35th Anniversary Voyagers. A whole lot of them.

@  Telly : (19 January 2020 - 11:35 PM)

just be happy your walmart even stocks voyagers. mine doesnt

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 January 2020 - 08:53 PM)

Figures that Walmart finally restocks Studio Voyagers...with Wave ONE

@  ThunderWear : (19 January 2020 - 09:27 AM)

I snagged Rainmakers for half off.  They make me want jolly ranchers.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 04:21 PM)

I was using my account on another comptuer, and oddly it seemed to default to $US rather than converting it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 January 2020 - 02:02 PM)

You should be able to set eBay to display in your local currency, although personally I like to know the actual currency the item is listed in so I know if I need to account for forex fees or not

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:34 AM)

I'd also like to take the opportunity to say I despise Ebay for showing the list prices in US money.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:23 AM)

Well there is an overpriced limited edition, but I don't want to pay that much money for it.

Photo

Captain Marvel - Movie discussion

Captain Marvel MCU

510 replies to this topic

#441 bigbot69

bigbot69

Back and slightly less angry...kinda

• Citizen
  • 1401 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:24 AM

Pandering?

It's a Newcomic (apparently)

#442 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28846 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:33 AM

I'd have considered it a bit on the nose if they'd used the deleted version but generally be ok with it. Though I'm fine with how it plays out in the actual cut. Carol is respectful to Fury and Coulson when she is informed they're local law enforcement and the version they went with gives her enough of a reason to steal the bike without us the audience feeling bad for the guy. She's established to have a temper and is alone on a backwater planet trying to find what she believes to be a terrorist cell.

I'm really not sure why some women, like the writers at the Mary Sue, wanted the whole movie to be Carol going around trash talking/attacking men at every chance. I don't really want a movie about Frank Miller's Wonder Woman, thanks. Whenever Carol takes issue with a guy being sexist in the movie it feels valid, not like she's walking around with a chip on her shoulder.

#443 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59947 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:48 AM

Pandering?

By going out of their way to appeal to the "HEY GUESS WHAT EVERYBODY? IT'S A WOMAN? SHE'S A WOMAN!" instead of just leaving it as is about her being a super hero. The underlying aspects of how a man has always kept her down, always tried to control her, even going to the point that they changed Mar-Vell into a little old lady so as not to put her origin at odds with having looked up to a man. It's silly and the entire narrative by both the media outlets and all the complainers detracted from what should have been the focus - Marvel's most powerful hero.

It's also somewhat absurd because Danvers wasn't the first Captain Marvel, and not even the first woman Captain Marvel. So I never understood why that took such a large percentage of the dialog when we should be talking about how she can fly around and do cool shit. 

#444 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28846 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

Disney are at the point where they would like to be very loudly woke than perhaps tell a story. I feel like it's something I should welcome but it just comes off as increasingly obnoxious. It's less the kind of woke where they're trying to improve things/raise awareness and more like they're begging you to find a fault/lying to you that putting all your money into this franchise will somehow save the world.

I think Star Wars has been hit by it the worst but Marvel and even some of their TV stuff like Star Vs has a lot of it too. Don't get me wrong, I love stuff like DS9 and Doctor Who for their social commentary. But with both of those, there's still an independent story to enjoy. Disney are just getting so pushy about it there's sometimes not much fantasy to escape into. It's like someone pointed out the 'I'll marry a prince and that will solve all my problems' stories were naive and outdated so they went HARD in the other direction.

#445 Caldwin

Caldwin

Didn't even break a nail!

• Supporter
  • 25174 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:59 PM

I kinda figured I'd have to wait until it came out on home video before I saw it. I didn't think my first viewing of this movie would be on my iPad while visiting my parents for the weekend. *shrugs*

Disney are at the point where they would like to be very loudly woke than perhaps tell a story. I feel like it's something I should welcome but it just comes off as increasingly obnoxious. It's less the kind of woke where they're trying to improve things/raise awareness and more like they're begging you to find a fault/lying to you that putting all your money into this franchise will somehow save the world.

I think Star Wars has been hit by it the worst but Marvel and even some of their TV stuff like Star Vs has a lot of it too. Don't get me wrong, I love stuff like DS9 and Doctor Who for their social commentary. But with both of those, there's still an independent story to enjoy. Disney are just getting so pushy about it there's sometimes not much fantasy to escape into. It's like someone pointed out the 'I'll marry a prince and that will solve all my problems' stories were naive and outdated so they went HARD in the other direction.

Not wanting to get P&R here, but it just feels like media in general (comics, movies, shows, news, music etc.) has been more soapboxy for a while now. I saw it (and was very aware) of what you were talking about while watching certain parts of this movie. But then I've been becoming more and more aware of it in lots of places lately. So I guess I can't really peg it too hard here on this one movie when it just seems to be all over the place is what I'm trying to say. I mean, Disney and Marvel have been so in your face social commentary, if I'm going to watch/read anything from any of those companies (or I guess "that company" seeing as how they're one big happy family now), I kinda have to expect it. 

Alternative is just to watch a movie that isn't social commentary...like...well...umm...don't tell me, I'm sure I'll think of one...

Nope, I got nothing.

In any case, as far as this movie goes, it was pretty decent. I wasn't sure who to trust since in the comics, I do believe that both the Skrulls and the Kree have both been bad guys in one story or another. So I was entertained. Jude Law is always fun to watch. Seeing how Fury got the eyepatch...I figured we would see how he got it in this movie. But...I wasn't expecting that

I want that cat.

PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#446 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10598 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:43 PM

Goose is good kitty.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#447 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28846 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:15 AM

Media in general is certainly trying to be more progressive, but there's a line between progressive and preachy/condescending. To the point at times attempts to speak on behalf certain groups just alienate said group. Example- Totally Awesome Hulk tried to have a dramatic moment about how it feels to be Asian American. Most Asian Americans I know found it laughable, which is how I even know of it.

In Disney's case it feels like they're not only trying to support these issues but bind them to the properties. I'm still really not sure why in particular they're pushing it so strongly with Star Wars, a series that always had allegory and light social commentary but never pushed it to the extent that Disney has.

I enjoy entertainment with a social conscience but these days it's laid on so thick that so many properties feel like they're judging the audience rather than trying to engage them. And when people buy into it too strongly it gets ridiculous. I mentioned in another thread a while back that Star Wars.com ran a poll asking if you'd be Resistance or First Order and had to cancel it when fans declared it a 'Would you be a Nazi?' poll.

I've cited this before but one of my fave examples from this era is Steven Universe because its message is about coexistence and mutual respect. A lot of other properties feel like they want to actively war with different opinions/insist on imagined superiority. And I find that incredibly tiring and wasteful. There are absolutely backwards ideas in the world that should be challenged. But challenging imagined superiority with another case of it...no.

#448 Caldwin

Caldwin

• Supporter
  • 25174 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:32 AM

@HellCat

I absolutely agree with what you've said. I feel the same thing. So much of today's "entertainment" is like that. I think that's why (from what I can tell), more people tend to watch Youtube vids than mainstream media. 

I think it's just been beaten into a lot of people for so long that that's simply what mainstream media is and good luck finding much that isn't beating you over the head with their own sense of morality...I'm just not sure where to look (aside from some parts of Youtube) that isn't going to be like that. 

Also, don't get me wrong. I love a strong female protagonist. I love Lara Croft, Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn), Wonder Woman. What I don't like is when they go so far to the other side "let's show these boys how it's done," or where the men are jerks and the women will show them the way. Can't we just have movies (like Wonder Woman and actually Justice League and AquaMan now that I think about it), where you have the women characters and the men characters and they both kick ass without the need for saying one sex is better than the other.

So yeah, I totally get where you're coming from. It's just that the DC examples I listed above seem to be more the exception rather than the Marvel norm and I'm not sure what could be done about it. 

I did enjoy this movie though. It made me laugh in several places. I was honestly not sure who to trust until a good chunk of the way through the movie, which is good. I'm glad that MCU have gotten past earth and into the greater part of the galaxy. That gives me more hope that maybe the Shi'ar will be around once the X-Men are finally brought in to the MCU...and maybe finally have a decently faithful portrayal of Dark Phoenix. 

Previously, I've only known Carol Danvers because of how she relates to Rogue. So it's nice to see her in her own story.

I will say that I am with HellCat when I wish that all entertainment (not just this movie, because it's hardly alone in this) could just all take a collective chill pill and lay off the politics...just a little. I'm all for social commentary. But I don't want to go to a movie just to feel like I've been preached to.

PSN = Caldwin

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#449 Telly

Telly

Like a tiny sandwich...

• Retired Staff
  • 8311 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:48 PM

So yeah, I totally get where you're coming from. It's just that the DC examples I listed above seem to be more the exception rather than the Marvel norm and I'm not sure what could be done about it. 

stop trying to pander to an audience that doesnt watch/read what youre offering anyway?

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#450 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:43 PM

Yeah... after reading the last few pages of this thread, I’m bound to get some warning points if I respond to the absolute horse shit that’s been spewed.

#451 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32946 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:29 AM

Glad it isn't just me, then.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#452 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59947 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:44 AM

I'm curious as to what is upsetting to you, to be honest. I've always been progressive and still am - but I also try to be objective about how things can be presented. 

Not *everything* in media needs to be based in activism in order to be good, or even positive. You can have stories that portray positivity in a natural, organic way, that doesn't have to be hamfisted and used as a pulpit. 

av

I think it's important to let people express their opinions. I agree that not everything is for everybody. 

For the most part, as I've already stated, I liked Captain Marvel. It was somewhat mediocre but not the worst Marvel movie. But all this talk about how it's somehow this epic awakening of woman power about the first ever woman super hero movie.. that's absurd.

I grew up with LOTS of movies that had powerful female leads. So barring that, I think this narrative being pushed by the Captain Marvel movie is very disingenuous. All these so called "toxic male tears" or whatever - that's just divisive and combative and is a load of shit.

FANS have always been very critical of the media they enjoy. Proof of that was when the Twilight guy was rumored to be cast as Batman. It was the same when Beast Machines first aired - it's not that fandoms are full of toxic man babies, or whatever other sexist insults are used to describe them. They're just full of fans who either like or don't like something. 

Now of COURSE there are shitty people saying shitty things, but I think we've all known for years that they are just vocal minorities in the broader scope of the fandoms. Surely you don't think for all these decades you've been marginalized in the Transformers fandom as a tiny spec of light in a malrestrom of hate and chaos. We aren't. The majority of fans don't care either way and the vocal fans argue about anything, good and bad, and always have. They always will, that's just how it is.

But the mindset I have is I don't really care what people like or dislike. I either like it or I don't. I'm interested to hear people's opinions and am always curious as to why they might not like something. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with them and it most certainly doesn't mean I have to call them pieces of shit for not being happy with something. 

#453 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12709 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:55 AM

Everyone says "let's not get political" when it comes to a female hero but seems just fine ignoring the underlying plot structure from this movie.

Wherin the "evil aliens" who invade our world are in fact victims of an intensive hateful propaganda campaign propped up by the "good guys" of the military industrial complex & have already lost their original homeland because they refused to yield to colonization efforts.

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#454 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59947 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:00 AM

My favorite part of the movie was seeing that Phil Coulson is still part of the MCU

#455 Caldwin

Caldwin

• Supporter
  • 25174 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:21 AM

Everyone says "let's not get political" when it comes to a female hero but seems just fine ignoring the underlying plot structure from this movie.

Wherin the "evil aliens" who invade our world are in fact victims of an intensive hateful propaganda campaign propped up by the "good guys" of the military industrial complex & have already lost their original homeland because they refused to yield to colonization efforts.

Must remember to respond to this when I get home from work. You have some good points here.
PSN = Caldwin

#456 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3136 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:12 PM

I wonder how, in todays political climate, a Metroid movie would be received. Samus is the embodiment of a strong female character (Other M not withstanding). Would it be seen as an agenda-based movie too?
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#457 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59947 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:23 PM

I don't see why it would be on its own merit. Alita Battle Angel wasn't. Wonder Woman wasn't. Bumblebee wasn't. Tomb Raider wasn't. Halloween wasn't.  Dark Phoenix isn't (as far as I can tell)

There are a lot of great movies with great women leads that focus on the story, the characters and the movie first. They let people take what they want from it and identify with it on how they feel it suits them. 

And Captain Marvel wasn't *really* focused on it, but it did slant towards it. Ghostbusters shameful reboot bludgeoned people over the head with it.

#458 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3136 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:31 PM

Fair enough.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#459 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8485 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:32 PM

I'm curious as to what is upsetting to you, to be honest.

Tthe usual responses to these types of discussions on other forums and social media sites is because "Everything is political" and that usualy means you cannot find the political message to be preachy, off putting, or question if it's appropriate for the audience. Or you know, to think that no not everything is political or needs to be. Generally to express these opinions means "you're the baddie" to various degrees of that meme being figurative or literal and at the top end you get accused of dogwhistling.

#460 Caldwin

Caldwin

• Supporter
  • 25174 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:59 PM

Can't speak for everyone, but the reason I used the whole "not to get political" line was because I came in and saw that things were already serious business and I was really just wanting to talk about a cat hacking up a tesseract. But I didn't want to derail the discussion already going on, and I did kinda have an opinion on it...but I didn't want to get into a big argument. As much as my "political" opinion might have been seen as pointing out problems with the movie, the thing is I really did enjoy it (minus a few of the more soap boxy moments) and will more than likely see it again...a few times. So I certainly don't want to get caught up in an argument where I'm on the 'nay' side of a movie that I actually like. So I'm trying to be really fair with my posts.

But like I said, that's me and I can't really speak for every one.

Actually a fair point. I was actually thinking that near the end. I think there was a bit of disservice done to Jude Law's character because they really could have made him into a so much deeper character who, one on one with Carol has a true and deep friendship with her and tries to do right by her but on the other hand does hold a high rank and was brought up by the Kree government and is deeply rooted in their philosophy.

That could have been such an interesting dynamic to play out. Instead they turned him into a self-centered, misogynist because 'grr, arrgh, I'm the bad guy bwahaha'.

So I guess my over all point is, yeah, it's not perfect. Yeah, there were parts that got preachy. No I didn't like those parts. But it's become so much of what I'm just kinda used to that I've kinda given up trying to fight it.
PSN = Caldwin

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users