Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 October 2019 - 10:36 PM)

Ex-Bundeswehr personnel, eh? Fascinating.

@  Pinkcolliebot : (20 October 2019 - 09:43 PM)

TF Roll Out Hot Rod's Presentation is coming real soon!!

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 01:05 PM)

So whenever he addresses his troops, he keeps cracking jokes. Sometimes these jokes are about the blunders he himself had made in his speech the previous day.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 01:01 PM)

At the moment, I'm blessed with a pretty nice superior. He's got a military background, but he takes an oddly entertaining approach to it. Imagine a stand-up comedian who accidentally enlisted as a drill sergeant.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Another type of everyday absurdity: Imagine you're leaving your workplace for your lunchbreak. Upon your return, you discover that your workplace has been cordened and/or gated off during your break, with "construction site" warning signs everywhere. You go to your superior and tell him: "I can no longer access my workplace! Why is there suddenly a construction site?" Your superior takes a surpised look and says: "I don't know, first time I see this." You figure: "Must be a Tuesday, then."

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 12:51 PM)

It's kind of surreal, really.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 12:50 PM)

They agree that things are less than ideal, but they acknowledge that their scope of making decisions is limited. Oddly, I keep getting that regardless of how high up the chain of command I bother people.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 12:49 PM)

"I hear you, but you know how it is, there's nothing I can do about it." That's it, basically.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 October 2019 - 06:40 AM)

What's it like to have management that's willing to listen to things they don't want to hear? I've never seen that.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:41 AM)

I manage to argue within the company's own internal logic and point out the flaws, shortcomings and discrepancies between "official company policy" and "everyday company reality".

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:40 AM)

Many of my coworkers are scared to even talk to managers. I often discuss company matters with them I disagree with, and it isn't a rare occurrence that they say "yeah, you're right..."

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:38 AM)

I know how to watch my tone, and I prefer to keep things straightforward and factual, never to attack the person, always the problem itself.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:37 AM)

The good thing for me is ever since a minor hiccup many years ago when I was still non-permanent, I've always managed to along just fine with my various superiors (I've been through over a dozen already). And that's despite my outspokenness, my blunt honesty and my oftentimes harsh criticism.

@  Sabrblade : (18 October 2019 - 11:04 PM)

With visuals presented by the Cybernet Space Cube

@  Dekafox : (18 October 2019 - 04:51 PM)

And don't forget to sign up for a cybersecurity seminar while you're there

@  Dekafox : (18 October 2019 - 04:47 PM)

Well you can always strap on some cyberlimbs and go into cyberspace for a cyberpunk experience

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 October 2019 - 04:28 PM)

You know that "cyber" doesn't mean "cyborg", right?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 October 2019 - 04:16 PM)

So where's the Cyborgs on CYBERtron?

@  The Doctor Who : (18 October 2019 - 03:47 PM)

Click here and we can send you notifications about your desire to discontinue notifications!

@  Benbot : (18 October 2019 - 10:40 AM)

Why does every damn website want to send me notifications? NO, no one wants your popups! Quit asking!

@  Echowarrior : (18 October 2019 - 09:19 AM)

Amazon in the US has pretty good benefits, though, and even the temp workers had forty hours a week to start with. Even with minimum wage, that's pretty good pay.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2019 - 01:20 AM)

Oh, the turnover rates are high here as well.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Amazon.com and .ca, on the other hand, can be pretty terrible. I know from your squawkbox posts that you guys have your issues with Amazon over there, although you're lucky to have stronger government regulations and a union there. I gather the warehouse workers in the USA and Canada have it pretty crappy, with very high turnover, close to minimum wage pay, and no unions

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 09:38 PM)

Amazon.de doesn't really have the same issue. I've ordered from them (and UK, FR, IT and JP) several times, and their packaging is much better

@  Nevermore : (17 October 2019 - 05:22 PM)

I'm not sure how it works on the customer's end. As packers, we sometimes have items that are flagged as "overwrap", which means we absolutely have to put them into a box even if they're already in pretty sturdy manufacturer packaging.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 03:05 PM)

Yeah, I really do wish amazon had an option to upgrade packaging for an extra buck or something. I hate their bubble mailers

@  Benbot : (17 October 2019 - 07:17 AM)

That's how it works. I just hope my order from Amazon doesn't arrive crushed because they idiotically stuffed it in an envelope.

@  Telly : (16 October 2019 - 10:48 PM)

my walmart is acting true to form. as soon as mirage arrives from amazon, my walmart gets his entire wave in after months of having wave 1 clogging the pegs....

@  Nevermore : (16 October 2019 - 05:18 PM)

I stirred up some trouble at work, complained about the blatant neglect of employee safety. Was asked to take photos and write down the locations so the matter could be properly escalated. Made me feel a little better.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 October 2019 - 02:55 PM)

I got stabbed in the eyelid by a mudwasp, pulled down a tree, and then got ice cream. You know, all told: not a bad day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 October 2019 - 09:17 AM)

Burrunjor

@  Paladin : (15 October 2019 - 08:04 AM)

your mom.

@  Benbot : (15 October 2019 - 08:02 AM)

What's your favorite Paleolithic megafauna?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:06 PM)

Together with the Rhino G1 sets, probably the most expensive DVDs I ever bought

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:01 PM)

I've still got the age-old Rhino sets

@  Telly : (14 October 2019 - 09:09 PM)

i didnt find that at any of the ones around here, so i had to settle for seasons 1 and 2 of duckman for $3

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Heck, I got the season 2/3 set for $3 (?) from a Dollar General discount bin :p

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM)

The series is pretty cheap on DVD, too, which at least will work internet or no. The complete series set seems to be OOP, but there's a Season 1 set as well as a combined 2 & 3 set.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Woot! Beast wars!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 06:08 PM)

Yay! Tubi now has the first season of Rescue Bots and the full run of Beast Wars FINALLY available.

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Just like me in a game of Civilization. Don't have gunpowder? Time for your cities to burn.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM)

He dubbed the peoples that saw him as bad news cannibals and savages before enslaving and wiping them out too.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 01:40 PM)

And if they had been unfriendly: he would have simply slaughtered them with diseases they couldn't fight, and technology they couldn't match until they as a people did not exist. There's something about european backgrounds that drive us to exploit.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 11:02 AM)

He described the peoples he encountered as some of the most friendly and giving in the world, so naturally, he ate all their food, enslaved them and put them to work looking for gold that did not exist, until they as a people did not exist.

@  Paladin : (14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM)

he landed by coincidence in front of long-term residents.

@  Sabrblade : (14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM)

He said the world was round-o! (He said the world was round-o!) He said it could be found-o! (He said it could be found-o!) That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo! (That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo!)

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM)

In the year 1492, Columbus gave us the day off skoo

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM)

How often do people actually celebrate Columbus or the Pilgrims? Usually it just feels like celebrating the first break in the school year and a nice dinner with the family.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 08:29 AM)

You've got like two more weeks until the american thanksgiving. Canadian thanksgiving is literally a harvest festival.

@  CVReynolds : (14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Hey, everyone. Come together to enjoy this national holiday made to celebrate a mass-murderer who never set foot in the USA. What fun!

Photo

Captain Marvel - Movie discussion

Captain Marvel MCU

492 replies to this topic

#421 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65843 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:18 PM

I'm guessing she's not going to just show up and beat Thanos.

That'd be too easy.  Back in her Ms. Marvel and Binary days I know she wasn't more powerful than the likes of Hulk, Thor, and Ironman (remembering the hot debate that Ironman could defeat all the X-Men by himself).  I'm not sure how much stronger she is than her early 1990's self.

Either way it should be interesting.  :)

ACItEK8.png

#422 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28845 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:22 PM

I think something that's keeping me from loving (rather than just liking) this movie is how, for the most part, it isn't about Carol Danvers the fun and cool Air Force pilot who becomes Captain Marvel. It's instead about an unemotional Starforce soldier named Vers who finds out that she used to be this Carol Danvers person after she went through a life-changing experience that altered her forever and which we didn't get to personally experience along with her, meaning that we only get fragments and glimpses of the real Carol Danvers rather than the movie being all about her instead of this "Vers" persona.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#423 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28845 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

Edited by Sabrblade, 09 April 2019 - 01:54 PM.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#424 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65843 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, the glimpses that we get of her having fun in the bar were nice.  It would have been good to know her before she became a mostly no-nonsense warrior.

Also, she was playing SF2 in the flashback.  Unless that was the game currently there at the time (and just there to show she was playing games at not the actual game she played), SF2 didn't exist in the 1980's.  :)

ACItEK8.png

#425 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 28057 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:21 PM

Yeah good thing this wasn't set in the 1980s but the mid 90s or that'd be terrible.

xC9l3eY.gif

#426 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28845 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:27 PM

Yeah good thing this wasn't set in the 1980s but the mid 90s or that'd be terrible.

Randy said she was playing it during the flashback, which was set in 1989.

Edited by Sabrblade, 09 April 2019 - 03:28 PM.

#427 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65843 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:46 AM

Yes, exactly.  She was missing circa 1989 or something.  A couple years before SF2 existed.

ACItEK8.png

#428 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17294 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:30 AM

In OUR Universe. Clearly in the MCU Howard Stark's patents sped up technology just enough for Japan to push out SF2 quicker than we did. Flying car named Lola and all that.

-ZacWilliam, waiting on my No Prize.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#429 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1268 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:43 AM

i havent read any of her comics

Finally getting around to peoples reaction to the film

I dont get the backlash of Carols power level what part of Comic book movie are people forgetting?

What part of Carols power set did you miss reading in the comics?

It the equivalent of saying Spider-Man cant web sling its unrealistic Yes she is super powerful yes she has a ton of powers deal with it

wheres the fun in watching someone that can handily defeat everyone and everything she comes up against? theres no excitement when the "end boss" comes cause there wont be any real danger to the character. its cool to SEE her punch through big ass spaceships, but if someone can do that then a mere person is childsplay

iron mans had his ass kicked

captain americas had his ass kicked

thors had his ass kicked

hulks even had his ass kicked!

all four of them have had to struggle to win fights (hulk less so than most). carol has, to this point, not. well, not after she went full sparkle or whatever. she had to actually fight earlier in the movie. plus its made her cocky in the endgame clip in the avengers thread. i only hope that theyre setting her up for a major humbling by thanos.

all-powerful characters are just boring

They are fun in some context, like One Punch Man, but those good ones have the story built around it, and that is not exactly what the MCU is though.

I mean, Hulk finally had his real humbling at the beginning of Infinity War, so it took a while til he REALLY got his ass kicked.

And it was also fun in GotG2 where Starlord was arguably the strongest "good guy" character in the MCU for a while, but even he struggled against a like-powered entity, and while it was great for the time he had the power, it made sense that he would not keep it. 

And then he lost his cool against Thanos, and Chris Pratt got hate mail for it.

Yes, exactly.  She was missing circa 1989 or something.  A couple years before SF2 existed.

Spoiler

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#430 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 736 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:21 AM

I mean, Hulk finally had his real humbling at the beginning of Infinity War, so it took a while til he REALLY got his ass kicked.

Thor kicks his ass in Ragnarok too, but for some reason nobody ever remembers that.

#431 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28845 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:34 AM

Thor kicks his ass in Ragnarok too, but for some reason nobody ever remembers that.

It wasn't humbling enough to scare the living daylights out of Hulk.

#432 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65843 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:53 AM

Hulk thought he won too, despite Thor having the upper hand.

ACItEK8.png

#433 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9819 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

How it should have ended:

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#434 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 17058 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:02 PM

Watched because I missed and wanted to see before End Game. Brie Larson oozes charisma in each scene even when she has barely anything to say.

Which is the annoying part. The crux of the movie relies on the plot twist of the Kree being terrible but this denies us knowing hot shot Caro l Danvers more. If I could critique anything it's that we didnt get more of her personality, but she absolutely has the chops to ham it up with everybody else. It's a shame she's coming back to Earth during the most depressing period possible, but what can you do?
Http://www.scatterville.com

#435 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8620 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:18 AM

I'd actually like to see a Carol movie adjusting to time on Earth, since she missed years and years.

But I'm not familiar enough with her comics to know her supporting cast and adventures. Like, I know she was an agent of shield and employed Sleepwalker for an adventure once. Or maybe her supporting cast is cosmic level?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#436 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28639 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:44 AM

The anger over the "What, no smile?" deleted scene is so stupid.

Men saying it makes Carol a sadistic villain. Women saying the whole movie should have been her treating men like this.

I'm so sick of the hugging culture wars.

#437 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Nightmare Month!

• Supporter
  • 62207 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:14 AM

I thought it was a solid film, not the best thing ever... but it wasn't horrible. 

it's above the second Thor and Ironman films in my rankings I think...

but i don't plan on buying the dvd 

#438 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32870 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:20 AM

The anger over the "What, no smile?" deleted scene is so stupid.

Men saying it makes Carol a sadistic villain. Women saying the whole movie should have been her treating men like this.

I'm so sick of the hugging culture wars.

* I'm sick of people being shitty to one another.

* I'm even more sick of shitty people getting bent out of shape when people call them out on their shitty behavior, and suggest they stop being so shitty, as opposed to expecting that their shittyness be tolerated.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#439 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8464 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:42 PM

Unfortunately a lot of shitty people exist on large social media platforms that either tolerate or encourage their shitty behavior. Which means when they get confronted on their shitty behavior on said platforms they freak out.

#440 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59940 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:34 AM

The real reason the scene was deleted is probably due to it damn near plagiarizing Terminator 2's scene. 

I don't mind the pandering as much because this movie isn't really hitting anyone over the head with it, but there are a few cringe moments when looking at it through that lens.

As far as movies go I rate it above Iron Man 3 and maybe Ant Man, only because Ant Man felt even more disconnected from the MCU than Captain Marvel. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users