Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

Not necessarily. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

@  Trpodeca : (17 May 2019 - 11:09 PM)

I voted. Boy there are a worrying amount of parties which sound like fascists.

@  Pennpenn : (17 May 2019 - 06:55 PM)

For those in Australia, it is a federal election today. Go Vote! It's Mandatory!

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 May 2019 - 04:19 PM)

Humor? I 'ardly know 'or!

Photo

Captain Marvel - Movie discussion

Captain Marvel MCU

436 replies to this topic

#421 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64635 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:37 AM

Finally getting around to peoples reaction to the film

I dont get the backlash of Carols power level what part of Comic book movie are people forgetting?

What part of Carols power set did you miss reading in the comics?

Not everyone has read the comics.

I'd be likely to guess that most of the viewing audience for this movie hasn't.

Whether that be a good thing or a bad thing depends on your view.

ACItEK8.png

#422 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7815 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:37 AM

i havent read any of her comics

I dont get the backlash of Carols power level what part of Comic book movie are people forgetting?

It the equivalent of saying Spider-Man cant web sling its unrealistic Yes she is super powerful yes she has a ton of powers deal with it

wheres the fun in watching someone that can handily defeat everyone and everything she comes up against? theres no excitement when the "end boss" comes cause there wont be any real danger to the character. its cool to SEE her punch through big ass spaceships, but if someone can do that then a mere person is childsplay

iron mans had his ass kicked

captain americas had his ass kicked

thors had his ass kicked

hulks even had his ass kicked!

all four of them have had to struggle to win fights (hulk less so than most). carol has, to this point, not. well, not after she went full sparkle or whatever. she had to actually fight earlier in the movie. plus its made her cocky in the endgame clip in the avengers thread. i only hope that theyre setting her up for a major humbling by thanos.

all-powerful characters are just boring

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#423 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64635 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:18 PM

I'm guessing she's not going to just show up and beat Thanos.

That'd be too easy.  Back in her Ms. Marvel and Binary days I know she wasn't more powerful than the likes of Hulk, Thor, and Ironman (remembering the hot debate that Ironman could defeat all the X-Men by himself).  I'm not sure how much stronger she is than her early 1990's self.

Either way it should be interesting.  :)

ACItEK8.png

#424 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27650 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:22 PM

I think something that's keeping me from loving (rather than just liking) this movie is how, for the most part, it isn't about Carol Danvers the fun and cool Air Force pilot who becomes Captain Marvel. It's instead about an unemotional Starforce soldier named Vers who finds out that she used to be this Carol Danvers person after she went through a life-changing experience that altered her forever and which we didn't get to personally experience along with her, meaning that we only get fragments and glimpses of the real Carol Danvers rather than the movie being all about her instead of this "Vers" persona.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#425 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27650 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

Edited by Sabrblade, 09 April 2019 - 01:54 PM.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#426 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64635 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, the glimpses that we get of her having fun in the bar were nice.  It would have been good to know her before she became a mostly no-nonsense warrior.

Also, she was playing SF2 in the flashback.  Unless that was the game currently there at the time (and just there to show she was playing games at not the actual game she played), SF2 didn't exist in the 1980's.  :)

ACItEK8.png

#427 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27551 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:21 PM

Yeah good thing this wasn't set in the 1980s but the mid 90s or that'd be terrible.

xC9l3eY.gif

#428 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27650 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:27 PM

Yeah good thing this wasn't set in the 1980s but the mid 90s or that'd be terrible.

Randy said she was playing it during the flashback, which was set in 1989.

Edited by Sabrblade, 09 April 2019 - 03:28 PM.

#429 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64635 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:46 AM

Yes, exactly.  She was missing circa 1989 or something.  A couple years before SF2 existed.

ACItEK8.png

#430 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16910 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:30 AM

In OUR Universe. Clearly in the MCU Howard Stark's patents sped up technology just enough for Japan to push out SF2 quicker than we did. Flying car named Lola and all that.

-ZacWilliam, waiting on my No Prize.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#431 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1150 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:43 AM

i havent read any of her comics

It the equivalent of saying Spider-Man cant web sling its unrealistic Yes she is super powerful yes she has a ton of powers deal with it

wheres the fun in watching someone that can handily defeat everyone and everything she comes up against? theres no excitement when the "end boss" comes cause there wont be any real danger to the character. its cool to SEE her punch through big ass spaceships, but if someone can do that then a mere person is childsplay

iron mans had his ass kicked

captain americas had his ass kicked

thors had his ass kicked

hulks even had his ass kicked!

all four of them have had to struggle to win fights (hulk less so than most). carol has, to this point, not. well, not after she went full sparkle or whatever. she had to actually fight earlier in the movie. plus its made her cocky in the endgame clip in the avengers thread. i only hope that theyre setting her up for a major humbling by thanos.

all-powerful characters are just boring

They are fun in some context, like One Punch Man, but those good ones have the story built around it, and that is not exactly what the MCU is though.

I mean, Hulk finally had his real humbling at the beginning of Infinity War, so it took a while til he REALLY got his ass kicked.

And it was also fun in GotG2 where Starlord was arguably the strongest "good guy" character in the MCU for a while, but even he struggled against a like-powered entity, and while it was great for the time he had the power, it made sense that he would not keep it. 

And then he lost his cool against Thanos, and Chris Pratt got hate mail for it.

Yes, exactly.  She was missing circa 1989 or something.  A couple years before SF2 existed.

Spoiler

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#432 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:21 AM

I mean, Hulk finally had his real humbling at the beginning of Infinity War, so it took a while til he REALLY got his ass kicked.

Thor kicks his ass in Ragnarok too, but for some reason nobody ever remembers that.

#433 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 27650 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:34 AM

Thor kicks his ass in Ragnarok too, but for some reason nobody ever remembers that.

It wasn't humbling enough to scare the living daylights out of Hulk.

#434 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64635 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:53 AM

Hulk thought he won too, despite Thor having the upper hand.

ACItEK8.png

#435 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9331 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

How it should have ended:

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#436 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16821 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:02 PM

Watched because I missed and wanted to see before End Game. Brie Larson oozes charisma in each scene even when she has barely anything to say.

Which is the annoying part. The crux of the movie relies on the plot twist of the Kree being terrible but this denies us knowing hot shot Caro l Danvers more. If I could critique anything it's that we didnt get more of her personality, but she absolutely has the chops to ham it up with everybody else. It's a shame she's coming back to Earth during the most depressing period possible, but what can you do?
Http://www.scatterville.com

#437 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8214 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:18 AM

I'd actually like to see a Carol movie adjusting to time on Earth, since she missed years and years.

But I'm not familiar enough with her comics to know her supporting cast and adventures. Like, I know she was an agent of shield and employed Sleepwalker for an adventure once. Or maybe her supporting cast is cosmic level?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users