Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

- - - - -

Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them official trailer 2

37 replies to this topic

#21 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3384 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:45 PM

Watched this movie on DVD today, to be honest, the visuals are good, the acting reasonable, the story, is a slog, clearly this movie is to busy setting up for the sequels that its falling over its self, if anything, I think with Fantastic beasts, JK simply wanted a excuse to visit other parts of the wizarding world that Harry Potter never did! I found in this film, there is to many characters and many of them underdeveloped or simply forgettable, the reason Harry Potter worked so well, is because we got to grow with the characters and see some kids grow into adults and fine actors, here, we are just given Newt, a collector of strange magical creatures, who is already an adult, yet he really lacks motivation as a character. In all, I have to give this film a 2 out of five Stars, to much time wasted on setup for sequels and not really enough to truly keep one invested in the story, I think JK could of used a cowriter or someone to look over her script prior to filming.

My general thoughts are for this: Aside from the fact it could of been better, many of the preformances by the actors were just subpar, to many characters who just suddenly appear and have next to no back story, I also feel the title of the film is rather misleading, it shouldn't be called the Crimes of Grindelwald, it should be called Magical World Paris, with a title like it has, one would expect more of a trial type film, where Grindelwald is put on trial for his crimes, not escape in the first act and then spend rest of the movie pretty much mopping about and then making some speech towards the crimax of the film. In the first film, the reveal of the villian being Grindelwald was a complete waste of time because it meant nothing, there was no pay off for that, we are seeing the main villian for the first time and their doing nothing but getting taken away by the good guys. As a villian, Grindelwald is weak, dull and uninspired, the guy playing Dumbledore was pretty desent and had a much stronger performance than Grindelwald did!

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#22 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38972 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:51 PM

Grindelwald single handily took out dozens of Auroras without even trying that hard, and could have easily destroyed Paris if the Alchemist wasn't there to stop his fire and forget spell. The dude wasn't there for a fight, as he is playing the long game, gathering followers and trying to defeat his biggest threat, Albus Dumbledore. 

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#23 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1782 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

I just saw The Crimes of Grindelwald. I wouldn't call it inspired, but it had it's moments.

Gidnelwald is like, a good villain on paper. He makes a lot of smart moves, coupled with a number of "Hahaha I'm the Bad Guy do you get it yet?" moves. There's also the fact that his entire plan relies on getting an emotionally underdeveloped and severely unstable child stuck in a man's body to do what he wants.

As for the other characters, they were sketched well enough, and I'm glad Newt's brother didn't end up dying. There were two entire flashbacks for Leta, which I think wrapped up her arc in this movie nicely but what happens to her kind of... felt like it was cleaning up a mess rather than a natural growth from those things in her past.

A lot of people complain that this movie has a lot of set up, but I think that's actually ignoring the many things that did happen. I mean, the main problem is that the final act (again?) was really poorly written and dragged out an ending that essentially happens before the Grindlewald rally by stuffing it with lots of big bang things.

This is probably my favorite movie series, but also the only one I follow so that's not much praise.

Anyways at the beginning there was a lot that's just:

Spoiler

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Elon Musk's 'Biggest Fan'✰

#24 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9734 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:39 PM

Honest trailer:

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#25 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:27 PM

This film killed my interest in future Harry Potter media. This film is nothing but a soulless cashgrab, more interested in setting up the next five years of films, than being engaging or interesting in its own right.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#26 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22615 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:31 PM

I find that a very weird complaint, if only because of how it would sound in other contexts. Like, replace "film" with "episode" or any sort of installment in a serialized format.

#27 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2663 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:55 PM

I'm still scratching my head as to how a fun little bestiary with silly notes by Ron and Harry written in the margins is being turned into this epic 5-parter film saga involving that evil wizard Dumbledore fought.

#28 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:02 PM

If they wanted this to be a film about Newt they should have had him travel the world, researching magical creatures. If they needed an overarching villain, he should have fought a poacher, a smuggler, a corrupt government official, or something, who's exploiting some magical creature, and when Newt beat them he learns that they were actually part of a larger organisation. This organisation then becomes the main villains of the film series.

It would have been something different, and actually made sense for a series called "Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them".

Edited by Trpodeca, 09 April 2019 - 11:03 PM.

#29 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22615 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:10 PM

The bizarre detachment of Newt himself would be a problem if this were the first thing we see from this universe, but I think it's refreshing after how much of Harry Potter was dependent on, well, Harry himself.

Admittedly, I don't remember the books too well, but from what I gathered the view they gave of the Wizarding World was a bit too confined by what Harry could care to remember, so a lot of things like how society works was left unclear.

edit: not to say that the approach taken back then was bad, but such a hugely divergent approach is something this universe really needs. Maybe these movies aren't the best way to do it, but I can't say I want Newt to feel more like a lead after all the years of Harry.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 09 April 2019 - 11:19 PM.

#30 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1782 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:59 PM

a series called "Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them".

Only the first movie was called that.

Granted, I never really paid much attention to the real part of the Harry Potter franchise after reading the books and seeing a few of the movies

This film is nothing but a soulless cashgrab

Is this bad when the movies themselves are pretty fun? Like, this is a series about the Wizarding World and a prequel that goes over a lot of what the Harry Potter series chose to ignore in order to tell it's story. It's an expansive world-building attempt, and I quite like that.

than being engaging or interesting in its own right.

If you chose to ignore every single character and their compelling narratives, sure? Like honestly the Queenie plot from the second movie was surprisingly compelling in it's own right, starting on what appears to be the wrong foot just to actually show you that this is indeed the path she's taking in the end. I mean, I don't believe Maggie and Newt have any chemistry, but that could be said for a lot of things.

and when Newt beat them he learns that they were actually part of a larger organisation.

I don't want to get into criticizing your take on things but "large organization of animal poachers" doesn't sound anywhere near as interesting as what the series is doing right now.

I mean the movies are nowhere near perfect, but J.K.R is no screenwriter and even if she were, these are still tentpole blockbusters, but she's done pretty well with what she's got. Grindelwald was a big set-up movie, but it did it's work pretty briskly without screwing up too much, and was a fun, enjoyable ride.

On this note, filming for the third movie was pushed back from July this year to possibly next year, probably to get an actual screenwriter to handle J.K.R and maybe add a bunch of levity.

#31 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:37 AM

When I meant larger group, I meant a larger criminal organisation, one who's involved in all sort of activities, not just animal ones. I could have made that clearer.

#32 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38972 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:35 AM

A bit of delay for her to get someone to help out would be nice.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#33 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14595 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:55 AM

That's the problem. This is pure JK, with no one editing her work or acting as a conduit for her ideas. She is the only writer credited and it shows. She desperately needs a cowriter who knows how to translate ideas cinematically. Instead we get JK drivel and wish fulfillment. 

Yep.

#34 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22615 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:43 AM

Is there anything in these movies that was more wish-fulfillment than the Ron and Hermione relationship? Like, surely it's too early for any particular character's fate to seem "this looks like what the writer would have liked to happen to herself".

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 11 April 2019 - 10:44 AM.

#35 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3384 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:51 AM

Agreed, I felt this film was just a low stakes mess and the villian was pretty worthless, the reason why Voldmort worked pretty well, he was built up carefully and didn't make his full return until the fourth book/film, but in this series, they suddenly reveal him at the end of the first film in a manner that made the reveal completely worthless as he was being taken into custody under the idenity he spent the whole film as and then at the begining of the second film, he escapes, so what was the point in putting him into jail in the first place?

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#36 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22615 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:00 AM

the reason why Voldmort worked pretty well, he was built up carefully and didn't make his full return until the fourth book/film,

That's some nonsense reasoning. Are you saying that villains can't work unless you take four movies before they show up?

I don't think this is even a sensible comparison considering that Grindelwald has been known about since Philosopher's Stone and lacks anything even approaching Voldemort's personal animosity towards Harry, so waiting four movies for Grindelwald would be more like four movies of aimless meandering rather than four movies of setup.

#37 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22615 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:23 AM

as he was being taken into custody under the idenity he spent the whole film as

That's not even true. His disguise fell off so the American wizards knew they were arresting Grindelwald instead of Graves.

and then at the begining of the second film, he escapes, so what was the point in putting him into jail in the first place?

Are characters not allowed to leave a place quickly? Does every change of location need to be detailed in lots of screentime? Chamber of Secrets had Hagrid sent to prison and then return entirely off-screen.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 11 April 2019 - 11:23 AM.

#38 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1782 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

Voldemort worked as a villain?

Anyways, assuming that the Americans, who had super screwed up everything (like, everything) in the first movie would somehow be able to hold Grindelwald at all is really giving them a lot of leeway. Presumably he'd accounted for being captured at some point and had an exit plan.

made the reveal completely worthless as he was being taken into custody under the idenity he spent the whole film as

That's not why the Grindelwald reveal from the first film was bad, it was bad because it completely messed with the relationship that [Colin Farrel one and Credence had developed, which was pretty compelling. And it was bad enough that the bromance between them was framed in such a messed up way, it was made all the worse when it was actually confirmed that an old creepy gay man was trying to exploit Credence right from the start.

She desperately needs a cowriter who knows how to translate ideas cinematically. Instead we get JK drivel and wish fulfillment.

There's a lot of Set A to Set B to Set C-ing in the second movie, which was confusing and unneccesary. As a result, there are a bunch of scenes where characters just kind of get from one place to another without much explanation.

In the French Ministry, Leta is separated from Newt's brother somehow, but this is never shown nor is she ever questioned about it. Similarly, Newt, Maggie and Leta (and Jacob, separately I think) basically poof into existence at the Grindelwald rally, which is awkward as heck. And Maggie's solo adventures in the beginning of the movie are really, really weirdly framed.

But I won't agree on the drivel/wish fulfillment, because there hasn't been one moment where I felt that she'd just set aside writing a film to write the one super iconic scene she'd always wanted to write. In fact, I'd say the Leta flashback scenes are almost the opposite of this. And it's hard to claim Dumbledore is her sacred cow when he's barely in most of The Crimes of Grindelwald (you didn't say anything about this but it's common criticism I've heard online).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users