Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  fourteenwings : (26 April 2019 - 12:11 AM)

After "Secret Wars", Marvel's comic sales dropped for most of their series but it wasn't bad enough to be worried about. I think. What homages, exactly?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (25 April 2019 - 09:31 PM)

Kamen Rider Specter Tutankhamun Soul was definitely a thing.

@  B-Fox : (25 April 2019 - 09:30 PM)

How popular is Marvel's current comics? Because the homages to it got very anemic audience reactions.

@  The Doctor Who : (25 April 2019 - 07:47 PM)

An Egyptian themed version of a popular Japanese TV show: Tutankhamun Rider

@  MEDdMI : (25 April 2019 - 06:53 PM)

combine the two options. Grayffles or Waffson

@  Paladin : (25 April 2019 - 05:43 PM)

split the difference- "Ryan" after the Titanium Ranger.

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:10 PM)

The second name choice is "Waffles", named after Goofy's gray tabby cat from Goof Troop. It's a cuter name than "Grayson" and the kitten is definitely adorable, but his colors aren't as close a match to the namesake as one of his sibling's colors are (said sibling is already spoken for, so I can't name that one).

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:07 PM)

The first name choice is "Grayson", because he's gray and a son, and I think the name sounds cool. It also makes me think of Carter Grayson, the Red Ranger from Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue, who was a born leader and one of the coolest Red Rangers.

@  Paladin : (25 April 2019 - 05:07 PM)

"Lamont."

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:06 PM)

I need help deciding on a name for one of the kittens. He's an all-gray cat but is also showing early signs of growing some black stripes in his fur. There are two names I've thought of for him and can't decide which one I like more.

@  Telly : (25 April 2019 - 01:31 PM)

got the second part of first gundam, popped it in and wow! picture miles better than my old dvds. other than the archaic animation (which i dont mind), it looks like it was done recently

@  Xellos : (25 April 2019 - 07:49 AM)

Aye, or at least the movies for Zeta, as they supposedly negate ZZ, kinda like how the Code Geass clip movies retcon some events before the newest one.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:05 PM)

i wish theyd dub double zeta. thats the only one im missing for the "amuro vs char" thing (and chars not even in it so...). but given some of the things ive heard about it, its probly best that they dont dub it

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:02 PM)

and im on vacation next week so ill have lots of time to watch all this lol

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:01 PM)

@zaku ive got war in the pocket on standard dvd already. amazon didnt have it on blu ray. bonus points to it for having character designs by haruhiku mikimoto. and this collecction is only "new" in as much as its new to me on blu ray. ive had burnt dvd copies of it all for years

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 09:44 PM)

Yeah, 00 was pretty good, and I recently watched Build Divers, and found it really fun. Got both limited editions of IBO... still need to watch them...

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 April 2019 - 08:30 PM)

00 is also pretty good, basically a refined version of the Wing concept, and IBO is great.

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 April 2019 - 08:29 PM)

I'll be the requisite "Build Fighters is actually pretty good" chime in

@  MEDdMI : (24 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

G Gundam was the best. Horse mecha! Piloted by.... a HORSE!

@  ZakuConvoy : (24 April 2019 - 07:31 PM)

I'd probably recommend tracking down 0080 War in the Pocket to go along with your new collection, but you might have enough to watch for right now.

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 06:53 PM)

G Gundam will likely always rank first for me, as it is the one I find the most fun, but 8th MS was great for being the most "realistic" of the UC stuff.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 06:17 PM)

the only other gundam series ive watched-which was also the FIRST gundam series i watched-is wing (and ill probly get that on blu ray soon too). i know i havent watched everything tied to it, but the UC is quite enough for me lol

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 06:14 PM)

i think 8th team is my favorite, but cant say why. maybe it has something to do with them not being newtypes. i dont particularly like that concept

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 06:11 PM)

8th M Team, 0083, and Zeta are my favorites of the original timeline. Have yet to watch Origin, but it is loooow on my list, as I never particularly liked Char. Quattro Bajeena was actually kinda cool, though.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 05:49 PM)

so i just did something insane. i bought gundam origin, first gundam, 08th ms team, operation stardust, zeta gundam AND chars counterattack on bluray...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Hollywood stereotypes, eh? Don't get me started on how sheerly unrealistic that can be, and how badly Hollywood loves to stick to them.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:44 PM)

Also, fun fact: To me, Dutch is the language that sounds harsh compared to German.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:37 PM)

Generally, nobody shouts at each other in Germany unless they're either a) morons or b) doing it for comedic effect.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:36 PM)

... based on an outdated way of speaking (I mean, does anyone in the US still speak like Joe Friday?)... which might also have been at least partially a regional thing.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Generally, many native English speakers' primary conception of the German language and its perceived harshness comes from Hollywood movies... created by non-native German speakers, with non-native German actors giving their impression of what they think the German language sounds like...

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:33 PM)

I might be severely biased, but as a native German speaker, I think the perception of the "harsh German language" is at least in part due to a myth created by Hollywood.

@  Pinkcolliebot : (24 April 2019 - 05:32 PM)

I wish I knew if that Blue autobot in the background in the movie Bumblebee was Blurr.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Blood is blue before coming into contact with air from outside.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 April 2019 - 09:50 AM)

I had to use a whole ten percent of my brain to understand that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 April 2019 - 08:32 AM)

I think I saw a debunking of that like at least a decade ago when I still relied on TV for things.

@  Paladin : (24 April 2019 - 08:21 AM)

isn't the whole "lemmings jump to their death" thing proven false now too???

@  Pennpenn : (24 April 2019 - 03:05 AM)

It's like how the whole "alpha male" thing doesn't really show up in wolf packs in the wild.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 01:54 AM)

Aaaaand another myth busted.

@  CORVUS : (24 April 2019 - 12:27 AM)

Quite welcome! :)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 09:51 PM)

@Corvus Huh, did not know that part. Thanks for imparting knowledge!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 09:27 PM)

No because it's true.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 April 2019 - 09:17 PM)

Would I be jaded if i said that's a good lesson about people as well?

@  CORVUS : (23 April 2019 - 09:01 PM)

Overstated risk. Most observations of sexual cannibalism in the Praying Mantis occurred in captivity, versus nature. When entomologists began observing them in nature instead, they found that sexual cannibalism took place around 30% of the time. Basically, if a male Mantis avoids thin, hungry females, his chances are pretty good. #yesimanerd

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

Are you a male mantis?

@  MEDdMI : (23 April 2019 - 07:27 PM)

Death by snu snu

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 06:40 PM)

There's a joke about going out with a bang to be made here.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 06:38 PM)

I would hope getting laid is preferred over dying :p

@  Nevermore : (23 April 2019 - 05:20 PM)

Don't we all want to get laid?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 04:53 PM)

I'd spend the first few loops just taking an extended nap.

@  Dekafox : (23 April 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Endless death time loops certainly happen enough in Star Trek

- - - - -

Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them official trailer 2

37 replies to this topic

#1 (Deactivated) BillBarclay

(Deactivated) BillBarclay
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:47 PM

Edited by BillBarclay, 28 September 2016 - 01:44 PM.

#2 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8147 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:55 PM

Saw it.

It's better than Strange in terms of magic use so I enjoyed it a lot for that.  The romance was cute but almost childish/childlike so slightly took away from the adult feel I wanted.  It was really good with effects and the story.  Slightly annoyed with Tina but loved Queenie.  Special effects heavy but that's expected.  It's an adult fairy tale with an adult setting, a slight adult metaphor with discrimination but Rowling suddenly went for a super simple romance in here.  Not very realistic but very cute, haha.  One of my favorite parts, not the second one though.

On the magic, it's actually got more magical action that Doctor Strange to me, and more than a regular Potter movie too.  I guess American wizards are more free with their powers.  Loved it.  Great variety of magical beasts but I'm annoyed that I can't get everything Eddie mumbles about.  Familiar spells are used, which is awesome for Potter fans

A slight downside for me is Newt is so capable and awesome with creatures that it takes away from Hagrid.  To be fair, Hagrid wasn't a very good caretaker for magical creatures anyhow, haha.  No, Hagrid isn't in the movie.

Loved the effects for the monsters, even biggest one.  The music was very manipulative but admittedly very good too.  Hated the guest star but that's me.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#3 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10559 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:50 PM

Apparently this features Ghostbusters-style frame breaking in the IMAX 3-D presentation, so I'll likely be seeing it that way as it really enhances the 3-D effect.

CxJpsYkWEAAmeBQ.jpg

#4 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38683 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:33 AM

The Wife and I went and saw it yesterday and we both loved this film! Such a great addition to the Potterverse!

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#5 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:48 PM

I enjoyed it as well.  I kept myself spoiler free prior to seeing it, so I had no idea what to expect going in, but came out pretty enthusiastic for the rest of the proposed 5-film series.  I found the Harry Potter film series took a while to really find its feet, and I didn't really start liking them until they went with British directors who seemed to have a better understanding of British humor.  The Chris Columbus entries, in particular, I really find grating in some scenes.  This series seems to have hit the ground running, though, and I'm looking forward to the rest.

The only thing I didn't really like was

Spoiler

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 21 November 2016 - 08:49 PM.

#6 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22234 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:53 PM

It was alright, and enjoyed it up until the end ruined everything with lame solutions to huge problems. =/

Also Grindelwald looks frikkin' dumb and his reveal was dumb too.

Edited by Caboo, 21 November 2016 - 08:54 PM.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#7 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8147 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:06 AM

Yeah, I hated that cuz Farrel was doing so good. Would that he stayed. He was creepy enough with his treatment of Ezra.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#8 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Staff
  • 38683 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:04 AM

Spoiler

Any idea on who should be a young Dumbledore?

Edited by The Predaking, 22 November 2016 - 09:04 AM.

#9 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3002 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:45 PM

I'm not long back from the cinema, having seen this film today, in general its a pretty good film, but I kind of felt the ending could of been better, Grindelwald, they should of really reseved him for the sequels than the sudden reveal at the end because it made no real sense to me, there was no real hinting at the fact that guy was Grindelwald, sure he was the bad guy of the film story yet the sudden reveal was pretty boring. His look was also terrible, then again, Voldamort looked terrible as well, mainly because I envisioned a man not a freak, exactly why did anyone follow Voldamort in the first place, surely they must of thought something wrong when they look at his face. Anyway, the film is pretty good to watch, thou I had to sit through nearly 30 min of adverts and trailers for other films, before the main film came on.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#10 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10559 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:07 PM

mainly because I envisioned a man not a freak, exactly why did anyone follow Voldamort in the first place, surely they must of thought something wrong when they look at his face. 

Voldermort was also a magical genius with a ton of raw power.  And he didn't always look like that... I'm sure he did look human when a lot of his followers first aligned themselves with him, and by the time he looked like a whackjob he'd also proven himself and his abilities to them.  And as we heard many times thoughout the books, as a man he was quite handsome and charismatic.

I do agree on Grindelwald, though.  I feel it would've been nice if this series had shown us a different type of dark wizard... after all, they don't all need to have "out there" appearances and whatnot.  I'd have liked Grindelwald to have been a bit more "old-timey" (especially given the era in which this series will take place)... distinguished, a little suave, etc.

Spoiler

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 28 December 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#11 The Jawa

The Jawa

Utinni!

• Citizen
  • 4188 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

Voldemort looked the way he did, due to "experiments" and the creation of the horcruxes. 

Most Death Eaters were greedy, arrogant, cowardly little buggers.  Some were just scared, some wanted fame wealth and power, others wanted to dominate muggles and half bloods.  There was also a lot of blackmail going around, and Voldy was a very powerful legimens (essentially could read minds).

-~- The Jawa -~-

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they eat rainbows and poop butterflies..."

#12 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3002 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

Voldy was a very powerful legimens (essentially could read minds).

That more likely he reading their faces and their expressions

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#13 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8147 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:56 PM

Is there no Crimes of Grindelwald thread?

Saw it.

It's pretty adult, with the political (Grindelwald) and social issues (OMG, Queenie!). D is very dashing. Way too much love for me but I'm glad Rowling is getting into more serious adult stuff than just romance. Not enough beasts this time sadly. Magical effects are AWESOME. So many characters this time that Newt is overshadowed.

No extra scene at the end. This is really a five movie series?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#14 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6037 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 13 November 2018 - 04:40 PM

How important is it to see the original to enjoy this one?

#15 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 11587 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:11 PM

I only saw the second trailer but I know the Nagini thing is gonna have a LOT of folks pissed off. 

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#16 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8147 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:24 PM

How important is it to see the original to enjoy this one?

Important because the antagonists in the first movie carry over.

Saw some cosplayers at the advanced screening so attacked one of them.

Since I didn't see the trailers for Fantastic Beasts 2, I had no idea about Nagini until a lady cosplayer told me who she was dressed up as.

Edited by Fero McPigletron, 13 November 2018 - 09:43 PM.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#17 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Staff
  • 38683 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:22 AM

This opens in theaters tonight! I really need to see if I can book a babysitter for sometime this weekend!

#18 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8887 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 10:02 AM

I found the movie really conflicting on both a plot and acting standpoint. I will refrain from major spoilers but will give thoughts of the movie at large.

My biggest complaint is that it seems like the Grindelwald and Dumbledore side plot overshadows the main cast way too much. It focuses so much on expanding the lore of the wizarding world at large that Newt and the rest arent even the stars of the story it feels.

You could almost of given Jude Law and Johnny Depp their own prequel movie. If not for Grindelwalds continued focus on Creedence there really feels like a minimal connection to Whats going on here compared to the last film.

That said there were some great and fun scenes with Newt taming some truly Fantastic Beasts. I actually had fun pointing out a Kappa to my friend at one point in the brief flash of a scene. It just really takes a backseat to the experience of getting the history of the familiar names of the Potter series. Dumbledore, Lastrange, Gindelwald really seems like where we focused. Even with the focus on Nagini in the marketing, she really plays little part in the overall movie.

But as to the acting, I really feel like Depp phoned in Grindelwald. At times it felt like he was going hammy with the Im the bad guy, and others when hes supposed to be the revolutionary leader of the proto Death Eaters he just feels blah. I do think they gave Him an excellent idea for why he feels the Wizarding World should rise up to take over the world at large but I never got him to be anywhere near charismatic enough to be such a convincing leader.

#19 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4667 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:28 PM

https://slate.com/cu...movie-ever.html

lol, this is not the most glowing of reviews

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~Coco Chanel

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#20 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8147 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:59 PM

Dumbledore wasn't on screen a lot but his presence is felt. Newt just wasn't shining through in terms of motivation. It was Queenie whose arc I was most invested in, despite grousing about too much love as a factor.

Kappa, I recognized. But that big thing? Never heard of it before. Why focus on Chinese beasts? Another Chinese market bid?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users