Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  tigerhawk : (23 June 2021 - 10:09 AM)

"This never happened to the other fellow." -  One of my fave meta jokes in movies from 007: On her Majesty's Secret Service.

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

Photo

Appropriate and Inappropriate Police Action Thread

1324 replies to this topic

#1301 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 34416 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:26 PM

That is where I think the Left have lost the message, because they've shifted from the rhetoric of Equality to the rhetoric of Anti-Racism. You barely hear about "everyone being treated equally" anymore; the big slogans are about Anti-Black, Anti-Immigrant, Anti-Trans, Anti-Asian. The undercurrent of racial policies has changed from "How do we make society more equal in the future?" to "Since society is unequal, who needs support in the present?"

This sounds a lot like you want to strike things like "Black Lives Matter" in favor of "All Lives Matter". All while targeted legislation at the state-level in multiple states represent pointed attacks on the Black and Trans communities, for example. 

Targeted support is absolutely needed when marginalized groups are being deliberately targeted by a hostile entity in the political arena, and being targeted for injury and/or death in their everyday lives. Equality for all is absolutely the long-term goal, but we're living in a United States that, for example, hasn't been able to get the Equal Rights Amendment passed in 40 years. 

As such, wanting to banish certain slogans for the sake of civility is very much the sort of moderate, incrementalist thinking that's gotten us where we are now, because you absolutely cannot "get along" with the group that has made it their mantra to negotiate in bad faith. Lucy van Pelt will absolutely yank that football away every goddamn time. 

Edited by CORVUS, 05 May 2021 - 12:07 AM.

"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away." - Strong Bad

#1302 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*angry horse noises*

• Administrator
  • 42364 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:00 PM

It's depressing that "All Lives Matter" is still a thing. It's such a stupid response to an argument no one was making.

Killing people is not the police's job.

Sometimes it is.

If cops have a duty of care to use the minimal amount of force needed on a suspect (I think we've agreed on that point by now), they damn well also have a duty of care to minimize risk to a bystander (on the street or in bed or wherever) or to an imminent victim. If this cop were any slower or tried a less effective tool and the woman in pink got stabbed to death you can bet twitter would be blaming him saying he must not have cared about her life. And honestly they'd have a point. If you're ever trying to save somebody's life, it's irresponsible not to give them their absolute best chance.

But just because this was a justified use of force doesn't mean we shouldn't explore the long chain of events that led up to it, and I think that's where this streamer really screwed up. We shouldn't "wait for the next one." The cop did what he had to do in a situation that did not have to happen and we still need to ask why it did happen.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#1303 Xaaron

Xaaron
  • Citizen
  • 2150 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:11 PM

"All Lives Matter" was a bad faith retort at the BLM slogan. It wasn't meant to stand on it's own and was used as a passive-aggressive attack on a movement voicing a legitimate social concern.

I do think BLM could have presented their concerns in a more politically effective way.

There are examples of racism in police work where police do their jobs correctly, but only against minorities. I mean, for example, cops who perform lawful traffic stops on black people committing traffic violations, but never stop white people. But George Floyd, Jacob Blake, Breonna Taylor (and so many others this past year alone) were examples of Objectively Bad Police Work. This was abuse of power, excessive force, disregard for innocent's safety, etc. etc, etc. You could call for Police Reform based on those cases without ever mentioning Race. But because the public rhetoric became about Racist Cops, the narrative became about Whether or not this was Racist, which was a completely moot point because this was initially about Objectively Bad Police Work.

Again, it goes back to my Equality rhetoric vs. Racism rhetoric opinion: If you campaign that police are corrupt and hurting people and need reform, everybody goes "Hey...I'M people!" But if you campaign that police are racist and corruptly target minorities, you will lose support from people who say "That's sad, but I'm not a minority so I probably will be fine." Self-preservation is just a better sell than Empathy, politically. Horrible, but true.

These cases all happened because of racism -- systemic racism, or just conscious deliberate racism. Minorities are unfairly targeted by the police around the country, and BLM was the tipping point where they'd had enough and needed to be heard. I get that (to the extent I'm capable of getting it). They needed to come together as a community, they needed to express their pent-up frustrations, and they don't need someone coming around to tell them to be less emotional and pick the most rational course of action. Given a choice between "How Do We Achieve Lasting Change?" and "How Do We Express How This Affects Us?", they chose to focus on the second goal.

We all armchair quarterback political decisions. Just because I've questioned some of Hillary's campaign decisions doesn't make me sexist. And questioning individual choices made by BLM shouldn't make me a racist, and doesn't mean I oppose the movement as a whole. I would never go to a BLM meeting and start telling them how to do things better, and I'd never stream live to strangers about it. But I am a human being, I do have my own opinion, and this is one small part where I disagree with where the movement went.

#1304 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 7455 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:26 PM

But I am a human being, I do have my own opinion, and this is one small part where I disagree with where the movement went.

So you disagree with the direction of a minority movement against racism because it focuses on racism and does not cater to members of the majority.

In need of BW Bonecrusher's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

#1305 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*angry horse noises*

• Administrator
  • 42364 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:37 PM

I do think BLM could have presented their concerns in a more politically effective way.

I'm going to defend BLM for the same reason I'm defending this cop. He's being critiqued for what he coulda maybe done in an absolute life or death situation, and we need to back off.

BLM also gets critiqued for what the movement coulda maybe be doing in what is also absolutely a constant life or death situation, and maybe we need to back off there too.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#1306 Xaaron

Xaaron
  • Citizen
  • 2150 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:54 PM

And I totally agree with you. I could easily be wrong. I have no proof. This is not a hill I would die on. I fully appreciate that, right or wrong, I have the privilege of being largely unaffected whether BLM succeeds in their goals or not. This is just in service of the larger topic here of when should white guys weigh in on racism. And so while I think I should be ABLE to question movements like this, it should be done "privately" and non-adamantly while in search of discourse...not Streaming a monologue where you tell people "what they shoulda done is..."

#1307 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 6567 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:48 PM

A Georgia police officer said he'd arrest black people specifically to make them unable to vote, and also that he beat someone for stress relief.

#1308 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 10096 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 11:22 AM

#1309 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49690 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 June 2021 - 11:28 AM

She followed said police department's own publicly available materials in regards to being pulled over. If you feel unsafe immediately pulling over, you slow down, put on your hazards, and stop when you do feel safe and you will not be charged with attempting to flee. (Because between the speed reduction and hazards you signal you've seen the officer and are going to comply)

Going by what happened, the woman was entirely justified for not feeling safe in this situation.

#1310 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 10096 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 11:49 AM

Going by what happened, the woman was entirely justified for not feeling safe in this situation.

Especially after that donut critic nearly killed her.

#1311 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 34416 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 04:16 PM

She's currently suing the Arkansas State Police, and I hope she wins. 

"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away." - Strong Bad

#1312 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Follow your heart, let it guide you through the dark

• Supporter
  • 50739 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 15 June 2021 - 04:24 PM

It's almost like the police, whose job is to uphold the law, aren't actually trained long enough to know the law.

#1313 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 10096 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 05:08 PM

She's currently suing the Arkansas State Police, and I hope she wins.

Me too, but I also hope that Captain ACAB goes to jail.  The fact that he had the nerve to lecture her while she was still in her upended car just infuriated me even more.

#1314 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 34416 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 05:44 PM

Indeed. His "well, that's what ya get" attitude just makes me want to hurl. Not vomit, but hurl...hurl furniture. 

Edited by CORVUS, 15 June 2021 - 05:44 PM.

#1315 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 10096 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 10:08 PM

FB friend:

I know they say hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but "downsize the police" probably would have worked better than "defund the police". You can explain that damned "defund the police" slogan until you're blue in the face, but people will still think it means "fire all of the police and let anarchy reign".

#1316 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 34416 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 10:39 PM

Of course. These people believe "nuance" is a locale somewhere in Europe. If anything takes more than a sentence or two to explain, they typically aren't interested. 

Unless, you know, it's some mind-bendingly ridiculous conspiracy speculation bullhonkey which plays to their egos, in which case they eat it up like M&Ms laced with Blue Sky. 

#1317 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8703 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:23 PM

I dunno if that is hindsight so much as something people said immediately once "Defund the police" started be to bandied about and the people saying it just replied with shit like "it doesn't matter what we call it they will be against it anyways" or "Well obviously we don't actually mean to entirely defund the police who would think that"

Like when I think hindsight I think.. well not stuff people knew was a bad idea from the moment it started.

#1318 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 6567 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:37 PM

"Who would think that?" is the sane response, though.

"Defund" has meant "reduce the funding of" in every context I've every heard it used in. Never "abolish".

#1319 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44838 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:11 PM

And the republicans sold it to their base as "destroy". The fact is: one side is a master of slogans and none of the problems or their solutions can be broken down into pithy sound bites so half of the hugging problem is entirely unwilling to listen as it exceeds their attention span.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#1320 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8703 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:25 PM

"Who would think that?" is the sane response, though.

"Defund" has meant "reduce the funding of" in every context I've every heard it used in. Never "abolish".

Erm.. the word defund, as far as every dictionary I've checked, means to prevent future funding or withdraw funding. It's not much of a leap, if a leap at all, to assume defund means to end the funding of. That is basically its definition. Without funds, the natural result is abolishment.

Also there were groups flat out saying to abolish the police force, so that only made it easier to draw a natural connection between the two

Edited by Monique, 17 June 2021 - 09:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users