Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 08:56 PM)

I've seen the icon on my Roku; always assumed it was just a slightly "classier" version of those bottom-of-the-barrel trash free streaming services that offer VHS transfers of the very worst the 70s and 80s had to offer

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 08:55 PM)

isn't tubitv one of those free services?

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 08:54 PM)

And I agree with you in principal, but tubi is neither canadian (or is it? *checks* nope.) nor an internet service provider. Don't get me wrong: rogers, telus, bell, et al. are all part of the problem, but not my current or specific problem.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 08:50 PM)

I wasn't talking about Bell or Rogers as ISPs, but as media providers. Sadly, the same companies that sell us the internet also happen to be broadcasting titans that own the distribution rights for most popular content

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 06:16 PM)

While I agree with you in principal: the problem here isn't the internet service providers. Though the onus of fixing it as a systemic problem is probably on them.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 03:16 PM)

then how would honest Canadian companies like Rogers or Bell be able to overcharge you for content, or not even make the content available in your region for varied and unknowable reasons?

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 02:33 PM)

It's on the internet, but the internet is being treated like it's regional. It doesn't matter that I'm in canada, It's the internet. Stop enforcing outdated and completely arbitrary broadcast restrictions on the global telecommunication network.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 02:32 PM)

Nope, security is not my concern at all.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 April 2021 - 01:56 PM)

I mean, if you're not worried about security and just using it to access geolocked content, there are free vpns.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 11:43 AM)

To watch cartoons on a free streaming program? Might as well write my representative if I have to fix problems other people caused.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 April 2021 - 04:47 PM)

Sounds like time for a vpn.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2021 - 10:32 AM)

Aaannndddd no earthworm jim in canada. Thanks outdated broadcast standards.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 April 2021 - 04:30 AM)

Truly the crossover I never knew I needed in my life.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 April 2021 - 08:39 PM)

Dude! Tubi Tv has the Earthworm Jim cartoon! And Chuck Norris and Denver!

@  Donocropolis : (18 April 2021 - 05:51 PM)

Bianary Breakdown

@  Sabrblade : (18 April 2021 - 04:55 PM)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 April 2021 - 02:10 PM)

@  Telly : (18 April 2021 - 02:00 PM)

@  tigerhawk : (17 April 2021 - 03:52 PM)

0118999881999119725 3

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 April 2021 - 06:55 AM)

No, he's just old.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 April 2021 - 06:49 AM)

I think he might have had a stroke...

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 April 2021 - 04:55 AM)

Phrasing!

@  LioConvoy : (16 April 2021 - 11:05 PM)

NEED

@  LioConvoy : (16 April 2021 - 11:04 PM)

BEAST GENERAL

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 07:04 PM)

I dunno if to call them the worst salesperson ever or the best.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2021 - 01:33 PM)

They must not have really wanted to sell you anything.

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 09:19 AM)

This just happened to be the first time one ever gave up and walked away immediately after ringing the bell. Like, no patience at all or something.

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 09:17 AM)

Covid didn't stop salespeople from coming to my neighborhood. They are still a consistent annoyance.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 April 2021 - 08:16 AM)

Random like "Why does god allow terrible things?" or random like "You can see them too?!?"?

@  Echowarrior : (16 April 2021 - 07:36 AM)

And yet, I still have to deal with random idiots on the street asking me random questions.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2021 - 04:04 PM)

door to door salesmen (or those offering religion) certainly are one of the things lost to COVID that I've missed the least

@  Sabrblade : (15 April 2021 - 10:07 AM)

They rang the bell and were walking away before I even got to the door mere seconds later.

@  Sabrblade : (15 April 2021 - 10:06 AM)

I just got ding-dong-ditched by a salesperson.

@  tigerhawk : (14 April 2021 - 01:20 AM)

Sure he's a peeping tom but every single Scottish person does it!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 April 2021 - 08:09 PM)

Groundskeeper Wheelie say you're going to taste my rake today!

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 April 2021 - 06:57 PM)

"If elected mayor, me first act will be ta KILL THA WHOLE LOT 'A YA, AND.......I know it's on!"

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 April 2021 - 01:57 PM)

Campaign slogan? "Its Willie time!"

@  tigerhawk : (13 April 2021 - 10:15 AM)

I'd vote for Groundskeeper Wullie.

@  Donocropolis : (13 April 2021 - 07:25 AM)

A comic, yes, but we need a figure!

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 April 2021 - 06:27 AM)

No.. It's Tiberious Maximus... And there is a comic with such already. :D

@  Donocropolis : (12 April 2021 - 11:15 AM)

Yes. Color it like the Energon version of Unicron. Also, give us Fortress Tiberious.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 April 2021 - 09:49 AM)

Great. Now I want a borg cube unicron...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (12 April 2021 - 09:00 AM)

We still need Transformers x Star Trek toy.

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 April 2021 - 05:39 AM)

I saw most of them at retail at TRU, but that's not an option in the US anymore.

@  tigerhawk : (12 April 2021 - 04:21 AM)

Dibs on naming the Ark robot Arkonus.

@  Kalidor : (11 April 2021 - 09:48 PM)

The only Titan figure I ever saw at retail was Trypticon at Ollie's

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 April 2021 - 09:12 PM)

Robosen Prime has market crossover with not just the toy collectors, but robotics enthusiasts quite willing to pay that price for a product like this.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 April 2021 - 08:33 PM)

One of my two local TRUs will stock exactly ONE titan at a time. It usually ends up "clearanced" for about 20 bucks off cause no one is willing to pay for at full price OR discounted.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 April 2021 - 07:56 PM)

Most stores don't seem to want to stock Commanders or Titans, never mind Unicron.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 April 2021 - 07:55 PM)

I wonder if Unicron going to crowdfuning wasn't just a price issue but also stores not wanting to stock and transport something so huge.

Photo

Appropriate and Inappropriate Police Action Thread

1156 replies to this topic

#61 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26259 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

Today video was released from a police shooting in Chicago in which a fleeing suspect was shot in the back, resulting in his death.  There's a lot more to the story, and details are in the linked article, but while this guy did plenty to piss off the police, including crashing a stolen car ointo a police car, this was not a by-the-book operation.

Said on police officer at the scene:

Another officer who fired shots as the teen was running from his car laments that he will likely be put on restricted duty for shooting.

“F---ing desk duty for 30 days now. Motherf---er,” he says.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2739871

Given that somebody was just fatally wounded, complaining about the possibility of 30 days of desk duty seems a bit insensitive at the moment.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#62 Bainreese

Bainreese
  • Retired Staff
  • 15755 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:16 PM

This person put officer's and civilians lives in danger with that car.  Had they shot and killed him at that time I would not be concerned.  However, when he was running away he was not an immediate threat and I don't believe he should have been shot.  What the officers say when the adrenaline is pumping and they just came off of a very scary situation I can't really fault them for as long as it isn't racist or something like that.  I'm more concerned over shooting a fleeing person than what they said after they shot him.

Edited by Bainreese, 05 August 2016 - 10:16 PM.

·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>
·´¯`·.. ><((((º> ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

#63 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:45 PM

Seems to me that 30 years in prison would be more fitting than 30 days of desk duty. What utter sociopaths.
"Ideas are the jive of creative brains."
- Nobel laureate chemist Linus Pauling

#64 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:48 PM

This person put officer's and civilians lives in danger with that car.  Had they shot and killed him at that time I would not be concerned.  However, when he was running away he was not an immediate threat and I don't believe he should have been shot.  What the officers say when the adrenaline is pumping and they just came off of a very scary situation I can't really fault them for as long as it isn't racist or something like that.  I'm more concerned over shooting a fleeing person than what they said after they shot him.

If a BLM activist, shocked and horrified by hearing about a case like this one, were to refer to the police officers killed in Dallas and Baton Rouge as "pigs," would you feel similarly unconcerned?

#65 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26259 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:17 AM

This person put officer's and civilians lives in danger with that car.  Had they shot and killed him at that time I would not be concerned.

It's been widely reported that, under the circumstances, shooting into the vehicle was against department policy.

Also, "Bitch ass motherhuger!" should not be among the last words a man hears as he's cuffed and on the ground dying after being shot in the back, while he was unarmed and trying to run away from people who were already shooting at him, against their own rules.

Adrenaline or not, these are people doing a job, and there's still a level of professionalism that's expected. This is real life. Not "Lethal Weapon".

Edited by D Buster Prime, 06 August 2016 - 12:22 AM.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#66 Bainreese

Bainreese
  • Retired Staff
  • 15755 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:01 PM

When you are in what amounts to a life and death situation let's see how 'professional' and level headed you remain. This guy was a criminal and I don't care if he hears words he doesn't like. Again, the issue is they shot a guy running away from them. That's the problem.

As to department policy on shooting at a guy using a car as a battering ram, I disagree with that policy obviously. Those shots, to me, are justified. If he wasn't ramming people and simply driving away....another story and I'd agree they shouldn't have shot at the car.

Either way and whatever they said, they shouldn't have shot him.

#67 Bainreese

Bainreese
  • Retired Staff
  • 15755 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

If a BLM activist, shocked and horrified by hearing about a case like this one, were to refer to the police officers killed in Dallas and Baton Rouge as "pigs," would you feel similarly unconcerned?

Pretty much.  But why wouldn't they call the cops who committed the crimes in this case pigs instead of randomly calling out innocent officers gunned down in a completely separate incident?  Conflating two separate things there.  If this guy was shouting pigs at the officers chasing him....still don't really care.  But this guy wasn't innocent.  He was in a stolen vehicle leading police on a chase endangering the lives of civilians and cops while he was at it by using the car as a battering ram.  He was a slime ball.  But when he was running away from officers and not a larger threat anymore he didn't deserve to be gun down in the back.

#68 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:22 AM

As to department policy on shooting at a guy using a car as a battering ram, I disagree with that policy obviously. Those shots, to me, are justified.

Those aren't shots that are the "against policy" He cont shooting after the car has passed, sweeping past his partner who could be in the crossfire, and continues shooting, despite an oncomming police car also being in the field of fire, not to mention the whole residential neighborhood. There are some (possibly) justified shots, and a whole lot of not.

#69 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6637 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:32 AM

Well, the policy Bainreese is talking about is:

Soon after the July 28 shooting, Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson stripped three of the officers of their police powers after a preliminary investigation concluded they had violated department policy. On Friday, he promised that if the officers acted improperly, they would "be held accountable for their actions."

Authorities have not said specifically what policy the officers broke.

In February 2015, former Superintendent Garry McCarthy revised the department's policy on the use of deadly force to prohibit officers from "firing at or into a moving vehicle when the vehicle is the only force used against the sworn member or another person."

But the policy also says that officers "will not unreasonably endanger themselves or another person to conform to the restrictions of this directive," meaning they have the right to defend themselves if they or someone else are in imminent danger of being struck.

There was a great article I read yesterday that covered everything in detail, but I can't find it. So take this with a grain of salt as I'm going off memory, but there were two officers who opened fire. At least one of those bullets hit a cop car. Other cops believed that the thief in the Jaguar had possibly opened fire on them... because of the shots from the other officers.

I thought most of the comments were about what you'd expect from people who'd been led on high-speed chase, had this guy smash into their cars, one cop was almost run over, many were under the incorrect assumption he'd opened fire on them, and the jivestorm of the situation they knew was unfolding because this guy had been a reckless hug who stole a car.

I'm more concerned about why body camera of the officer who shot him worked before the shooting and after but was apparently not working when the fatal shots were fired.

The officer who killed O'Neal said he believed O'Neal had fired at him and he returned fire with three to five rounds.

The moment of the shooting was not recorded because the officer's body camera was not operating at the time, police said.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the officer's body camera could have been deactivated when the stolen Jaguar slammed into his squad car and set off the air bags. He also pointed out that the body camera suddenly starts working after the shooting — an indication that the officer, believing the incident was over, thought he was turning the camera off when he was actually turning it on.

"We don't believe there was any intentional misconduct with body cameras," he said.

Don't know enough about them to say, but I think many will find it too convenient even if it's the honest truth. Jesse Jackson's already calling this a murder and a cover-up.

Much has also been made of the cops not being seen giving medical aid. I do wonder what standard procedure is? Call paramedics and that's it?  They aren't medical officials but presumably they could've at least tried to stem the flow of blood from the gunshot wound?

#70 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14682 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

I'm not sure what the policy is for shooting a fleeing suspect in that police department.  Firing on the car in that manner, though, no.  You don't do that.

Interesting tidbit.  We in corrections are, obviously, trained in firearms. Our orders are #1: no warning shots.  #2: if it looks like they're trying to escape, shoot them. Even if it means in the back, even if they're pregnant.  

They ran us through a ton of scenarios. Like what if a helicopter put down in our exercise yard.  It is a violation of policy to fire on the helicopter or the person inside piloting, but we can and should open fire on any inmate running towards it as that is an escape attempt.  

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#71 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:13 PM

Interesting tidbit.  We in corrections are, obviously, trained in firearms. Our orders are #1: no warning shots.  #2: if it looks like they're trying to escape, shoot them. Even if it means in the back, even if they're pregnant.   

Wow.

That is some cold, hard slag.

I mean...I *kind of* get it. I'm sure there are inmates who would use a pregnancy like a shield preying on the officer's compassion but still...

You're basically saying the life of a getaway pilot/escape accessory is more valuable than that of an unborn child.

-SS (just.. wow.)

#72 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:28 PM

Actually, that brings up an interesting point.

Why is it acceptable to shoot a fleeing inmate in the back but not a fleeing suspect assuming both are unarmed?

I guess the answer would be that the second was denied due process but if the suspect is clearly guilty (GTA, reckless driving, evading pursuit), I'm not sure I see it as that much different. Either way, you're executing someone who may or may not have committed violent crimes.

It's not due process but isn't fleeing considered proof of consciousness of guilt in most cases?

-SS (I know... "What constitutes 'clear guilt'?"

#73 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26259 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:06 PM

but isn't fleeing considered proof of consciousness of guilt in most cases?
-SS (I know... "What constitutes 'clear guilt'?"

Fleeing, in and of itself, is not evidence of anything but fleeing.

It may be a reason to detain somebody and investigate, but it's not proof of anything other than evading the police.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#74 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:14 PM

That's hideously evil. If you shoot someone who's running away, just to keep them from escaping, that's not self-defense. It's just plain murder.

#75 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:07 PM

I agree but I don't think anyone's claiming it's self-defense but a deterrent.

Adding an extra year or so to a sentence for trying to escape isn't much of one these days. When the reward outweighs the risk, more criminals will take that chance.

They're sending the message that if you try to escape, you WILL be shot. Therefore, don't even try it if you value your life...because probably no one else there does.

It's definitely extreme but if extreme measures reduce -or even eliminate - the number of escapes...

I don't know. I'm not big on "the ends justify the means" but.

-SS (I'm not in their shoes either.)

#76 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:16 PM

Well, I'm not in favor of capital punishment under any circumstances, so I can't get behind killing people as a deterrent. But even if I were in favor of the death penalty for, say, premeditated murders, escaping from prison is not a capital crime, so there's no justification for prison guards acting as summary executioners.

#77 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14682 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

We're actually asked if we can do this, if it's something we're capable of in training.  

By attempting to escape, they are committing a felony.  It's not like a suspect running, where there is a presumption of innocence. You know an inmate is committing the crime when they're trying to escape.  

And everyone is very up front about this.  Inmates are told in RDU that if they attempt an escape lethal force is instantly authorized.   We're asked to use our best judgement, but if you're trying to pull a runner and there's no other option, we are authorized to pull the trigger. 

For the record, we've only had, I think, 3 real escape attempts.  All were caught in very early stages and no one even made it to a fence line.  

#78 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6637 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:52 PM

I don't mind that kind of deterrent. Especially if they're violent with unpleasant histories. If the choice is shoot a prisoner who's trying to escape or re-apprehend them after they escape when they have had opportunity to potentially kill or rape, well that seems pretty obvious.

#79 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26259 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:02 PM

Florida police train civilians about lethal use of force scenarios, then accidentally shoot to death a civilian role-playing...wait for it...AS THE VICTIM.

The response is "administrative leave" pending investigation.

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=41259433

Let that sink in. The officer, not only used a live round for role-play, but SHOT THE WRONG PERSON.

*smh*

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#80 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14682 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

yup.  that's a firing.  

or should be.  for officer and exercise administrator.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users