Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (04 March 2021 - 04:49 PM)

a minivan which NOW sounds like it's on it's last legs. Christ, why is everything breaking now?!?!?

@  wonko the sane? : (04 March 2021 - 02:45 PM)

He's willing, but it's our parents minivan, and I'm half the labour.

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 March 2021 - 02:34 PM)

Like anything; if they're willing to haul it away it's theirs.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 March 2021 - 12:44 PM)

And now my brother wants the old fridge, so instead of letting the delivery folk deal with it, I need to move it.

@  NovaSaber : (04 March 2021 - 11:53 AM)

I take objection to the idea that public health is "politics" just because some politicians don't listen to the experts.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:59 AM)

I was only replying to the general sentiment of the last three posts before mine.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:58 AM)

The person you replied to specifically gave the example of "limiting the amount of people in a facility".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:58 AM)

This wasn't about "lock[ing] everyone in the country down".

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:57 AM)

All I'm saying is there are lockdown and anti-lockdown people and hashing it out in the shoutbox on a toy forum is dumb.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:56 AM)

You don't have to lock everyone in the country down to mitigate risks in one population.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:56 AM)

Of course older people have it worse, but America is one of those countries where people ship their old people to homes far away from the action anyways.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:55 AM)

What ar you even trying to say, anyway? That we shouldn't complain about others increasing the danger more than necessary?

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:55 AM)

Frankly, there's a lot to say on this issue that can't be encompassed on the shoutbox and I really really don't want to have to deal with politics every single time I check the forums.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:54 AM)

To claim that this is about the people in the 20-40 range is also disingenuous.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:53 AM)

Essential workers and such are pretty fit on average which is an extra boon for them.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:51 AM)

It's not really a personal choice issue, it's a risk versus well, anything you want to do issue. Literally leaving the house results in potential exposure, mask or no. Overall, most of us who hang out here are 20-40, and our survival rate is comparable with some pretty out there statistics.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:39 AM)

Anybody who has to go out because of work or groceries or whatever can't just choose to avoid any potential disease-spreaders, for one thing.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:38 AM)

Kind of disingenuous to frame this as just a personal choice issue.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:22 AM)

This whole "I can't handle people not me having the choice to not put on masks" thing's a bit much.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 March 2021 - 09:14 AM)

Hey, Florida is one of the most infected states, and we won't even shut down. We may use masks, but restaurants, clubs, you name it, those are still wide open. Also, what's limiting the amount of people in a facility again? :p

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 March 2021 - 08:57 PM)

Oklahoma is right there, apparently. Dang bible belt. Nice people, but not the smartest cookies I've seen.

@  Hg Dragon : (03 March 2021 - 08:52 PM)

Don't worry! COME TO TEXAS WHERE OUR IDIOT GOVENOR DECALRED THE STATE 100% OPEN AND ENDED THE MASK MANDATE!!!

@  TM2-Megatron : (03 March 2021 - 04:21 PM)

Beyond just the not even being able to walk into most stores

@  wonko the sane? : (03 March 2021 - 04:21 PM)

No kidding, but right now: unless it's physically on the shelf in front of you: there's no clear idea when it'll be available. And that goes for just about everything.

@  TM2-Megatron : (03 March 2021 - 04:18 PM)

I've heard new appliances are hard to get, for some reason

@  wonko the sane? : (03 March 2021 - 04:13 PM)

And the new one we settled on is backlogged up to two months. Even better.

@  TM2-Megatron : (03 March 2021 - 11:59 AM)

I mean, it's not all bad. Disney's releasing Speed remastered on 4K

@  wonko the sane? : (03 March 2021 - 08:48 AM)

And now the fridge has died. So far 2021 has been WONDERFUL.

@  Hg Dragon : (01 March 2021 - 08:49 PM)

I'm upset I can't "Like" a shout...

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 February 2021 - 09:39 AM)

The US election? *rimshot*

@  Paladin : (28 February 2021 - 09:19 AM)

WHICH 2016 clown panic?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 February 2021 - 07:22 AM)

Didn't that come right after the 2016 clown panic? No way to make clowns not disturbing at the time, surely.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 February 2021 - 04:26 AM)

The clown guise is supposed to lure kids in, it's no good if it looks sus in one glance.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 February 2021 - 04:15 AM)

The new one tries too hard to be unsettling from the start. Curry's look is just a plain old clown, until he very much is not.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 February 2021 - 04:14 AM)

And Curry has a far more disturbing look at times than the newbie.

@  Sabrblade : (28 February 2021 - 02:22 AM)

And the original was a showcase of Tim Curry's delightfulness as an actor. 'Nuff said.

@  unluckiness : (27 February 2021 - 10:19 PM)

first one was a decent horror flick but the second was a mess plotwise and even the scares were worse

@  tigerhawk : (27 February 2021 - 04:57 PM)

Never understood the hype for the IT movies, too many floppy zombie chases, They're not in the least unsettling.

@  Maruten : (25 February 2021 - 06:00 PM)

It's better than the last one!

@  Steevy Maximus : (25 February 2021 - 11:30 AM)

The new Wizards of the Coast logo looks stupid

@  Steevy Maximus : (25 February 2021 - 11:29 AM)

It's really rather shocking watching the Investor Day presentation and seeing how much Hasbro actually owns now.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 February 2021 - 10:26 AM)

If everyone had COMMON SENSE, then things would maybe go a little better-

@  repowers : (24 February 2021 - 05:33 PM)

If everyone would just have the exact same opinions as me then we wouldn't have this problem

@  Kalidor : (24 February 2021 - 01:49 PM)

It just depends on what it is. It is preferable to take it to P&R though. But sometimes current news as it's happening is less restrictive.

@  fourteenwings : (24 February 2021 - 12:18 AM)

Huh, good point (x3)

@  ▲ndrusi : (23 February 2021 - 11:46 AM)

Yeah. 1. People treat it like Twitter. 2. There's no "take it to P&R" since there's no P&R for the Shoutbox. 3. There's similarly no way to avoid either subjects or people in the Shoutbox since there's no division and it doesn't respect the ignore function, so people end up engaging when they normally wouldn't.

@  fourteenwings : (23 February 2021 - 10:56 AM)

Is there something about the Shoutbox that just means we get politics taking over the thing at least once a week?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 February 2021 - 08:26 AM)

At least your government is willing to talk about the collapsing medicare system. In quebec, their ignoring it in favour of talking about language again! Oh, and unconstitutionally denying access to eduction.

@  Shockwave 75 : (23 February 2021 - 07:52 AM)

At least here in my home province of Ontario we have a conservative gov't who doesn't want to cuz $$$$, but the argument is that they'll end up paying in medical care anyways for those sick people so why not?

@  Shockwave 75 : (23 February 2021 - 07:51 AM)

We have paid sick leave here in Canada too, but it's not very much and not everyone has it. So we're trying to get the gov't to extend it, and give it to everyone.

Photo

Appropriate and Inappropriate Police Action Thread

1093 replies to this topic

#41 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:50 AM

Please don't take offense, I don't really trust anyone's cognitive ability, even my own, when they're close to an issue.

I'm not jumping into this, I feel like I've made my opinion known. I only wanted to highlight this sentence because it is so good and so important to me.

The first casualty of emotion is reason. I own that neither I nor anyone who feels passionately about one side of this issue can always find the correct amount of emotional distance to see things clearly, but I feel it is essential that we always try.

#42 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19478 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:05 AM

Videos like that are designed to scare the watcher into a certain way of action and thinking, considering the pandemic of police brutality I'm not comfortable with police being taught to be terrified of citizens.

I'm not saying that police shouldn't be trained to handle a situation, or warned/taught/shown video of its dangers. I'm saying any video that is being used to justify an exceptionally quick/aggressive response to someone who's been pulled over may not be the one we should use.

You're saying that you sympathize with the officer in question because of these videos, when his actions have been called inappropriate by his own commanding officer. I'm not sure why I should believe these videos aren't problematic if they apparently show officers to respond in a way that the Chief of Police say is an example of how not to react.

#43 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14673 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:49 AM

Had I slammed an inmate down like that I'd be facing a Serious Incident Review Board.  

I'm not going to 'monday morning quarterback' the guy, but I would have done it differently.  

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#44 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14673 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

I'd like to talk for a just a moment about my job.  Provide a little perspective, get some things off my chest.

We had another fight in Pod 1B last night.  Thats our biggest pod in our maximum security facility.  1 officer, a sgt, is in charge.  You have about 50 to 60 inmates in there. 

Last night one particular inmate, Childs, attacked another.   When our officer went to break up the fight this inmate grabbed his radio and beat him over the head with it.  Our bubble officer, who controls the doors and is supposed to direct traffic in ICH didn't see it.  Didn't make a callout.  I was working segregation and our mental health ward, pod 4.  I was 20 feet away.  I didn't see it.  He was in there by himself for a sold 45 seconds because no one saw what was really happening.   Our pod 1A officer actually came over when he heard screaming and made the call of 'officer down'.  

This is the 5th or 6th fight in 1B in the last month.  The first big fight I was injured when an inmate jumped on my back while I was dealing with another one. My backup was also hurt and had to be on light duty for a week due to injuries.  The next big fight I got hurt again, but in a way that didn't show so I didn't talk about it.  The third fight was one of our more physical inmates.  Her girlfriend threw hot coffee all over her so she beat the shit out of her.  It took all our responders to get the pods locked down. And so on and so forth.

While placing the inmate who struck the officer in segregation, I had to go to another pod to retrieve an important item.  Trying to get back to the door where the inmate and the officers were waiting required me to go through a door controlled by the bubble officer.  I spent 3 minutes asking for the door to be opened on the radio.  I waved my hands to get attention. None of that worked so I said, 'hug it', and I yelled for the door.  

My captain heard me.  I was IMMEDIATELY pulled into an office and got my ass reamed.  Up one side and down the other.  For yelling loudly to get a door opened. So we could finally secure an inmate who injured an officer.

That's the standard I live with at work.  Where we take an individual who deliberately hurt an officer and put her in SEG, but you  can't yell when the door doesn't open.  

It bothers me when I see officers just treating the public like absolute shit.  Like this takedown.  Like the officers who fired on an autistic kid.  I don't understand it.  I don't get why they're allowed to do things like that.  How they get away with that shit.   I don't know what they're thinking.  

sorry.   it's been a real bad month at work and i'm just tired.  you try to do a good job.  you try to help people.  things just don't work out sometimes.  

#45 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14673 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:46 AM

a follow up to my previous post.  

last night we had 2 more fights.  2 officers taken to the hospital.  I was working the bubble.  People damn well heard we needed help.  

we were stretched so thin we had to call in our SORT team, basically SWAT for prisons.   Just to have the people on the ground to get the job done.  Long night.  

in case you are all interested in seeing one of the many people who contributed to the mess of last night, here's one of the fighters who then attacked an officer.

https://kdocreposito...docNumber=82320

#46 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6630 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:30 AM

Don't know if this quite fits, but I'll just slip this in here.

I guess this is a thing now? Employees at restaurants refusing service to police?

Link

BRENHAM, TEXAS - The famous golden arches serve as big beacons that hundreds of hungry customers are drawn to everyday.

But when an off-duty Brenham police officer tried to eat at the location off Highway 290 with his two kids, an employee denied him service, simply because he's an officer.

"Nobody deserves to be treated like that," said Brenham Police Chief Craig Goodman.

Another worker ultimately did the right thing and served the officer and his family, but the incident started spreading on social media.

"We know that these problems exist everywhere, but we did not expect that here," said Goodman.

McDonald's customers weren't happy, either.

"It's beyond disrespectful, it's anti-American," said Gloria.

"The same lady that refused the officer, if someone breaks into her house, who is she going to call?" HC Troxler said.

The officer brought the incident up to his captain. They contacted McDonald's and the restaurant didn't waste much time.

"They, much like a police organization, looked at what took place, and after gathering the information, they came to the right decision and that employee no longer works for their business," said Goodman.

Goodman says the female worker's son was already in custody and facing serious charges. He believes that may be part of the fuel that sparked her negative feelings towards police.

"He's disappointed in what happened, mainly because his kids were with him," said Goodman.

The officer at the center of it all is opting to not be identified, but Goodman says he's one of the department’s best and a former Marine. He's hoping what happened at the iconic fast food restaurant can teach bigger lessons.

Goodman is urging the community to accept McDonald's apology, move forward and continue supporting a local restaurant that has always backed the blue.

"We're not judging McDonalds and their employees based on the action of this one worker," said Goodman. "Just like we ask the community and the country not judge our police officers because other officers make bad decisions."

Link

A cook at a restaurant in Virginia refused to serve a police officer in uniform Monday night, a police union says.

An officer in the Alexandria Police Department stopped by Noodles & Company on Duke Street in Alexandria for dinner, Alexandria Committee of Police Vice President Peter Feltham said.

As she stood in line, a cook exited the kitchen, approached the cashier and pointed at the officer, Feltham said he was told.

"You’re going to have to take me off the line, I ain’t serving that," the cook allegedly said.

“The officer realized what was happening and rather than making an incident of it, the officer just left the business,” Feltham said.

Alexandria Police Chief Earl Cook and a representative of the Alexandria Police Union met with restaurant management Tuesday.

“These are very difficult times right now in our relations with everyone, and to have one of my officers treated in that manner unnecessarily, your first response is anger,” Cook said. “Then you calm down a bit and say, let’s just find out what happened.”

Noodles & Company told News4 the company does not “tolerate any form of discrimination.” The restaurant said managers reached out to the officer but have not spoken with her yet.

The restaurant said it is interviewing the employees allegedly involved.

“We will continue to look into the situation and will take the appropriate actions at the conclusion of this review,” Noodles & Company said in a statement.

The police union said the restaurant is already taking steps to amend the matter, and has "agreed to post signs on their door that they support blue lives,” Feltham said.

Beyond stupid on a number of levels and I can't feel any sympathy for these people getting fired.

#47 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

There was a case with a Taco Bell employee as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2...taco-bell-trnd/

-SS (you just can't do that unless you're the owner.)

#48 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26253 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:33 AM

IIRC, the same thing hapoened at a gas station a week or two ago.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#49 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:50 AM

Seems to me like a pretty reasonable form of nonviolent protest.
"Ideas are the jive of creative brains."
- Nobel laureate chemist Linus Pauling

#50 Whirl

Whirl

hobgoblins, hobgoblins, what do ya do with those hobgoblins?

• Citizen
  • 25251 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

Well, like Shadowmask said, they aren't really doing anything wrong, it is basically just protesting. I'm on the worker's side here.

Avatar pictures by the wonderful nutcaseart 

D&D has to report to shareholders. Pathfinder only has to impress its neckbeards.

#51 Bainreese

Bainreese
  • Retired Staff
  • 15755 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

I think I'm going to protest violence committed by black people by refusing to serve a black person.

I think I'll refuse to serve a gay person because I am protesting the governments decision on gay marriage.  

Oh wait....

Edited by Bainreese, 28 July 2016 - 12:33 PM.

·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>
·´¯`·.. ><((((º> ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

#52 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 19037 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:02 PM

I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, this seems like the natural result of ongoing police brutality and the failure of any meaningful resolve on it.  The public is beginning to resent the police in general and it's starting to seep into everyday interaction.

On the other hand, this isn't right.  These people are employees, right?  They don't really have the right to deny anyone service for any reason outside of them being actively abused and this is going to cause a lot of trouble before it makes anything better.

On the inexplicable and slightly concerning third hand, if the police departments are smart, they'll take a hint that things are not well in the public and they ought to seek out better results soon, or there could be far worse coming.  Those good officers need to start stepping up, because the public is getting less and less able to tell which is which.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 28 July 2016 - 02:11 PM.

nzo8WYb.png

#53 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:04 PM

I think I'm going to protest violence committed by black people by refusing to serve a black person.

I think I'll refuse to serve a gay person because I am protesting the governments decision on gay marriage.  

Oh wait....
That analogy doesn't work. Ethnicity and sexual orientation aren't things that a person chooses. If you become a cop, however, you're choosing to join a profession notable for its members' ability to kill people with minimal legal accountability. If you want to be a good cop, and for people to think of you as one, you should loudly and publicly condemn those in your profession who murder, and the union bosses who enable them. Otherwise, you can expect that some people will view your silence as complicity, and not want to do business with you.

#54 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:22 PM

Sure.

As long as you don't mind getting fired over it.

Unless your employers agree with you, you can't reasonably expect to keep your job after refusing to serve a customer as a form of protest.

-SS (that's the only reason Kim Davis still has a job.)

#55 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Citizen
  • 23140 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:16 PM

I don't think this is really an effective means of protest.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#56 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

And we're back to meh

• Administrator
  • 35301 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:34 PM

Not the type I would be recommending because it's too high risk with too little reward. A more effective form of civil disobedience would be serving them but replacing "have a nice day" or whatever their normal goodbye is with "Black Lives Matter". If the cop tries to make a big stink out of that or get the worker in trouble they'd have more cushion (it isn't like they refused service or told them to hug off) and the officer would come off looking bad. And I assume the good ones would just say "I agree, try to live up to that everyday" and be on their way.

#57 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:49 PM

Generally speaking, it's best to keep personal politics out of the workplace. Your job is not intended to be a platform for your views.

-SS (Again, see Kim Davis.)

#58 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:12 PM

I don't think this is really an effective means of protest.

Not as it stands, no. But if this were an organized movement of fast-food workers, it could make some waves.

#59 Bainreese

Bainreese
  • Retired Staff
  • 15755 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:17 PM

Oh wait....
That analogy doesn't work. Ethnicity and sexual orientation aren't things that a person chooses. If you become a cop, however, you're choosing to join a profession notable for its members' ability to kill people with minimal legal accountability. If you want to be a good cop, and for people to think of you as one, you should loudly and publicly condemn those in your profession who murder, and the union bosses who enable them. Otherwise, you can expect that some people will view your silence as complicity, and not want to do business with you.

Analogy is a higher form of cognitive reasoning and the similarity you miss is not one of similarity among the recipients but similarity in the reasoning of the one refusing service.  This one should help make that a little more clear.  Let's refuse a Muslim from entering this country because of how many Muslims have committed acts of terrorism against us.  Oh....wait....  that's wrong you say?  Certainly not.  It's a form of protest.  Totally okay because these people CHOOSE to be Muslim.  Wait what?  Still wrong?  Not by your reasoning.

And while I'm at it, there are a whole heck of a lot of cops who joined the police force for all kinds of reasons other than 'they have the ability to kill people with minimal legal accountability'.  You do realize that most of these people go out each and every day with the possibility of being injured or killed just because of their line of work?  Contrary to your reasoning and thought processes, police across this country are not some monolithic organization or being.  The cops in the reports above, as far as we can tell, have no relation whatsoever to the people who have been in the news wearing a badge while racist.  These were otherwise innocent officers and you have no idea how vocal they are or are not regarding the police brutality of others.  You've judged them worthy of mistreatment simply for wearing a badge.  Just like others would judge someone worthy of mistreatment for being Black, Gay, or Muslim. It is constipated thinking at best...and outright prejudice in most cases.

Edited by Bainreese, 28 July 2016 - 11:19 PM.

·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>
·´¯`·.. ><((((º> ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

#60 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:25 AM

Another girl claiming "sovereign citizenship" that police were extra-polite with. Only this one was killed after threatening police with a shotgun when they came to serve a bench warrant on her.

https://m.youtube.co...eature=youtu.be

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=QKh2wbw_GWM

-SS (I agree with everything he says in the second video.)

Edited by StarSaber, 04 August 2016 - 04:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users