Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (04 March 2021 - 04:49 PM)

a minivan which NOW sounds like it's on it's last legs. Christ, why is everything breaking now?!?!?

@  wonko the sane? : (04 March 2021 - 02:45 PM)

He's willing, but it's our parents minivan, and I'm half the labour.

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 March 2021 - 02:34 PM)

Like anything; if they're willing to haul it away it's theirs.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 March 2021 - 12:44 PM)

And now my brother wants the old fridge, so instead of letting the delivery folk deal with it, I need to move it.

@  NovaSaber : (04 March 2021 - 11:53 AM)

I take objection to the idea that public health is "politics" just because some politicians don't listen to the experts.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:59 AM)

I was only replying to the general sentiment of the last three posts before mine.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:58 AM)

The person you replied to specifically gave the example of "limiting the amount of people in a facility".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:58 AM)

This wasn't about "lock[ing] everyone in the country down".

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:57 AM)

All I'm saying is there are lockdown and anti-lockdown people and hashing it out in the shoutbox on a toy forum is dumb.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:56 AM)

You don't have to lock everyone in the country down to mitigate risks in one population.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:56 AM)

Of course older people have it worse, but America is one of those countries where people ship their old people to homes far away from the action anyways.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:55 AM)

What ar you even trying to say, anyway? That we shouldn't complain about others increasing the danger more than necessary?

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:55 AM)

Frankly, there's a lot to say on this issue that can't be encompassed on the shoutbox and I really really don't want to have to deal with politics every single time I check the forums.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:54 AM)

To claim that this is about the people in the 20-40 range is also disingenuous.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:53 AM)

Essential workers and such are pretty fit on average which is an extra boon for them.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:51 AM)

It's not really a personal choice issue, it's a risk versus well, anything you want to do issue. Literally leaving the house results in potential exposure, mask or no. Overall, most of us who hang out here are 20-40, and our survival rate is comparable with some pretty out there statistics.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:39 AM)

Anybody who has to go out because of work or groceries or whatever can't just choose to avoid any potential disease-spreaders, for one thing.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (04 March 2021 - 10:38 AM)

Kind of disingenuous to frame this as just a personal choice issue.

@  fourteenwings : (04 March 2021 - 10:22 AM)

This whole "I can't handle people not me having the choice to not put on masks" thing's a bit much.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 March 2021 - 09:14 AM)

Hey, Florida is one of the most infected states, and we won't even shut down. We may use masks, but restaurants, clubs, you name it, those are still wide open. Also, what's limiting the amount of people in a facility again? :p

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 March 2021 - 08:57 PM)

Oklahoma is right there, apparently. Dang bible belt. Nice people, but not the smartest cookies I've seen.

@  Hg Dragon : (03 March 2021 - 08:52 PM)

Don't worry! COME TO TEXAS WHERE OUR IDIOT GOVENOR DECALRED THE STATE 100% OPEN AND ENDED THE MASK MANDATE!!!

@  TM2-Megatron : (03 March 2021 - 04:21 PM)

Beyond just the not even being able to walk into most stores

@  wonko the sane? : (03 March 2021 - 04:21 PM)

No kidding, but right now: unless it's physically on the shelf in front of you: there's no clear idea when it'll be available. And that goes for just about everything.

@  TM2-Megatron : (03 March 2021 - 04:18 PM)

I've heard new appliances are hard to get, for some reason

@  wonko the sane? : (03 March 2021 - 04:13 PM)

And the new one we settled on is backlogged up to two months. Even better.

@  TM2-Megatron : (03 March 2021 - 11:59 AM)

I mean, it's not all bad. Disney's releasing Speed remastered on 4K

@  wonko the sane? : (03 March 2021 - 08:48 AM)

And now the fridge has died. So far 2021 has been WONDERFUL.

@  Hg Dragon : (01 March 2021 - 08:49 PM)

I'm upset I can't "Like" a shout...

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 February 2021 - 09:39 AM)

The US election? *rimshot*

@  Paladin : (28 February 2021 - 09:19 AM)

WHICH 2016 clown panic?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 February 2021 - 07:22 AM)

Didn't that come right after the 2016 clown panic? No way to make clowns not disturbing at the time, surely.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 February 2021 - 04:26 AM)

The clown guise is supposed to lure kids in, it's no good if it looks sus in one glance.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 February 2021 - 04:15 AM)

The new one tries too hard to be unsettling from the start. Curry's look is just a plain old clown, until he very much is not.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 February 2021 - 04:14 AM)

And Curry has a far more disturbing look at times than the newbie.

@  Sabrblade : (28 February 2021 - 02:22 AM)

And the original was a showcase of Tim Curry's delightfulness as an actor. 'Nuff said.

@  unluckiness : (27 February 2021 - 10:19 PM)

first one was a decent horror flick but the second was a mess plotwise and even the scares were worse

@  tigerhawk : (27 February 2021 - 04:57 PM)

Never understood the hype for the IT movies, too many floppy zombie chases, They're not in the least unsettling.

@  Maruten : (25 February 2021 - 06:00 PM)

It's better than the last one!

@  Steevy Maximus : (25 February 2021 - 11:30 AM)

The new Wizards of the Coast logo looks stupid

@  Steevy Maximus : (25 February 2021 - 11:29 AM)

It's really rather shocking watching the Investor Day presentation and seeing how much Hasbro actually owns now.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 February 2021 - 10:26 AM)

If everyone had COMMON SENSE, then things would maybe go a little better-

@  repowers : (24 February 2021 - 05:33 PM)

If everyone would just have the exact same opinions as me then we wouldn't have this problem

@  Kalidor : (24 February 2021 - 01:49 PM)

It just depends on what it is. It is preferable to take it to P&R though. But sometimes current news as it's happening is less restrictive.

@  fourteenwings : (24 February 2021 - 12:18 AM)

Huh, good point (x3)

@  ▲ndrusi : (23 February 2021 - 11:46 AM)

Yeah. 1. People treat it like Twitter. 2. There's no "take it to P&R" since there's no P&R for the Shoutbox. 3. There's similarly no way to avoid either subjects or people in the Shoutbox since there's no division and it doesn't respect the ignore function, so people end up engaging when they normally wouldn't.

@  fourteenwings : (23 February 2021 - 10:56 AM)

Is there something about the Shoutbox that just means we get politics taking over the thing at least once a week?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 February 2021 - 08:26 AM)

At least your government is willing to talk about the collapsing medicare system. In quebec, their ignoring it in favour of talking about language again! Oh, and unconstitutionally denying access to eduction.

@  Shockwave 75 : (23 February 2021 - 07:52 AM)

At least here in my home province of Ontario we have a conservative gov't who doesn't want to cuz $$$$, but the argument is that they'll end up paying in medical care anyways for those sick people so why not?

@  Shockwave 75 : (23 February 2021 - 07:51 AM)

We have paid sick leave here in Canada too, but it's not very much and not everyone has it. So we're trying to get the gov't to extend it, and give it to everyone.

Photo

Appropriate and Inappropriate Police Action Thread

1093 replies to this topic

#1 Bainreese

Bainreese
  • Retired Staff
  • 15755 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:06 PM

We have a lot of different threads on police action.  I thought it might be a good idea to consolidate it all instead of having a new thread to talk about each new video that surfaces.  So here is something to start this off.

Forgive me as sometimes imbedding doesn't go so well for me.

https://www.facebook...90526257707093/

So there are a couple of things with this video.

#1.  The police action during her arrest was understandable.  Why?  When being pulled over you never get out of the car.  It is considered an aggressive and threatening action for the officer.  He keeps his calm and simply asks her to get back in the car and close the car door.  She was pulled over for speeding.  This is a request for HIS safety.  A person in the car is less likely to run and/or put the officers life in danger.  She refuses.  He then attempt to put her in cuffs and she refuses.  You can see her fighting against him.  If an officer wants to put you in cuffs to avoid flight and/or possible hostility(It doesn't matter whether you are white black female male skinny fat, you can threaten that officers life....then you comply.  This was a simple speeding ticket until she started refusing to do as the officer asked.  Every action he took was completely within the code of conduct of an officer.

#2.  His comments in the car were completely inappropriate, wrong, and racist.  They unfortunately color the entire exchange and the entire video because of it.  And because of his remarks I think he should be fired.  Because you don't put someone who has that kind of viewpoint in a position of responsibility to protect people when half the people he's meant to protect he feels are going to be more violent toward him.

Edited by Bainreese, 22 July 2016 - 01:07 PM.

·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>
·´¯`·.. ><((((º> ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

#2 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

His comments were inappropriate but shouldn't cost him his career. From his experience, he may have believed his statement to be statistically true.

No one was injured. I think sensitivity training would probably suffice.

The next time? Suspension and even more sensitivity classes.

-SS (Third time? He's either gone or reassigned to Evidence Clerk.)

#3 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:02 PM

Here's an interesting cop-stop.

https://m.facebook.c...if&notif_t=like

-SS (someone's living in 1781..)

#4 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19478 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:07 PM

His comments were inappropriate but shouldn't cost him his career.

His comments indicate a racist streak, or willingness to espouse/believe racist ideals. He can have any other career her wants, but shouldn't have one where he has to interact with various minorities as a person of authority, and especially not an armed person of authority. 

Fire him out of a cannon.

From his experience, he may have believed his statement to be statistically true.

I'm sure most racists believe what they say, yes.

#5 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:17 PM

So no second chances for a cop who made rather questionable remarks but didn't shoot anyone?

You don't think sensitivity training would make a difference? Show him that his fears are unfounded and give him a chance for change? He's completely incorrigible and should be tossed without hesitation?

See, I can't agree with that. It's one thing to fire a cop for using excessive force and even THEN they usually get a mark on their record and a second chance. He didn't even use a racial slur. He made a comment based on either personal experience or facts he believed to be true. The comment could certainly be seen as racist but that doesn't mean the person making it is. If it becomes a recurring pattern of behavior, sure. Then you might be able to make that assumption.

I just don't think this is deserving of "one strike, you're out". I'll give him credit for answering an honest question with an honest answer.

-SS (he should think before he speaks though.)

#6 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19478 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:27 PM

A pattern of behavior in a situation like this is potentially going to get an innocent person killed.

I said this to a Trump supporter earlier who claimed I shouldn't be afraid of the RNC's anti-homosexual platform since they won't /really/ get enacted, and I'll say it now.

It's much easier to call the gun fake when you're not the one being aimed at. I'm not willing to take that risk with the lives of my fellow citizens.

#7 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:02 PM

I agree.

One time does not a pattern make however.

You're saying you don't want to take the risk before it's reached that stage. You're just pre-judging someone based on a single instance and assuming a pattern will emerge given enough time so it's best for everyone to just fire them over something they may or may not do in the future...without giving them the opportunity to learn from their mistake and correct their behavior.

-SS (Zero tolerance=zero reform)

#8 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:08 PM

There should be zero tolerance, no warnings, immediate firing for racist cops. The fact that, as things stand, excessive force doesn't lead to immediate firing is disgusting. Excessive force should lead to immediate firing and immediate incarceration: no second chances. Also, police officers fired from one department should be barred from joining another law enforcement agency. Remember, Tamir Rice's murderer was hired by the Cleveland PD after he was fired from the suburban Independence, OH force. It's like the Catholic Church shuffling around pederast priests.
"Ideas are the jive of creative brains."
- Nobel laureate chemist Linus Pauling

#9 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19478 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:12 PM

And next time it'll be "He's a good guy, it's just a mistake" again and again and again until eventually he kills someone. That's the real pattern. People making continued excuses for bigotry and violence.

This is a man with a gun and the authority to stop anyone he chooses, backed up by police unions and brotherhoods who are willing to cover for, as history has shown, damn near any action he commits. You're damn right I want zero tolerance for racists in that situation. 

#10 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

And we're back to meh

• Administrator
  • 35301 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:12 PM

If we were talking about being demoted to a desk job that might be slightly different. Since we're talking about a job where you get to carry a gun and fire it without approval it kind of has to be one strike and you're racist.

I get the sentiment, I want to be for some can't we all get along dream where a racist cop goes through a year long reeducation and then goes back to their job not to kill anyone. But as is we know 9 times out of 10 that "sensitivity training" would be watching a 30 minute Youtube video and signing a promise not to do it again. And then nothing changes. And since we're being told to go fuck ourselves asking for accountability on the whole murdering people epidemic I'm in no hurry to hand cops more leeway or more rope. At some point you have to stop giving rope if you realize the other person isn't getting enough to hang themselves but is hanging everyone who looks at them funny.

#11 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:14 PM

Really? No comments on the "good" cop link I posted above with the cray-cray passenger citing the Articles of Confederation and claiming that she's a "Free Inhabitant" - not a U.S. citizen - so our laws don't apply to her?

That cop deserves a medal for exhibiting inhuman patience and calmness with that "person".

-SS (it was from March but I never saw it referenced before today.)

#12 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19478 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:15 PM

I'm not in the habit of handing out medals for doing your job and not shooting people. I don't get a raise everytime I remember to clock in on time, you don't get a round of applause each time you realize "No. I shouldn't unload a clip into this person." 

Edited by Ms Virion, 22 July 2016 - 09:16 PM.

#13 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 19037 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, sorry, not being a jerk doesn't get a reward.

nzo8WYb.png

#14 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

And we're back to meh

• Administrator
  • 35301 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:17 PM

Hmm, I'm sorry, is my Allspark experience dropping posts? I'm missing all these instances where anyone said that cops never encounter unreasonable idiots in their line of duty. That happens all the time. The problem is that cops seem to only unjustly murder the black drivers. All those idiot white ones, no matter how drunk they are or how much they swear they're sober and going to sue you and so on, get the courtesy of going to jail alive.

#15 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:37 PM

"And next time it'll be "He's a good guy, it's just a mistake" again and again and again until eventually he kills someone."

You don't know that there will be a next time. You're making an assumption based on a single instance and an even bigger one that "eventually" he'll kill someone when AFAIK there's absolutely zero evidence of that. You just don't want to give anyone the benefit of the doubt because they "might" kill some innocent person someday based on an unsupportive comment. You might as well fire cops who draw their weapons but never fire them based on that logic.

"But as is we know 9 times out of 10 that "sensitivity training" would be watching a 30 minute Youtube video and signing a promise not to do it again"

Is that all it consists of??
I thought it was much more intensive than that. "Law & Order" and "Blue Bloods" both portrayed it as something lasting weeks or even months and quite effective in most cases.

I know it's television but both shows use professional consultants to keep procedures as accurate as possible.

-SS (maybe NYPD is just a better outfit than most.)

#16 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19478 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:39 PM

-SS (maybe NYPD is just a better outfit than most.)

mXyupD1.gif

#17 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

And we're back to meh

• Administrator
  • 35301 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:47 PM

The fact that Killer Mike says he can walk the streets of Atlanta and not fear dying doesn't mean the same can be said about Macon.

#18 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:56 PM

I'm not in the habit of handing out medals for doing your job and not shooting people. I don't get a raise everytime I remember to clock in on time, you don't get a round of applause each time you realize "No. I shouldn't unload a clip into this person." 

I wasn't praising that. Naturally, he shouldn't shoot in this situation. I was complimenting his incredible calmness and patience with a rather unruly and uncooperative suspect who seemed to be going out of her way to harass the officer while filming him.

Of course, I don't expect a cop in that situation to get violent or eescalate things but I wouldn't have objected if he raised his voice or arrested her for noncompliance the first time.

Instead, he rationally and calmly explained to her what was happening, why she and the driver were being detained, what she could and could not do, why her assertions were wrong, and gave her multiple warnings (which she ignored) before finally arresting her.

He even told her she could continue to record him but not to point anything at him. All fair and reasonable requests and behaviors on his part even though she could've been high as far as he knew. She certainly acted as if she might be.

I think he did more than "just his job". He was incredibly cool throughout the entire encounter and didn't lose his temper. In situations like this, that's a rare thing indeed.

We need more cops like him.

-SS (most cops would've cuffed her after the first instance of obstruction and called it a day.)

#19 M Virion

M Virion

Absurd Behavior

• Retired Staff
  • 19478 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:59 PM

Sorry, but what he did is what I expect a police officer to to do. That it's rare is a testament to how badly our police forces need fixed.

Plus, lets be honest, he was probably too busy trying not to bust a gut laughing. Sovereign Citizens are hilariously clueless.

Edited by Ms Virion, 22 July 2016 - 10:00 PM.

#20 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:02 PM

Hmm, I'm sorry, is my Allspark experience dropping posts? I'm missing all these instances where anyone said that cops never encounter unreasonable idiots in their line of duty. That happens all the time.

I'm sorry. I was under the impression that this thread was for "appropriate police action videos" as well and not just for stories about murdering cops.

I thought the video was humorous and assumed others might as well.

-SS (I guess I misread the thread title. My bad.)

Edited by StarSaber, 22 July 2016 - 10:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users