Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

Not necessarily. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

@  Trpodeca : (17 May 2019 - 11:09 PM)

I voted. Boy there are a worrying amount of parties which sound like fascists.

@  Pennpenn : (17 May 2019 - 06:55 PM)

For those in Australia, it is a federal election today. Go Vote! It's Mandatory!

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 May 2019 - 04:19 PM)

Humor? I 'ardly know 'or!

Photo
- - - - -

Finding Dory

Pixar Disney Dory Nemo Animation Film

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10579 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:43 AM

Just got back from seeing the late show (so as to avoid the screaming hordes of horrible children), and I'm happy to be able to say that I found it quite good; a hell of a lot better than any of the trailers I saw led me to believe.

I should preface my comments by mentioning that despite the hype I remember for it back in the day, Finding Nemo was never really my favourite Pixar film.  At the time it came out, I placed it above A Bug's Life, but below Pixar's other efforts.  As the releases rolled on, up until Toy Story 3, all but Cars impressed me more than Nemo.  Then we entered the post-TS3 era, and the chinks in Pixar's previously nigh-impervious armor started to show.  Before, it seemed like they could do little wrong (not unlike Marvel Studios today), and even their "worst" efforts were still light-years ahead of the competition.  But after TS3, we got a sequel and a prequel that didn't really live up to the originals (also, not The Incredibles sequel that so many wanted), a movie that felt more like a Disney Princess film than something from Pixar, and the truly bizarre Good Dinosaur, which really didn't resonate with me at all, personally.  Inside Out seemed the closest to capturing that traditional Pixar spirit, and it surely had a unique way of tackling emotional issues and depression in a children's film, but for whatever reason I never really fell in love with its characters in the way I have most of Pixar's earlier films.  Inside Out also lacked (for me, anwyay) that moment that most Pixar films seem to have where you really have to work to hold back a few manly tears, which I think is a moment most people secretly enjoy.  WALL-E remains my favourite Pixar film to this day, and probably for the foreseeable future.

Finding Dory definitely feels like a true return to the original Pixar spirit.  It's not Toy Story sequel good (but let's face it, how many sequels improve on the original?), but it still is very good, and fans of the original, or just fans of good animated films with touching stories won't be disappointed.  Despite the 13 year gap in production between the two, it effortlessly recaptures the tone and world of the original without feeling stale.  I never even really liked Dory all that much while watching original film (relative to the comedic foils in Pixar's previous films, anyway), but Finding Dory really lives up to its title, and we get to learn more about who Dory is (at the same time she does).  One word of caution, though - this movie obviously contains flashbacks of Dory's childhood, and young Dory is almost painfully sweet and adorable... I actually felt mild physical pain at some points from the feelings her relationship with her parents dredged up in my cold, dead heart.  I don't recall seeing any images of young Dory in the trailers, so maybe it's something Pixar wanted to save for the film.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend this one.  If this resonates with audiences as much as I recall the original Finding Nemo did, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Disney has its third (or fourth, since The Jungle Book is now over $910 million and has yet to open to open in Japan) billion-dollar movie this year.  Jeez... time to buy more Disney stock.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 18 June 2016 - 12:44 AM.

#2 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:33 AM

The newspaper I'm with periodically gets movie passes from the local theater as part of their payment for running the showtimes and other advertisements. I'm given a number of these each month so that I can go see the film of the week for my review, meaning that no money has to change hands either way. And I usually manage to pick the screening with the least number of people (there have been a few screenings where I was the only one in there), so it's not like I'm taking a seat away from anyone. 

Well, that all came to an end starting with this movie. 

Disney's been forcing theaters to sign contracts stating that no movie passes or the like are to be accepted for the first two weeks of a film's release. I found that out the hard way when I went to make the morning screening, meaning that I'm now out an hour's pay until I can get the finance guy to reimburse me for the cost of my ticket. 

The rest of the actual experience was downhill from there. 

#3 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2987 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

Took the kids to a double feature at the drive in with this and Jungle Book last night. Dory was first and it was cute. There were some genuine laugh out loud moments and somehow I missed every trailer for this so I was genuinely surprised throughout.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#4 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14573 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

Disney's been forcing theaters to sign contracts stating that no movie passes or the like are to be accepted for the first two weeks of a film's release. I found that out the hard way when I went to make the morning screening, meaning that I'm now out an hour's pay until I can get the finance guy to reimburse me for the cost of my ticket. 

That's been an industry standard for almost 15 years now.

Yep.

#5 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

That's been an industry standard for almost 15 years now.

We're a small publication, and the theater is a small chain. It makes sense for us to continue the arrangement we have, and so Disney pushing for this just threw a royal spanner in the works. 

As a result, this is going to have to be the last Disney film I review for a while; otherwise, we'd be getting nickle'd and dime'd each week. 

And as for the film itself goes,

Spoiler

#6 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6102 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:41 PM

...what? Hank didn't lose his arm at the marine institute (I'm not going to spoiler-protect that, because it's not a dang spoiler). He was there BECAUSE he had lost an arm. In the ocean. Beforehand.

Though regardless, I can't think of too many prestigious national institutes that get "raided by the authorities" if an animal in their care is accidentally injured. What would they even be doing in the raid? Securing tank lids?

ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#7 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10579 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:48 PM

Besides, if the authorities were going to commit the resources and whatnot to showing up, I think they'd be a lot more interested in the number of head injuries that Destiny likely suffered in her time there than an Octopus with a missing tentacle.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 18 June 2016 - 11:48 PM.

#8 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38737 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:07 AM

136 million dollar opening weekend! Wow!

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#9 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25105 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:49 PM

Welp theres another sensitive reef fish about to get harvested into endangerment
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#10 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8214 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:17 PM

Gods, little Dory is super precious cute.

Not as good as Finding Nemo. The adventure was actually smaller this time.

What the hell is up with the little petting aquarium thing? Aren't people not suppose to handle starfish like that? Why is the rescue place letting that happen?

Probably shouldn't think in human terms but how old is Dory suppose to be? 30's? Her parents would be in their 50s to 60s? I actually thought the Finding Nemo ending pertained to Dory being Marlin sort of wife replacement of sorts. Weird with in laws around, haha.

I LOVE Hank! Such mouth less awesome!

Edit - the echolocation was overpowered, haha.

The otters helping all of a sudden was eeeeh.

Edited by Fero McPigletron, 26 June 2016 - 05:34 PM.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#11 ZacDeath

ZacDeath

I am not dead, I'm overwintering.

• Citizen
  • 1049 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:54 AM

What bothers me with this film is the biological innacurracy. I felt the first film writers had done research on where sea creatures live, gow they move, what their havits are, but in this one, they just wrote a story, biology be damned. Because Hank would have been able to go through the pipes to help Dory.
WWOPD?

#12 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:45 AM

I loved the first movie, but could not find anyone to accompany me to this one, most of my friends considering this too much of a kid's movie - and I don't like sitting alone in the cinemas. So I'll wait until it's up in a good format on Kisscartoons.

#13 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8214 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:23 AM

What bothers me with this film is the biological innacurracy. I felt the first film writers had done research on where sea creatures live, gow they move, what their havits are, but in this one, they just wrote a story, biology be damned. Because Hank would have been able to go through the pipes to help Dory.

Which part? As far as I can recall, Hank was only around when Dory got washed into the pipes when the humans were gunning after him. The first time Dory went in the pipes, Hank wasn't around and the first time Dory was shown the pipes, she was with Destiny.

I love how Hank slides and tentacles his way around but can octopuses do that? Survive out of water for that long? I got no idea. I know about he color changing stuff, though I'm sure they turned up Hank's ability up to impossibly awesome levels.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#14 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22267 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:20 PM

Hank is maybe a little more 'solid' than an octopus would be, but his abilities aren't greatly exaggerated.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#15 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8926 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:45 PM

I'm probably in the minority saying this was better than Nemo. I felt more for Dory in this one than all of Nemos runtime and I can say this as after I got done with seeing Dory I sat with my Niece while she watched Nemo an hour later. I don't know why other than I think I just liked that we had less Marlin on screen complaining. Hank was seven arms of sarcastic fun and I think the rest of the extended cast was better than the fish tank crew in the first one.

Edited by Daith, 04 July 2016 - 09:46 PM.

#16 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10579 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:46 PM

^ I have to agree on that one; I found Dory more endearing here than Nemo in the first movie... the flashbacks to Dory's childhood were definitely a factor in that.

I felt things did get a bit too crazy around the finale... particularly the truck chase stuff... but even that was pretty amusing, if not exactly matching the tone of the rest of the film.

#17 Johnny Here

Johnny Here
  • Citizen
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:29 AM

For a film that has different is ok as a theme, weird that it plays a *scrubbed* walrus and a bird as a joke

Edit: special needs then.

Edited by Johnny Here, 05 July 2016 - 11:30 AM.