Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (15 December 2019 - 10:51 AM)

Hey, at least you baked a cake in the bathroom. Not many can attest to that. :p

@  wonko the sane? : (14 December 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Nope. Forgot entirely, had to make another trip.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 December 2019 - 04:04 PM)

Well, did you get water?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 December 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Went to the bathroom, shaved, baked a cake... wait, I only got up to get some water...

@  unluckiness : (14 December 2019 - 09:01 AM)

That's a common misconception. You see compared to the first run, it's a new mold.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 December 2019 - 03:27 AM)

Wouldn't that just add packaging authenticity? :D

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2019 - 01:44 AM)

I read a anecdote of someone recently receiving a Glacialord with mold because apparently online stores' warehouses have been sitting on Fansproject products like that for years.

@  Rycochet : (13 December 2019 - 11:56 AM)

Unlike many of his peers, Morton diesn't seem to have gone out of his way to try and take every drug going so he's aged remarkably well.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Doesn't seem to have been a market for it, which is too bad, because it perfectly does what it sets out to do.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Just opened it and suddenly I'm 9 years old again.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Bought myself Fansproject Glacialord for my birthday during their Black Friday sale.

@  Nevermore : (12 December 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Morten Harket of A-ha might have aged 35 years on the outside, but his voice is still pretty much the same as it was in 1984. That's some great training and exercise for you.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 December 2019 - 06:59 PM)

Depends entirely on how badly you cooked them. What?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Can it raise the dead?

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Cheddar can do just about anything.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Cream cheese has to be on a bagel or crackers.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:31 PM)

(for example: I like Swiss cheese on sandwiches, but find it merely tolerable by itself)

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:30 PM)

I mean are you eating it by itself? With crackers? On a sandwich?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

I would ask, but I'd rather not know.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

With my mouth, usually.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Depends on how you're eating it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Havarti, without a doubt.

@  Greebtron : (12 December 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Not Don, thanks. I'd like a writer who actually cares enough to do the job properly

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 09:34 PM)

What's your favorite cheese? I'm not sure, but it's hard to beat muenster.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:10 PM)

Man I wish IDW could do a season 2.5 with a few writers like Michael Charles Hill or Donald F Glut or Paul Davids involved.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 04:33 PM)

They were looking for Skids, but the animators forgot he existed again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 02:58 PM)

He regrouped with Omega Supreme, the Dinobots, Skyfire and the Protectobots.

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM)

Did he get infected with the rest of the Autobots or did he smartly remain off-planet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 05:38 AM)

He really just went to the beach for a couple of days, then called it in. Who's gonna follow up on it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:05 AM)

Anyone really believe Cosmos searched far enough for more ingredient for Corrostop?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2019 - 03:48 AM)

Oh, we are pretty good at "forgetting" about that. Insisting on sending people home on their overtime, THEN suddenly rushing to do the "backlog" stuff when it's really overdue.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 December 2019 - 05:43 PM)

I've yet to find an organization which didn't have a backlog of "stuff" that needs to be done, but isn't important enough to put on the schedule proper.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 December 2019 - 05:01 PM)

I'm sure most good/bad (depending on your POV) bosses would be able to find something for the worker to do, in most cases, even if it's spending 8 hours pretending to push a broom around

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 December 2019 - 04:39 PM)

Still better than American jobs. x.x;

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 December 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned this before. Especially that last one.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:05 AM)

That can be fun if you're strong-willed enough. "Hey, you want to go home? Overtime reduction, there's nothing to do..." - "Nah, not today. I want to work."

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:04 AM)

This applies to the field of work as well. Meaning, your boss orders you to show up for a full shift, you show up on time and are absolutely willing to work, and then your boss realizes he has no work for you, your boss has to pay you for a full shift even if you don't work at all.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:03 AM)

Fun fact: German law has a concept named "default in acceptance", which postulates that if there is a "service for payment" contract, the party that should provide the service correctly offers their due service, and the party that should pay fails to accept the service within due time, the second party still has to pay the first party even if there was no service delivered.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:54 PM)

If it's seasonal affective disorder, check with your doc about vitamin D supplements.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:46 PM)

That's what I was thinking too, It's the christmas rush and if that's not stressful enough the cold weather can also impact mental health.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 12:41 PM)

Might be a stupid question given the comment, BUT: have you done anything outside the ordinary lately? Might just be a stress reaction.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I've experienced sleep paralysis with ghostly images and similar things in the past and can snap out of it through moving my fingers. I've definitely hallucinated before and members of both sides of the family have had similar experience, some suffered forms of mental instability in two cases schizophrenia.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:47 AM)

So... either a hallucination or night terrors. Are you prone to this kind of thing?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:55 PM)

It kept repeating until I sat up.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:54 PM)

I've been up since three and when sheepish I was hallucinating something knocking twice against my bedroom door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 December 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Then repaint Apeface and Snapdragon as Transmetal Optimus Primal and Megatron. It's crazy enough to work.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Moral imperative.

@  Nevermore : (07 December 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Wishful thinking, rumor or leak?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Snapdragon for Earthrise.

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 December 2019 - 10:22 PM)

Still not the weirdest thing a Nic Cage character has done in a film

Photo

Udon's Street Fighter comics — worth reading?

41 replies to this topic

#1 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10636 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:29 AM

I'm a pretty big mark for Street Fighter, but have never picked up any of these books. They seem to have been consistently published for a while now, but are they any good? I've been enjoying GI Joe vs Street Fighter, and a new ongoing just started up, so I'm interested in picking up the older books too. Good/bad idea?

#2 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7302 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:59 AM

I'm a pretty casual SF fan (or, rather, lapsed for many, many years) and just recently decided to check out the Udon books. I guess I like them, because I ended up grabbing everything and am still reading the current ongoing.

They're a little rough around the edges at times... I get a vague feeling occasionally of... disjointedness, or slightly clumsy storytelling, which kind of reminds me of early Image where you had a bunch of hot young artists figuring out how to write on the job. And I think at times I'm kind of in the dark because I don't have encyclopaedic and up-to-date knowledge of the full spectrum of SF lore. 

But I'd recommend them to a fan of the property. And it's mostly made up of pretty short series, so it's not a big investment to jump in at the beginning and see how you like it. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#3 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43919 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:42 PM

There have been some good stories. And there have been some bad stories too. I'm finding G.I. Joe vs. Street Fighter to be poor actually.  Jinx uses a Shoryuken which makes Ryu angry enough to almost give in to the satsui no hadou... Guile refuses to hit Zartan just because he morphed into Cammy before his eyes... And Bison is wearing a portable psycho drive which seems to be the source of his psycho power here... those three examples are bad portrayals of the Street Fighter characters. The writer clearly doesn't know how to write Street Fighter characters or just doesn't care.  As far as I know, the G.I. Joe (and Cobra) characters seem to be portrayed accurately.  I just hope the story moves away from the tournament setting soon though. 

Edited by Bass X0, 16 June 2016 - 03:29 PM.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#4 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:01 PM

http://www.streetfig...m/comic/archive

Udon itself put what appears to be 12 issues' worth of the comic online for free reading in webcomic format. I figure that should be a good enough glimpse into the way they do things. 

#5 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7302 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:08 PM

The current GI Joe crossover... I mean, it doesn't quite register on the Scioli Scale, but it's still clearly just a bunch of crazy fun that's not meant to be taken too seriously. I'm enjoying it, although I struggle to be okay with a Joe character winning a round. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#6 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2704 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:37 AM

SF VS GiJoe is pretty bollocks, but the main Udon series is harmless enough.  It's kind of like Dreamwave Transformers, except the fanwank and references aren't all right in your face like "REMEMBER THIS EPISODE OF THE CARTOON???"

#7 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10636 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

It's kind of like Dreamwave Transformers

This...does not inspire confidence.

#8 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39177 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:38 PM

They almost always look good, but the story quality is pretty middling for the most part.  I actually like their little bit of Darkstalkers output far more.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#9 Sockie

Sockie
  • Citizen
  • 1930 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:14 PM

They almost always look good, but the story quality is pretty middling for the most part.  I actually like their little bit of Darkstalkers output far more.

For me, their Darkstalkers comics felt like too much of a rehash of the 90s OVA.

Of course, that may just be because I wanted to see more characters other than Morrigan, Demitri, Felicia, and Donovan get focus. (I did appreciate the attention they gave Victor and Talbain, though)

#10 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39177 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:46 AM

Having never seen the '90s OVA, just the awful American cartoon, I couldn't say.

#11 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10636 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

Too bad. Plenty of opportunity for great storytelling within the SF mythos. 

Wonder if IDW is at all interested in snagging the license after the G.I. Joe X Street Fighter series. 

#12 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39177 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

Only if they brought the Udon artists along.  I don't really want anyone else touching it, artwise, at this point.  Udon just really needs to find better writers that somehow ALSO care about the games, not just one or the other.

#13 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10636 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:58 PM

Shit, I'd do it. 

#14 The Magic Man

The Magic Man
  • Citizen
  • 1703 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:55 PM

Udon's current senior editor has been doing a really good job at alienating people on social media and with a few cover-related publicity stunts, so I've been avoiding the current crop of stuff.

Edited by The Magic Man, 23 June 2016 - 05:56 PM.

#15 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7302 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

The recent launch of the new ongoing would have been a great time to lure in a big name writer. (Feel free to replace "big name" with "better".)

Given that these are Street Fighter comics, I think for the most part the writing is fine, though it won't be winning Eisners obviously. But as I think I mentioned earlier it does sometimes feel... just a bit half-baked, or Bad Old Days Of Image-y.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#16 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10636 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

Udon's current senior editor has been doing a really good job at alienating people on social media and with a few cover-related publicity stunts, so I've been avoiding the current crop of stuff.

Is it still Matt Moylan? 

#17 The Magic Man

The Magic Man
  • Citizen
  • 1703 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:28 AM

Yeah

#18 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39177 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:14 PM

The senior editor's Ash Paulsen.  Matt Moylan's the production coordinator/director.  I've met Ash Paulsen a few times and he's a decent guy.

Edited by Spark, 24 June 2016 - 03:15 PM.

#19 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43919 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:41 PM

Ugh. Street Fighter X G.I. Joe #5 was seriously horrible.  Literally the worst most stupid Street Fighter fiction anyone anywhere has ever produced and sold for money. Even the Malibu Comics treated Street Fighter with more respect and seriousness. And the cover art quality is on par with or worse than the old "Look and Find" Street Fighter "Where's Waldo/Wally" rip-off.

40_00.jpg

Lookandfindstreetfighter.jpg

Edited by Bass X0, 29 June 2016 - 02:42 PM.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#20 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7302 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:15 PM

Haven't read this issue yet, but given the tone of the series as a whole I'm wouldn't expect a great deal of "seriousness", I don't really think that's part of the crossover's mandate. 

The cover though is indeed absolutely hideous, and as far as I can tell, just in a pure "ugly art" way. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users