Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (13 August 2020 - 10:31 PM)

Turns out the President set the whole thing up as a publicity stunt. Very rude.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 August 2020 - 08:11 PM)

The ninjas will go away, it will be fine.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 08:02 PM)

listen; i'm sure there were very fine ninjas on both sides.

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 August 2020 - 07:50 PM)

My thoughts and prayers go out to the ninjas.

@  Cybersnark : (13 August 2020 - 06:36 PM)

Can we just let them have him?

@  Bass X0 : (13 August 2020 - 06:18 PM)

The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:08 PM)

At first, I obviously thought I was correct.  Then I thought perhaps the spelling had changed for some reason.  Copyright/trademark law is weird, ya know?  Now I just accept I goofed. XD

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:07 PM)

See, that one directly applies to me.  Apparently, I'd been misreading and mispronouncing it wrong for over 30 years... and I still slip and do it the wrong way much of the time.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

for the Internet age its the "Berenstain" Effect.

@  Bass X0 : (12 August 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Can you root for what The Rock is cooking!?

@  -LittleAutob... : (12 August 2020 - 10:35 AM)

sOmEoNe NoTiCeD-

@  wonko the sane? : (12 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

I am the only one rooting for the rock these days?

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 August 2020 - 12:37 AM)

Sour grapes for the next decade until Apophis hits.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:26 PM)

Thank yoo for vatching hydroolic pthress chan-nel.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:19 PM)

Hey, do you have any grapes?

@  Otaku : (11 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

I dunno... it sounds kind of quackers to me.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 August 2020 - 05:17 PM)

That would be nice....

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 August 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I wish I could just sit by a pond and watch ducks for a while.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

Photo

DC Rebirth Discussion: The Watchmenening

New 52 DC Rebirth Watchmen

96 replies to this topic

#1 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22355 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

So, a few things.

First, Wally West is back. The one we know, not the New 52 one.

Second, there are apparently three Jokers.

Third, the Justice Society is coming back.

Fourth, though. Oh BOY the fourth.

Apparently, the end of Watchmen where Dr. Manhattan creates life is when the New 52 started.

That's right, the big blue hand that Krona saw at the beginning of creation is that of Dr. Manhattan.

Huh.

Edited by Internet Jesus, 03 July 2016 - 06:32 AM.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#2 000

• Citizen
  • 2803 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:58 PM

I clicked on this topic thinking "Hug Alan Moore, I don't care what makes him happy at this point."

But WOW, that's a really awful idea.  Please tell me that's not real.

#3 Ironbite

Ironbite

REJOICE! THE KING OF TIME HAS ARRIVED!

• Supporter
  • 29065 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:14 PM

Woooooooooooooooow.  They went there didn't they?

xC9l3eY.gif

#4 Devcon

Devcon

'Sup?

• Retired Staff
  • 11906 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

So, a few things.

First, Wally West is back. The one we know, not the New 52 one.

AWESOME.

Second, there are apparently three Jokers.

Erm... ok.

Third, the Justice Society is coming back.

Good!

Fourth, though. Oh BOY the fourth.

Apparently, the end of Watchmen where Dr. Manhattan creates life is when the New 52 started.

That's right, the big blue hand that Krona saw at the beginning of creation is that of Dr. Manhattan.

Huh.

I need a moment to create a forehead-shaped divot in my desk. BRB.

Edited by Devcon, 20 May 2016 - 09:20 PM.

From the Page of Cage!

#5 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4974 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:39 PM

Considering DC's history, two good reveals, a questionable reveal (3 Jokers could go a lot of ways), and a WTF reveal is a pretty solid average these days.

Tying Watchmen to the normal DC universe is something I don't think ANYBODY wanted, but you got to keep the cosmic balance somewhere.

#6 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17989 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:24 PM

Well they didn't tie Watchmen to the regular DCU right? They tied it to the New 52 DCU which, shrug I couldn't care less about. And honestly it's such a weird idea that I have to give it points for brazen creativity if nothing else. Crazy can be fun and it's definitely a crazy.

3 Jokers sounds like a terrible idea out of context but as part of a story I'm willing to at least give it a chance.

Bringing back the jSA and Wally are both probably really good ideas.

-ZacWilliam, I don't hate any of it on principle at least depending how they write it and what they do with it.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#7 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48114 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:07 AM

I'd be more outraged if I didn't know DC was going to reset its universe again in five to ten years anyway.

Six reboots in the span of 31 years. I remember when this thing was considered a big deal.

Edited by Rust, 21 May 2016 - 01:07 AM.

#8 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:24 AM

Well they didn't tie Watchmen to the regular DCU right? They tied it to the New 52 DCU which, shrug I couldn't care less about. And honestly it's such a weird idea that I have to give it points for brazen creativity if nothing else. Crazy can be fun and it's definitely a crazy.
3 Jokers sounds like a terrible idea out of context but as part of a story I'm willing to at least give it a chance.
-ZacWilliam, I don't hate any of it on principle at least depending how they write it and what they do with it.

Except Rebirth more or less implies the New 52 universe is the old one changed by Dr. Manhattan to take out elements that are now returning.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#9 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9556 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:09 AM

Um wow.... I tend to hate that DC has done something stupid thread we have going here but that last reveal kinda makes this worthy of it.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#10 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

• Citizen
  • 22355 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:11 AM

Except Rebirth more or less implies the New 52 universe is the old one changed by Dr. Manhattan to take out elements that are now returning.

Not only that, but apparently Doctor Manhattan's meddling supposedly stole ten years from everyone according to Wally.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#11 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17989 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:54 AM

I like "Dr Manhatten fiddled with reality and screwed stuff up" more than "Superboy Prime went crazy and punched reality" at least. Granted that's a low bar but still.

Soooo "DCU vs Watchmen" event? Where a team of DC folk invade the Watchmen U to stop Manhattan from screwing with them anymore? And everybody from DC is horrified by this gritty hell-verse?

ZacWilliam, now that sounds like a miniseries that would likely be terrible...

#12 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

• Citizen
  • 22355 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:03 AM

Remember way back when when Pandora apparently merged DC, Wildstorm and Vertigo to create the New 52 Universe because of a multiversal threat? Looks like that was Pandora manipulating Manhattan to do so, and that Manhattan was the threat. Which he wasn't supposed to be because that was going to be Darkseid War but Johns got too busy to write it so here we go.

Manhattan apparently murders Pandora in Rebirth, and Batman discovers that Joker left the now infamous bloody Smiley face pin in the Batcave. This is the last page in the issue, with Wally also telling Barry that they're being "watched" implying the Watchmen connection.

So. The three Jokers. One could be the New 52 Joker. One could possibly be Rorschach reborn, leaving the pin for Batmam to find?

Who's the third one then? The Comedian reborn?

Speculation!

Edited by Internet Jesus, 21 May 2016 - 07:14 AM.

#13 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48114 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:07 AM

Wouldn't the Watchman Universe be a veritable utopia of global cooperation in the wake of Ozymandias' plans, though?

I mean, Watchmen ended on the note that the thing super heroes fight for had come to pass.

So of course it's going to end with Batman revealing to the public at large the truth behind the deception.

#14 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

• Citizen
  • 22355 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:15 AM

That's for the writers to write themselves out of this hole Geoff Johns dug for them before hugging off to run the DCEU.

Which begs the question though.

Why is Doctor Manhattan suddenly the villain? Why would he steal 10 years from the DCU to weaken it? Why murder Pandora? This isn't like Jon at all.

The biggest question of all, why use the Watchmen universe at all when there's a perfectly Pax Romana-shaped hole to fill that in with? Name recognition? Perhaps. Perhaps Johns wants to contrast the grittiness of New 52 to the post-Rebirth universe where the same idiots who ran New 52 to its gritty heights still run the goddamn thing.

Edited by Internet Jesus, 21 May 2016 - 07:31 AM.

#15 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36725 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:58 AM

Obviously the three Jokers are Batman '66 Joker, BTAS Joker, and TDK Joker.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#16 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17989 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

Wouldn't the Watchman Universe be a veritable utopia of global cooperation in the wake of Ozymandias' plans, though?

I mean, Watchmen ended on the note that the thing super heroes fight for had come to pass.

So of course it's going to end with Batman revealing to the public at large the truth behind the deception.

I believe Watchmen ended on the note that someone found the journal and everything that had just been bought with monumental death might come to nothing. So, theoretically, the world after Watchmen has at least as much chance of being a mess as a Utopia.

-ZacWilliam, sooo who thinks one of the Jokers is the intern who finds the journal?

#17 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3368 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:21 AM

Why?  Why is someone spoiling this?  Everyone is going to be buying this next week so why spoil it now.

#18 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:25 AM

Cape comics inevitably destroy themselves. It's like a snake eating its own tail.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#19 Johnny Here

Johnny Here
  • Citizen
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

Traaaash. Along with two Wally Wests. But Watchmen is worse. It's like they have no quality control or respect for anything. I could be a better editor than whoever approved this.

This eating its own tail thing is why comics sucks. DC has a crisis every year that references past events instead of moving things forward.

I don't know whose worse...Johns or Bendis.

Edit: Touch my Thighs we think alike...I really wanted to use a different nsfw euphemism tho.

I feel te same way about two Spider-Men to be honest...id probably feel different about Miles if he weren't so incredibly boring.

Edited by Johnny Here, 21 May 2016 - 08:59 AM.

#20 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

• Citizen
  • 22355 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:54 AM

Obviously the three Jokers are Batman '66 Joker, BTAS Joker, and TDK Joker.

From Newsarama's spoilers, the three Jokers were the original, the Killing Joke Joker and the Endgame/Snyder Joker.

Why?  Why is someone spoiling this?  Everyone is going to be buying this next week so why spoil it now.

DC sent out review copies. Reddit got ahold of one and spoiled it, Bleeding Cool reported it, and according to Bleeding Cool because they reported it, the major Comic News outlets are now given the go-ahead to spoil it.

There's way more that happens since it's an 80 page issue (there's Legion hints and Ryan Choi being the only person who can save Ray Palmer, Aquaman proposing to Mera, Green Arrow and Black Canary knowing the spark between them is real while Wally talks about the ten years taken away, etc). Spoiling it a week ahead of time gives DC publicity ahead of Rebirth. It's pretty smart strategy even though the backlash is gonna be major.

Edited by Internet Jesus, 21 May 2016 - 10:57 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users