Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Xellos : (20 March 2019 - 04:05 PM)

I got into SG1 right as season 8 ended. The Stargates were the last shows that I would make sure to watch every week. Since Universe ended, I really have not been addicted to any live action series.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 March 2019 - 03:12 PM)

The concept of the film had enormous potential, and the rest was literally writers one upping each other when they didn't know if they were going to get renewed.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 March 2019 - 02:40 PM)

Haven't got as far as Universe yet, but I finished SG-1 on Prime last week and I'm part of the way through Atlantis, now. Amazing how long it went on, just based off a single film

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 March 2019 - 02:36 PM)

Teal'c PI never happened but Teengate did.

@  Cybersnark : (20 March 2019 - 02:33 PM)

Indeed.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 March 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Yeah, SG1 is fairly and uniformely good throught out it's entire run. Atlantis isn't quite as good, but has quite a few good episodes, and universe wasn't a bad take on the more dramatic and outlandish aspects of the universe.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 March 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Man, I should've watched the Stargate TV shows years ago; they're a lot better than I ever expected

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 March 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Well, if the merchant benefited from it there's no harm, I guess. Some people just aren't comfortable dealing with foreign currencies; although admittedly those usually aren't the types who'll go to a place like Estonia.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 March 2019 - 05:51 PM)

I gather this was an ad hoc sale with no machine around. Or the U.S.-Americans in this story were so entitled they didn't bother getting any euros for their trip. One hears about the latter phenomenon often enough.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 March 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Easier to just use a credit card with no foreign currency conversion fee. There are plenty to choose from in the US

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 March 2019 - 05:40 PM)

Joke's on them because the USD-EUR exchange rate gave him a lot more.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 March 2019 - 05:39 PM)

Just read an anecdote on Facebook from an Estonian guy who once accepted U.S. dollars on par from some 'Mericans who didn't change their currency when traveling to another country.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 March 2019 - 11:14 AM)

Try their TF/GIJoe comic. I dare you. (I'm sorry in advance.)

@  Fnu Aw : (19 March 2019 - 10:41 AM)

My first reaction reading Dreamwave was "What am I stupid or something?" It can be hard to follow what's happening at times.

@  Paladin : (19 March 2019 - 07:52 AM)

but enough about *INSERT LEAST FAVORITE WEBCOMIC HERE*

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 March 2019 - 06:15 AM)

He draws about as well as he runs a business.

@  Nevermore : (19 March 2019 - 06:01 AM)

But... but... it has artwork by Superstar Extraordinaire Paticus Funana Lee!

@  Trpodeca : (19 March 2019 - 03:36 AM)

The second one,has a lot more interesting idea (A unified post war Cybertron, people viewing Optimus differently now the wars over), but in practice it's a disjointed mess.

@  Trpodeca : (19 March 2019 - 03:34 AM)

I'd say the first volume is the most Meh Transformers comic I've ever read. Reading it I felt like I was skipping a bunch of pages.

@  Trpodeca : (19 March 2019 - 03:32 AM)

You know I've been reading Dreamwave's comics and its not very good.

@  lastmaximal : (18 March 2019 - 11:36 PM)

Basics we can afford to take for granted. So let's cool it.

@  Nevermore : (18 March 2019 - 06:07 PM)

Learning what exactly?

@  Kayla Kaon : (18 March 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Don't be mean. The kid is learning.

@  KidTDragon : (18 March 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Tucker has to have his threads approved before they'll post now? That's hilarious.

@  Kayla Kaon : (18 March 2019 - 01:19 PM)

Tucker, it is the same thread that you already posted. I am not approving that. As we have discussed you need to submit different content.

@  Kayla Kaon : (18 March 2019 - 01:18 PM)

We will look at it Tucker.

@  Pennpenn : (18 March 2019 - 08:28 AM)

[Replace adjectives as needed]

@  wonko the sane? : (18 March 2019 - 08:28 AM)

an unhealthy volume of paranoia seems to accompany most hatemongers.

@  Nevermore : (18 March 2019 - 08:12 AM)

"Them" being alien reptiloid Muslim Zionist Atheist Sanatist Communist pedophile feminazis. Or something.

@  Nevermore : (18 March 2019 - 08:11 AM)

His views are "They're coming for us!"

@  unluckiness : (18 March 2019 - 12:59 AM)

I don't think even he knows his own views, frankly. What with blaming Spyro and having the Navy Seal copypasta in his so-called manifesto

@  Pennpenn : (17 March 2019 - 09:27 PM)

Even in the general population there are those who share his views. Probably a significant crossover with the ones who blame Muslims for what happened.

@  Pennpenn : (17 March 2019 - 09:25 PM)

It wouldn't surprise (but still disgust) me if there was a part of the prison population who condone or even celebrate his actions.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 March 2019 - 07:45 PM)

TFcon is returning to Washington, D.C. this North American autumn 2019.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 March 2019 - 02:48 PM)

I bet he will have to be kept in solitary for the rest of his life for his own protection against other prisoners.

@  Nevermore : (17 March 2019 - 02:46 PM)

**** that asshole that killed 50 people in New Zealand.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 March 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Happy Street Atri's Day!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 March 2019 - 02:02 PM)

That works too. The burger example was just fresher in my mind from another site.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 March 2019 - 01:52 PM)

"Paddy" is short for "Patrick". But "Patty" is still short for "Patricia", right?

@  Kayla Kaon : (17 March 2019 - 01:38 PM)

My name is and I take offense to this

@  Locoman : (17 March 2019 - 01:26 PM)

MY NAME'S! NOT! RIIIIIIIIIIICK!

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 March 2019 - 10:15 AM)

Happy Saint Rick's Day!

@  MEDdMI : (17 March 2019 - 06:39 AM)

Whooo! I can get some cheap corned beef now!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:55 PM)

While I have no ties to Ireland, South or North, I have been reassured by many Irish people of the proper rendition.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:54 PM)

Paddy is the diminutive of Pádraig. Patty belongs on a burger.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:53 PM)

PSA to all: the abbreviated name is Paddy's Day or Saint Paddy's Day.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:42 PM)

Another round of U.S.-Americans throwing around Disneyfied Irish symbolism for the sake of getting smashed.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 March 2019 - 11:41 PM)

Hooray, it is Lá Fhéile Pádraig / Saint Patrick's Day once again.

@  B-Fox : (16 March 2019 - 07:46 PM)

Is the furry segment in Love, Death, and Robots as furry as the furry segment in The ABCs of Death?

@  Bass X0 : (16 March 2019 - 01:52 PM)

Always honor a contract but never trust a client.

Photo
- - - - -

Botcon 2016 Aaron Archer Panel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33612 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

Aaron Archer starts his panel with a bio of his career and working on Batman, Total Justice, various DC lines. Also did Alien Resurrection and Star Wars Episode 1. Has claim to fame of having worked on more Jar Jar toys than anyone else in the world.

Transtech background. Showing some designs and talking about it being a little too crazy and needing to get back to the core of TFs.

TM2 was his first foray into TFs. Most of team had engineering background, so he was sought out for being an artist. Showing Takara model sheet for TM2 Megatron.

Showing Dinobot and describing how sending Takara general idea and letting them finish it off is better than an overly detailed sheet that they'd match exactly.

Armada Megatron's horns were supposed to be a pincher action unlocked by minicon. Left out for cost and safety concerns.

Showing pics of him at Botcons over the years.

Proudest achievements:
MP Optimus, licensed cars, Alternators, Minicons. TF Animated toys, style. Unicorn toy. Knight Force Ninja Batman.

For content proudest of:
Movies, canonize the 13.

Q&A:
Difference between beast and vehicle designs. 4 legs or animal hairy parts as kibble make them trickier. Also heads can end up in weird places.

Weird seeing his designs redone, like Armada Megatron.

Enduring legacy of Unicron Trilogy was what it allowed Hasbro to do, gave it momentum that led to the movie, the studio, etc.

Walmart was considering delisting Transformers completely after Beast Machines.

Talking about Transtech designs and how many got to prototype phase. 4-5. Some came out later like Megabilt Megatron. There was also to be a larger playset version of Meganilt that would have had small-scale figures of the other characters, and would have captured Maximals, etc.

Considering your own sketchbook? He's an artist not a bookmaker, so not where his interests are. Sometimes shows these on Throwback Thursdays.

Came up with deeper TF mythology (the 13, Prine and Megatron's backstory, etc) with a team.

During Movie 1, planned to make a big shogun Optimus but it never worked out. But generally fairly proud of how well planned they were because pretty much everything came out in some form. Very little surprise to show because it all came out.

Favorite Botcon stories. First Kentucky con because we basically owned that hotel.

Amazing to work with Yoke-San, working with someone humble with such depth of skills, and the cultural experience. He's also an excellent picker of sake.

Armada Hoist SD-74 tampo refers to a night in San Diego and an actual crane during which some time was spent in an adult establishment with Judd Nelson, after which a lot of fun was had with the crane. He may or may not still have a key to that crane with font that matches the SD-74. San Diego still has a new stadium, it was no way harmed by that evening.

Why -con ending for Minicon? In the early years, didn't really know exactly what was important in naming schemes.

Alternators. Hot Shot isn't as cool as a G1 car, so wondered if they could add a realistic licensed car segment, since popularity of the brand was on an uptick. Tried to negotiate brands that would work in both markets. Japan doesn't have pickup trucks, so had to get Dodge Ram to the point it was acceptable for Japanese market, which is why it was Optimus.

Closing remarks about how great this experience is for artists to get such great feedback from fans about what their work means. We should go out with our heads held high.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#2 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:15 PM

Any chance some of those Transtech designs might get posted, or are they the same stuff that have been around for a while?

#3 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33612 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:21 PM

Looks to me like the same stuff? Maybe someone else can say more definitively?

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#4 Omnibus

Omnibus

Bracket-Om-Bracket

• Citizen
  • 411 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:27 PM

Canceled big Megabolt Megatron playset. Got partially done, "More like Takara's squids". Ask Takara, they keep everything.
{Om}

#5 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10804 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:34 PM

For content proudest of:
Movies, canonize the 13.

As in the original 13 concept, or the Covenant/AVP lineup?

3nAcIwa.png

#6 gearshift

gearshift

insanely here for buff ROM

• Citizen
  • 2318 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:49 PM

I'd suspect Covenant, considering the large role he had along-side Rik Alvarez in that binder stuff. IIRC Jim took personal credit for canonising the multiverse lineup (considering it was all about to be wrecked anyways) when doing the postmortem of AVP.

Anyways, this is super interesting stuff! I still look up to the guy, even if he insulted Armada Sideways when he reblogged my digibash once...

Edited by Gearshift, 09 April 2016 - 01:51 PM.

#7 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10804 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

IIRC, Jim worked with Simon Furman, James Roberts and... at least one other guy on the lineup? I can't remember if Archer was involved.

e: Yep, it was Archer.

Edited by Broadside, 09 April 2016 - 02:00 PM.

3nAcIwa.png

#8 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22584 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:59 PM

Yeah, Archer was mentioned.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#9 Lancer

Lancer

*angry Scottish nonsense noises*

• Citizen
  • 24706 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:53 PM

Hot Shot isn't as cool as a G1 car

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if one Walky suddenly cried out in rage and was suddenly silenced.

#10 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7671 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

Walmart was considering delisting Transformers completely after Beast Machines.

seems like all the walmarts i visit have done that...

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#11 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:46 PM

Hot Shot isn't as cool as a G1 car

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if one Walky suddenly cried out in rage and was suddenly silenced.

*removes the silencer from his still-smoking gun*

What? He was screaming like a little girl.

-SS (If not me, it would've been someone else.)

#12 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16754 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:05 AM

I wish I had been able to make this panel. The concepts Aaron had for transformers were always innovative and I like his insights into that process.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#13 Vexwing

Vexwing

You are being deceived

• Staff
  • 3596 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:17 AM

I'm surprised no awkward PWTT questions were asked.

35806863916_c3f0822359_o.jpg
I'm on twitter for some reason! Hell if I know why.
@vexwing

www.flickr.com/vexwing

#14 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Supporter
  • 3542 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:21 AM

You have to be able to afford to go to BotCon for that one.

#15 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 13991 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:59 AM

Ah, neat, the story  behind SD74.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#16 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12389 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:48 AM

I'm surprised no awkward PWTT questions were asked.

I'm glad people resisted the opportunity to be douchespatters.

M "At Least, In This Specific Instance" Sipher

The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#17 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18651 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:20 AM

I hesitate to ask, but what's "PWTT"?

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#18 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22584 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:25 AM

Play With This Too.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#19 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 16783 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:25 AM

Did they ever call their second Kickstarter Play With This Two? That seems like a missed opportunity if not.

#20 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10804 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:02 PM

I hesitate to ask, but what's "PWTT"?

Failed startup of 3P not-Pretenders that didn't Pretend, entirely staffed by ex-Hasbro types. Their first attempt at a Kickstarter had a not-Octopunch by Aaron Archer, only a relatively short period of time after he decried 3P toys on Tumblr.

3nAcIwa.png