Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Waspinator : (17 December 2018 - 12:29 AM)

I'd say it's more of a crushing sensation than a sucking one.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 December 2018 - 09:57 PM)

Whole heartedly agree.

@  Paladin : (16 December 2018 - 07:22 PM)

migraines suck.

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 December 2018 - 04:39 PM)

They may have had it earlier than that; Risa uses weather control tech to maintain its resort-style climate, and it was shown to already be established in the late 22nd century

@  wonko the sane? : (16 December 2018 - 03:13 PM)

By next gen they had weather control on earth, and were even in the process of upgrading the geologic stability network. So yeah: habitat maintenance on the next level.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 December 2018 - 02:51 PM)

Something something invert polarity something technobabble something.

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 December 2018 - 02:38 PM)

I imagine World War III managed to decimate enough of the industrial economies that they inadvertently managed to exceed their carbon reduction targets from the Paris Accords, and then by the time Earth got back on its feet after the development of warp drive and first contact with the Vulcans, electricity was able to be generated cleanly and much more efficiently

@  The Doctor Who : (16 December 2018 - 01:48 PM)

I mean, they have futuristic weather control satellites and everything, I would imagine that global warming is a thing of the past in Trek.

@  unluckiness : (16 December 2018 - 09:39 AM)

How's that unrealistic? Not even the ocean wants it.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 December 2018 - 01:35 AM)

The most unrealistic thing (from a U.S. perspective) is that Florida isn't underwater!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 December 2018 - 01:35 AM)

I was reminded today of a funny thing about Star Trek:

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 09:58 PM)

Whatever they can sell it for?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 December 2018 - 09:48 PM)

Geez, WTF do those China sellers on eBay need my phone number for?

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 09:44 PM)

Does the PotP voyager Starscream's chest stick out so far in combiner torso mode? It's kinda weird how much Elita Infinite's back seems so empty up top but very... protruding lower down.

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 01:26 AM)

Trying to fit Elita One's combiner head back into her torso is a pain in the arse (and not just because her torso becomes her arse in combiner torso mode)

@  RichardT1977 : (14 December 2018 - 10:04 PM)

Power corrupts and corruption empowers.

@  Echowarrior : (14 December 2018 - 07:10 PM)

Welcome to real life...at least until enough people get fed up and they break out the guillotines.

@  Pennpenn : (14 December 2018 - 06:58 PM)

It's almost as if the people with the most money have funneled money into making the systems of government and law serve their purposes in retaining their wealth, no matter how harmful, counterintuitive, or just flat out evil they have to be. Huh.

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:49 PM)

https://www.motherjones.com/media/2015/10/mother-jones-vandersloot-melaleuca-lawsuit/

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:45 PM)

Some states have laws against that, but they're in a tiny minority. There are plenty of cases where rich people have gone after journalists and their employers for accurate reporting, lost, but still left their targets saddled with hundreds of thousands ofdollars in legal fees and no hope of recovering anyof the money because a partisan judge has decreed that while they're innocent, they're not innocent enough.

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:43 PM)

The american system is as bad, there are plenty of cases of billionaires or corporations filing libel suits purely to kill reporting or activisim against their activities. SLAPP suits. Strategic Lawsuits against public participation.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2018 - 12:48 PM)

e.g. British libel laws place the burden of proof on the accuser, which is how we wind up with Emirati billionaires suing Western journalists in British courts

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2018 - 12:46 PM)

Never visited the UK in my life, but reading about British laws in the news gives me the vibe that British culture inherently protects the wealthy and established.

@  Anonymous X : (14 December 2018 - 12:39 PM)

Sounds a lot better than labour law in the UK. It's bare minimum standards here, you don't get any employment rights as such in the first two years of employment (and the employer can arbitrarily reset the clock). Unions are limited to a few public sector professions as well; in the private sector, there basically aren't any unions.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:25 PM)

Bonus points if your company has a works council. The employer is required by law to hear the works council prior to giving you your termination. The works council cannot prevent your termination if the employer really insists on going through with it, but if the employer failed to hear the works council, didn't wait for the works council to respond, or failed to tell the works council *all* the relevant details, the termination is legally invalid due to a technicality.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:23 PM)

The employer has to tell you the reason for your termination if you explicitly ask for it, and if you can prove the reason is factually incorrect, the employer may lose the case.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:21 PM)

For all its flaws, I really like a lot about our German labor law. Here, if you're under a permanent contract and have been continually employed for over six months, employers can only fire you for reasons that fall into one of three categories defined by law, and the burden of proof is on the employer's side in a potential court case.

@  Paladin : (13 December 2018 - 05:38 PM)

in brightest day or blackest night?

@  Bass X0 : (13 December 2018 - 05:25 PM)

Finally we get a Greenlight toy.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 December 2018 - 04:58 PM)

See.. In America they would just fire you for having the wrong color shoes on or some BS reason.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:13 AM)

And hey, in addition to the clocked extra hours, I earned an additional 50% overtime bonus.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:12 AM)

This past Saturday, in full expectance of a strike this week, I worked a full extra shift. They assigned me and some of the other volunteers to a totally pointless task, while some ladies were seriously sweeping the floor. When asked how long I was planning to stay, I smiled and said "a full shift!"

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:10 AM)

"You were asking for volunteers, right? I'm staying." - "But we have no more work for you!" - "I don't see how that's *my* problem..."

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:10 AM)

It's possible to use that to troll the employer a little, though... Once they allow voluntary overtime, they cannot backtrack from that. So once you notice you're rapidly running out of work, you just decide to do overtime out of spite.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:08 AM)

Now if there's *no* strike... people eventually run out of work.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:07 AM)

Amazon is prepared for strikes... they just hire way too many people for the Christmas season. If there's a strike, they still have enough (albeit inexperienced) workers.

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 December 2018 - 07:49 PM)

Not one bit :p

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 December 2018 - 06:46 PM)

@Steevy Did you read TM2's post? "Amazon.de".

@  Paladin : (12 December 2018 - 06:37 PM)

just wait until the European economy collapses up its Brexit-shaped asshole.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 December 2018 - 06:22 PM)

Probably not a ton of people, no. Although I'd say I order from one European Amazon site once every month or two, myself. Usually UK, but sometimes Germany as well. France and Italy a couple times, too. There are some good Blu-Ray releases that are exclusive to Europe

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 December 2018 - 06:00 PM)

I'm not sure a European strike is going to impact North American customers.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 December 2018 - 04:13 PM)

Well, somebody must've been working 'cuz I had an order in with Amazon.de that got shipped out the other day

@  Echowarrior : (12 December 2018 - 01:29 PM)

Amazon.

@  Benbot : (12 December 2018 - 01:01 PM)

AOL?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2018 - 08:22 PM)

Also, strike has been extended. So no working for 50 minutes. Would have been fun, though.

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2018 - 08:21 PM)

I said numerous times already that I work at that big American corporation that begins with "A".

@  Waspinator : (11 December 2018 - 07:21 PM)

Preferably the equivalent of Lara Croft or Indiana Jones a thousand years from now

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 December 2018 - 02:26 PM)

The turkeys... The answer is always the Turkeys.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 December 2018 - 02:05 PM)

Who would be the heroes in this situation?

@  Waspinator : (11 December 2018 - 02:03 PM)

When I die, I want my body to be part of a puzzle solution. Like, have my skeleton pointing at the clue the heroes are supposed to find.

Photo

Can I get a little advice on upgrading my PC hardware?

pc motherboard gaming

28 replies to this topic

#1 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4411 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

Basically, everything in my case is around 10 years old. I built it in '09, but had to go cheapish and use older stuff. Plus I half put it together myself (bought a case with the main guts and put in a graphics card and power supply of my own choosing), so..yeah. I had and still have little idea what I'm doing, so they were probably not good matches. And it turns out the motherboard can only support 4GB of RAM total, so there's not much improvement I can do there.

Stats!

Motherboard is MSI MSI N1996, 2 RAM slots (DDR2, 4GB max :puke )

Processor is AMD Athlon II X2 245, 2.90 GHz

Graphics Card is NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+

I'd like someone more intelligent and experienced to tell me if it'd make enough of a difference to replace the motherboard with something that could handle more RAM and possibly make more use of the GeForce, or if it'd be just as well to look for a more modern pre-built setup. It'd have to be a sort of middle-of-the-road system to make it fit my price range, but today's Average probably beats my current setup by miles.

I don't really need my pc to go all out on the graphics (I bought my PS4 for that), but I'd like to actually be able to play some of the newer stuff (specifically Ark: Survival Evolved and Subnautica, both of which I stupidly bought despite not being able to run them worth a snert)

#2 DeltaSeeker

DeltaSeeker
  • Supporter
  • 4747 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:21 PM

Looking at the minimum specs for Ark: Survival Evolved, it looks like you'll need to upgrade just about everything.  Minimum memory requirements is 4GB, which you've got, but in my experience you really want 8, which means a motherboard upgrade since yours only supports 4.   Looks like your CPU is up to snuff (minimum 2.0GHz Dual Core 64-Bit), so if you can get a motherboard that has an AM3 socket you shouldn't need to upgrade that.  

As for your video card, minimum requirements for Ark is a DirectX11 compatible card with 1GB onboard RAM.  Your board only supports up to DirectX10, so that'll need to be upgraded as well.  I'm running a GeFORCE GTX 960 on my system at home, and it runs everything I throw at it very well.  Newegg has some for around $200.

So, if you want to upgrade you'll need:

- New MB with AM3 CPU socket and support for 8GB RAM (if you can get one that takes the same type of memory you already have, you can reuse it and just buy 4GB more, else you'll need new memory sticks, too)

- New video card

Plus minor items like thermal compound for when you move the CPU and heatsink/cpu fan.

#3 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 40487 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

While I mirror the "save as many components as possible" mindset when building a computer, if you actually are building it yourself: go for a motherboard/chip package. It'll eliminate the possibility of making a mistake with the old one (accidentally grabbing a the wrong board for your chip, for example.) and they often offer deals when you buy them together. Plus you'll more than likely end with a chip that has a few more cores to throw around.

If you aren't that keen on rebuilding a whole computer: there's no shame in getting a pre-built desktop then upgrading it. Just find the one that matches your requirements and skill level (can you install an OS on your own? Do you have a copy you can install? Should you be getting a computer with an X64 OS already on? (if you're going to use more than 4 gigs of ram, you need a X64 OS.)) and read the specs carefully at the store. If it's a big box store: the guy on the floor probably doesn't have any useful information, but bring your tablet and make gratuitous use of the wifi... or the other computers on the shelf. :D A quick search on the motherboard model will give you everything you need, and the tag will tell you what it comes with stock.

If you are building it for gaming, here are some question to ask:

-How much ram can the board take, and how many channels? (more is better. You want four ram slots if possible as it will give you more flexibility in purchases, and notably lower the overall price for the ram. 4X4 gig will work out cheaper than 2X8.)

-Whats the read speed on the disk drive? (size is important these days, but a faster read means a lower load times. If you want to get fancy and can swing the price, get an SSD for the OS and must have games to massively lower load times on just about everything.)

-How many ports does the board have and of what kind? (Most video cards are PCI-E 2.0... or something like that. You want at least one PCI slot, and one PCI-E slot.)

-What is the total output of the power supply? (Gaming rigs use a lot of power, and some companies don't give the pre-builts the extra capacity they might need. Dell is notorious for making power supplies with just enough ooomph for the off the shelf build and nothing more.)

And; lastly: any computer you get/build will need... FANS! You want to think on air flow and cooling to keep the machine from overheating. It's usually an easy thing to do: cases come (normally.) with space to install extra fans, but that's a feature that starts at mid-towers and moves up. Compact cases will work against you, because even if you have the power and connections to install extra fans: you might not have any place to put them in the case.

BUT: there is an upside to all this: since graphics and performance are not the be-all, end-all for you. You can literally walk into any computer store and say "Show me last years top of the line!" and find that it's more than likely on clearance.

Edited by wonko the sane?, 10 March 2016 - 07:28 PM.

#4 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4411 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, I guess I'll probably go with Last Year's Model in this case. My PC has been good to me, and she's still in great shape, but I need something a little more up to date and I don't think I have it in me to try to build another one or to muck around in this one's innards again. Thanks for the tips!

#5 Pocket

Pocket
  • Citizen
  • 4011 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:12 PM

As far as graphics cards go, this page roughly sums up the comparable computing power of all GPUs currently and previously on the market. It's a good way to cut through the confusopoly that is the current graphics card market and make sure you're not getting something way underpowered, especially if it's in a factory-built computer.

I recommend looking online at some of the stuff that's available, to get a feel for what you might want before walking into a store and just accepting whatever they have on offer. If you were able to build a computer once, you at least have enough expertise to "build" an off-the-shelf unit from custom specs. Dell's website in particular lets you customize the hell out of the desktop you're looking at, but as a general rule almost any website gives you more options than your local store, which only has so much room for stock. Even if you wind up going there just because of the easier returns, you'll at least have a good idea of what you're shooting for.

By the way, Windows 10 is a hot mess right now, so I recommend trying to get something with Windows 8.1 or even 7 if you can swing it. You can always upgrade in a few years if Microsoft has gotten their shit together by then.

Edited by Pocket, 10 March 2016 - 09:12 PM.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#6 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4411 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:39 PM

Ooh, that page is gonna be handy. The video card maze is one of the things that's hardest for me to work through, so breaking them down like that is helpful.

Heh..I started having gaming trouble almost as soon as I started this thread. I've been fighting an ntdll.dll error crashing Subnautica all evening. Their help forum mentions an optional Windows update fixing it, but I've been updating and fiddling with settings for hours and nothing's helped yet. Just more evidence that it's time to retire the poor thing and get a replacement.

edit: You know....the more I think about it, the more I want to take another crack at building my own setup. It won't really be any cheaper, but it has the advantage of being able to buy pieces here and there instead of everything in one big lump. I'm enjoying myself just browsing through graphics cards and cross comparing them.

One mistake I made last time was buying a small pre-built PC in order to save money and hassle by getting it pre-loaded with Windows. I ended up with a motherboard too weak to really use the card I put on it (and on top of that I had to upgrade the power supply, so there's some more money wasted).

Maybe I'll take my time, do some research, and plan it out.

Edited by Boss Borot, 11 March 2016 - 02:54 AM.

#7 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 40487 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:40 AM

Most of the questions I listed will work for individual parts too!

Also: pay attention if you buy parts. Power supplies often come with cases, and you want a 450W or higher power supply if you're going to be using a video card.

#8 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4411 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:47 PM

I'm using PC Part Picker to organize everything and help me out. It's been pretty nice so far. I spent waaay too much time last night browsing parts and comparing cpu+gpu scores. I'm gonna try to take my time and research different setups, then buy everything a bit at a time and try to find some good deals. Easier to afford better parts this way too since I don't have to get everything in one big lump.

And this time I'm making sure my motherboard can handle a generous amount of RAM and has the slots to make it possible if I decide to beef it up later :thumbsup

#9 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38522 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:04 PM

So I have been thinking of upgrading my PC. It is six years old, but it still works fairly well. I replaced the Graphics card back 2014 so I could play WOW a little bit better.

Here are the stats:

I think that I will need to build a new one, as the CPU is the only thing in it that is still up to par after all these years.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#10 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 40487 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:43 PM

Hey predaking, that case is nice... but doesn't seem to mention a power supply... at all. Just the fan for the rear. Methinks you need to add something to your parts list. Nice processor too! Don't forget to be generous with the heatsink gunk!

#11 Pocket

Pocket
  • Citizen
  • 4011 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:40 PM

Oh, yeah, and make sure you have a nice beefy sized case. I've been steadily upgrading my early-2008 off-the-shelf rig over the years, and it's accepted everything I've crammed into it so far... but I had to be super careful when choosing my current video card; only one model with the chip I wanted was small enough to fit inside the case at all, and even then it brushes right up against the second hard drive.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#12 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59735 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:11 AM

So I have been thinking of upgrading my PC. It is six years old, but it still works fairly well. I replaced the Graphics card back 2014 so I could play WOW a little bit better.

Here are the stats:

I think that I will need to build a new one, as the CPU is the only thing in it that is still up to par after all these years.

Personally I think one should always go with Nvidia chipsets over ATI

http://amzn.to/1MdjHdz

#13 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Staff
  • 38522 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:46 PM

Hey predaking, that case is nice... but doesn't seem to mention a power supply... at all. Just the fan for the rear. Methinks you need to add something to your parts list. Nice processor too! Don't forget to be generous with the heatsink gunk!

I got a power supply from Best Buy when I thought that the one I ordered was defective. Turns out that it wasn't, it was the RAM in the wrong slots on this crappy motherboard. The CPU, even though its six years old, seems to be on par with what is out there now, and I find that odd.

#14 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 40487 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:00 PM

Not really, we're hitting a functional wall with processor design. Until we can figure out a new architecture, or start large scale implementation of expensive and/or rare materials, we're not going see much better. Just more cores.

#15 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4411 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:16 PM

It took most of the year, but I finally bit the bullet and ordered stuff to put together a new PC. This old one started having motherboard and memory problems again in October, and now it's having difficulty with its networking. Time to put it to pasture.

I used PCPartPicker to keep track of my list and all the compatibility stuff, then ordered from Newegg (after making sure I couldn't get any better deals elsewhere). I browsed part after part for weeks before finally deciding on these, and whittled the list down as much as I could to save cash, using bits of my old PC where possible (which really only amounted to my power supply, HDD, and whatever fans and cables I might need extra).

I'm still waiting on parts in the mail before I can put it all together, but here's the list.

Case: APEVIA X-QPACK3-RD, micro atx. I fell in love with this case right from the start and picked everything else based around it.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A, micro atx, 32GB maximum memory.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258

RAM: Avexir Core Series 8GB, just a single stick for now. I'll grab more as I can afford 'em.

Video Card: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 750 Ti (this one was the most last-minute of all my choices, as most of the cards I was interested in sold out while I was waiting)

HDD: A decent 1TB I had handy, formatted and ready to go.

Disc Drive: I don't plan on installing it if I don't absolutely have to, but my current blu/dvd/cd unit still works nicely.

Power: My current 500W system.

Plus a bootable USB drive ready to get everything going.

There were a few things I held off on to save money, like the nice CPU cooler (Noctua NH-D9L), extra RAM, and some red led case fans to match everything else. I could use a new keyboard soon too. I'll pick them off the list gradually until I'm satisfied.

Anyway, I should have everything ready and built this weekend. I'm itching to get Steam running and try some of my games, maybe take some screenshots to show how it's doing.

Edited by Boss Borot, 02 November 2016 - 03:17 PM.

#16 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 40487 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:14 PM

Awesome sauce. These first few days are always fun... frustrating as hell as you realize "oh...I haven't installed that yet" but fun.

#17 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4411 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:06 AM

Doop. Kinda forgot to check back in. So far so good, though I'm definitely gonna need more ram (and another case fan) as soon as I can afford it.

I'm having fun getting all the kinks worked out of the new hardware. The motherboard's bios actually has mouse support and lots of neat features! (I had to drop in there to change a setting so my usb ports would actually power down with the system) It feels like The Future! :D

If I can figure out how to take screenshots in ARK Survival I'll fiddle with the settings to get a bit of a before and after example. It runs pretty good, but I still need to tune the settings to try to get it a bit less grainy.

I've already tested it with:

Subnautica: pretty, but the game's still so buggy that it frequently crashes, especially after getting the Cyclops sub. A new bug spawns multiple instances of wreckage on top of each other, which really eats up the memory. The graphics aren't much different from my old system, but draw distance and popup are a lot better now.

ARK Survival Evolved: Much better overall. When I could get the game to run on my old system I had to use the very lowest settings. The landscape and most objects were nearly untextured and using the flattest meshes, and popup was horrible. Then my system started to die and I couldn't get it to load. Now it loads up super fast, I can run it on decent settings, and it looks pretty good. Sometimes it freezes for a second when loading new areas and creatures. I'm thinking that's a memory issue.

TERA: This one ran decently on my old system, even with some of the higher settings. It'd slow down a lot in areas with lots of players, and I had to lower settings while fighting to keep it responsive. I loaded it up and only explored a town a bit, so I don't know how different it is yet. The area was pretty deserted and I didn't want to go questing or whatever (kind of forgot the controls too). I'll do more with it later.

Minecraft (vanilla): A bit laggy while loading new chunks, but liquid smooth after that. Max settings for most things except for draw distance, which I left a few levels down from max. I'll try mods through ATL later, as that was the biggest drain on my old system.

PS2 emulation: Mmmm...tasty. I could run some games previously, but I tested a few I had problems with before and it's AOK. I just need to fiddle with settings for individual games to clear up some issues.

Next up: reinstall Final Fantasy XIV and give it a try the next time they have a free play period. It's what I built my old system for, and it ran fairly well on middle-low settings until the system started to die. After that it'd load up fine, but got really laggy and took forever to load new areas.

#18 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Staff
  • 38522 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:09 PM

Thread Necromancy time!

So with Fallout 76 coming out this year, I think it might be time to upgrade my PC again.

I can get the specifics when I get home, but I have 8gb of DDR3 Ram, 2 TB HDD, a midgrade Graphics card from 2014 (2 GB card, the same one listed above), and a mid grade AMD CPU from 2013*.

I am thinking that I might be able to just upgrade the RAM to 16GB and Replace the Graphics card with a new 1050TI. That whole upgrade will cost me around $300 but it would allow me to play a lot of games, and then in the future only my CPU would be the bottleneck.

What do you guys think?

*(I should note that my Previous Motherboard and Intel I7 CPU, I swapped out for the ones I had in my Home Theater PC. It is much more stable and pretty fast still.)

Edited by The Predaking, 14 June 2018 - 04:11 PM.

#19 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 40487 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:19 PM

We will be able to tell you more once you can list the specs on mobo, and CPU. 16 gigs of ram, and a 2gig GPU would let you play lots (if you don't mind lowering the graphical settings.), but yeah, four year old kit is still pretty up to date. Assuming your mobo can even step up in ram. All of them have limits, and their all different depending on model and manufacturer. They haven't made many strides in really making chips faster in the last few years, just better at faking it with improved multitasking, and more cores. Most software still doesn't use multiple cores, and those that do only tend to use 2.

Other than that: a faster hard drive would speed things up as well. I will never stop pimping for SSD's, so there you go.

#20 Pocket

Pocket
  • Citizen
  • 4011 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:21 PM

It takes quite a while for CPUs to become a bottleneck these days. My computer is still plugging along on the Core 2 Quad it came with 10 years ago, and the most recent AAA game I tried running on it was the demo for The Evil Within, which somehow manages to run smoothly despite the minimum system requirements being an i7.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pc, motherboard, gaming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users