Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2020 - 08:42 AM)

Well we

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 January 2020 - 06:58 PM)

Bold of you all to assume we won't wipe ourselves out in 50 years.

@  Benbot : (22 January 2020 - 04:27 PM)

There will be no UBI, people will just live in a ditch while they celebrate owning the libs.

@  Rycochet : (22 January 2020 - 03:24 PM)

In 50 years, retail will be dead because all stores are staffless fully automated operations controlled by Amazon. The UBI will be less than a fifth of what it actually costs to live after two decades of cuts and.a steadfast refusal to match inflation.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 January 2020 - 02:55 PM)

In fifty years retail will be a thing of the past through robots, printers and Universal Basic Income.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (21 January 2020 - 11:16 AM)

Big retailers just don't want money anymore, so let's not give them any,

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:12 PM)

This place is a madhouse, feels like being cloned.

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 January 2020 - 03:38 PM)

I took one step beyond the outer limits to the twilight zone.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 10:19 AM)

All retail is basically the same.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2020 - 10:00 AM)

Walmart just needs to go bankrupt already.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:19 AM)

They didn't put the 35th anniversary stuff back out until after new year. I'm no retail expert, but I feel like having stock on the shelf is better than the back. Especially toys at christmas time.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Yeah, my local walmart took away the 35th anniversary endcap weeks before Christmas and left the Transformer section empty well past Christmas.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Mine only has the 35th Anniversary Voyagers. A whole lot of them.

@  Telly : (19 January 2020 - 11:35 PM)

just be happy your walmart even stocks voyagers. mine doesnt

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 January 2020 - 08:53 PM)

Figures that Walmart finally restocks Studio Voyagers...with Wave ONE

@  ThunderWear : (19 January 2020 - 09:27 AM)

I snagged Rainmakers for half off.  They make me want jolly ranchers.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 04:21 PM)

I was using my account on another comptuer, and oddly it seemed to default to $US rather than converting it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 January 2020 - 02:02 PM)

You should be able to set eBay to display in your local currency, although personally I like to know the actual currency the item is listed in so I know if I need to account for forex fees or not

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:34 AM)

I'd also like to take the opportunity to say I despise Ebay for showing the list prices in US money.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:23 AM)

Well there is an overpriced limited edition, but I don't want to pay that much money for it.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:21 AM)

Well great. The one Usagi Yojimbo volume I don't have and it's out of stock.

@  Rycochet : (17 January 2020 - 06:15 PM)

I both love and hate that the Alien franchise seems to have had more luck finding a niche as a line of children's toys than it has at producing worthwhile films.

@  Donocropolis : (17 January 2020 - 06:35 AM)

I've seen them on the shelves at Walmart. They're pretty great looking retro Aliens toys. https://www.walmart....-Vary/934039489

@  fourteenwings : (17 January 2020 - 01:11 AM)

IIRC somebody on here mentioned an unbranded Alien toy a couple of weeks ago? It seems like it was actually part of a collection for the Alien movie series by Lanard. Mattel's making some stuff too.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 January 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Is it really a worse name than say, HMS Spanker?

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 January 2020 - 02:36 PM)

'Boaty McBoatface' was a actual thing?! Wow.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 January 2020 - 02:00 PM)

Might be worth bringing back this thread.

@  ThunderWear : (14 January 2020 - 01:53 PM)

Of course I had the idea to download all the pdfs like a week too late. Anyone got an archive?

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 January 2020 - 12:48 PM)

The Collector Club is dead. Seems like it all came down shortly after New Year

@  ThunderWear : (13 January 2020 - 11:06 PM)

I can't get to the collector club website. anyone else? I was literally going to download all the fiction to finish reading.

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 January 2020 - 04:50 AM)

News today is all 'there's a CHANCE it would snow in July' and 'dogs COULD bite back'.

@  Benbot : (12 January 2020 - 10:05 PM)

Holy crap, do many people get hurt by them?

@  wonko the sane? : (12 January 2020 - 02:11 PM)

Even in fallout, they never carpet bombed with nukes.

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 January 2020 - 12:43 PM)

I hope the stockpiled nuclear weapons of the US and Russia are accounted for then.

@  Nevermore : (12 January 2020 - 12:22 PM)

Geez. 1760 (!) bombs from World War II that had not detonated and were still armed have been found. That's only the numbers for the federal state of Germany I live in, and only for the first three quarters of 2019. For all of 2018, the total number was 2811 (!!) bombs.

@  CVReynolds : (11 January 2020 - 11:05 PM)

I've been wanting a Tarantulas that turns into a more realistic tarantula for a long time. Maybe Takara will someday do a Masterpiece, which would be neat. But I really want to see a modernized look like in the IDW comics.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 January 2020 - 09:43 PM)

We need more Waspinators.. and rattraps.

@  Ashley : (11 January 2020 - 07:09 PM)

I'm on board with that

@  Dekafox : (11 January 2020 - 06:17 PM)

What I'm hearing is we need Cyberverse Waspinator

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 January 2020 - 01:27 AM)

He's appeared across more branding changes than Waspinator, so maybe it's more the other way around.

@  Ashley : (10 January 2020 - 12:01 AM)

is C3PO the Waspinator of Star Wars? he'll live forever, because it's funny for him to suffer

@  Sabrblade : (09 January 2020 - 11:52 PM)

He's still waiting for them to be funny.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 January 2020 - 10:35 PM)

Why?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 04:02 PM)

I've been watching South Park, Family Guy and The Simpsons with a straight face for a decade now.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 January 2020 - 03:18 PM)

If that's what it takes to get you to take the medication, sure.

@  Bass X0 : (09 January 2020 - 01:52 PM)

If I go crazy, will you still call me Superman?

@  fourteenwings : (09 January 2020 - 11:37 AM)

I mean, it is easier to protect HDDs, and you can retransfer the data over and over forever?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (09 January 2020 - 10:45 AM)

Not in this comparison. He's making his own files, so they're (presumably) not restricted by DRM, so he can copy them as many times as he wants. It's potentially more reliable in the long term than hoping the specific copies you originally bought never accrue any damage for the rest of your life.

@  Echowarrior : (09 January 2020 - 10:44 AM)

I prefer physical copies too. Easier to protect something physical and tangible.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 09:55 AM)

I prefer having physical copies.

Photo
- - - - -

Why can't HasTak use the GoBots?

GoBots New design Gargent

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
147 replies to this topic

#21 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 29298 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:29 AM

Is there a link to Kyde's original statement of being told "don't do it again" after Fracture?

Also, if such a statement was made, how did Deadlift happen afterward? And wasn't there another GoBots homage figure with a different name too?

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#22 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19322 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:38 AM

I'm sure you can find Kyde's discussion if you search for it - it's come up a couple of times.

As for Deadlift, while he was an orange forklift, that's pretty much where his homage to Spoons ended as his bot mode and face bore almost no resemblance (aside from two arms and legs). The "34" sticker wink was just that and probably slipped by.

Edited by Dake, 22 February 2016 - 11:40 AM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#23 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27049 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

And wasn't there another GoBots homage figure with a different name too?

There was a Beast Wars Inferno homage that ended up coincidentally looking like some Gobot.

#24 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12550 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:04 PM

There was another bike-mode bot with a Night Ranger inspired deco, but that never saw release. I hasten to point out that Deadlift and... whoever's bios didn't even make reference to the GoBots their decos were based on, and neither was as... overt and distinct as Fracture/Crasher.

And I'd also like to point out that Hasbro's John Warden said pretty much all this when asked at Toy Fair this year. The rights are such a snarl with both Bandai and HB having "interest" in them that it's easier to just sidestep the issue beyond using the "Gobots" Trademark just to hold onto it.

M "And It's Not Like There's Not A Lot Of Stuff Hasbro Unambiguously Owns That's Obscure To Dredge Up For New Toys" Sipher

The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#25 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:12 PM

Is there a link to Kyde's original statement of being told "don't do it again" after Fracture?

Also, if such a statement was made, how did Deadlift happen afterward? And wasn't there another GoBots homage figure with a different name too?

Dake outlines Deadlift pretty well--it likely slipped by because "orange forklift" isn't going to raise any eyebrows when it comes to likeness. Even stamping the number 34 on it is still pretty oblique as far as callbacks go. Of course virtually all of the ROTF scouts were repainted and many of them were weird and wonderful homages (Red Baron!), but that's another matter.

There is also Movie Backtrack, who is a Gobots Night Ranger reference. However, given that without the license plate he's really just a blue motorcycle who shares no great resemblance to the Gobot (not even the same shade of blue...) and that license plates are infamous sources of in-jokes, I doubt anyone thought twice about it.

Edited by Lukeblast, 22 February 2016 - 12:17 PM.

#26 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1798 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:28 PM

Jim pretty much lays out the best reason we're not likely to see Gobots: even if Hasbro owns absolutely everything else, they're still based on things Bandai owns. Changing things up enough that it isn't free advertising for or actionable by Bandai results in Gobots In Name Only... and is that really worth it? Since the bulk of the appeal would be in nostalgia and they can't (won't) use the designs, Hasbro would just end up competing with themselves by making a second transforming robot line that is fundamentally the same as the highly-successful one they have now.

I think the bottom line here is simply that Hasbro doesn't really need or want to make Gobots. They just don't want Bandai to do it.

Bingo! We're very likely to see the name GoBots used from time to time, and might see some fictional elements get appropriated, but the core Bandai-toy based characters (which are, of course, the heart of the the GoBots franchise) are unlikely to ever be major Transformers players or get a proper toy release. Hasbro has no incentive to use GoBots as anything other than a Transformers adjunct, and certainly doesn't want to have multiple disparate robot franchises to manage.

There is little reason for anyone to focus on the few bits Hasbro owns that may spark a lawsuit. The nonsense with the Transformers/G.I. Joe Skystriker lawsuit, despite Hasbro winning the case with prejudice, pretty much consigns the Jetfire design or anything close to the dustbins of history. 

Well, this is not entirely accurate considering we got Leader Jetfire a year or so later. If anything that particular case should have comforted and emboldened Hasbro. Thanks to Harmony Gold's forcing of the issue, they now have a current ruling that states they can make all the Jetfires they want.

Actually, that's an interesting point. The HG lawsuit was filed in July of 2013. The Jetfire toy was first spotted in February of 2014. We know the production pipeline is some 18-24 months long, so that toy was in production long before the lawsuit. In fact, were I a betting man, I'd suggest that the reason the lawsuit went to judgement as opposed to settlement might well have had something to do with Hasbro knowing they had another toy scheduled to hit shelves, a toy with a much larger production run. But I'd still be surprised to see, say, the Jetfire box art show up on a tee shirt or anything any time soon.

And I'd also like to point out that Hasbro's John Warden said pretty much all this when asked at Toy Fair this year. The rights are such a snarl with both Bandai and HB having "interest" in them that it's easier to just sidestep the issue beyond using the "Gobots" Trademark just to hold onto it.

M "And It's Not Like There's Not A Lot Of Stuff Hasbro Unambiguously Owns That's Obscure To Dredge Up For New Toys" Sipher

Yup. And let's not forget that Hasbro is primarily a TOY company. THAT'S their core competency, THAT'S the composition of their corporate DNA. No matter how much of the non-toy portion of the GoBots franchise Hasbro owns, and it's (probably) a lot, very little of that matters if they can't develop little plastic models of them to sell. Much more profitable to mine existing IP (and there's 30+ years of it) or create new IP that it unambiguously owns and can merchandise. 

-JimS

#27 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39236 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

There is also Movie Backtrack, who is a Gobots Night Ranger reference. However, given that without the license plate he's really just a blue motorcycle who shares no great resemblance to the Gobot (not even the same shade of blue...) and that license plates are infamous sources of in-jokes, I doubt anyone thought twice about it.

And even that one has the backup of being a University of Kentucky Wildcats nod, just in case.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#28 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

...no. No, not even. No.

Fracture only got to exist because Kyde could prove that the car-mode deco exists on a real-world vehicle. That's what we call "plausible deniability".

You can't copyright a transformation scheme. You can patent a VERY SPECIFIC toy, but a toy that has the same jointing but is different otherwise is not infringement.

M "Just... No. No. Nnnnnnnnnnnnnno" Sipher

This issue is a big part of why, back when we still had "Ask Hasbro", I was wanting to know if the Department of Defense would allow Hasbro to use real-world American military markings: the markings for Skull Squadron in "Macross" were based on the markings for VFA-103, AKA the "Jolly Roger" squadron. If Hasbro had permission to do Jolly Roger markings, then Harmony Gold couldn't say squat.

The other reason is that there's a surprisingly large market for realistic military memorabilia, meaning that for brands like TF, Joe, and Micro Machines Hasbro could open up an entirely new market, especially if they could get specific markings on specific vehicles or alt modes. I live right next door to a major military base, and so I can tell quite a few stories of how in-demand such items really are.

#29 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39236 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

...no. No, not even. No.

Fracture only got to exist because Kyde could prove that the car-mode deco exists on a real-world vehicle. That's what we call "plausible deniability".

You can't copyright a transformation scheme. You can patent a VERY SPECIFIC toy, but a toy that has the same jointing but is different otherwise is not infringement.

M "Just... No. No. Nnnnnnnnnnnnnno" Sipher

This issue is a big part of why, back when we still had "Ask Hasbro", I was wanting to know if the Department of Defense would allow Hasbro to use real-world American military markings: the markings for Skull Squadron in "Macross" were based on the markings for VFA-103, AKA the "Jolly Roger" squadron. If Hasbro had permission to do Jolly Roger markings, then Harmony Gold couldn't say squat.

Except Hasbro doesn't use those markings in the first place and Harmony Gold would sue anyway because that's basically all Harmony Gold does now.  I don't know the specifics of the HG's suit, but I guarantee suing Hasbro over using something Hasbro was not actually using was not part of it.

The other reason is that there's a surprisingly large market for realistic military memorabilia, meaning that for brands like TF, Joe, and Micro Machines Hasbro could open up an entirely new market, especially if they could get specific markings on specific vehicles or alt modes. I live right next door to a major military base, and so I can tell quite a few stories of how in-demand such items really are.

No.  Living next door to a military base skews your perception of actual demand.

#30 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 66382 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

Jim pretty much lays out the best reason we're not likely to see Gobots: even if Hasbro owns absolutely everything else, they're still based on things Bandai owns. Changing things up enough that it isn't free advertising for or actionable by Bandai results in Gobots In Name Only... and is that really worth it? Since the bulk of the appeal would be in nostalgia and they can't (won't) use the designs, Hasbro would just end up competing with themselves by making a second transforming robot line that is fundamentally the same as the highly-successful one they have now.

I think the bottom line here is simply that Hasbro doesn't really need or want to make Gobots. They just don't want Bandai to do it.

Bingo! We're very likely to see the name GoBots used from time to time, and might see some fictional elements get appropriated, but the core Bandai-toy based characters (which are, of course, the heart of the the GoBots franchise) are unlikely to ever be major Transformers players or get a proper toy release. Hasbro has no incentive to use GoBots as anything other than a Transformers adjunct, and certainly doesn't want to have multiple disparate robot franchises to manage.

There is little reason for anyone to focus on the few bits Hasbro owns that may spark a lawsuit. The nonsense with the Transformers/G.I. Joe Skystriker lawsuit, despite Hasbro winning the case with prejudice, pretty much consigns the Jetfire design or anything close to the dustbins of history. 

Well, this is not entirely accurate considering we got Leader Jetfire a year or so later. If anything that particular case should have comforted and emboldened Hasbro. Thanks to Harmony Gold's forcing of the issue, they now have a current ruling that states they can make all the Jetfires they want.

Actually, that's an interesting point. The HG lawsuit was filed in July of 2013. The Jetfire toy was first spotted in February of 2014. We know the production pipeline is some 18-24 months long, so that toy was in production long before the lawsuit. In fact, were I a betting man, I'd suggest that the reason the lawsuit went to judgement as opposed to settlement might well have had something to do with Hasbro knowing they had another toy scheduled to hit shelves, a toy with a much larger production run. But I'd still be surprised to see, say, the Jetfire box art show up on a tee shirt or anything any time soon.

http://www.stylinonl...ire-g1-art.html

I did buy this at BotCon 2014.  Not sure when it came out but I think it was right around that time.  :D

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#31 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 17871 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:20 PM

"Cyclepath" is the relatively kid friendly name I've alway had rolling around in my head.

Some group of us determined we wanted a Decepticon Street Action Team redeco as Cyclepath, Skatred and Mopedophile back when Armada came out.

I'm sure it's coming any day now.

#32 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 3181 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:18 PM

I feel like I shouldn't expect otherwise from "Deathsaurus looks like a cat" and yet.

I said he looked more like a gryphon than a dinosaur or even a traditional dragon.

Which he does.

And that was like ten hugging years ago.

CLG's chest is literally the same part of the gun as Megatron's chest.  The EXACT same part.  LOOK AT HIM.

But that means zero as the toy transforms completely differently and, you know, looks completely different in every meaningful way.

#33 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 17871 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

If you replaced his arms and head and chest and aesthetics with those of a Megatron, he'd look just like Megatron.

#34 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 3181 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Why yes, yes you are. Keep on tilting at those windmills, they look just like Omega Supreme don'tcha know?

#35 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39236 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:51 PM

CLG's chest is literally the same part of the gun as Megatron's chest.  The EXACT same part.  LOOK AT HIM.

That's a bit like saying every Transformer with a hood chest is Prowl.

#36 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Staff
  • 11058 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:55 PM

If you replaced his arms and head and chest and aesthetics with those of a Megatron, he'd look just like Megatron.

Tip to toe, that's a Megatron!

unknown.png

#37 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32945 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:58 PM

original.jpg

Not quite this bad yet, but let's not let it go there.

Edited by CORVUS, 22 February 2016 - 03:59 PM.

“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#38 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 3181 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:58 PM

I could understand it it was being compared to Browning, the torso and arm transformation are pretty close but no, not Megatron.

#39 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23000 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:01 PM

Cy-Terminate.

Now I can't help thinking that I'm surprised there wasn't a Terminator/BattleStar Galactica crossover comic from the 90's.

#40 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 17871 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

You inhabit a strange world.

EDIT: Do you understand how G1 Megatron's arm transformation works? Both of his arms come from the rear of the slide. Also, their fist-ends are pointed forward toward his torso, not out the back. That's how the hammer ends on his shoulders. Both of them.

Edited by LV!, 22 February 2016 - 04:17 PM.