Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

@  wonko the sane? : (12 June 2021 - 09:00 PM)

Just don't drop him.

@  Kaon : (12 June 2021 - 08:03 PM)

man this chat is nothing but Bass X)

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 07:08 PM)

Carefull, he is a Bass Xo.

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 June 2021 - 05:53 PM)

Aw, it's not even a shiny.

@  Sabrblade : (12 June 2021 - 05:27 PM)

A wild Bass X0 has appeared!

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 05:20 PM)

I didn't even try this time.

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 03:43 AM)

8ass X÷ has hijacked this conversation.

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 03:37 AM)

Its Bass X0. I named myself after my three favourite Mega Man characters - Bass, X and Zero. I did consider going with Vile Bass X0, but that would have been going too far.

Photo

South Dakota: No state for Transgenders?

South Dakota Transgender HB-100B

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
348 replies to this topic

#21 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36689 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:02 PM

North Carolina is the newest state on the "run by dickweeds" list.

The government of Charlotte, North Carolina, wants to do something simple and admirable: ban businesses from discriminating against LGBTQ people, much in the same way they can't discriminate against people based on their race or religion today. So it passed an ordinance doing just that on Monday night.

But North Carolina's state government appears to really dislike the idea. Prior to the law's passage, Gov. Pat McCrory warned that the Charlotte City Council's passage of such a law would most likely cause the state to overturn the measure.

"This shift in policy could also create major public safety issues by putting citizens in possible danger from deviant actions by individuals taking improper advantage of a bad policy," McCrory said. "Also, this action of allowing a person with male anatomy, for example, to use a female restroom or locker room will most likely cause immediate state legislative intervention which I would support as governor."

Then, after the city council passed the law, North Carolina House Speaker Tim Moore doubled down on the threat of state intervention:

The Charlotte City Council has gone against all common sense and has created a major public safety issue by opening all bathrooms and changing rooms to the general public. This ordinance is impossible to regulate as intended, and creates undue regulatory burdens on private businesses. I join my conservative colleagues and Gov. McCrory in exploring legislative intervention to correct this radical course.

To be clear, the law simply bans businesses and public spaces within Charlotte from discriminating against someone based on sexual orientation or gender identity. And that includes allowing transgender people use the bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity — something that seems obvious to transgender people like Michael Hughes.

It's unclear, however, how the state will overturn the law. According to the Charlotte Observer, the state could strike down the entire ordinance, repeal only the parts that have to do with bathrooms, or put the law to a public vote in a general election.

But whatever step the North Carolina legislature takes, it could revert Charlotte to a status quo that currently allows anti-LGBTQ discrimination.

Urgh.

#22 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44818 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:50 PM

So... laws which prevent discrimination are liable to be abused, but laws which promote discrimination aren't?

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#23 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

And we're back to meh

• Administrator
  • 35321 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:12 PM

In a just world Ric Flair (who may be conservative but has never shown any inkling towards homophobia) would rush in, chop Tim Moore to the floor, and put that sonofabitch in the Figure Four for dishonoring the Queens City.

Edited by Wheelimus, 23 February 2016 - 09:13 PM.

#24 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*angry horse noises*

• Administrator
  • 42341 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:49 PM

On one hand, this sucks. This is now a thing. It's spreading, and it's going to hurt a lot of people.

On the other hand, it is possibly a good thing that we're seeing this all of a sudden and on such a widespread scale. Progress on transgender rights has been slow because it's something nobody in power has wanted to talk about. Now, all of a sudden, on multiple fronts, state legislators are choosing to pick a fight over this. If they don't want to see progress on transgender rights, they goofed. The most effective way to keep progress slow would be to continue keeping the issue quiet. Instead, for some unfathomable reason they're choosing to pick a fight. I don't think they're prepared for what they're starting.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#25 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44818 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

Social regressives are never prepared for the fight they start: they are ignorant of their own history, social context, usually the law as well. Which is generally what happens when you think society is still, and should remain, stuck in the 1950's.

#26 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36689 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:15 PM

The RNC officially endorses "bathroom bills"

In a move that is sure to bring cheer to anti-transgender activists and the Republican presidential candidates who seek their votes nationwide, the Republican National Committee has approved a resolution endorsing so-called bathroom bills, reports the Washington Blade.

The bill that would be the first of this kind is on the Republican governor’s desk in South Dakota, and similar measures are advancing in other states, where (mostly) GOP lawmakers are attempting to restrict transgender students from using bathrooms that align with their gender identity. 

“The Republican National Committee calls on the Department of Education to rescind its interpretation of Title IX that wrongly includes facility use issues by transgender students,” the resolution reads, according to the Blade. The resolution passed quietly last month, and was first noted on Twitter by Time magazine’s Zeke Miller.

The resolution characterizes “bathroom bills” as legislation to “protect student privacy”: “The Republican National Committee encourages state legislatures to enact laws that protect student privacy and limit the use of restrooms, locker rooms and similar facilities to members of the sex to whom the facility is designated,” the resolution states.

The resolution rejects the Obama administration’s interpretation of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to prohibit discrimination against transgender students “governmental overreach.”

In contrast to the life experience of transgender individuals around the world, the RNC defines gender as “the physical condition of being male or female,” and it claims gender is irrevocably determined at birth and can be confirmed via a test of DNA. 

And in a clear attempt to circumvent pending court battles and statehouse skirmishes, the resolution says the term “gender identity” was not in the language approved by Congress under Title IX. It notes that some courts have ruled the gender provisions of the law don’t apply to transgender students, despite guidance from the Obama administration.

If Trump really is going to leave this party a smoldering crater, it can't happen soon enough. These people (and I do use the term loosely) do not deserve to govern a nation full of minorities that it has virtually declared war on. Not just transgender people but women, gays, Latinos, Muslims, and others.

Asked for comment, the Democratic National Committee was swift to condemn what it called Republican “hypocrisy” on this and other issues:

“The GOP can’t find time to consider a Supreme Court nominee, or pass immigration reform, or raise the minimum wage, or enact equal pay for women, but when it comes to attacking trans people, they’ve got all the time in the world,” wrote DNC spokesman T.J. Helmstetter in an email to The Advocate.

BURN.

Also, the article links to another on bathroom bills: "more than three dozen proposed new laws across 16 states"

Edited by Patchouli Knowledge, 26 February 2016 - 06:20 PM.

#27 M Virion

M Virion

Sin against Creation

• Retired Staff
  • 19644 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

Well of course. They need a new target to rile their supporters up since outright homophobia is growing less favorable. 

#28 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 14210 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

and in a startling display of SANITY, the governor vetoes. 

http://www.joemygod....restrooms-bill/

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#29 Ironbite

Ironbite

TIME JUDGED ALL!

• Supporter
  • 29933 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

Holy shit!

Ironbite-someone must have told him that transpeople can still vote and vote in droves.

xC9l3eY.gif

#30 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49665 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:57 PM

This really was a victory for Team Sanity.

Such legislation would just increase the oppressive hellscape that is the modern school enviornment - especially High School.

#31 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44818 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:02 PM

This really was a victory for Team Sanity.

Such legislation would just increase the oppressive hellscape that is the modern school enviornment - especially High School.

Yes, but let's face it: everything increases the oppressive hellscape that is the modern school environment.

#32 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36689 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:55 PM

Thank goodness. Just have to hope they don't override the veto.

#33 Ashley

Ashley

The nerd formerly known as Waspinator

• Citizen
  • 23934 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:00 AM

Good! These kinds of laws are horribly discriminatory and deserve to die.

Though, the bit about the DNA test makes me laugh. Even ignoring the difference between physical sex and the societal concept of gender, they seem to be ignoring that there are cases where DNA is not that simple. There are various intersex-related genetic conditions that do not conform to the standard XX / XY system. Those kind of break this concept.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

#34 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25638 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:11 AM

Try to explain to the people that make these laws, that there are people whose genetics won't tell them if they are destined for pink or blue, and their heads will explode.
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#35 Ashley

Ashley

The nerd formerly known as Waspinator

• Citizen
  • 23934 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:34 PM

Yeah, I don't think they're able to comprehend that complicated a worldview. Because yeah, this is a thing:

https://en.wikipedia...tivity_syndrome

It's possible for someone to have a natural female phenotype but have a Y chromosome. Sex and gender are WAY more complicated than these people appear to realize.

Edited by Waspinator, 02 March 2016 - 12:35 PM.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

#36 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*angry horse noises*

• Administrator
  • 42341 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

This is what I was saying. The push for these laws will be a good thing. We will win. The sooner they force the battle to happen, the sooner they'll lose.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#37 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

And we're back to meh

• Administrator
  • 35321 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

Which is the real reason we got this veto. The asshat hasn't changed his mind on trans people, he's decided not to be on the hook for this epic fail when the history books are written. South Dakota was a surprising choice anyway. My money was on Alabama for the win stupid.

#38 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11464 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

you got it all wrong wheels... Alabama won't pass any anti-trans laws until the federal government says they can't.

Edited by Glenn, 02 March 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#39 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

Professional procrastinator

• Citizen
  • 5569 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:43 PM

Thank goodness. Just have to hope they don't override the veto.

They tried to re-pass it.... they where told it was best to 'wait until next year'.

Howabouts 'not at all'?

spoilers are a stabbing weight upon my soul.... crushing it into a dark existential nothingness

#40 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

Professional procrastinator

• Citizen
  • 5569 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:47 PM

Sorry I didn't get back on reporting the Veto.  That is one bit of good news in the name of sanity.

Sadly, we still have this...

http://legis.sd.gov/...tm&Session=2016

Legalizes businesses and workplaces to discriminate under the excuse of 'Religious Beleifs'.  OH, the 'Best' part is it isn't just limited to LGBT.... but also single/unwed mothers.  That's right... they can fire/refuse to serve women who are pregnant/have children out of wedlock.

How 'pro-life' of them.

spoilers are a stabbing weight upon my soul.... crushing it into a dark existential nothingness

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: South Dakota, Transgender, HB-100B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users